G.H. - Ground EP
    Ken Thorne - Superman III
    Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise & Fall Of Niggy Tardust
    Grouper - Dream Loss, and Alien Observer
    Xiu Xiu - Play The Music Of Twin Peaks
    Clint Mansell Feat. Kronos Quartet - Requiem For A Dream

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got my Botch box set in the mail on saturday!

two albums, two EPs (one of them extended), one live album (9 records total), a DVD/CD of the live album, CDs of the other albums, and a 42-page book, all in a foil-stamped box.

my copy of Frances the Mute was also supposed to get delivered on saturday, but it didn't come. the tracking info currently just says it's "not updated" so i'm getting a bit worried. : /

also, just bought the special edition of the new radiohead album because apparently i hate having money.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it came! it finally came!

the mars volta - frances the mute
    3xLP with etched side F
    <3 <3 <3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finally got my hands on a copy of Niggy Tardust. Gatefold is to die for...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    made my day, and only $9.99 - always pays to support your local record store

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Spinning this now. So fucking good.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    Finally got my hands on a copy of Niggy Tardust. Gatefold is to die for...

Yeah a its pretty awesome, I paid 100 for mine. How much did you have to pay ?

it was one of the better albums that came out that year, it would have been the best if in rainbows didn't come out . I guess that's good for us : )
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-21-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Did okay and got my copy for $99 after shipping from another country, but the packaging is kinda weathered.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I bought mine on Broadway at a preview of Holla If Ya Hear Me. $35 at the merch table

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    PARACOSM

Washed Out

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    new acquisitions:

radiohead - burn the witch / spectre 7" single

carly rae jepsen - e•mo•tion
    such a solid pop album with so much heart. there's at least three songs that make my eyes well up every time i hear them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Recent Additions:

Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends (pictured above)
    Low Jack - Lighthouse Stories
    Nine Inch Nails - Closer/Further Away, and March Of The Pigs
    Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Ears
    Rezzett - Goodness EP
    Dick Hyman - The Age Of Electronicus
    Crystal Castles VS Health - Crimewave
    Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating
    Surachi - Shared System Series
    Last edited by hologram parade; 05-26-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    recent acquisitions / plays:

archie shepp - four for trane 2011 180g pressing
    my tattoo artist felt so guilty that i gave him five records as a tip the other day that he gave me two records haha. i'll post the other one when i get around to listening to it.

gary numan - replicas 2015 remastered pressing

john carpenter (and alan howarth) - escape from new york 2015 180g 2xLP silva screen version
    getting close to having all of carpenter's score work!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it came! it finally came!

the mars volta - frances the mute
    3xLP with etched side F
    <3 <3 <3
    you inspired me to get this record. I just ordered the OP, I hope it sounds ok

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    you inspired me to get this record. I just ordered the OP, I hope it sounds ok
    my copy sounded great, and it wasn't even quite as NM as the seller claimed.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    new addition, played yesterday

sumac - what one becomes 2xLP on clear vinyl

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    new addition, played yesterday

sumac - what one becomes 2xLP on clear vinyl
    Got mine yesterday as well. Really great album.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Got mine yesterday as well. Really great album.

Do you guys ever buy a record that you don't open?

I will be honest I have a few I bought that I can't bring myself to opening them. Still thinking about it.

I know its silly to not open them but I see how much they're worth and i will tell myself I will just listen to the digital copy. ....... I like the sound of vinyl, I just don't know. = /

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

I will be honest I have a few I bought that I can't bring myself to opening them. Still thinking about it.

I know its silly to not open them but I see how much they're worth and i will tell myself I will just listen to the digital copy. ....... I like the sound of vinyl, I just don't know. = /
    I am finding the temptation not to open and listen to my very very rare ($200+ on Discogs) wax very difficult...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I no longer open any of my records that I collect. If there's an album I really like I'll buy 2 copies, with the one I play usually being a "standard" copy.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

no, i buy records to listen to them. i clean each side each time before playing, keep them in closed cabinets as to minimize exposure to cat hair (though that doesn't help that much haha), and take very good care of them.

also, as @sheepdean and i have described several times in this thread, leaving a record sealed (in shrink wrap) is BAD for it. it can cause warping to the vinyl, ring wear to the sleeve, and if it wasn't wrapped properly in the first place, creasing and other damage.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I am finding the temptation not to open and listen to my very very rare ($200+ on Discogs) wax very difficult...
    but, like, why buy it, then? i have some EXPENSIVE records, either that went way up in value after i bought them for $20-$30, or i paid over $100 for them, and i still listen to them. i'm not into collecting things that aren't functional (even my uglydolls, which i don't collect any more but have a bunch of, are technically functional, because i can take them off the shelf and snuggle with them (my wife and i both sleep with stuffed animals, i don't care)).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I no longer open any of my records that I collect. If there's an album I really like I'll buy 2 copies, with the one I play usually being a "standard" copy.
    to what end, though? i mean, really, why collect records if you're not going to enjoy them? i'm not criticizing, i'm honestly asking.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    but, like, why buy it, then? i have some EXPENSIVE records, either that went way up in value after i bought them for $20-$30, or i paid over $100 for them, and i still listen to them. i'm not into collecting things that aren't functional (even my uglydolls, which i don't collect any more but have a bunch of, are technically functional, because i can take them off the shelf and snuggle with them (my wife and i both sleep with stuffed animals, i don't care)).

to what end, though? i mean, really, why collect records if you're not going to enjoy them? i'm not criticizing, i'm honestly asking.
    Well, I do enjoy looking at the things. If I want to play the music on it, in most cases, I have a better-than-vinyl digital copy of the same master from which the mastering engineer cut it. And it is nice to hold the thing and display it on the shelf with other cool stuff, like my collector's box sets, and I don't need to unwrap it to do that. In fact, one of the records I'm talking about (Run the Jewels' self-titled debut on 2xLP) is still sealed, but the box it came in has been opened and the other items inside very well-used... except for the customized RtJ leaf grinder, that I'm keeping pristine for my grandchildren.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    i don't buy vinyl to just have it. i play all the vinyl i own. I have a nice deck and nice needles. and everything is in a slip cover. my collection is pristine. I don't buy vinyl with the intention to sell it later at a higher cost. unless i buy multiple copies.

and honestly i never even sell those. i usually end up giving them away to a friend who wants it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There's been times I've struggled with not wanting to open a record, but at that point I usually just remind myself that if I am just owning it to own it, and the record is serving no purpose other than that, then I feel I am being far more materialistic than I am comfortable with. It's already bad enough feeling that way with all the physical music I do own.

Like, I wish that I would feel comfortable and feel freedom knowing that even if I lost all my CDs and records in a fire or something, I still literally have all that music backed up on my cloud, but I, like many others, am materialistic with my physical media. It would really bother me if I lost it, and that's a shitty feeling.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I open and play every record I buy.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I have several records in my collection that are worth like $500+, but I own records to listen to them. I have virtually zero interest in selling any of them for monetary game. In my opinion, if you're buying records just simply to resell them later, that's defeating the purpose of music almost entirely. I have people ALL THE TIME message me on Discogs asking if I would sell them my copy of the first MUTEMATH album, or (before it was re-released) my first pressing of Deja Entendu. I just don't care how much you want to spend to buy it, I own it because I want to listen to it.

Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I have 3 records I haven't opened out of 500 plus records. I think im going to bite the bullet and open them, I really hope they are not warped.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really don't understand the not opening thing. Obviously it's not really for me to understand, to each their own and all that - personally tho I think if you're buying records you're buying them for all that comes with them - the larger artwork, the inserts, the vinyl itself and, obviously, the music. Seems a bit odd to me to spend all that money and never get the benefit of everything that comes with it other than what you see on the outside of the packaging (particularly on gatefold records... some of mine have incredibly great looking gatefolds that, had I not opened them, I'd never have seen). Just my opinion and I respect others will view it differently. I still can't get my head round that survey recently where students in the UK were buying records despite not owning and having no intention of owning a record player.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk