Page 14 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Didn't they sing that "key to the Gremacy park" song?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Pearl Jam far exceeds any of their "Grunge" contemporaries based solely on the existence of Vitalogy. I'll agree the majority of their other albums aren't that great, but Vitalogy, IMO, is better than any of the output by any of the other "Seattle" bands of that time and sound.
    Better than Jar of Flies or Dirt? I think not!

I should qualify my PB&J hatred. Like Jinsai, when I was young I thought Ten was amazing. I listened to it a couple years ago thinking I'd have fun taking a stroll down memory lane, and just about puked. What allegro calls "lush production" is basically a megashitton of reverb, fleshed out with ridiculously long and wanky guitar solos.

Another 90s band I can't stand: Smashing Pumpkins (any era). It's Billy's voice.. and his attitude.. and his "him-ness." Billy's really fuckin annoying.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Better than Jar of Flies or Dirt? I think not!

I should qualify my PB&J hatred. Like Jinsai, when I was young I thought Ten was amazing. I listened to it a couple years ago thinking I'd have fun taking a stroll down memory lane, and just about puked. What allegro calls "lush production" is basically a megashitton of reverb, fleshed out with ridiculously long and wanky guitar solos.
    1. PJ was NEVER grunge, ever. But, PUKED? Come on.
    2. well, true, but you can say that about Led Zeppelin, or any other 70s band, or even the Doors. Which is why PJ wasn't grunge.

I lost pretty much all respect for PJ after they put those 400 live shows up for sale because (a) they were (ALLEGEDLY) sick of the bootlegs and (b) they saw some serious $$$ involved in putting out all those live boots, because PJ was the Grateful Dead of 70s rock, no show was the same, so they wanted to squash all the trading among fans and CHARGE A LOT OF MONEY FOR A BUNCH OF SHOWS and, knowing their fans are so fucking crazy, the fans bought the shit up. I don't like any artist that knows their fans are that stupid and uses it to their advantage, plus the taping tree/leaf system was working just fine, and fuck the Italian bootleggers, you can't control your entire EMPIRE. Greed greed greed greed fuck you.

Back on topic: I totally don't get Dave Matthews. I don't hate him, but I am not motivated to own one single Dave Matthews recording, not even to steal it.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    1. I never used the term "grunge" but I would consider PJ & AIC contemporaries, wouldn't you? Were I forced to adopt that as a genre, I would consider Pearl Jam grunge, and NOT Alice in Chains; but it's just a label.
    2. Haha! True, but the difference is the Doors & Zeppelin were actually good.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    1. I never used the term "grunge" but I would consider PJ & AIC contemporaries, wouldn't you?
    No, not really. They were all from Seattle, but that's the only link. During that same time frame, we also had the Flaming Lips, Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, NIN's "Broken" and a whole shitload of different genres.

Grunge killed bad 80s hair metal, that's all anybody really needs to remember. :-)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Back on topic: I totally don't get Dave Matthews. I don't hate him, but I am not motivated to own one single Dave Matthews recording, not even to steal it.
    Same thing for Jack Johnson.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Same thing for Jack Johnson.
    Oh man I hate Jack Johnson so much. It's like someone cloned a musical equivalent of Matthew McConaughey's acting

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Grunge killed bad 80s hair metal, that's all anybody really needs to remember. :-)
    Hey, not ALL of that was bad, just 99% of it! haha

How about this for a controversial opinion, Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue fucking rocks. It's their only good album (even by their own admission, Dirt (the book) was a fun read).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I agree, "The Dirt" was hilarious, loved it. Love Nikki Sixx. Hate Vince. Do I own own one Crüe record? No. And remember that genre included Cinderella, Ratt, White Snake, Poison, Quiet Riot, ad nauseum.

Who's Jack Johnson?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Steel Panther: not funny, just garbage. "Ironic" 80s hair metal=still 80s hair metal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I totally don't get Dave Matthews. I don't hate him, but I am not motivated to own one single Dave Matthews recording, not even to steal it.
    i've felt the same way about dave matthews, that being said, i though the cover of "alone and forsaken" that he did w/ neil young as part of "hope for haiti now" benefit was pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No, not really. They were all from Seattle, but that's the only link.
    Er it was rhetorical I think? If they're from the same time & place, and they have the same job, they're contemporaries..?

I agree that "grunge" is usually misused as a generic term, but like the man says, they were contemporaries, no man is an island etc. "Grunge" is a vague, temporal term I guess? Less a sound, more a time period & general approach (shorter songs, confessional lyrics about personal/social issues, eschewing rockist excess).
    it's wrong to say they're the same sub genre, but they definitely are both products of their time & share aspects that nail them to the 90s.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have no problem with pearl jam selling their shows. its smart business. they obviously aren't making billions off of their albums anymore. if theres a market for it, go for it. its called being in business.

It's their music. its their right to do whatever the hell they want with it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I can't say I hate the guy either. But at the same time, I'll never go out of my way to hear his music, ever. He did have one catchy song though.

And I absolutely despise Ozzy. I tried to get into him. Everyone thinks I'm crazy. But I think he's garbage. I like a few Sabbath songs, but that's about it. His solo stuff is vomit inducing. I won't even touch upon Dio.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    jolly green giants, shitty beatles.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    jolly green giants, shitty beatles.
    Shitty Beatles are they any good?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Shitty Beatles are they any good?
    Nah. They suck.

And if you go to the Oxford English Dictionary and look up "music that's aged badly", you'll see a huge picture of the Sex Pistols. True story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I didn't even know it was possible not to like Bob Marley.
    Can't stand him; and I reckon a large amount of people who name him as genius just do so cos they think they have to, to be "cool".

This thread is for our controversial opinions right?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Steel Panther: not funny, just garbage. "Ironic" 80s hair metal=still 80s hair metal.
    I don't find this controversial in any sense of the word lol. I dare anyone with good taste in music to find something redeeming with these bozos.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Agreed. 80s Hair Metal is terrible. The other stuff in the 80s was pretty bad ass IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    Can't stand him; and I reckon a large amount of people who name him as genius just do so cos they think they have to, to be "cool".

This thread is for our controversial opinions right?
    I recon a large amount of people name him as a genius because they're easily impressed. I don't hate him, but I find his music passé and naive. Maybe it was different when it was fresh, but all I see when I hear his music is dudes with huge 70's collared shirts doing the Carlton while people in leisure suits sip fruity drinks out of pineapples. That's probably due to the fact that Americans have completely bastardized his image, but the damage has been done. Especially on the west coast. Marley is just something to listen to when you're high here. Kind of like how Che Guevara is just a dude on a tee shirt that you buy when you're mad at the world because you just took your first 100 level elective at the University of Oregon.

Long story short: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing is gonna be alright..."

FUCK YOU, BOB! I'll worry if I fucking want to.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I don't find this controversial in any sense of the word lol. I dare anyone with good taste in music to find something redeeming with these bozos.
    The problem is that in the metal scene the 80s are cool again and bands are falling over one another to sound like 80s metal in some way, whether it be thrash, glam, or nwobhm. The 80s revival is the mainstream in metal today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joni Mitchell is the greatest female singer-songwriter of all time, and Blue is NOT her best album (though it's good).

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I grew up in the 80s, and I'm going to say that I don't like Michael Jackson. Billy Jean and Smooth Criminal are incredible songs, maybe some of the best basslines ever written in pop music, but.... Fuck the posthumous canonization.

Also, while I'm here, I'm watching Donovan's acceptance "poem" at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony again, and nothing I've heard from him forgives how shitty and pretentious this is.

Actually, fuck it, Season of the Witch is a shitty song, and so is Mellow Yellow. Fuck you Donovan. Thanks for inspiring John Mellencamp asshole.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-29-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jacko was always held in pretty high regard wasn't he? It is funny how the "I don't reckon he was a paedo" camp exploded in size after his death

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I grew up in the 80s, and I'm going to say that I don't like Michael Jackson. Billy Jean and Smooth Criminal are incredible songs, maybe some of the best basslines ever written in pop music, but.... Fuck the posthumous canonization.
    Yes. This. I never heard as much about Michael Jackson as after he melted into Wacko Jacko permanently. And I hate those teary songs he made, like 'Heal the World' or 'Earth Song'. He's a tragic figure, and sure some of his music is really great, but you'd think he was Mozart the way people went on and on and ON about him after he died.

However, the entire oeuvre of Donovan is completely justified by the existence of Hurdy Gurdy Man. Seriously. That song creeps me out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I do like Off The Wall through to Bad but I would say while Jacko is a great performer with a truly strange persona (the sensitive, effeminate hetero street urchin rather than the weird alien paedo of later years), I always felt QJ was the mastermind

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think his funky songs totally redeem the schmaltzy ones. And the schmaltzy ones aren't that bad, some I even enjoy. And they're much less schmaltzy than Prince's schmaltzy songs, ugh.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^ Agreed completely. Of course his earlier material was the shit, but later on he had his gems. Anyone that doesn't dig Wanna Be Startin' Something doesn't understand music.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    I have no problem with pearl jam selling their shows. its smart business. they obviously aren't making billions off of their albums anymore. if theres a market for it, go for it. its called being in business.

It's their music. its their right to do whatever the hell they want with it.
    I agree. They are not forcing people to buy stuff. It is not Pearl Jam's fault that some people have this weird hoarding instinct to buy every single thing that a band has even brushed past... in triplicate.