Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lynch

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Gotbmine from my preorder... Now i have to wait til the wife gets back from out of town -.-

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

David Lynch

oh that looks so good! I wonder how much it is in the UK?

wow £54.00 from play!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161176909637?lpid=82

I love the cover of this japanese laserdisc! It makes it look like something more gruesome happens to Laura.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Broke the set in by watching the international pilor. Hilariously, in this version the killer is identified as Bob, who they soon find in the hospital basement and then gun hin down, the end. Weird!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Broke the set in by watching the international pilor. Hilariously, in this version the killer is identified as Bob, who they soon find in the hospital basement and then gun hin down, the end. Weird!
    Yes, the international pilot was made as a sort of "short film" and revealed the killer, i guess the network ordered Lynch and Frost a more "straightforward kind of killer"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fire Walk With Me in 1080p is so satisfying!

Some of the scenes in The Missing Pieces would have been great left in the movie, particularly the Bowie stuff and the scenes with Laura and Sarah.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ive never much liked Fire Walk With Me, because its only a straightforward telling of the events uncovere in the main series and its just loaded with stuff that no viewer should really WANT to see. And coming from David Lynch its surprisingly shallow and straightforward. Its fucked up in a way that David Lynch movies usually arent... So i have a lot of trouble revisiting it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Ive never much liked Fire Walk With Me, because its only a straightforward telling of the events uncovere in the main series and its just loaded with stuff that no viewer should really WANT to see. And coming from David Lynch its surprisingly shallow and straightforward. Its fucked up in a way that David Lynch movies usually arent... So i have a lot of trouble revisiting it.
    really? i LOVE it. after my first run through the series, my fiancee and i watched the film (she had seen both previously) and that was when i was like, "ok, i'm getting a twin peaks tattoo." i feel like the film is fantastic, and really not that straightforward. it's a very satisfying prequel to the events of the series, and makes the darkness of it even darker.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I like "Fire Walk with me", it's not just the story of Laura but also of the agent Chester Desmond and this was very interesting, also i like how the movie serves as a prequel and epilogue for the series proving that the agent Cooper was meant to find Laura and become her protector, cool stuff.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    As my viewing goes deeper, the set is nice, but the tranfer is inconsistent. Some shots look great, while others, like the log lady intros, dont seem to have been worked on at all. Also, the audio levels are inconsistent.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    As my viewing goes deeper, the set is nice, but the tranfer is inconsistent. Some shots look great, while others, like the log lady intros, dont seem to have been worked on at all. Also, the audio levels are inconsistent.
    that's a major bummer. :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have the gold box DVDs, and the log lady intros look a lot better than they did on that set.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It is happening again...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love this book.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    only have it on PDF, but i'll buy someday

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I thought of posting it here, since I don't have much to say about Lost Highway right now, with this being the catch-all David Lynch thread. (So it doesn't seem like it would've fit anywhere else.)

Anyway, aside from the horror, suspense and other entertainment factors that were already a given, I actually sometimes found myself to find Lost Highway to be relaxing for both some of the music and the scenery. I'll admit that I don't watch that many movies, nor have I, but I don't think I've had any horror film have that type of affect on me before. That's another thing I liked about Lost Highway whenever I'm in the mood to watch it. It was quite the pleasant surprise when I watched it for the first time, as some of the scenes and songs really were chill.

@henryeatscereal - I also put off getting a David Lynch collection for a while, but just reminded myself to get on that. From my understanding with what I've read and observed, Eraserhead, Dune and Blue Velvet are also great for starters, right?
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-29-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I also put off getting a David Lynch collection for a while, but just reminded myself to get on that. From my understanding with what I've read and observed, Eraserhead, Dune and Blue Velvet are also great for starters, right?
    You're probably better off leaving Dune out (Lynch doesn't even like that one). My starter picks would be Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and the Twin Peaks TV series. After that go with Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Elephant Man, etc.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    wild at heart is definitely a good entry-level lynch movie, but if you've already seen lost highway, you could definitely watch mulholland drive.

i don't love blue velvet (i find it to be his most depressing film for sure), and dune is weird but fun.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    LOL Dune. I never even bothered to watch that. I suggest trying out Twin Peaks as well as the movie, Fire Walk With Me. Also good introductions to Lynch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Hated Eraserhead, loved The Elephant Man and Lost Highway though.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Just don't watch FWWM before the TP series, Kris. It's, like, one big spoiler.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    @henryeatscereal - I also put off getting a David Lynch collection for a while, but just reminded myself to get on that. From my understanding with what I've read and observed, Eraserhead, Dune and Blue Velvet are also great for starters, right?
    Like all the others said: i would start with "Twin Peaks", watch the series first and then the movie; if you want to watch movies i would start with "Blue Velvet", "Wild at heart" and "Elephant Man", i like "Dune" and i don't consider it as bad as everyone make it out to be, but i would save it for last...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-30-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Like all the others said: i would start with "Twin Peaks", watch the series first and then the movie; if you want to watch movies i would start with "Blue Velvet", "Wild at heart" and "Elephant Man", i like "Dune" and i don't consider it as bad as everyone make it out to be, but i would save it for last...
    "Eraserhead" is definitely NOT the one to start with. "Wild At Heart" and "Blue Velvet" are his most down to Earth, followed by "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me"... However, this is where I differ from what's being said.. Depending on your age, and how avid a show watcher you are, I'd probably skip the Twin Peaks TV show, at least until after you watch the film.

I recently watched the complete series and I have to say, while it may have been cool and different at the time, it hasn't aged all that well. It's hokey, quirky, and has way too many characters that aren't referenced in the film (thank god). Like True Blood, it has strong storylines as well as incredibly weak storylines which it feels the need to show small parts of in nearly every episode, much like a soap opera. Plus the pacing is awkward, the reveals are weak by today's epic show standards (Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, etc), and it drags. The other thing, is that by the end, it pretty much explains nearly everything interesting about the story, which I imagine makes Fire Walk With Me a bit tedious.

I saw the film first, and it swept me off my feet. It's captivating, creepy, and has just the right of amount of unexplainable Lynch moments that let your mind wander for days after viewing. I enjoyed after all these years, going back and watching the pilot (international version), because it's a bit of an epilogue. However, if you do watch the series, the show starts to really tank after the beginning of season 2. According the cast and crew, Lynch and Frost really weren't around much or involved in the majority of the season and it shows (Ahem, Nadine.) So that's all I'll say about the the Twin Peaks series, but I do hope that the 2016 series is strong, otherwise Lynch might just go back to making albums and we all know how that goes.

In order of viewing I'd recommend "Blue Velvet", "Wild At Heart", "Twin Peaks", "Lost Highway", "Mulholland Drive". These are his strongest films. This being an NIN message board "Lost Highway" is mandatory viewing with the heavy Trent, dark influence both in sound and picture. While Lynch's other films are great as well, they falter in different ways to these five. "Eraserhead" and "Inland Empire" are his strangest. And while "Eraserhead" is probably his simplest, "Inland Empire" is his longest, most complicated. I'd say drugs are recommended for both, but they're not necessary. Those films do the tripping for you. "Dune", "The Elephant Man", and "The Straight Story" aren't in the vein of these other films. That said, any of these films are far superior to the crap Hollywood routinely tries to cram down our throats.
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 12-30-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    If I was to guide someone to the works of David Lynch. I would totally start things off with Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. since they're his most accessible and then go into films like The Elephant Man, Lost Highway, and Wild at Heart. Then go into Eraserhead and Inland Empire as there's a few things by Lynch that I need to see like The Straight Story and the Twin Peaks series.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    "Eraserhead" is definitely NOT the one to start with. "Wild At Heart" and "Blue Velvet" are his most down to Earth, followed by "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me"... However, this is where I differ from what's being said.. Depending on your age, and how avid a show watcher you are, I'd probably skip the Twin Peaks TV show, at least until after you watch the film.
    I agree, i love "Eraserhead" but i wouldn't start there (oddly it was the second Lynch movie i ever saw), "Wild at heart" is my favorite one and "Fire Walk..." is like an epilogue to the series, "Blue Velvet" has all the "kinds" of Lynch available...

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    If I was to guide someone to the works of David Lynch. I would totally start things off with Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. since they're his most accessible and then go into films like The Elephant Man, Lost Highway, and Wild at Heart. Then go into Eraserhead and Inland Empire as there's a few things by Lynch that I need to see like The Straight Story and the Twin Peaks series.
    I like "The Straight story", it's one of the simplest Lynch movies ever, oddly it doesnĦ't "feel" like a film by him, probably because it's "straight", lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say go for Blue Velvet. It's really an essential Lynch film from an earlier era; and it has many of the best qualities of (and similarities to) his later work Twin Peaks, while being a 2 hour movie instead of a long series.

...I also keep remembering Trent's review of Blue Velvet, simply because it's my favorite Lynch film, so I'm kind of pleased he liked it THAT much.

"When I saw Blue Velvet, I walked out of the theater changed and very shaken. I talked to someone later, and they said, "Didn't you think that was funny?" I didn't think it was funny. I was terrified, because, when I saw it, I realized I would have done the same thing as Kyle MacLachlan's character. I would've tried to sneak in, I would've felt for her - I would've done it all." -- "I've probably seen 'Blue Velvet' about 50 times, y'know?!"

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    I'd say go for Blue Velvet. It's really an essential Lynch film from an earlier era; and it has many of the best qualities of (and similarities to) his later work Twin Peaks, while being a 2 hour movie instead of a long series.
    It definitely is a great intro to Lynch, it has a more grounded reality that keeps it from being totally alienating to those unfamiliar with his style (whereas I could see someone being put off by Lost Highway or Eraserhead's surrealness), but still is "out there" and has that almost nightmare-dream logic and style, along with the corrupt on the insides vision of small town America that Twin Peaks envisions.

I feel like once you've seen Blue Velvet, it's easy to say what other Lynch films would work for you, depending on what you get the most out of it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    last night, some of my friends from Consequence Of Sound curated "A Celebration of David Lynch" at The Music Box, wherein people dressed up and performed as characters from some of lynch's work and mingled with the crowd who enjoyed PBR specials, fresh pie, and excellent music and art. at midnight, they showed Blue Velvet.

my wife and i went for a bit but we're grandmas so we didn't stay for the movie. it was really fun to see people we know in character beforehand, though. my friend/bandmate dan was frank, complete with oxygen mask, my friend charlotte was the log lady, and a couple guys i know were the rabbits from inland empire. there were also people who weren't "working" who came dressed up, like the couple who looked EXACTLY like Sandy & Jeffrey from blue velvet, and i came as special agent cooper (i even had a mini-cassette recorder!) with a beard haha.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^That reminds me to the time i DJ'ed at a "Lynch Party" were everyone dressed as the characters from the movies and we had "Lych-themed" music obviously.
    There was an "Elephant Man", "Laura Palmers", lots of "Rabbits" from Inland Empire and then it happened, the most awesome moment of the night: A guy dressed like the "creppy guy" from the party in "Lost Highway", came right to me with a telephone claiming "he was at my house right now", lol

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Coming on October 27, 2015.