Page 99 of 195 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 5846

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    when i was younger i thought picture discs were essentially two layers of vinyl with a printed piece of something between them (which would make a lot more sense to do and wouldn't affect the sound quality). it was pretty disappointing when i realized i was wrong.
    Uh oh...that's what I *still* think...what is it then?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    You aren't wrong (but I think they may have been specifically commenting on how it sounds rather than the manufacturing process);

Some picture discs sound decent (and certainly no worse than a shellac 78RPM disc to my ears) but quality varies.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 04-12-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Mondo released the soundtrack for Silent Hill on snowy beige/white vinyl today.

Also, Mondo sold out of the soundtrack for Silent Hill today.

https://mondotees.com/products/silen...nt=34503230926

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    New additions:

The Black Dahlia Murder - Rip 'Em All EP (Record Store Day 2014 LE Yellow vinyl, limited to 200)
    Ghost - Popestar EP
    Me and That Man - Songs of Love and Death (LE Gold with Black Smoke vinyl)

P.S. Sorry about the sizes...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    What do you guys think of test pressings? I sometimes feel like people are bootlegging them and are trying to pass them along as real . Idk I'm very ignorant on this topic and I'm just going off the top of my head. What do you guys think ?

I 100 percent know there are real test pressings out there I just feel there is surge of them coming into discogs lately without any history. I'm asking because I have almost pulled the trigger on a few of them.
    Last edited by Rdm; 04-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    What do you guys think of test pressings? I sometimes feel like people are bootlegging them and are trying to pass them along as real . Idk I'm very ignorant on this topic and I'm just going off the top of my head. What do you guys think ?

I 100 percent know there are real test pressings out there I just feel there is surge of them coming into discogs lately without any history. I'm asking because I have almost pulled the trigger on a few of them.
    i've never heard of/seen a bootleg test pressing. the only test pressings i have are "Wild's End" by Typesetter (my friend's band; i bought a multi-pack direct from the label of all three vinyl colors & a test pressing for $40), "The Tropic Rot" by Poison The Well, and the two records i've had pressed.

what were you trying to get that you think might be a bootleg? when you say there's a surge of them coming into discogs, do you mean of older records that are suddenly showing up there? lots of things drive people to sell their records so it's possible they're 100% real and just became more valuable. checking the discogs release info is usually pretty helpful. if anything says "unofficial" or doesn't have a year associated with its release, it's almost certainly a bootleg (like how there are about 12 different bootleg versions of "Songs For The Deaf" by QOTSA and only two or three proper pressings). but i'm not sure about test pressings. i guess they'd be easier to fake because they tend to not have artwork.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    i've never heard of/seen a bootleg test pressing. the only test pressings i have are "Wild's End" by Typesetter (my friend's band; i bought a multi-pack direct from the label of all three vinyl colors & a test pressing for $40), "The Tropic Rot" by Poison The Well, and the two records i've had pressed.

what were you trying to get that you think might be a bootleg? when you say there's a surge of them coming into discogs, do you mean of older records that are suddenly showing up there? lots of things drive people to sell their records so it's possible they're 100% real and just became more valuable. checking the discogs release info is usually pretty helpful. if anything says "unofficial" or doesn't have a year associated with its release, it's almost certainly a bootleg (like how there are about 12 different bootleg versions of "Songs For The Deaf" by QOTSA and only two or three proper pressings). but i'm not sure about test pressings. i guess they'd be easier to fake because they tend to not have artwork.
    The one I was looking at was the national- high violet - the record is in a sleeve that has the year 2016 by the barcode on it but the record came out in 2010, so I'm super suspect on it . What do you think?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Unless you have reliable confirmation directly from the artist/record company that said test pressing is genuine, there's really no way to tell (presuming that the stamper for the test was not rejected, and the deadwax is identical to a commercial pressing). I mean, perhaps the inner label is plain/unmarked, but that might just be over-stock and not a test pressing. If there's a barcode on it, particularly one with the wrong year, I'd say that's a red flag.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    "The Tropic Rot" by Poison The Well
    You lucky son of a bitch.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    You lucky son of a bitch.
    yeah, and i know it's real because it was given to me as a gift by a friend who purchased it directly from chris hornbrook.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    a blessing from a local shop, "Hey, we're getting only x copies of that RSD release you asked about, you want us to put it aside for you?" .... .... .... Yes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Two new additions, both from grindcore masters, Napalm Death

Napalm Death - Utilitarian (LE to 100 Copies, Clear Vinyl)

Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat (LE to 800 copies, Red Vinyl)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting up early and standing in line for RSD stuff? If luck prevails I'll be able to hit up three shops before noon...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Anyone finds a copy of David Bowie's No Plan EP vinyl tomorrow please buy me a copy and PM me. I'll pay for face value and shipping costs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Stopped in to my local shop after work to see if they had any pre-RSD gems out only to find copies of Before the Flood and KMFDM's Symbols on the shelf. So frustrating that a shop gets records on the day of release, but I don't even get as much as an update for my pre-orders. I ordered Before the Flood 6 months ago and Symbols 3 1/2 months ago! I'm starting to think that artist preorders are bullshit. I'd rather just hope for the best at a shop. Hell, at least I'd have em on time!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm just getting into vinyl but with the purchase of most of the NIN vinyl plus various Lou Reed, & Brian Eno vinyl. It is time for me to buy a turntable, so who better to ask then the vinyl aficionados on this thread. Keep in mind I'm a musician and I would rather spend $500 on virtual instruments or a mic or something for my home studio, then a turntable, but I will listen to anything you guys want to recommend. Thank you for your recommendations.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Anyone finds a copy of David Bowie's No Plan EP vinyl tomorrow please buy me a copy and PM me. I'll pay for face value and shipping costs.
    Is there a special RSD vinyl for this because you can buy it direct from his website here http://store.davidbowie.com/music-2/no-plan-vinyl.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Is there a special RSD vinyl for this because you can buy it direct from his website here http://store.davidbowie.com/music-2/no-plan-vinyl.html

Yes, it's a clear blue press for RSD.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Damn, now I want one, I guess I'm at the mercy of the pushers and the drug dealers on eBay.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Just added:

Madonna - Like a Virgin
    Toto - Toto
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Instrumentalist

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    These followed me home today...

"At Home" by Shocking Blue (sounds good to my ears... "Venus" and "Hot sand" sound very much like the original 7" I have... easy to hear the sound that Cobain liked and lifted for Nirvana in it, they did cover "Love Buzz" after all)
    "Aquarium" by Aqua (quality remastering job)
    "Barbie Girl" (7" single) by Aqua (this version of Barbie Girl is a bit more bass heavy and if you want to hear lazy techno, the Karaoke version shall demonstrate that for you)
    "Batdance" (12" single) by Prince (a little unhappy that the original isn't featured on this is but it sounds great...)
    "Apache" by The Shadows (quite nice! very clear and remastered well)
    "Groove is in the heart" (12" single) by Deee-Lite (exactly what the doctor ordered) (no problems with the pressing and still a fun song.... the b-side is alright)
    "Starship Africa" by Creation Rebel (awesome! a space-y version of African Head Charge... if you're into chill/ambient, give this a shot)
    "Mad Professor meets Jah9 - In The Midst Of the Storm" by Mad Professor & Jah9 (a bit German experimental, dub and trip hop... I like it...)
    "The Centennial Collection - The Complete Recordings" by Robert Johnson (bloody fantastic! excellent job on the mastering... sounds better than the 78s I've cleaned up but only by a little... but damn is it a nice collection if you're into early blues recordings)
    Last edited by MrLobster; 04-28-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added commentary on the vinyl I've listened to so far

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I went to the pushers and drug dealers on eBay to get my fix, I bought one. Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Holy good God.
    I just found a bunch of Nat King Cole records in the old family house.
    Also Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones by the Monkees.

Edit: also the stink of these old records is unreal. Jeasus.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That actually wasn't a RSD exclusive. It officially came out on Friday. I'd preordered it months ago and received it yesterday.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    That actually wasn't a RSD exclusive. It officially came out on Friday. I'd preordered it months ago and received it yesterday.
    I read reports saying it was RSD exclusive on some website last week? There was discrepancies with the article I read as they didn't know if it was UK or US though.

Oh well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I read reports saying it was RSD exclusive on some website last week? There was discrepancies with the article I read as they didn't know if it was UK or US though.

Oh well.
    Definitely wasn't exclusive in the US. I don't know about other countries though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    this isn't a dig to anyone who loves this, but i've always felt RSD was kind of the st. patrick's day for vinyl collectors. never been my kinda bag.

that said, i did order ONE thing- a reissue of one of my all time favorite italian post-punk records put out by my pal at mannequin records:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    some recent additions to my collection that i have listened to

zos kia / coil - transparent
    cold spring 2017 2xLP remastered pressing
    i always forget how terrifying the music on this album is. probably shouldn't have listened to it while doing dishes, but rather while performing a ritual sacrifice. hah.

lotus thief - gramarye
    2xLP on clear w/black smoke & etched side D, limited to 150 copies
    just absolutely stunning. this is the music i want to make.

mouth of the architect - time & withering
    first vinyl pressing ever. two variants. this one is metallic silver & oxblood merge w/heavy black splatter limited to 200 copies.
    so glad they finally put out this masterpiece on vinyl because it sounds incredible.

isis - live vii
    2xLP in letterpress jacket
    now playing
    this is the only album in the live series i've gotten because my two favorite isis albums are "wavering radiant" & "in the absence of truth" and this finally features songs from both.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Fiona Apple Tidal is finally getting a release on vinyl, vinyl me please is releasing it from the original anologe tapes.

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tidal-info/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Fiona Apple Tidal is finally getting a release on vinyl, vinyl me please is releasing it from the original anologe tapes.

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tidal-info/
    i really don't want to have to sign up for their subscription service (that would be dangerous for me) but i really want to get that record. do you think it'll end up getting released separately?