Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Linkin Park

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    To me, Living Things sounds like a mix of Meteora and A Thousand Suns, it feels very "classic" Linkin Park somehow but all the band has learnt since then. That is a shallow description I guess as there is TONS of stuff happening on that record, but that is one of the things I think of when I listen to Living Things

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don't hear Meteroa here at all, but do agree with ATS.

I see why I said what I said a few pages back about Living Things. I wouldn't say tons of things are going on, but there are some ideas in there that are good, they just sound thrown in. Many songs have the same sounding effects in them, and when Chester does scream, it is being drowned out by more effects.

A Thousand Suns, despite its annoying filler, just did it better for my ears. Living Things doesn't have those really big songs on it like other efforts do, and sort of meanders along for me and gets quite boring, not to mention all of Shinodas deliveries sound the same as well. I tried again but it doesn't do it for me as an LP fan.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    There is something to say about OML. I was still one of the few people who legit liked the album when it came out and, now that the stems for all the songs have been out for a few years now. I can safely say that album is mixed and mastered lack garbage. Brad, Phoenix, and Rona re in the album, on every song. There is a lot of guitar that you just CAN'T HEAR AT ALL. He's on every single song, even Good Goodbye and Invisible. One of the most what the fuck moments in the mixing of this album is there is so many vocal overdubs of harmonized vocals but, it's just COMPLETLY buried in the mix, to the point where it's like..."What the fuck was even the point?". The worst examples being the title track and Heavy.

I still think, lyrically, the album still sounds like a Linkin Park album. Heavy is still lyrically one of the best descriptions on depression since I think Easier to Run. Halfway Right is about a time that Chester got high off a fuck ton of drugs and crashed his car in a ditch. It's such a unusually dark ass song for being a pop song. And the title track being inspired by someone who worked with the label having passed away from cancer. But I know I can't ever listen to that song without thinking of Chester. I still think this album was overhated to the point of it being comical. Didn't you guys shit on Mike when he spoke about being a NIN fan during 2017 around that time?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I’m not huge on OML but I do agree the level of criticism directed at the album was way overboard. Sharp Edges and the title track hit me right in the heart though - especially the latter

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    There is something to say about OML. I was still one of the few people who legit liked the album when it came out and, now that the stems for all the songs have been out for a few years now. I can safely say that album is mixed and mastered lack garbage. Brad, Phoenix, and Rona re in the album, on every song. There is a lot of guitar that you just CAN'T HEAR AT ALL. He's on every single song, even Good Goodbye and Invisible. One of the most what the fuck moments in the mixing of this album is there is so many vocal overdubs of harmonized vocals but, it's just COMPLETLY buried in the mix, to the point where it's like..."What the fuck was even the point?". The worst examples being the title track and Heavy.

I still think, lyrically, the album still sounds like a Linkin Park album. Heavy is still lyrically one of the best descriptions on depression since I think Easier to Run. Halfway Right is about a time that Chester got high off a fuck ton of drugs and crashed his car in a ditch. It's such a unusually dark ass song for being a pop song. And the title track being inspired by someone who worked with the label having passed away from cancer. But I know I can't ever listen to that song without thinking of Chester. I still think this album was overhated to the point of it being comical. Didn't you guys shit on Mike when he spoke about being a NIN fan during 2017 around that time?
    I have a lot of respect for One More Light, I think some songs really work at doing what they wanted them to do. I have grown to like it a lot over the years quite a bit, a lot of it is probably due to the very mature lyricism which faces mental health issues in a very mature way, but I think the songs themselves are very good too. The only song I dislike is Good Goodbye, I would honestly replace that song with something else and I tend to skip it, I like the rest of the album quite a bit. I love most of the sound and production expect for some of the more annoying dated vocal effects that are present on the album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm watching Rick Beato's video on Numb. Damn, there's a lot more happening in that sucker than I thought.

They were always just... there to me, but A Thousand Suns is easily my favorite album by them, I'll even take the interludes. The first listen was the leak on shrooms, but still.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This just came on Amazon Music randomly and HOW THE FUCK did I not know about this track? What a gem.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Listings for a 20th anniversary box set of Meteora leaked today because WMG posted them early before taking them down - digital box set, 3-CD deluxe set, 4-LP vinyl box, and a Super Deluxe Box with everything, same as the 20th anniversary box for Hybrid Theory from 2020. Super Deluxe box has Meteora, Live in Texas, and another unreleased show on vinyl, LPU rarities collection, collection of random live tracks from singles, 14-track disc of completely unreleased demos, and three DVDs featuring four full shows and some other stuff from the era. Seems just as worthwhile as HT20, definitely a day-one buy for me - I imagine there'll be at least one or two physical trinkets too, like the VIP pass and recreation of the sampler cassette from HT20.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Meteora 20tg anniversary? LFG

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

unreleased track that will be on this behemoth of a Meteora re-release. I dig it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Hybrid Theory|20 box-set is one of my favorite box-sets that I own so I'm definitely going to pick up the Meteora one. Super excited to finally be getting the entirety of the Live in Texas show. I always thought it was incredibly dumb of them to split the show up between the official release and that one LPU release with the other five songs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    "Just a scar somewhere down inside of me
    Something I cannot repair
    Even though it will always be
    I pretend it isn't there (This is how I feel)
    I'm trapped in yesterday (This is how it will be)
    Where the pain is all I know (This is all I know)."

Hearing their lyrics now, it just hits so different. Love the song, I always shed a few tears every time I listen to them now. So glad I was able to see him perform 3 times in my lifetime.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post

Hearing their lyrics now, it just hits so different. Love the song, I always shed a few tears every time I listen to them now. So glad I was able to see him perform 3 times in my lifetime.
    Twice for me but yeah, completely agreed. I just still can't believe that he's gone, it's still so weird to think about. It doesn't compute even 5+ years after the fact.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Really digging this one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So glad I was able to see him perform 3 times in my lifetime.
    I never saw Linkin Park but saw Chester twice with Stone Temple Pilots and once with The Kings of Chaos. He was awesome, had that "star" quality. Saw him live up close in December of 2016 with Kings of Chaos and he was really fit, sang well and just a great frontman. Such a shame and loss.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think More the Victim bangs harder than Fighting Myself, but all three "new" songs are really good, considering the context. Don't think any of them should have made Meteora, but certainly they didn't need to be locked away for 20 years.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Nice looking set -- its a shame though that 'Lost' (and for that matter, all of the 'Lost Demos' tracks) is/are ONLY on the CDs and digital versions -- not on any of the vinyl.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Nice looking set -- its a shame though that 'Lost' (and for that matter, all of the 'Lost Demos' tracks) is/are ONLY on the CDs and digital versions -- not on any of the vinyl.
    I'd prefer them include a vinyl of the Lost Demos over the Live in Nottingham vinyl in the box set.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Love the instrumental demos in this box set. Think Fighting Myself might be my favorite track of the old new songs. Peak Linkin Park.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Umm, what?

Edit: Got excited for a second... Beat Saber?
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-04-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This bump reminded me that I saw this on the Black Friday RSD list:

Lost Demos by Linkin Park is a 14-track compilation of fully realized songs and works in progress that were recorded before and during the sessions for their landmark second album Meteora. Lost Demos was included on CD in the limited edition Meteora 20th Anniversary Edition Super Deluxe Box Set. It has never been released on vinyl.

Although the release title includes the word ‘demos’, the first three tracks are songs that were completed during the Meteora recording sessions but were not included on the final album. “Lost” was released to promote the Meteora 20th Anniversary Edition and became a hugely successful single globally. Fan favorites “Fighting Myself” and “More The Victim” round out the trifecta of unearthed studio treasures. Both make their vinyl debut along with “Lost” on this compilation.

Pressed on Translucent Sea Blue vinyl as a limited edition RSD Black Friday exclusive.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Umm, what?

Edit: Got excited for a second... Beat Saber?
    Social media manager should know better than this, lol. Sheesh.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Hahaaa, that is what everyone was saying in the comments.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Pretty good performance of Bleed It Out here. Obviously the whole thing hinged on the woman doing Chester's parts, and I think she performed them well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the band has been teasing the trackless for a Greatest Hits album that will also include a One More Light outtake.

Better than Mike releasing another 5 variations on his latest solo track, I guess.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    that will also include a One More Light outtake.
    I can't imagine too many people being excited about that one...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Here's a snippet of the new song, comes out Friday.

I don't understand the economics of a Greatest Hits album in the streaming era, but if it's a vessel for unreleased music, fine by me. It does very much sound like a mid-tier One More Light outtake, but hearing Chester's voice on new music will always get to me a little, so I appreciate it being released.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Interesting article on Billboard today - there's been talk of LP trying out female vocalists for some sort of future project, the main fire coming from a random Jay Gordon interview where he (unprompted?) said that they already had a female vocalist in place, then had to walk that back while the interview was still going because he realized what he'd said, then spent the rest of the week desperately attempting damage control. I thought there wasn't anything to it, but this article seems to make it clear that they're at least testing the waters in the background on a new tour with a new vocalist in Chester's place. Particularly of note that not even the entire band seems to be on board, but there's no context for that bit of it so who knows what that's about.

I'm kind of casually pessimistic about this - we already know that Linkin Park as we knew it is simply never coming back because Chester is gone. If the rest of them (or three out of five, apparently), want to try a new thing under the same banner, sure, go ahead. I'll certainly give it a listen, but my expectations will be low.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What actually surprises me is that Mike, Joe and Brad haven't started offering themselves as a songwriting/production outfit for alt-pop artists and the emoraprock revival, considering how massively influential LP has been to those scenes.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm excited for LP to mirror NINs tour blueprint of playing LA 7 nights, 2 nights in Red Rocks, Chicago 3 nights and NYC 4 nights with a date in London and calling it a world tour.