Page 16 of 216 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What effects does Trent use for the guitar in Welcome Oblivion(song) the digital sounding guitar that's also in My Violent Heart. Also how does he acuire the scrambly sound in head down after the second chorus?

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    is there a good sounding or even soundboard version of "closer to god" out there? someone postet a youtube video from 1995 in the NIN 2013 tour thread, but the audio is not really worth putting it on my ipod. thanks guys!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    is there a good sounding or even soundboard version of "closer to god" out there? someone postet a youtube video from 1995 in the NIN 2013 tour thread, but the audio is not really worth putting it on my ipod. thanks guys!

This is the version I always had on my iPod and random NIN mix CDs I made, someone put it on YT with edited to clips. I believe this is the soundboard version, if not..it's super clear.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    fucking A! thanks for that one! I really don't know why I don't own a bootleg of this already and why the video hasn't popped up when I went searching on youtube. Thanks alot!

EDIT: Wow, that whole footage from the Dissonance tour is pretty sweet sounding. And some of the visuals are quite amazing, too! "hello spaceboy" sounds great!
    Last edited by dlb; 02-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anybody have the gif of Trent blowing out candles (whilst playing piano during the MTV/Still sessions) for me?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did someone archive everything NIN sold on ebay?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Did someone archive everything NIN sold on ebay?
    I don't think this is *everything*, but there's this http://theslip.apocalyptech.com/nine...index-000.html

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm looking for a particular version of Hurt that was played sometime between 2005 and 2007, where it's just Trent and a piano for virtually the whole song, and the full band comes in only right at the very end. Most notably, the first chorus was sung softly in the same vein as the verses. In most live performances of Hurt, Trent yells both choruses. If anyone can direct me to a recording of this, it would be most appreciated!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Whenever I use a music program to recommend similar artists to NIN, without fail I get Rico as a suggestion. He is (was?) fucking awesome I know, but is there actually a NIN connection or does he just sound similar enough that they know I'll like it?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Whenever I use a music program to recommend similar artists to NIN, without fail I get Rico as a suggestion. He is (was?) fucking awesome I know, but is there actually a NIN connection or does he just sound similar enough that they know I'll like it?
    Wasn't Rico that guy from Judge Dredd?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

This guy

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I remember a magazine calling him a "Scottish Trent Reznor" (why I bought Sanctuary Medicines), and he worked with Numan at some point. That's all I've got.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    EDIT: shit wrong thread never mind

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Regarding the videos for Still (the ones posted on NIN's Vimeo recently), do the videos use the actual audio from the performances, or are they dubbed with different studio tracks? There are some variations in Trent's vocal delivery on Something I Can Never Have, but the audio for The Becoming still has that weird buzzy filter over the piano at the beginning, exactly like the studio version. I hope I articulated my question clearly enough.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    The performances in the video are probably live, but still overdubbed with either additional electronic parts or different takes whatsoever. It's kinda like Gave Up video (where the audio is a live-in-studio performance, but not exactly the one depicted in video.

I also think that either SICNH or Gone, Still (forgot which one) doesn't have Jerome in credits on Still CD, while he appears in both videos.
    Last edited by fillow; 03-15-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Perusing the ninwiki and came across this for Wilkes Barre, PA, 11/6/2005:

Quote Originally Posted by ninwiki
    Nine Inch Nails plays to an almost empty 10,000-seat arena on a Sunday night in Wilkes-Barre and Trent seems kind of pissed about it right from the start. After Terrible Lie he says, "Thank you, we're Spinal fucking Tap." A malfunctioning curtain also draws Trent's wrath when it drops down just far enough to cover his face during March of the Pigs. After the, "And doesn't it make you feel better?" line, Reznor stops the song and says, "What would make me feel better would be to take the guy that raises that curtain and just punch the living fuck out of his fucking face right now. You know what I'm saying?"
    This is why I love the ninwiki. Is there a video of this anywhere??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The performances in the video are probably live, but still overdubbed with either additional electronic parts or different takes whatsoever. It's kinda like Gave Up video (where the audio is a live-in-studio performance, but not exactly the one depicted in video.
    Sounds likely. There are a few spots in The Becoming where you can clearly see that Trent isn't playing the piano take you're hearing.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Perusing the ninwiki and came across this for Wilkes Barre, PA, 11/6/2005:

This is why I love the ninwiki. Is there a video of this anywhere??
    Yeah, there's a DVD source for this show. It has both of those moments. The curtain incident is not clear in the video though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Regarding the videos for Still (the ones posted on NIN's Vimeo recently), do the videos use the actual audio from the performances, or are they dubbed with different studio tracks? There are some variations in Trent's vocal delivery on Something I Can Never Have, but the audio for The Becoming still has that weird buzzy filter over the piano at the beginning, exactly like the studio version. I hope I articulated my question clearly enough.
    Fillow's got it right. As I understand it, the video for The Becoming was recorded in such a way to mimic what the audio recording was like, but it's dubbed to the 'studio' version because you can't really record drums in the same small room as piano and acoustic guitar. The other two "Still" videos are actually entirely different performances of tracks that were on the album, but were recorded with similar setups. I'm so glad the full resolution versions went online finally. Rob had put up one of them in full res on his portfolio a while back, so I figured this stuff was out there somewhere.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Vimeo says the Still live tracks were recorded at Nothing Studios, whereas TR has mentioned the CD versions were recorded in his living room.. if that means anything.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Didn't Trent, like, lived at Nothing Studios in New Orleans these years?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    maybe Rob actually can up some videos that idk...people have actually never seen before considering there's a mountain of tapes we can only wish to see dating back to the PHM era

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Didn't Trent, like, lived at Nothing Studios in New Orleans these years?
    I was under that impression for quite some time as well, but he had a house separate from Nothing Studios in New Orleans. Last I knew John Goodman owned the house and Nothing Studios just recently found a new owner. There was an interview with the new owners somewhere where they talk about searching the property for any remnants of the Nothing days but weren't able to find anything.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 03-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    maybe Rob actually can up some videos that idk...people have actually never seen before considering there's a mountain of tapes we can only wish to see dating back to the PHM era
    I just really want to see footage from the Wave Goodbye club tour... we never got anything from Chicago

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Vimeo says the Still live tracks were recorded at Nothing Studios, whereas TR has mentioned the CD versions were recorded in his living room.. if that means anything.
    The Becoming looks like it was filmed in the big rehearsal space at Nothing Studios - you can see the same space (I think) all lit up on the rehearsal footage of "Just Like You Imagined" - but the other two Still videos were filmed at his house.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Ok, this is driving me nuts! On the "Appendage:NFF" section of Closure at exactly 36:50 in, what fuckin song are Trent and Danny working on. I can put my finger on it. I know I have heard that track somewhere.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    sex dwarf or whatever?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Yes. Just like the top comments say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Ok, this is driving me nuts! On the "Appendage:NFF" section of Closure at exactly 36:50 in, what fuckin song are Trent and Danny working on. I can put my finger on it. I know I have heard that track somewhere.
    Ok now i'm glued to watching this video... AGAIN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    From NINwiki it's a cover of Soft Cell's "Sex Dwarf".