Thread: Linkin Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Zero bait, I legitimately love the album - its one of my most played records since it came out.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Zero bait, I legitimately love the album - its one of my most played records since it came out.
    Now, I never liked people - or the notion itself - who tell others that if they find something utter shit, then no one else is allowed to like it. And I can also totally see how OML can reach people who were never really interested in Linkin Park, because it's extremely casual, extremely stripped down, so it was basically written for mainstream radio play. It's also hard to say that the record is worthless, because songs like Talking to Myself or Sharp Edges are beg to be played during a car trip for a sing-along.

But I don't know what exactly is interesting in OML, and how it may be the best since the post-Meteora era. There are so many songs which sound half-finished, where they just repeat the chorus a million times to lengthen the playtime, yet it's still rather short (ie. Battle Symphony or One More Light). Then every single song except Sharp Edges has those trap sounds and mixing styles, which very quickly turns from interesting to annoying and repetitive. It's like when someone says a big punchline, people smile (not laugh, just smile), then he keeps repeating over and over and over again, and you're like okay dude, stop it now, it's becoming reaaaal annoying. Mike's singing voice is... ugh, yeah. Sure, it's great he tried, but he already debuted it on The Catalyst so nothing revolutionary there.

It's very bold to call OML the most interesting non nu-metal LP record, when arguably at least 3 out of the 4 records preceding it easily tops it in that area. M2M and THP are much more interesting because both records did a 180; you've never heard LP sound like that before. And Living Things was the quality version of OML. Poppy, but quite creative. I really don't like how less is more is an actual thing in some people's mind; it's true for OML or Hesitation Marks. How on Earth is Battle Symphony and Halfway Right are considered better songs than In My Remains or Castle of Glass? I never parrot shit like blah blah the music industry today blah blah, but it's quite saddening how not only you can get away with giving 50% less than before, butit may be even more profiting. While Living Things wasn't knocking down boundaries (OML neither), you could say that this is pop with a Linkin Parkish twist on it. OML is just... random trap and summer pop songs with Chester.

Also, OML has some sort of protection due to Chester's death. Some people actually believe that the record has some deep message from Chester, which is absolutely mind-boggling. The very first Linkin Park song on Hybrid Theory (Papercut) was already about mental issues, so there's no reason to pretend this was something special with OML. Also, Living Things literally has a song titled I'll Be Gone.

The reaction from the two frontmen were quite shameful as well. Mike was an arrogant prick and Chester absolutely lost his mind over the vast criticism. With each interview they gave, they seemed dumber and dumber. Mike's explanation about the hatred in that React Bros (or what's their name...) video was quite delirious; like, there's no fucking way he actually believes what he's saying. I could understand if they get this upset after a record like A Thousand Suns: a record with a story, new LP elements, lots of work, etc. It must feel shit when you read stuff like LOL THIS IS GARBAGE XD. But for God's sake, they uploaded a snippet where Mike says - like someone who just had an Eureka - that what if.... guys, check this out... what if.... we did LESS now???? Cool, right???

So yeah, when you literally upload a video where you tell the world you are going to be lazy, because it's brave in your book, that's not exactly a sign of a record that is going to be the best since Meteora, but especially not an exciting one. A friend of mine always pulling my leg whenever we discuss music with shit like "yeah, but is it as good as OML? Don't think so buddy, don't think so. =)".