Page 3 of 208 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Check out ninwiki, he had a younger sister called Tera. Briana may be his niece? I know his nephew was a mic tech or something on the last tour as someone linked to his instagram
    Oh wow that black dude? He was super chill and offered me a guitar pick for a piece of gum - he then proceeded to get yelled at by trent to "give him a fucking pick" because he wasn't paying attention. (stl show)

lololol

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Who is Briana Mae Reznor? Trent's sister? Wasn't Trent Reznor an only child?
    something something personal information something something none of anyone's business

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh c'mon it's not that bad of an infringement... It's not thaaat personal I mean we're talking possible siblings, not deep inner secrets.

That's from The Slip right? What about the tattoo on the girl? Lights in the Sky?

Hey what's the symbol underneath my name? It looks like a show ticket. I'm aware that it determines my rank in this forum, but what is it, actually?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Alright here's another one, what do the symbols mean on the front page picture before you enter echoingthesound.org.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Alright here's another one, what do the symbols mean on the front page picture before you enter echoingthesound.org.
    If you mean http://www.echoingthesound.org/herp.jpg then the symbols in his tattoo is the track art for Demon Seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I was going through some old boxes of mine at my folks' house the other day and I came across some old NIN bootleg VHS tapes I acquired in HS/College (mid-late 90s). I have the resources to rip them, but I don't want to duplicate efforts. Is there a database of Live NIN videos that are currently in circulation or on YouTube? I emailed Ryan from Reflecting In The Chrome, but he never got back to me.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dierythmus View Post
    Hi All,

I was going through some old boxes of mine at my folks' house the other day and I came across some old NIN bootleg VHS tapes I acquired in HS/College (mid-late 90s). I have the resources to rip them, but I don't want to duplicate efforts. Is there a database of Live NIN videos that are currently in circulation or on YouTube? I emailed Ryan from Reflecting In The Chrome, but he never got back to me.
    Hi,
    before anyone with better knowledge replies to you, you can check here: http://www.gladcarrot.com/
    The most of commonly circulating video recordings of early shows should be there

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    About Pretty Hate Machine. Was that album known to be astonishingly hi-fi or high quality sounding? I feel like the drum machine/percolating synth music at that time from other artists was maybe not quite as "clear" and "clean" or bright sounding... Am I right or totally off?
    To my ears it's like Duran Duran's stuff was sounding really good too at that time but Depeche Mode was kind of grey and muffled; like the reverbs weren't good or something, or like their drum machines didn't have the presence and crisp sound like they do in PHM.

Maybe I'm crazy...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Random Trent Reznor question here:

For starters, I'm just blown away by songs like Leaving Hope, All That Could Have Been, Various Methods of Escape, While I'm Still Here, etc.
    I listened very carefully to Leaving Hope just now, paying attention to the melody instruments, as well as the chord progressions, the structure, and all the pads and layers.

When I listen to these sad and profound, emotionally deep songs from NIN, I always wonder;
    "How did Trent learn to compose songs that bring us goosebumps across our skin, and tears top our eyes? How did he learn to communicate so much emotion with his music? Who influenced him?"

I'm trying to listen to a lot of music that can do the same thing NIN does to me, and I find that some artists come close, but NIN has a way of being a couple steps further.

Without NIN, I think if I tried to write music, especially serious and melancholy songs, they would significantly lack layers, variation, effort and innovation. From experience I've found that I've over done emotion; usually getting an overly dramatic sound, or getting something that sounds too light, strange, or "happy", when it really should sound like rock bottom defeat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Without NIN, I think if I tried to write music, especially serious and melancholy songs, they would significantly lack layers, variation, effort and innovation. From experience I've found that I've over done emotion; usually getting an overly dramatic sound, or getting something that sounds too light, strange, or "happy", when it really should sound like rock bottom defeat.
    Someone else can probably cite some of Trent's influences, but regarding trying to write emotional music, personally, I don't think everyone can write every type of music (e.g., emotional, simple, complex, personal, accessible ...). I'm not talking about talent or skill, which are also factors, but people observe things different ways, and, I think, most "effective" music is built upon the creator's perspective. I think you have to be able to judge "does this music feel right" in sort of an iterative way (repeatedly, at different scales), which is a different question than asking "does this music resemble this existing music."

That's just a guess, though. In any case, I think I can relate in not being able to write very dramatic music. I just always end up being subtle, static, and impersonal (which I guess just conveys a different type of emotion or drama).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Someone else can probably cite some of Trent's influences, but regarding trying to write emotional music, personally, I don't think everyone can write every type of music (e.g., emotional, simple, complex, personal, accessible ...). I'm not talking about talent or skill, which are also factors, but people observe things different ways, and, I think, most "effective" music is built upon the creator's perspective. I think you have to be able to judge "does this music feel right" in sort of an iterative way (repeatedly, at different scales), which is a different question than asking "does this music resemble this existing music."

That's just a guess, though. In any case, I think I can relate in not being able to write very dramatic music. I just always end up being subtle, static, and impersonal (which I guess just conveys a different type of emotion or drama).
    Interesting. I appreciate your input.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post

Do you know of songs from other artists that impact you in a power/sad/deep way more than NIN?

Sometimes I try to compare and look for songs that can beat NIN in that area just to see if such music exists, but so far, This Mortal Coil's cover of song, Song to the Siren is probably the only other song that can bring me into that quiet, dark place inside. Depeche Mode comes quite close too but I find that they can be a little bit too depressing or romantic sounding. Blonde Redhead I find is pretty good in that melancholy area, but again, personally I find it lacks that punch and release that NIN has. NIN gives me a sadness that makes me feel very good usually, not too depressed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In most of the album Ghosts, what are some of Trent's main organic, metallic, plucked string instruments?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    In most of the album Ghosts, what are some of Trent's main organic, metallic, plucked string instruments?
    Detuned guitars and pianos were used for sure - but some of it was samples, some of it was weird items from TR/AR/AC's own collection, it's hard to pin down. Which I kinda like.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Detuned guitars and pianos were used for sure - but some of it was samples, some of it was weird items from TR/AR/AC's own collection, it's hard to pin down. Which I kinda like.
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In year Zero, where did most of the drum sounds come from? Was it from a circuit bent Casio or something? Or was it a distorted vacuum tube drum machine?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is there a name for the type of beats that were used in Year Zero, or was Trent and Atticus just doing whatever the hell they wanted to do?

Reason why I ask is because to me, the beats seemed very glitchy, i.e. like glitch music. Is that what they were going for a little? Or maybe a blend?
    Also, are circuit bent sounds still in?

I sound like an idiot but bare with me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Did Trent and the team create all the threads and forums on this thing? I'm just thinking to myself that it looks like some people made some of their own...

I mean like the, "Dreams of NIN and Them" thread, lol was that created by a fan or Reznor?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Did Trent and the team create all the threads and forums on this thing? I'm just thinking to myself that it looks like some people made some of their own...

I mean like the, "Dreams of NIN and Them" thread, lol was that created by a fan or Reznor?

This is a fan-run site. Trent/NIN have no hand in making or maintaining this forum. Same with the NIN Hotline.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    This is a fan-run site. Trent/NIN have no hand in making or maintaining this forum. Same with the NIN Hotline.
    Oh shit no way hey?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Trent has zero input on this site. @Leviathant runs this place

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

This is as official as it got with Trent Reznor on the actual forum. He was simply trent_reznor over there. It's still up in the air from the looks of it, and they currently aren't accepting any new user registrations, as they've been disabled. The forums as slow and stagnant as they are, still seem to remain active. And aside from disabling new user registrations, having the URL removed from NIN.com's home page has also inevitably caused that to happen as well.

http://forum.nin.com/bb/index.php

As for Trent Reznor being anywhere on Echoing the Sound new or old, he was teitan, and was neither moderator or administrator as already mentioned.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...ers/109-teitan
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

As for Trent Reznor being anywhere on Echoing the Sound new or old, he was teitan, and as already mentioned was neither moderator or administrator.

Don't worry guys, I sent him a friend request. He should be back any day now to address your concerns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This is as official as it got with Trent Reznor on the actual forum. He was simply trent_reznor over there. It's still up in the air from the looks of it, and they currently aren't accepting any new user registrations, as they've been disabled. The forums as slow and stagnant as they are, still seem to remain active. And aside from disabling new user registrations, having the URL removed from NIN.com's home page has also inevitably caused that to happen as well.

http://forum.nin.com/bb/index.php

As for Trent Reznor being anywhere on Echoing the Sound new or old, he was teitan, and as already mentioned was neither moderator or administrator.

Damn, I wish he would go on this website and do a Q and A. That would be really nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Did Trent Reznor use Maschine Studio or Maschine something else to make Hesitation Marks?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Did Trent Reznor use Maschine Studio or Maschine something else to make Hesitation Marks?
    "If not every song, almost every song" was composed in/with Maschine for Hesitation Marks.

Trent Reznor talks about Maschine/Hesitation Marks starting around 4:50
    Last edited by Jon; 04-29-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    "If not every song, almost every song" was composed in/with Maschine for Hesitation Marks.

Trent Reznor talks about Maschine/Hesitation Marks starting around 4:50
    Thank you for your quick reply, but I was actually wondering weather he used Maschine Studio, or one of the older versions of Maschine.

Whatchew facepalming for Eversonpoe!!!??? Trent doesn't specify which model of Maschine he used!!! I have a feeling it was the MKII because Maschine Studio was released very early in 2013...
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 04-30-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What do you all think of Everything? It's supposed to sound like an indie rock/alternative rock song with an underlying Nine Inch Nails-ness to it right? That was my impression. I thought the instrumentation was supposed to be intentionally ironic that way.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    What do you all think of Everything?
    For my thoughts, as far as the sound, Everything is just a thoroughly weirdass piece to come from Trent. Nearing two years later and I still have no clue of whether I like it or not. Never before has any song bamboozled me so. It also strikes me as strange that it was used as a single for HM, and was also purported to have been made for a nin greatest hits album. Why and why?

It would have been nice to hear nin perform Everything live. I think the live incarnation would have helped me get a better feel for it. The studio version is elusive to me.

It's supposed to sound like an indie rock/alternative rock song with an underlying Nine Inch Nails-ness to it right?
    According to Trent,

"To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    For my thoughts, as far as the sound, Everything is just a thoroughly weirdass piece to come from Trent. Nearing two years later and I still have no clue of whether I like it or not. Never before has any song bamboozled me so. It also strikes me as strange that it was used as a single for HM, and was also purported to have been made for a nin greatest hits album. Why and why?

It would have been nice to hear nin perform Everything live. I think the live incarnation would have helped me get a better feel for it. The studio version is elusive to me.

According to Trent,

"To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order."

Oh it's interesting to hear that from Trent. Kool that he explained it a bit.

And yeah including that in a greatest hits album does seem strange. But at the same time, I feel it could belong their because of it's unusual sound, and the lyrics that suggest a new Trent Reznor that has emerged. Then a gain, a lot of songs suggest his new being I would say.