Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sanctified ends that way too

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Discipline
    Discipline is an ascending "Oooohooohoooh Ooh OOOOOH" though, a very different kind of hooooo hooooo.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Discipline is an ascending "Oooohooohoooh Ooh OOOOOH" though, a very different kind of hooooo hooooo.
    The question was about the very ending of a song. See what he's doing at 13:35

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The question was about the very ending of a song. See what he's doing at 13:35

Right, I completely brushed over the "LIVE" parameter. Oooooh Oooooh sustained.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Has anyone else noticed how similar the Kia logo is to the NIN logo? It's almost close enough for lawyers to become involved.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how similar the Kia logo is to the NIN logo? It's almost close enough for lawyers to become involved.
    someone made some Kia Pretty Affordable Machine shirts awhile ago.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Has it ever been confirmed anywhere which songs from “Still” were written specifically in mind to appear on the One Hour Photo soundtrack? Has TR ever been asked?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Has it ever been confirmed anywhere which songs from “Still” were written specifically in mind to appear on the One Hour Photo soundtrack? Has TR ever been asked?
    My guess would be the instrumental tracks since those are the most score-like parts of the album. Trent did say that they were evolutions of music that he created for the film, so they're probably not what would have been heard in the final film. Funny enough, the workprint of the film uses La Mer during a montage.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I bought Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon.ca).

I don't have the original copy from 2004 anymore, and wanted to complete my set.

When it arrived, it looks absolutely different than what I remembered. Slipcase is no longer plastic, and instead everything is printing on a cardboard slipcase itself.

Instead of "nine inch nails", it's spelled "nineinchnails". Made in Austria in the back. I googled and found a thread on Reddit where someone did his research and said the CDs inside are legit aka reprinted in Sony plant in Austria. I haven't seen this on nincatalog yet.

What am I staring at? Is this legit? Everyone who commented on Reddit got it from Amazon.ca. I thought it's fake and immediately requested refund from Amazon.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/G6PuVJ6

It has a discogs page, btw: https://www.discogs.com/release/1426...ownward-Spiral

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...luxe_question/
    Last edited by shagg_187; 08-27-2023 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    My best guess would be repress cost-cutting.

The original pressing had the plastic slipcase and it was available during the initial print run of this release in most if not all territories. The Canadian repress was manufactured in Austria and the assets submitted for reproduction were modified to place the slipcase graphics on the outer package. Clearly someone forgot to include some spaces.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    My guess would be the instrumental tracks since those are the most score-like parts of the album. Trent did say that they were evolutions of music that he created for the film, so they're probably not what would have been heard in the final film. Funny enough, the workprint of the film uses La Mer during a montage.
    That’s interesting re: La Mer.

I wonder if all of the instrumental tracks were for it or just little elements of each? Especially given “Leaving Hope” is the title track or namesake of Leaving Hope Music. That one feels a lot more personal.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The standard NIN in a box logo, does anyone know if that's a specific font?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    The standard NIN in a box logo, does anyone know if that's a specific font?
    I’m pretty sure it was hand designed, so not a font https://www.nin.wiki/Logo_History

Following up with my own question. Does someone have the post archived from when NIN borrowed a synth for the NIN/JA London date with Gary Numan? Having nostalgia for that time and want to unearth it again

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    which song ends live with trent singing a long descending line that’s just “ohohohohoh”?
    Doesn't March of The Pigs live end like this as well?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's my random nerd question: I was re-watching the below video (around 39 minutes in) where Alessandro goes over some of his gear from the past tour, and he mentions the Sustainiac pickup fitted into one of his guitars - does anyone have any insight as to which songs he might have used that on?

Last edited by Jazzkokehead; 10-13-2023 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Here's my random nerd question: I was re-watching the below video (around 39 minutes in) where Alessandro goes over some of his gear from the past tour, and he mentions the Sustainiac pickup fitted into one of his guitars - does anyone have any insight as to which songs he might have used that on?
    In the video, he mentioned Somewhat Damaged and The Big Come Down as the songs where he plays this guitar. I clicked around some live footage and it looks like it may also be used on The Becoming and The Wretched. I was too lazy to dig further, but if you want I can just list all the songs where he plays guitar (any guitar) for you to look at the footage too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't recognise the image on this Woodstock bootleg, and it certainly doesn't look like that show. Is it AI generated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    I don't recognise the image on this Woodstock bootleg, and it certainly doesn't look like that show. Is it AI generated?
    wtf is this lol it looks like messi not trent

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That's definitely not Trent, lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Following up with my own question. Does someone have the post archived from when NIN borrowed a synth for the NIN/JA London date with Gary Numan? Having nostalgia for that time and want to unearth it again
    Not sure what post you're referring to, but here's the video on their YouTube page where you can see some nice shots of the synth. Vintage PolyMoog I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I searched 'Vagina Dentata' and results came back (haunted) null.
    It seems to me that the With Teeth album might be referring to Vagina Dentata...especially since the original title was going to be Bleed Through.
    Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    It seems to me that the With Teeth album might be referring to Vagina Dentata...especially since the original title was going to be Bleed Through.
    Any thoughts?
    stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stop what? It's a simple question. Can you handle that?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Any thoughts?
    Keep up the research - I like this line of questioning.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Any thoughts?
    This answer is less interesting, but it's about addiction. Trying to drop the habit but it's holding on with teeth.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    And Bleedthrough was a reference to remnant recordings bleeding through overlapping sound, like on old cassette tapes, while being a multiverse theme (hidden world bleeding through reality). Trent scrapped it because it sounded too much like a maxipads ad (his words).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think calling the album With Teeth was meant to show that it was a more raw and aggressive album compared to The Fragile. Trent said in an interview that he wanted it to be "twelve good punches to the face". That title conjures up primal images, like a beast in a cage that's grinning at you before it escapes.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I got the TVT Records NMS 10 Sampler tape today. I can confirm that Down In It is the same as the album version.

Head Like A Hole is a noticeably different mix of the album version and overall longer. It corresponds with no other mix I have heard before. The differences I heard are:
    -The main snare sound is pitched lower than the album version or just a different sample altogether.
    -The snare part is slightly different during parts of the song.
    -The breakdown after the second chorus is longer and totally different sounding, less instrumentation but with a more prominent synth percussion part panning left and right.
    -The last chorus and "Bow down before the one you serve" outro are both longer, which is why this is nearly 1 minute longer along with that longer breakdown.

This mix is credited to Keith LeBlanc, who is not credited for the mix on the album version of HLAH, and only for the Clay mix on the HLAH single.

I was able to get a recording so I could compare to the album version, but my tape deck is acting up and running slightly slower than it should be (I was able to correct it in Adobe Audition but that's less than ideal). I need to get a new tape deck so I can make a better transfer, or I could get with Ryan @ninlive and get him to do the transfer. Either way, I'd like to share this mix with folks, just want to get a good transfer of it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    To update... I just finished the transfers and have sent them over to trollmanen. 24/96 FLAC. Very cool to hear the different version of Head Like A Hole. I am usually not one to get excited about stuff like that. But it was definitely an "early" mix or another version they were playing around with before the album release.
    Did this ever get shared?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think calling the album With Teeth was meant to show that it was a more raw and aggressive album compared to The Fragile. Trent said in an interview that he wanted it to be "twelve good punches to the face". That title conjures up primal images, like a beast in a cage that's grinning at you before it escapes.
    But it ended up being 13 tracks, so which song is a bad punch to the face?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Did this ever get shared?
    Not quite yet.