8 Post(s)
    New to my collection:

Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
    My Bloody Valentine - MBV
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    The Rackatees/The Shidiots - 7" Split

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    spun my "back to black" 180g copy of TDS today to check it out. the vinyl was definitely heavy-weight and it seemed to have pressed well but there were some marks on it that definitely caused some unwanted noise. also, the artwork looks like a facsimile (i pulled out my original promo copy to compare and the images on the sleeves are switched, and all of the images are slightly fogged/lower resolution) which was weird.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    spun my "back to black" 180g copy of TDS today to check it out. the vinyl was definitely heavy-weight and it seemed to have pressed well but there were some marks on it that definitely caused some unwanted noise. also, the artwork looks like a facsimile (i pulled out my original promo copy to compare and the images on the sleeves are switched, and all of the images are slightly fogged/lower resolution) which was weird.
    That's because the band wasn't involved in that reissue, just the label putting it out. Whomever was in charge of getting the art together did a shoddy job, as it's definitely brighter and more washed out looking, and the text is a lighter purple. Never listened to my copy, just kept the original UK promo.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Recent purchases:

David Bowie - Stage (Yellow pressing from Holland)
    Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
    Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork Deluxe
    Drive Soundtrack (Mondo)
    Coil - Panic/Tainted Love 12"
    This Is Spinal Tap Soundtrack (Original gatefold pressing)
    Justice - Waters of Nazareth 12"
    Justice - D.A.N.C.E. 12"
    Kraftwerk - Neon Lights 12" Glow in the Dark version
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Whoa, that's just the past few weeks. I may have a problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Recent purchases:
    Justice - Waters of Nazareth 12"
    Justice - D.A.N.C.E. 12"
    Let's be friends.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Picked up some gems at amoeba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    which amoeba? every summer i visit family in the LA / valley area and i ALWAYS stop by amoeba in hollywood to spend $50 - $75 on vinyl. fucking love that place.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The BOC vinyl was 65 dollars but so worth it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does anybody subsrcibe to the Third Man Records Vault packages? I cannot wait for Vault #16.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFestivals View Post
    Does anybody subsrcibe to the Third Man Records Vault packages? I cannot wait for Vault #16.
    I've thought about it so many times but never pull the plug. The fact that it's not a yearly paid thing kinda keeps me from doing it. I don't want to have to pay again for every package. I'd like to just pay one yearly fee and get all 4 packages. But maybe I'm just frugal. Either way, the packages are always incredible. Would have loved to get the Sea Of Cowards live at Third Man and Jack White Solo live at Third Man discs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ILoveFestivals and richardp brought up a good topic.

Any other record clubs people recommend/subscribed to? Would love to be able to look forward to a random piece of wax every month/quarter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Skipped on pre-ordering Hesitation Marks thanks to the $30 postage to Australia -__-

Bought a copy of The Dead Weather's Horehound instead

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I used to... I think I stopped shortly after the 2nd singles collection. I walked out on a job and did the responsible thing by cancelling my Vault subscription. I just havent had a good reason to rejoin... when it started they made it sound like they would have special sales and other perks but they seemed to die out. I keep hoping they release a package that I cant live without but even then if you play your cards right you can ususally pick one up on ebay close to cost shortly after. I have been meaning to see if anything has changed lately... do they ever hop on the chat or hold random contests anymore? I was also wondering if there were any Vault perks for the Jack White tour.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    Skipped on pre-ordering Hesitation Marks thanks to the $30 postage to Australia -__-

Bought a copy of The Dead Weather's Horehound instead
    i've got horehound and it sounds FANTASTIC. the etching on side 4 is really gorgeous, too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I've thought about it so many times but never pull the plug. The fact that it's not a yearly paid thing kinda keeps me from doing it. I don't want to have to pay again for every package. I'd like to just pay one yearly fee and get all 4 packages. But maybe I'm just frugal. Either way, the packages are always incredible. Would have loved to get the Sea Of Cowards live at Third Man and Jack White Solo live at Third Man discs.
    It would be a lot less stressful, but they do it that way so new people can sign up each quarter. I know what you mean though. Every 3 months I have to make sure I have space in my account for the $65.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseprocedure View Post
    I used to... I think I stopped shortly after the 2nd singles collection. I walked out on a job and did the responsible thing by cancelling my Vault subscription. I just havent had a good reason to rejoin... when it started they made it sound like they would have special sales and other perks but they seemed to die out. I keep hoping they release a package that I cant live without but even then if you play your cards right you can ususally pick one up on ebay close to cost shortly after. I have been meaning to see if anything has changed lately... do they ever hop on the chat or hold random contests anymore? I was also wondering if there were any Vault perks for the Jack White tour.
    They do have special presales for Jack White tours, which is pretty awesome. Or at least they did last year when he was on tour.
    Jack White seems to hop on the chat room every few weeks.
    Recently they did a reissue 3 pack from Sun Records. There was a Johnny Cash's Get Rhythm b/w I Walk the Line, Rufus Thomas' Bear Cat b/w Walking In the Rain, and the Prisionaires' Baby Please b/w Just Walkin' In the Rain. All records are 7" and they pressed 150 copies of each on Sunburst Vinyl. 100 copies were sold on the Rolling Record Store (I have to find this one day!) and the other 50 of each title are being randomly placed in orders of the regular reissues.
    They have also just built a brand new site for the Vault, so it is no longer with modlife, but through their own website.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    They do have special presales for Jack White tours, which is pretty awesome. Or at least they did last year when he was on tour.
    Jack White seems to hop on the chat room every few weeks.
    Recently they did a reissue 3 pack from Sun Records. There was a Johnny Cash's Get Rhythm b/w I Walk the Line, Rufus Thomas' Bear Cat b/w Walking In the Rain, and the Prisionaires' Baby Please b/w Just Walkin' In the Rain. All records are 7" and they pressed 150 copies of each on Sunburst Vinyl. 100 copies were sold on the Rolling Record Store (I have to find this one day!) and the other 50 of each title are being randomly placed in orders of the regular reissues.
    They have also just built a brand new site for the Vault, so it is no longer with modlife, but through their own website.
    Cool! I am happy Jack still gets on the chat from time to time and really happy to hear they arent using modlife anymore! That site caused too many issues in the beginning. I actually have a Sunray on hold for me through a friend that got one via random web orders. When Dead Weather FINALLY came within a few hours of Omaha, they were with the Flaming Lips so the Vault wasnt offering pre sale or early entry... I found the main roadie and asked if Jack happened to still be there (Lori was wearing the Vault #1 shirt that was supposed to get us special treatment according to the write up) and he was actually kind of a major douche about it. Between that and over selling 300 Peach records only to press more then never say how many were pressed kinda got to me. Then they just stopped releasing music I cared about and I found myself just chasing the profit of a release, thats when I decided to move on and collect records I would actually listen to. I have been getting a lot more enjoyment out of my collection since then, lol. I should have never sold my Sagan or Icky Mono... but I wouldnt have my live bass rig if I hadnt so its a double edged sword, lol.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So it looks like we're moving back to northern california. I sold all of my DJ equipment which is how I used to transport my turntables. In a coffin. Now that I dont have that, I'm not entirely sure the best way to pack and move my technics 1200. Hmmmm.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    So it looks like we're moving back to northern california. I sold all of my DJ equipment which is how I used to transport my turntables. In a coffin. Now that I dont have that, I'm not entirely sure the best way to pack and move my technics 1200. Hmmmm.
    when i moved last year (mind you, just a few miles) i made my mom sit with my turntable on her lap in the front seat of my car. hahaha.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    for a second, my brain honestly thought "why is there a human hand holding that and not a french bulldog paw?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Who on here loves Record Store Day? It is probably my favourite holiday followed by Record Store Day Black Friday and Halloween.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Latest additions:

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty (Remaster/Reissue)
    Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends
    Dr. Dooom - First Come, First Served
    QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I really don't get RSD personally. High price one-offs or reissues are pretty much the opposite of why I love vinyl.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I really don't get RSD personally. High price one-offs or reissues are pretty much the opposite of why I love vinyl.
    It's all about creating hype. To get people to come out and put money into the industry and get some of those people to become "vinyl heads." We all love vinyl for it's crisp soundboard quality (and there is just something sexy about dropping the needle), but it is also pretty cool to have some of the RSD exclusive releases. This year there was Black Lips/Icky Blossoms 7" for $12 limited to 500 copies, Austra had an EP limited to 350 copies, Frightened Rabbit did a collaboration with Grouplove & Manchester Orchestra. For me that's why I love Record Store Day, but to each's own. Some are overpriced, but mostly they are reasonable. It also comes down to knowing which record stores are not gauging you.
    In Toronto I always go to Rotate This because they are just awesome and have been part of the Toronto music scene for several decades now. They sell concert tickets at face value with a minimal service fee, they will order any vinyl you want, put vinyls aside for you if they know you. Just a great record shop. I had to say that piece on Rotate This because they are close to my heart.
    Back to the point. Their prices are really good too. For RSD I got the Gary Clark Jr live EP for $16 from them when other record stores, like Sonic Boom were charging $20. When you find the good record stores with reasonable prices RSD becomes much more enjoyable.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Picked up quite a few records yesterday!
    QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork - Which is honestly becoming one of my absolute favorite records of this year.
    HTDA - Welcome Oblivion - Again, this is just soooo much better than I thought it'd be! Probably my favorite TR involved project since With Teeth!!!
    Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin - Stoked as fuck to finally have this! It's an amazing album!!
    Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison - Found this in the dollar/clearance shelf at Half-Priced Books!
    Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly - Another clearance/dollar shelf score

Fuck yeah, I'm beginning to really love the vinyl section at HPB! Dollar scores, and it's usually WAY better than Goodwill!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It's all about creating hype. To get people to come out and put money into the industry and get some of those people to become "vinyl heads." We all love vinyl for it's crisp soundboard quality (and there is just something sexy about dropping the needle), but it is also pretty cool to have some of the RSD exclusive releases. This year there was Black Lips/Icky Blossoms 7" for $12 limited to 500 copies, Austra had an EP limited to 350 copies, Frightened Rabbit did a collaboration with Grouplove & Manchester Orchestra. For me that's why I love Record Store Day, but to each's own. Some are overpriced, but mostly they are reasonable. It also comes down to knowing which record stores are not gauging you.
    In Toronto I always go to Rotate This because they are just awesome and have been part of the Toronto music scene for several decades now. They sell concert tickets at face value with a minimal service fee, they will order any vinyl you want, put vinyls aside for you if they know you. Just a great record shop. I had to say that piece on Rotate This because they are close to my heart.
    Back to the point. Their prices are really good too. For RSD I got the Gary Clark Jr live EP for $16 from them when other record stores, like Sonic Boom were charging $20. When you find the good record stores with reasonable prices RSD becomes much more enjoyable.
    all of your points are good, and if RSD really was about that, it'd be great. but most of us true collectors end up getting screwed by assholes who buy multiple copies of things and then put them on ebay and amazon at severely inflated prices.

the first couple years, i LOVED record store day. but i didn't even bother going this year because the idea of waiting in line for hours only to get to the counter to find that (for the third year in a row) everything i wanted was gone, and then having to go home and pay way more money than i should have to in order to get them from someone on the internet was enough to make me actually boycott RSD.

i love going to record stores and i love special editions of things, but i hate what record store day has become.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

and with the addition of this 2x7'', my cocteau twins vinyl collection grows to near-completion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the first couple years, i LOVED record store day. but i didn't even bother going this year because the idea of waiting in line for hours only to get to the counter to find that (for the third year in a row) everything i wanted was gone, and then having to go home and pay way more money than i should have to in order to get them from someone on the internet was enough to make me actually boycott RSD.
    I hope you boycott paying way more money than you should from someone on the internet, too… that feeds into the whole cycle.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I hope you boycott paying way more money than you should from someone on the internet, too… that feeds into the whole cycle.
    this year, i did. i just said fuck it and went into my local store a couple weeks later to buy a few non-RSD items.

last year, though, i really, REALLY wanted the tomahawk box set (i had gone to one midnight RSD sale and then one the next morning and missed out on it) and so i ended up paying $80 on ebay for it. the guy actually called me a sucker after i had paid, so i reported him to ebay. had i known that copies of it were going to show up on amazon for the same price i could have paid in-store ($40-$45), i would have waited.