Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Darren Aronofsky's Noah

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Darren Aronofsky's Noah

Surprised not to see a thread on this, as it is such an oppressively wierd, highly discussable, hot button, successful movie....

So here it is!

I just saw it, and I had a lot to think about, I'm going to sort regurgitate what I wrote elsewhere about it:

"Noah" is an insane movie by insane people, made for insane people. "Insane," when it comes from me is normally some kind of variable compliment, and expression of excitement and/or simultaneous disbelief. Here, when I say "Noah" was "insane" I mean it in the most literal, non-clinical sense.

It is clear that, while "Noah" is a film of intentions, ideas, and philosophies, it is also built by some very strong competing interests. In one corner you have Darren Aronofsky, a sometimes clever, often good filmmaker and, most notably, an atheist. In the other corners you have the marketing folks and the religious interest groups. "Noah" is a rope and this is a game of tug-of-war. At the very least, it makes for great meta-film.

Often while you watch "Noah" you will find yourself asking "Why?" These are different than the "whys" of say... "Naked Lunch." Instead of "Why did they do that?" You have "Why would they ever do that for this story?" or " Why the fuck are there rock monsters?" Often, context can answer these questions, but here, context only serves to further confuse them.

That said "Noah" is actually a pretty thought provoking piece of work. Aronofsky probably won that game of tug of war, for the most part. Certainly, I've been left to think about that movie for hours after it ended, which can't be said for much of its competition at the theater.* It wasn't thought provoking at the exact angle that I expected or wanted. But it was so in a very surprising way that I can still appreciate.

That all said about competing interests and such, "Noah's" true achilles heal was actually it's action sequences. Let's be clear, no telling of this story ever asked for an action sequence, but here they are threaten to undermine the whole thing by being placed during moments where a different approach would have been really powerful. Specifically, the movie asks it's audience to question the nature of a god who would indiscriminately drown such a large population of people. And in that very sequence we are supposed to question the sanity and righteousness of Noah and his people. "Is this too far?" "Isn't this wrong?" - Cut to: rock monsters smashing people by the dozens, Lord of the Rings style.
    "Noah" Manages to infuse even that scene with something of interest, but such excitement and indulgence is quite obviously contrary to the films over all mission. This happens a handful of times and it is such a shame.

In the end "Noah" is fascinating in a meta-film sense at its very worst, so it is worth a look. And there are some sequences that are delivered perfectly that will pull you from the confusion of it's deepest intentions.

Angel rock monsters though... I don't know. It's wierder than it sounds. Did anyone else see it?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I'm EXTREMELY curious about this movie.

Frankly, Aronofsky's attachment to the project is literally THE ONLY THING that could make me bother with spending the money to go see it. I like Crowe and Connelly as much as the next guy but HOLY FUCK. Tough sell.

That said, Pi.

Requiem for a Dream

The Fountain

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Jesus-fucking-Christ, I'll follow this guy wherever the fuck he wants to take me. I don't give a fuck if Reznor wants to charge 100 bucks to hear him recite a take-out menu over a Casio loop...he's earned it and I AM THERE.

Same goes for Mansell's score! Assuming he's involved. He always has been and I don't care to check right now. Again, they've earned that trust.

I almost went last night but hated the people who invited me. Kinda like when I was invited to go see The Passion of the Christ at a theater way back when by a bunch of co-workers before realizing they'd invited me to attend with their bible-study group from the Moody Bible Institute. Or another time when I'd been invited to a concert only to discover it was The Newsboys or Carmen or some such Christian bullshit, etc. Not the right time, not the right place, DEFINITELY not the right group...NOT INTERESTED.

I do think it's pretty funny to see the larger cinemas expecting the uptick in Christian moviegoing, though. Noah is currently running alongside two retarded-as-fuck Christian movies that would otherwise be 100% straight-to-video if it weren't for Noah, lol.

God's Not Dead
    and Son of God FOR THE FAIL, ffs.

Anyway, I appreciate the flipside, too. Personally, I absolutely ADORE that jesus-freak retards have to sit through a strong dose of whatever-the-fuck Aronofsky throws at them also. Still approaching this cautiously, though.

I guess we'll just see.

And I don't wanna go all grammar-nazi here but...

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Its-and-It's

:P

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I saw a behind-the-scenes glimpse the other day with Darren and the crew explaining a bit about the story and building the ark and shit and holy fuck does it ever look cool. I was at first only on board because of Aronofsky but DAMN the clips and shit I've seen so far are really cool. AFAIK it's not playing anywhere near me though

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I'm EXTREMELY curious about this movie.

Frankly, Aronofsky's attachment to the project is literally THE ONLY THING that could make me bother with spending the money to go see it. I like Crowe and Connelly as much as the next guy but HOLY FUCK. Tough sell.

That said, Pi.

Requiem for a Dream

The Fountain

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Jesus-fucking-Christ, I'll follow this guy wherever the fuck he wants to take me. I don't give a fuck if Reznor wants to charge 100 bucks to hear him recite a take-out menu over a Casio loop...he's earned it and I AM THERE.

Same goes for Mansell's score! Assuming he's involved. He always has been and I don't care to check right now. Again, they've earned that trust.

I almost went last night but hated the people who invited me. Kinda like when I was invited to go see The Passion of the Christ at a theater way back when by a bunch of co-workers before realizing they'd invited me to attend with their bible-study group from the Moody Bible Institute. Or another time when I'd been invited to a concert only to discover it was The Newsboys or Carmen or some such Christian bullshit, etc. Not the right time, not the right place, DEFINITELY not the right group...NOT INTERESTED.

I do think it's pretty funny to see the larger cinemas expecting the uptick in Christian moviegoing, though. Noah is currently running alongside two retarded-as-fuck Christian movies that would otherwise be 100% straight-to-video if it weren't for Noah, lol.

God's Not Dead
    and Son of God FOR THE FAIL, ffs.

Anyway, I appreciate the flipside, too. Personally, I absolutely ADORE that jesus-freak retards have to sit through a strong dose of whatever-the-fuck Aronofsky throws at them also. Still approaching this cautiously, though.

I guess we'll just see.

And I don't wanna go all grammar-nazi here but...

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Its-and-It's

:P
    You can set asode any cautions about its religious undertones, this movie is very critical of its own story in characters. Crowes Noah is more like Jack Torrance than a Hollywood messiah. One sequences clearly alludes to the notion of creationism as a lie. This is a very different bible movie.

Its also just outlandish and wierd.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Well based on your words I am now intrigued about this film! I love Aronofsky but I was extremey baffled by his connection to a Noah film. And when the trailers first hit this didn't seem anything more than your standard Gritty-Reimagining-of-a-Famous-Story which is all the rage in Hollywood right now. Admittedly, I did absolutely zero research on the film, but I simply could not see Aronofsky's take on this. Apparently, it's there! So, maybe I will see it in the cinemas after all. Even if there are other problems with it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw this film yesterday and I liked it. Here's my review

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    One question: is it worth seeing in 3D?
    I wanna go but I have both options available. And since I'm a four-eyes, putting 3D glasses on top of my own is not very comfortable.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm glad this thread title had Aronofsky's name in it, otherwise I wouldn't had known that he directed it! I had already written off the film (ie. was not going to see it) but this thread title alone had changed my mind. I will go sometime next week.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Thats exactly why I did that, because i didnt know either, at first.