Page 189 of 191 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 187 188 189 190 191 LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,670 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure the best thread to post this:

I don't understand what is so great about Frank Ocean. Pitchfork naked his 2016 album Blond the best album of the '10s. I listened to the album today and just wasn't impressed. I didn't dislike the album and thought some of the songs had some interesting ideas, melodies, etc., but I just didn't "get" what is so amazing about the album. I found it rather bland and repetitive. I'm 41 and think that it's partly a generational thing, but I do not understand the appeal.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    He's good, and he's got some jams (most of my favorite stuff with him is NOT on Blond), but that doesn't mean he isn't overhyped. Super fans & the press went bananas over that record to a major degree. I think his mystique & lack of a strong public presence/lack of touring is behind alot of that. Must be nice to be a major modern artist that doesn't have to do shows to stay alive, unlike 80% of the rest of the industry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Not sure the best thread to post this:

I don't understand what is so great about Frank Ocean. Pitchfork naked his 2016 album Blond the best album of the '10s. I listened to the album today and just wasn't impressed. I didn't dislike the album and thought some of the songs had some interesting ideas, melodies, etc., but I just didn't "get" what is so amazing about the album. I found it rather bland and repetitive. I'm 41 and think that it's partly a generational thing, but I do not understand the appeal.
    Best album of 10's is a bit much but it was my favorite thing in 2016. It's one of the most emotional albums I ever heard and I find the production and songwriting pretty amazing as well,emotional connection aside. You might be right that he's totally an artist for a specific age group though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Best album of 10's is a bit much but it was my favorite thing in 2016. It's one of the most emotional albums I ever heard and I find the production and songwriting pretty amazing as well,emotional connection aside. You might be right that he's totally an artist for a specific age group though.
    Production-wise it sounds great. Just didn't do anything for me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    New Drake album has a writing credit for R Kelly, is this a competition for most obnoxious feature?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    New Drake album has a writing credit for R Kelly, is this a competition for most obnoxious feature?
    it's a sample.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    it's a sample.
    fair enough, way less worse than Kanye then

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t get the hoopla about Adele, I don’t dislike any of her songs but getting album of the year for every album is a bit much? She’s like the Drake of female singer songwriters except critically overrated as well as commercially

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This is extremely controversial but...i don't like ABBA or the Beatles. Nothing against them as artists and what they did for music, their music just does nothing for me, but anytime i even hint that i'm not into their music i'm shouted down for hating music in general and not being a "real" music fan. This has gotten way WAY worse in recent years, especially online.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t get the hoopla about Adele, I don’t dislike any of her songs but getting album of the year for every album is a bit much? She’s like the Drake of female singer songwriters except critically overrated as well as commercially
    Beyonce and Adele are a perfect example of great singing voices who make generic, boring and downright mediocre albums. I don't get the heaps of praise. They're snore listens.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    This is extremely controversial but...i don't like ABBA or the Beatles. Nothing against them as artists and what they did for music, their music just does nothing for me, but anytime i even hint that i'm not into their music i'm shouted down for hating music in general and not being a "real" music fan. This has gotten way WAY worse in recent years, especially online.
    It’s going to be even worse now they’re coming back! I agree on both for what it’s worth. Although I have a soft spot for Dancing Queen

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    Same. Add to that Rush. Can't stand the guy's voice.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    When I was a little kid I thought the lead singer of Rush was a woman, lmao

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Me too. I thought it was the woman on the cover of Permanent Waves.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    me too and her voice sucked!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    seems like they left one album off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What a shame.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    still cunts (c)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    *cough* Lateralus? *cough*

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    They upgraded Specktor, lol

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    *cough* Lateralus? *cough*
    come on now. we all know.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Daft Punk a perfect 10? Never understood those two French DJs or the appeal.

I thought for a long time the singer from Siversun (of is it silversum?) Pickups was a chick.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Daft Punk a perfect 10? Never understood those two French DJs or the appeal.

I thought for a long time the singer from Siversun (of is it silversum?) Pickups was a chick.

Daft Punk are one of the most overrated and boring electronic artists of all time.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Daft Punk are one of the most overrated and boring electronic artists of all time.
    For a little while, I thought it was perhaps just Daft Punk that I disliked for their music... but it turns out I dislike most of that particular French style of techno (and going back farther, disco...). I seem to enjoy Italian disco -> techno a lot more.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    More than one... they also gave that shitty Dismemberment Plan album a perfect 10, and even though I really like Source Tags and Codes that album is nowhere near perfect greatness. The Xiu Xiu album Fabulous Muscles is also not a 9.7 or whatever.

And yeah, the asshole review for The Fragile was terrible and ridiculous; on par with the Rolling Stone review for Drukqs. Just ignorant snark.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I thought the same about Wayne Newton when I was a little kid and didn't know who he was.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Honestly some of the FreeBritney crowd are farcical. Britney has been controlled by X too long but we all apparently know what’s best for her, who she should marry, who should be her manager etc etc. I think everyone just needs to fuck off out of her life

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The worst about that Bitchfork thing was when they admitted it wasn't "cool" to like Prince in 2004 so they gave him a better rating now that he's dead. Ugh

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    The worst about that Bitchfork thing was when they admitted it wasn't "cool" to like Prince in 2004 so they gave him a better rating now that he's dead. Ugh
    I remember watching the Closer video making of thing and hearing Mark Romanek say it reminded him of Prince and that’s meant to be a good thing! I don’t understand when it became cool to diss Prince either