Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Because to me Tom Waits romanticizes a hobo character as a millionaire while copping what is essentially a Louis Armstrong voice. It bores me to no end. It's as unendingly dour and stylized as Bukowski, art for fedoras and vaping.

I'm in the right thread, right?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Louis Armstrong voice.
    Funny, because Louis Armstrong is not the only person to ever sing in a deep voice. His voice is more reminiscent of Howling Wolf than anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    It bores me to no end. It's as unendingly dour and stylized as Bukowski, art for fedoras and vaping.

I'm in the right thread, right?
    It's fine to not like Tom Waits, but you really come across more like a vaping, fedora wearer than the people you're insulting. I don't appreciate being insulted by some cliche 4chan insult. And I'm sure other fans of Tom here don't appreciate it as well.

edit: also, after thinking about your comment that Tom " romanticizes a hobo character as a millionaire", I think it's absurd. If he was "romanticizing" it, a lot of his lyrics revolving around street life would be a lot more positive. His songs revolving around street life with drunks, hobos, prostitutes and whatever else are usually sad, fucked up tales, some of them even inspired by real life tales. He isn't romanticizing it, he's portraying it.

And if you're talking about his style, I see Tom less as being a hobo and more of him being inspired by the beat generation, by people like Jack Kerouac, William S Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-13-2016 at 11:31 PM.