Page 131 of 191 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    you troll anything pop-related, yet you started a vacant justin timberlake thread because you loved the song he released for a kids movie (ironically, trolls).

you're odd and consistently unpleasant. to be an adult and to have such bitter, childish hangups must suck.
    Last edited by kel; 04-16-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think RnB from the 90s certainly has its charms. It's basically so called "golden era" hip hop beats with singing instead of raps.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    you troll anything pop-related, yet you started a vacant justin timberlake thread because you loved the song he released for a kids movie (ironically, trolls).

you're odd and consistently unpleasant. to be an adult and to have such bitter, childish hangups must suck.
    Got no problem with TLC & I agree they're very good. I used to friggin order their videos on The Box back in the day. My point was that what you wrote is anything but controversial, and the fact that no one had responded yet was evidence of that. Swing & a miss by me I guess.

Pointing out that Britney Spears is garbage & that I can't stand Beyonce yet positively discussing acts like Timberlake & The Weeknd consistently is not "trolling anything pop related" at all. It's just my opinions on different acts, like everyone else has. Seems more likely that you're taking personal offense to something I might post about someone you like.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 04-17-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    The Box! Holy shit, take me back to the good ol' days..

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    The Box! Holy shit, take me back to the good ol' days..
    Ah yes. I remember that. My sister and I used to call that channel to request videos. We got into trouble w/ our parents. They used to show some really cool shit. Even some obscure hip-hop like a cooler version of "Whoomp, There It Is" by 95 South or something called "Whoot, There It Is" which was a better song. They also had some kids rapping a song called "Funky Y2C". They also had some very explicit shit like Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Put 'Em on The Glass" which I think was his 2nd big hit.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i find myself going back and forth on jimmy page between rip off and great guitarist i hear "poor tom" and think what great layered acoustic work then hear gallows pole or dazed and confused and think you note for note straight ripped off Robert Jonson or some other obscure blues-man, i find it surprising how much of the Zeppelin catalog is a cover i guess him and Jeff beck are still friends i would love if they did something together if your into page great book called "light and shade"i guess I'll remain confused pun somewhat intended
    -Louie

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    i find myself going back and forth on jimmy page between rip off and great guitarist i hear "poor tom" and think what great layered acoustic work then hear gallows pole or dazed and confused and think you note for note straight ripped off Robert Jonson or some other obscure blues-man, i find it surprising how much of the Zeppelin catalog is a cover i guess him and Jeff beck are still friends i would love if they did something together if your into page great book called "light and shade"i guess I'll remain confused pun somewhat intended
    -Louie
    A lot of guitarist take from other players, I know in some cases there are Zeppelin songs that sound like a direct rip off to older blues artists. I think as Page grew as a writer he grew into his own style. You are not the first person to say that Page directly ripped off an older blues artist. However Zeppelin fans will argue with that statement. My favorite Zeppelin era is the Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence era. I think by time Page reached this level of writing he pretty much became his own person, his style was his own. As a guitarist Page had a sloppy guitar style, but I look at Page more so as a writer than a guitarist. Guitar solos bore the fuck out of me personally, I hated the 80's era heavy metal guitar solo bullshit. Where songs were written around guitar solos rather than actually just writing a song. I know a lot of people loved that 80's hair metal guitar solo shit, but I am not one of them. Page was way before that ever happened and I always felt as guitar player he was so much more tasteful than what was to follow in the 80's. Thats just my opinion I know a lot of people would disagree with that.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    A lot of guitarist take from other players, I know in some cases there are Zeppelin songs that sound like a direct rip off to older blues artists. I think as Page grew as a writer he grew into his own style. You are not the first person to say that Page directly ripped off an older blues artist. However Zeppelin fans will argue with that statement. My favorite Zeppelin era is the Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence era. I think by time Page reached this level of writing he pretty much became his own person, his style was his own. As a guitarist Page had a sloppy guitar style, but I look at Page more so as a writer than a guitarist. Guitar solos bore the fuck out of me personally, I hated the 80's era heavy metal guitar solo bullshit. Where songs were written around guitar solos rather than actually just writing a song. I know a lot of people loved that 80's hair metal guitar solo shit, but I am not one of them. Page was way before that ever happened and I always felt as guitar player he was so much more tasteful than what was to follow in the 80's. That's just my opinion I know a lot of people would disagree with that.
    i tend to agree with every thing you wrote without making this a guitar thread some of my fave were more about vibe like Jeff beck steve Howe Vernon Ried Rand Alan Holdsworth *sigh* RIP, music like art is very hard to be objective I suppose that is why they are both so diverse
    food for thought
    -Louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 04-17-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    A lot of guitarist take from other players, I know in some cases there are Zeppelin songs that sound like a direct rip off to older blues artists. I think as Page grew as a writer he grew into his own style. You are not the first person to say that Page directly ripped off an older blues artist. However Zeppelin fans will argue with that statement. My favorite Zeppelin era is the Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence era. I think by time Page reached this level of writing he pretty much became his own person, his style was his own. As a guitarist Page had a sloppy guitar style, but I look at Page more so as a writer than a guitarist. Guitar solos bore the fuck out of me personally, I hated the 80's era heavy metal guitar solo bullshit. Where songs were written around guitar solos rather than actually just writing a song. I know a lot of people loved that 80's hair metal guitar solo shit, but I am not one of them. Page was way before that ever happened and I always felt as guitar player he was so much more tasteful than what was to follow in the 80's. Thats just my opinion I know a lot of people would disagree with that.
    I always liked Page because he wrote GREAT RIFFS. Memorable. I don't go around humming a guitar riff from Steve Vai or other tapping virtuosos (sans Eddie Van Halen). But Page wrote truly immortal rock riffs, you hear just the guitar and go "oh, yeahhhhH!"

(Which was based on but sounds nothing like it.)

He tended to be sloppy, live, though; especially during his drug-and-booze-infused days.

G and I always joke that there are only so many "notes" so everybody has been pretty much ripping everybody off for a long long time.

Like, the guitar solo from the Doors "Five to One" re-appearing in Kiss's "She" and then Pearl Jam's "Alive"

Being married to a lead guitarist, I've seen damned nearly every major (and many minor) guitarists from nearly all genres and being a non-guitarist, from all of them I'd say the best guitarist I've ever seen who TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY was

HOLY SHIT.

His hands moved so fast we couldn't see 'em move!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-17-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    i tend to agree with every thing you wrote without making this a guitar thread some of my fave were more about vibe like Jeff beck
    My husband and I have gotten into some stupid arguments with people about this, a few crazed Malmsteen or Vai fans we know who went with us to see Jeff Beck live, then were like "but, he isn't as FAST as Vai" or whatever.

Jeff Beck isn't out there in front grabbing the spotlight the whole fucking night; he plays as a guitarist in a band, and he goes all kinds of ways with different genres, often blending in, or playing up front with a minimal simplicity that is so controlled that it's a lot harder to accomplish than many understand. Sure, that tapping stuff can be impressive but FOURTEEN YEAR OLDS can do that on YouTube. Try doing something mind-blowing and slaying as "Cause We Ended as Lovers."

We've seen Beck live 4 times, will never get tired of his shows.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I tend to agree with not caring much for those '80's solo guitarists, however I do think Malmsteem could write some decent riffs/songs. Always wondered what he could've been with Ozzy (and his team) post Jake E Lee, probably too much ego in him though.

Also seeing a lot of posts in the Kendrick Lamar thread. That's one guy I just can't get into. He's pretty intellectual but the music and his voice just doesn't do anything for me- not even one song. He doesn't have that "memorable" voice IMO such as someone like Tupac or Snoop or Eminem. Dunno.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I always liked Page because he wrote GREAT RIFFS. Memorable. I don't go around humming a guitar riff from Steve Vai or other tapping virtuosos (sans Eddie Van Halen). But Page wrote truly immortal rock riffs, you hear just the guitar and go "oh, yeahhhhH!"

(Which was based on but sounds nothing like it.) it wasn't the one that's on record but i did see paco de luccia di meola and mc luaghlin it was a religious experience three guys with acoustic guitars not sheet music

He tended to be sloppy, live, though; especially during his drug-and-booze-infused days.

G and I always joke that there are only so many "notes" so everybody has been pretty much ripping everybody off for a long long time.

Like, the guitar solo from the Doors "Five to One" re-appearing in Kiss's "She" and then Pearl Jam's "Alive"

Being married to a lead guitarist, I've seen damned nearly every major (and many minor) guitarists from nearly all genres and being a non-guitarist, from all of them I'd say the best guitarist I've ever seen who TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY was

HOLY SHIT.

His hands moved so fast we couldn't see 'em move!
    saw a night in san Francisco after the recording was so amazing plus Steve mores have never seen anything like it and will never again plus Paco has passed total respect just three guys acoustic guitars

-Louie

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would say that Page, Jeff Beck, and Clapton set the bar between tasteful guitar playing and respectfully staying within the song, however Beck can really get out there some times, but he does it in a way, where he is more interested in some cases getting the most obscene sounds out of the guitar (and I mean that in a good way) rather than playing a billion notes per second. He also uses a violin vibrato style which basically means he vibrates the note side to side like a violinist most guitar players vibrato is up and down or in some cases circular motion, Jeff Becks vibrato is off the charts. He is truly brilliant. Obviously I am a guitar player but in my later years, I have become obsessed with the piano and synthesizers, now when I do play guitar I try to make it not sound like a guitar, so what does that tell you.
    As for what I said earlier about the hair metal and heavy metal styles, I just wasn't into it. I would rather listen to the Cure, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, or Cocteau Twins from that time period I am more into that, but I guess that just comes down to preference I guess.
    I also have a love for Prog rock bands like Genesis, Yes and King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, and Robert Fripp. They're fucking awesome.
    I do enjoy jazz as well I listen to a lot of Myles Davis, & Coltrane. As for jazz guitarists Al Di Meola, Holdsworth, (sorry to hear that he passed, I met him he was a nice guy), Grant Green and Django Reinhardt.
    As for R&B guitarists Al Mckay of Earth Wind & Fire, Nile Rodgers of Chic, George Johnson of The Brothers Johnson, and who could forget Prince he was a motherfucker, not only could he do funk and R&B but he could rock out with the best of them.
    Of coarse honorable mention to Hendrix.
    In my later years I have an obsession with Classical piano concertos, as well as violin and cello concertos seems to be the music I gravitate to the most.
    I'm a huge Brian Eno fan so anything Eno related is usually my all time obsession.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My husband and I have gotten into some stupid arguments with people about this, a few crazed Malmsteen or Vai fans we know who went with us to see Jeff Beck live, then were like "but, he isn't as FAST as Vai" or whatever.

Jeff Beck isn't out there in front grabbing the spotlight the whole fucking night; he plays as a guitarist in a band, and he goes all kinds of ways with different genres, often blending in, or playing up front with a minimal simplicity that is so controlled that it's a lot harder to accomplish than many understand. Sure, that tapping stuff can be impressive but FOURTEEN YEAR OLDS can do that on YouTube. Try doing something mind-blowing and slaying as "Cause We Ended as Lovers."
    The culture which began in the 80's with everyone trying to play faster than everyone else has really culminated in the YouTube generation now. Obviously there's a lot of wankery involved, but some of it has been truly mind-blowing. I watched a video of a kid who couldn't have been any older than 12, playing a Steve Hackett solo. What really impressed me was that he used the volume pedal in the very way Hackett would.

There are fortunately some very good guitarists who can play their fingers off, but seem to play as far from "shredding as possible". The two biggest examples I cite are Derek Trucks and Guthrie Govan. Govan especially has the ability to play in several different styles at the turn of a hat.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The culture which began in the 80's with everyone trying to play faster than everyone else has really culminated in the YouTube generation now. Obviously there's a lot of wankery involved, but some of it has been truly mind-blowing. I watched a video of a kid who couldn't have been any older than 12, playing a Steve Hackett solo. What really impressed me was that he used the volume pedal in the very way Hackett would.
    True, it all started with Eddie's "Eruption" (1978). My husband says "but Guthrie Govan can fucking SHRED. He's a legendary guitarist."

G and I are currently OBSESSED with this kid Joey Alexander. This kid KILLS ME. KILLS ME. He's so fucking good. His hands can't even be big enough, yet, to reach a full octave, but this kid plays like an old pro. Truly a prodigy. He's THIRTEEN, released his first album at 11, got awards, played for Bill Clinton, President Obama, sat in with Wynton Marsalis ...

Last edited by allegro; 05-10-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Anthrax were/are the best of "the big four."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Metallica had the greatest "peak" with all their 80's stuff.
    Megadeth put out better material into the mid 90's than them. They have a really under rated span of about 10 years from Peace Sells through Cryptic Writings
    Slayer was different- a lot heavier than all of them, and were fantastic.
    Anthrax to me was a bit hit and miss. Among the Living was their best album, and Stomp 442 was a decent rebound.

I have no clue how to rank them other than putting Anthrax at #4. That's not a diss on them either, they're called the Big Four for a reason.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Metallica had the greatest "peak" with all their 80's stuff.
    Megadeth put out better material into the mid 90's than them. They have a really under rated span of about 10 years from Peace Sells through Cryptic Writings
    Slayer was different- a lot heavier than all of them, and were fantastic.
    Anthrax to me was a bit hit and miss. Among the Living was their best album, and Stomp 442 was a decent rebound.

I have no clue how to rank them other than putting Anthrax at #4. That's not a diss on them either, they're called the Big Four for a reason.
    Totally fair call. It's all subjective. I'm surprised you would name Stomp 442 as a "rebound" when that was the beginning of a commercial slump and Sound of White Noise had a much better reception. I've been listening to a lot of the big 4 lately, as I'm seeing all of them this summer, minus Metallica. As great as old-school Metallica is, I find myself really enjoying albums like Among the Living and Persistentence of Time somewhat more. Megadeth's last album was great, after a few uneven years and I dig Slayer, I've just been on a real Anthrax kick as of late.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    well, one thing that is not up for debate: Anthrax certainly had/has the best sense of humor of the four.

Slayer clearly had the best drummer.

Best guitarist is Dave. But was Jeff the best riff writer?

Best bassist was Cliff, right?

Best singer? Hard to compare Joey to the rest b/c they are doing such different things.

Seems odd to me that there aren't more Big Four shows set up. Seems like a no-brainer for everyone.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i had such high hopes for terence trent d'arby. sure, i was 11, but still ...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    All opinion based but for me

Slayer > Megadeth > Anthrax > Metallica

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    For me:

Anthrax > Megadeth > Metallica > Slayer

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    For me:

N*Sync > Backstreet Boys > 98° > 5ive

>.< sorry i couldn't resist

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    For me:

What?

New Kids On the Block >

clearly...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The sound of someone with diarrhea > any pop boy band

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    What?

New Kids On the Block >

clearly...
    sorry, i was focusing on the ones that popped up in the late 90s. NKOTB clearly takes the cake of them all...except for maybe menudo

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    sorry, i was focusing on the ones that popped up in the late 90s. NKOTB clearly takes the cake of them all...except for maybe menudo
    Oh yeah; they are different generations alright...

NKOTB were like Zeppelin and NSync were like Tool

Menudo were like Santana, lol...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 06-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me:

What about O-Town? You know, those guys who made that song about wet dreams?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    And Crazy Town, let's not forget about them. Technically they're/were boys in a band.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    And Crazy Town, let's not forget about them. Technically they're/were boys in a band.
    Ah, you're right. They are a boy-band disguised as a lame nu-metal band that got famous over a Red Hot Chili Peppers sample.