Page 93 of 191 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rust in Peace is my favourite album of theirs. Every time I've seen them they've been great, haven't seen them at a proper headlining performance for years though

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    For me their best is "Pace Sells..." but "Rust is peace" is another great, i agree that they can be awesome or below average live depending of the day, i've seen them 3 times live and 2 of them sucked...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-31-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Rust in Peace is a killer. That album rules. The lyrics, riffs and excellent production make it a great album even 24 years later.

Unfortunately, Mustaine is a massive idiot. Even moreso now by his recent event of being a reborn Christian.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Rust in Peace is a killer. That album rules. The lyrics, riffs and excellent production make it a great album even 24 years later.

Unfortunately, Mustaine is a massive idiot. Even moreso now by his recent event of being a reborn Christian.
    I read his autobiography and it was unintentionally hilarious, with him constantly accusing Metallica of various things, like Hetfield not participating in fights - it was like a school playground

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I read his autobiography and it was unintentionally hilarious, with him constantly accusing Metallica of various things, like Hetfield not participating in fights - it was like a school playground
    I can only imagine a follow up considering both the guitarist and drummer of Megadeth just called it quits.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    To be fair, I don't think I heard that one. I just wish he would go back to to the more simple style that made him.
    Agreed. Crazy to Love You off of Old Ideas was great. If we could have a whole album like that it would be swell. His new, ( Ten New Songs and onward) jazzy arrangements are so tame and cheesy on record. They sound too polished and fake. At least they work live, I guess. Live in London is fantastic.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maynard's voice is the best part of Tool.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Maynard's voice is the best part of Tool.
    Blasphemy!!!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Going back to Megadeth for a minute, Moto Psycho is one of my favorite songs from them. I don't care how universally hated it was.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    Going back to Megadeth for a minute, Moto Psycho is one of my favorite songs from them. I don't care how universally hated it was.
    "The World Needs a Hero" isn't a band album, it's not "Rust in peace", but i like it better than "Risk" for the most part and "Moto Psycho" was a good song, i would take any "bad" Megadeth album over any "bad" Metallica album, anyday...

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    The Breeders are one of the most vital grunge/experimental rock bands of all time, and they do it better than nirvana (except for in utero)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The Breeders are one of the most vital grunge/experimental rock bands of all time, and they do it better than nirvana (except for in utero)
    I got felt up by Kelley Deal in Tijuana. It was very controversial.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not sure where this belongs as there doesn't seem to be a 'state of the music industry' thread.
    Recently Billboard have been adding streaming etc to their count of album sales when calculating the charts. However a while back I read something suggesting record companies were 'buying' views on YouTube etc to make their stuff seem more popular. Is this true or just bollocks? As if this is true this worries me that music will become ever more homogenised where the record company supported stuff will just seem so much further away and over-hyped and nothing else will get a look in

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I have read that the top music videos don't actually have that many views. Lots are generated by bots. I think it was artists like Beiber and Avril Levine. Interesting that it could be the record companies and not superfans trying to boost the numbers.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I have read that the top music videos don't actually have that many views. Lots are generated by bots. I think it was artists like Beiber and Avril Levine. Interesting that it could be the record companies and not superfans trying to boost the numbers.
    No, I highly doubt you've seen super fans that are crazed with making their artist #1 at all costs. I'm sure lots of idiots retweet, spam view and whore out shit left and right. Especially in the adolescent crowd. I know for a fact that the Justin Bieber milestone of 1 million followers on twitter was bogus due to fake or vacant accounts. As if having that many followers on twitter really amounts to anything but "whoa man you're cool on the internet."

if it even does that.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'd rather get a new A Perfect Circle album than a Tool album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Not sure where this belongs as there doesn't seem to be a 'state of the music industry' thread.
    Recently Billboard have been adding streaming etc to their count of album sales when calculating the charts. However a while back I read something suggesting record companies were 'buying' views on YouTube etc to make their stuff seem more popular. Is this true or just bollocks? As if this is true this worries me that music will become ever more homogenised where the record company supported stuff will just seem so much further away and over-hyped and nothing else will get a look in
    Fake "hype" in the music industry has always existed, in a way this "views business" is the payola of the 21st century.
    But much like it happened in the past it will keep going the manufactured "artists" to keep the industry alive but the true musicians will always outshine their trends (at least in the critical sense), this "new hype" it's just the music industry trying to prove us is not dead yet (but they are...).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think thats too controversial.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    I don't think thats too controversial.
    I didn't know where to post this honestly and I lumped it in with controversial as it's stupid as fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually like Tool and am really looking forward to a new album from them

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I didn't know where to post this honestly and I lumped it in with controversial as it's stupid as fuck.
    Dare I ask, who you're calling a moron here? Todays kids being ignorant about The Beatles or news outlets and social medians w/ their faux outrage about this nontroversy?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Dare I ask, who you're calling a moron here? Todays kids being ignorant about The Beatles or news outlets and social medians w/ their faux outrage about this nontroversy?
    Ignorance as almost everyone knows him or of him in some form if you're a fan of music.

Or is it ignorant to think that highly of normal people to know a Beatles Member?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Well, I think being offended by some young folks not knowing about some old farts is patronising and stupid. They're probably not 'fans of music' as we are, but fans of Kanye and the likes.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I looked at some of the twitter accounts mentioned in the article and they were taking pleasure in winding people up - I honestly think some of them were trolling the 'old folks'. I think this board has proved several times how people jump to the Beatles defence all the time, like they really need it

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I looked at some of the twitter accounts mentioned in the article and they were taking pleasure in winding people up - I honestly think some of them were trolling the 'old folks'. I think this board has proved several times how people jump to the Beatles defence all the time, like they really need it
    When it's too good to be true, chances are that it is. I think most of those were having a laugh as well. But I don't think our reactions have anything to do with The Beatles, it's just about general knowledge and culture... Any old renown and culturally significant icon would have triggered the same response.
    I tend to be guilty of that "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW [specific idol/oeuvre] ???" knee-jerk reaction, and being with a woman who hasn't had the leisure to learn about a thousand useless cultural curiosities and tidbits, I came to realize how actually patronizing it is. It does feel less like pointing out a hole in that person's culture, and more about flaunting your own encyclopedic knowledge...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    When it's too good to be true, chances are that it is. I think most of those were having a laugh as well. But I don't think our reactions have anything to do with The Beatles, it's just about general knowledge and culture... Any old renown and culturally significant icon would have triggered the same response.
    I tend to be guilty of that "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW [specific idol/oeuvre] ???" knee-jerk reaction, and being with a woman who hasn't had the leisure to learn about a thousand useless cultural curiosities and tidbits, I came to realize how actually patronizing it is. It does feel less like pointing out a hole in that person's culture, and more about flaunting your own encyclopedic knowledge...
    Yeah, my dad didn't know who Freddie Mercury was when he died which my sister and I found ridiculous at the time, but he's just not interested in popular culture. Before he retired he was a chemical engineer so he's not stupid. He had a massive classical and jazz record collection, that's all I heard musically till I was 8 or so. (ironically, the one pop album he had was a best of the Beatles collection)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-06-2015 at 03:47 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bush's Man on the Run ​is pretty good (I think that I'm the only poster here who has ever mentioned it). I thought the critics were overly harsh with their reviews.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Twitter comments are also mostly from black people, and the Beatles ain't exactly beloved (or KNOWN) in hiphop culture. For them, it's a "WTF?" especially after that inexcusable "Ebony and Ivory" with Michael Jackson. You're right; the comments seem to deliberately (sarcastically) say that McCartney is a nobody and Kanye is saving his career (or creating one in hiphop). Which is probably true, LOL. Although, Kanye kinda sucks lately ...
    Last edited by allegro; 01-06-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I get it, but it's kinda sad that The Beatles, of all people, are being held up as an example of white cultural dominance: I read a piece which said "how dare you presume that the black kids of today should all know about a bunch of old white guys from the 60s." Does this mean white kids shouldn't bother themselves with Jimi Hendrix or Ella Fitzgerald? I don't think so.

This segues into the conversation about *cultural appropriation,* which try as I might, I can't quite get my head round. How is it that musical styles *belong* to certain races or peoples? I don't understand why Iggy Azalea shouldn't rap: because she's white and Australian? Isn't one of the best things about music that it transcends racial and cultural barriers? I get that people are angry that white artists take black styles and sell them to racist white audiences: but how does this take away from or diminish black culture?

How does Iggy detract from hip-hop's socio-political history any more than MC Hammer or any non-political party rap did? If you're plagiarizing without credit (a la Led Zeppelin), that's one thing, and is wrong. But being the wrong race to play a certain type of music? I can't get behind that.

All music is appropriated and hybridized from diverse elements, all music is assembled from elsewhere. Hip-hop is a genre explicitly based on sampling, and appropriating other music. This idea that you’re the wrong race to play any type of music seems wrongheaded, at least where I’m coming from. Feel free to fill me in on what I'm missing in this debate, because I do feel I'm missing something that maybe my own white privilege is hiding from me.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 01-06-2015 at 09:15 AM.