Page 102 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When listening to the early Beatles, I prefer the American albums. They have a better flow, IMHO.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not too many people would agree with my Black Sabbath ranking. I'm including Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know because it was really a Black Sabbath album as far as I'm concerned. The Seventh Star duo of Iommi and Hughes also released two more albums, so I'll throw those in too. I've always felt that their first two albums are overrated, while their late 70's and early post-Dio work is overlooked.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)
    Sabotage (1975)
    Master of Reality (1971)
    Vol. 4 (1972)
    Born Again (1983)
    Mob Rules (1981)
    Technical Ecstasy (1976)
    Heaven and Hell (1980)
    Seventh Star (1986)
    The Devil You Know (Heaven and Hell) (2009)
    13 (2013)
    Never Say Die! (1978)
    The DEP Sessions aka "The Eighth Star" (1996) released (2004)
    Fused (Iommi/Hughes) (2005)
    Black Sabbath (1970)
    Paranoid (1970)
    Cross Purposes (1994)
    Dehumanizer (1992)
    The Eternal Idol (1987)
    Headless Cross (1989)
    Tyr (1990)
    Forbidden (1995)
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-05-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Steve Winwoods 'back in the highlife again' is one my favorite songs of all time. Instant good mood. Usually prefer his earlier stuff with traffic or blind faith.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Not too many people would agree with my Black Sabbath ranking. I'm including Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know because it was really a Black Sabbath album as far as I'm concerned. The Seventh Star duo of Iommi and Hughes also released two more albums, so I'll throw those in too. I've always felt that their first two albums are overrated, while their late 70's and early post-Dio work is overlooked.

Sabotage (1975)
    Master of Reality (1971)
    Vol. 4 (1972)
    Born Again (1983)
    Mob Rules (1981)
    Technical Ecstasy (1976)
    Heaven and Hell (1980)
    Seventh Star (1986)
    13 (2013)
    Never Say Die! (1978)
    Black Sabbath (1970)
    Paranoid (1970)
    Cross Purposes (1994)
    Dehumanizer (1992)
    The Eternal Idol (1987)
    Headless Cross (1989)
    Tyr (1990)
    Forbidden (1995)
    Can't say I agree with all of that but agreed 1st 2 are overrated and the dio stuff underrated - master of reality is god for me though, just flawless. I really like dehumaniser too

have you seen Gonga's cover of "black sabbath" with the singer of portishead? Amazing video & a great cover, spooky female vocal adds a lot

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Can't say I agree with all of that but agreed 1st 2 are overrated and the dio stuff underrated - master of reality is god for me though, just flawless. I really like dehumaniser too

have you seen Gonga's cover of "black sabbath" with the singer of portishead? Amazing video & a great cover, spooky female vocal adds a lot
    Have not. I'll have to google it. The Dio stuff is great. I ranked Dehumanizer lower on the list because I feel that it's spoiled by its goofy doomsday lyrics about computers.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Very underrated, IMHO:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Sabotage (1975)
    Master of Reality (1971)
    Vol. 4 (1972)
    Born Again (1983)
    Mob Rules (1981)
    Technical Ecstasy (1976)
    Heaven and Hell (1980)
    Seventh Star (1986)
    13 (2013)
    Never Say Die! (1978)
    Black Sabbath (1970)
    Paranoid (1970)
    Cross Purposes (1994)
    Dehumanizer (1992)
    The Eternal Idol (1987)
    Headless Cross (1989)
    Tyr (1990)
    Forbidden (1995)
    I think that is a bit harsh on the Tony Martin era, I love Eternal Idol anyway, and loved his voice for the Ozzy stuff too (better than Ozzy IMO), also they PLAYED the ozzy stuff which Dio always refused to.

Also I went to see them in this era and Cozy Powell did a splendid drum solo to 'Mars the Bringer of War'. I always have fond memories of that gig in Liverpool, we got their autographs after the show too, the guy at the stage door was talking to us about how the band were delayed in coming out because they want their biscuits and cocoa!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think that is a bit harsh on the Tony Martin era, I love Eternal Idol anyway, and loved his voice for the Ozzy stuff too (better than Ozzy IMO), also they PLAYED the ozzy stuff which Dio always refused to.

Also I went to see them in this era and Cozy Powell did a splendid drum solo to 'Mars the Bringer of War'. I always have fond memories of that gig in Liverpool, we got their autographs after the show too, the guy at the stage door was talking to us about how the band were delayed in coming out because they want their biscuits and cocoa!
    I don't hate the Tony Martin-era, I actually thought The Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes were decent albums. Martin is a good singer, but he seemed generic to me. I felt that the music Iommi made with Glenn Hughes from 1996 was far superior to the band's last few albums with Martin.

Have you heard the unreleased album that Sabbath recorded with Ray Gillen, which was re-recorded with Tony Martin? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't hate the Tony Martin-era, I actually thought The Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes were decent albums. Martin is a good singer, but he seemed generic to me. I felt that the music Iommi made with Glenn Hughes from 1996 was far superior to the band's last few albums with Martin.

Have you heard the unreleased album that Sabbath recorded with Ray Gillen, which was re-recorded with Tony Martin? Thoughts?
    No I haven't actually, will have to give it a listen. What was it called?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    No I haven't actually, will have to give it a listen. What was it called?
    My understanding is it's the same music as The Eternal Idol, but Gillen's vocals were removed and Martin sang over the music. It's the bonus disc on the special edition:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My understanding is it's the same music as The Eternal Idol, but Gillen's vocals were removed and Martin sang over the music. It's the bonus disc on the special edition:
    I love The Eternal Idol, so the bonus disc has Gillens vocals then? I should listen and compare

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yup--that's an earlier version of the album with Ray Gillen, of the Badlands.

I just ordered that along with the special edition of Born Again, as a live concert is included. I've heard that the live version of the Gillian-led Sabbath was pretty good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just ordered that along with the special edition of Born Again, as a live concert is included. I've heard that the live version of the Gillian-led Sabbath was pretty good.
    Born Again is now available on CD? Last I tried it seemed to be out of print. I could only find the mp3 s of Disturbing the Priest and the Dark / Zero the Hero. I had it on vinyl before

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Born Again is now available on CD? Last I tried it seemed to be out of print. I could only find the mp3 s of Disturbing the Priest and the Dark / Zero the Hero. I had it on vinyl before
    It's available:
    http://www.amazon.com/Born-Again-Bla...ath+born+again

Cheapest one is the 2011 import. For $18.00 bucks you get the CD and a bonus disc. I have the 1996 and it sounds good. I heard that the original mix was terrible. Haven't heard it so I can't compare.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Steve Winwoods 'back in the highlife again' is one my favorite songs of all time. Instant good mood. Usually prefer his earlier stuff with traffic or blind faith.
    Not my favorite track on it, but the album as whole does hold up well considering.

I'm also a big fan of Nine Lives.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I liked that one too, "Dirty City" still gets quite a bit of play at the gym.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Cool — he's still playing with the same kind of band I saw him with six years ago. (Took me a while to realize there was no bass player.)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I love The Eternal Idol, so the bonus disc has Gillens vocals then? I should listen and compare
    Did you get a chance to listen to the Gillen version of The Eternal Idol? The released album with Martin was a completed album and sounds better, but I think I prefer Gillen's vocals from the scrapped album he recorded.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I can't stand music snobs who constantly talk about bands and say things like "I was listening to Marilyn Manson before he got big. Once he released Portrait of an American Family, he went mainstream and totally sucked" and "the only Pink Floyd worth listening to is with Syd Barrett. David Gilmour ruined the band" and "I was listening to (insert any goddamn band here) when they were playing in basements and handing out demos on cassette, but anything they released on a major label was shit"...

That being said, I really dig Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (back when they were a blues band), but I really, really don't like them with Stevie Nicks. I can't say that she specifically "ruined" the band, but she did, along with the whole group in a purely democratic decision, help transition them into a new direction and sound that I just don't care for. Tusk was pretty boss, but that's about the only thing I've heard from them that I liked after the Peter Green era (also not to suggest that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of their whole catalog, but my dad loves all eras of them and I grew up with their music).

I feel like a dirty, filthy hypocrite when I admit that after my first rant, but I at least make the effort not to be a total cock bag about it like some people I've talked to. Seriously, I've known people who were the type of elitist douchebags that make you just not want to listen to music anymore because it's like they try to go out of their way to ruin your enjoyment of it. How dare you like The Beautiful People or any NIN after Pretty Hate Machine or Dark Side of the Moon or any band at all who found success doing what they loved and believed in. Those people need to fuck off... listen to whatever the hell you want to listen to and let everyone else listen to whatever they want to listen to. Disagree and discuss all you want, but don't make someone feel like shit for liking what they like.

Unless it's Brokencyde... then you can yell at them all you want
    Last edited by The_Prowler; 03-11-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did you get a chance to listen to the Gillen version of The Eternal Idol? The released album with Martin was a completed album and sounds better, but I think I prefer Gillen's vocals from the scrapped album he recorded.
    Not yet, its on my list of things to buy / listen to!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I really like Brokencyde's Freaxxx

Incredible to think it's been nearly 7 years.
    They didn't live up to this single, that's for sure.
    I remember teaching a class on "bad music" we played this song in class; I had youtube open and took suggestions from the students and we watched and commented on a bunch of atrocious shit. Fun times.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I really like Brokencyde's Freaxxx

Incredible to think it's been nearly 7 years.
    They didn't live up to this single, that's for sure.
    I remember teaching a class on "bad music" we played this song in class; I had youtube open and took suggestions from the students and we watched and commented on a bunch of atrocious shit. Fun times.
    To each his/her own and music is subjective. That said, IMO, this has got to be one of the worst "songs" that I've ever heard. I can't even make it through the entire video-it really is a kind of torture for me to listen to this.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think it's a well-written and catchy pop song, an interesting combination of cheesy crunk and screamo.
    It also feels like a parody of those scenes, it's funny.

Yeah it's annoying I can see that...but I'd rather be annoyed by music than bored and alienated, as if often the case when I listen to the latest band that is all the rage.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I can't stand music snobs who constantly talk about bands and say things like "I was listening to Marilyn Manson before he got big. Once he released Portrait of an american Family, he went mainstream and totally sucked" and "the only Pink Floyd worth listening to is with Syd Barrett. David Gilmour ruined the band" and "I was listening to (insert any goddamn band here) when they were playing in basements and handing out demos on cassette, but anything they released on a major label was
    Yup. Especially when it comes to NIN songs that are "overplayed" or too mainstream. Uhhhhm, why in the fuck doesn't said person just stop listening to the damn radio or turn something on other than MTV? For fucks sake it's not like it's elevator music playing in the doctors office where someone can't turn it off or run away from it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Blurred Lines: never liked the song to begin with, never understood why it was a hit, totally uncatchy and boring and forgettable.
    The only part of it I can recall is the bit that goes "eh e-e."

I'm a Pharrell fan. I think he's generally awesome. But Blurred Lines did not deserve to be a hit, Marvin Gaye or no Marvin Gaye.
    The video and the controversy imo made it into a hit: typical case of the outraged giving something more publicity than it deserves and self-defeatingly making it a hit; see also: Black Pussy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A few songs ive heard recently that i like by bands i know little about....meaning they could be horrible bands, not sure. These songs usually arent my cup of tea but for some reason they have caught my ear. Any inside knowledge is appreciated.
    "back to the middle" deerhunter, "i want to see you dance" avid dancer, "fall in love" phantogram (not sure why i like this one, prob the electronics)

edit: this may not be controversial at all. these may be well loved bands here. not sure.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    A few songs ive heard recently that i like by bands i know little about....meaning they could be horrible bands, not sure. These songs usually arent my cup of tea but for some reason they have caught my ear. Any inside knowledge is appreciated.
    "back to the middle" deerhunter, "i want to see you dance" avid dancer, "fall in love" phantogram (not sure why i like this one, prob the electronics)

edit: this may not be controversial at all. these may be well loved bands here. not sure.
    never been able to get into deerhunter (not the be confused with the dear hunter) but some of my friends love them.
    never heard of avid dancer.
    phantogram are fantastic! pretty sure even trent likes them.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I love PJ Harvey but to be honest i don't know if i'm a fan of her anymore, after "Uh Huh Her" i lost her... "White Chalk" is an interesting album but not enough to listen to it often and it bores me mostly, "Let England Shake" was a step into another direction that i'm not even sure i like, i can listen to the album and it has a couple of great songs but most of it it's weird sounds and folkish stuff, i'm not into...

I loved the shit out of this woman, but now it's like an old friend i don't recognize anymore, i do respect she's taking chances, but i feel it's not for me anymore...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    never been able to get into deerhunter (not the be confused with the dear hunter) but some of my friends love them.
    never heard of avid dancer.
    phantogram are fantastic! pretty sure even trent likes them.
    Check out that avid dancer song, its great!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I love PJ Harvey but to be honest i don't know if i'ma fan of her anymore, after "Uh Huh Her" i lost her... "White Chalk" is an interesting album but not enough to listen to it often and it bores me mostly, "Let England Shake" was a step into another direction that i'm not even sure i like, i can listen to the album and it has a couple of great songs but most of it it's weird sounds and folkish stuff, i'm not into...

I loved the shit out of this woman, but now it's like an old friend i don't recognize anymore, i do respect she's taking chances, but i feel it's not for me anymore...
    Thank you! This is exactly how I feel and I didn't think there was anyone else out there who shared this opinion, given how much most people loved her last two albums. I, too, can appreciate her growth and change as an artist, but I can't get into the results. I'm really hoping the album she's making now will be something I can enjoy, but I'm not holding my breath.