Page 168 of 182 FirstFirst ... 68 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,040 of 5439

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    This is from like, this week. This man does not look 90!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    ^^ no wayyyy, he's not 90!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I come from a pretty dysfunctional family, filled with divorces and stuff. My Dad has a brother and a sister. I hardly ever saw his brother (1) because my dad and uncle fought a lot, and (2) my uncle was married, like, 5 times. His first wife and 2 kids, I don’t even remember or didn’t really know, they were gone by the time I was about 4. Then he remarried when I was around 5 and had a daughter when I was 6. Then divorced when I was around 9, and that daughter, Krista, and her Mom moved to Florida and we never saw her again.

And my uncle never saw his kids. And MY parents divorced so we weren’t around on my dad’s side, either.

And for some weird reason, I’d been thinking about Krista a lot, especially lately. I wondered what happened to her, how she was doing, etc. We’re talking, like, jeez, 50 years?

Early this morning, I got an Ancestry email that someone messaged me on Ancestry.

IT WAS KRISTA!!! Saying, hey, our DNA matches and I guess we are cousins but I wanna know how, etc.

My Ancestry profile just shows a generic ID name. So I messaged back and said, your Dad is my Dad’s brother.

And she and I have been messaging all day! Ends up she reconnected with her dad recently and it’s been great, she still lives in Florida but she flew to the Detroit area to visit with him for 4 days, 2 weeks ago.

This is all so bizarre, but in a good way.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-23-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that's great. the most I get from the DNA profile is "click here to find out if your DNA is why you can't wake up early in the morning"

I just figure it's because I like a warm bed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This got even weirder tonight texting with her; ends up SHE’S A PARALEGAL!!!!

Lol wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    "click here to find out if your DNA is why you can't wake up early in the morning"
    Wait … We can find that out via DNA???
    Last edited by allegro; 09-23-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Chris, people with your genetics in their 40s wake up on average around 8:04 am on their days off.
    Your wake-up time prediction
    To predict your wake-up time, we looked at 450 places in your DNA that are associated with being either a morning person or a night person. In addition to genetics, as you get older you're likely to naturally wake up earlier. Adjust the tools below to see how different genetics and age could affect wake-up times.
    What's spooky is that I do naturally wake up around 8:00.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

so adorable.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This got even weirder tonight texting with her; ends up SHE’S A PARALEGAL!!!!
    Alas, as my husband (and MOTHER, LOL) guessed because she lives in Florida ... I spied her Facebook page and she's a Republican.

*sigh*

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Alas, as my husband (and MOTHER, LOL) guessed because she lives in Florida ... I spied her Facebook page and she's a Republican.

*sigh*
    Pardon my international unintelligence, but why is Florida, in particular, a Republican state? Or Trump supporters? From what I’ve gathered/observed, Texas and all those southern rootin’ tootin’ states support/supported him, but why Florida? All the way over/down there by the water? Even people of sound mind who you wouldn’t expect to support him, if they live in that state, do. Why is that? What is this phenomenon?!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Pardon my international unintelligence, but why is Florida, in particular, a Republican state? Or Trump supporters? From what I’ve gathered/observed, Texas and all those southern rootin’ tootin’ states support/supported him, but why Florida? All the way over/down there by the water? Even people of sound mind who you wouldn’t expect to support him, if they live in that state, do. Why is that? What is this phenomenon?!
    It's complicated. It used to be more purple than red. And if you look at county votes, the difference is usually 400K-100K vote difference. Then you have the GOP playing dirty, as usual. - If they hadn't pulled this shit, they would have lost that race.

Economically, you have a blend of born & raised Floridians and wealthy retirees... Historically FL was farming and cattle raising, so it has gone from this rural environment (which still exists and is VERY present in central Florida - it feels like Texas), to this vacation/ tourist dominant environment.

I live in Florida, and I am NOT Republican, so I kinda wrinkle my nose at @allegro 's husband's assumption that all people in Florida are. However, I *do* see a lot of Trump flags and assholes in stores with no mask wearing "don't mess with my freedom" t-shirts. Florida *is* in the south, it's the southernmost state on the east coast, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I swear Dan is a real person but the questions he asks sometimes you have to wonder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I received an automated happy birthday from ETS. Haven't been here in ages (pretty sure it's been over a decade). Happy to see the place is still around.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jehuty View Post
    I received an automated happy birthday from ETS. Haven't been here in ages (pretty sure it's been over a decade). Happy to see the place is still around.
    Me, too!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I would normally put this in the Literature forum but I figure more people would see it here.

Also if you really like Vampires you should check out the Super Scary Haunted Home School podcast from Grady Hendrix, it's chock full of vampire information across history. Also a surprisingly in-depth read of WW1 vis-à-vis horror films.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Me, too!
    I send homemade pan fried sun dried happy birthdays to ETS people I don't even KNOW, REGULARLY...

But I'm not on the list for automated happy birthday, I guess.

(obviously I understand that it's a new feature.)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So it's been awhile since i had an update on my side hussle. A few months back i noted a few of my drawings went viral, around 3k likes on Twitter, which was awesome. Since then my followers have grown slowly and i started doing Commissions for extra cash which is going really well, and i'm getting much better at drawing. I decided to randomly get involved in the latest "meme" drawing challenge (this happens every few weeks) this time a character dressed in nothing but an apron (the internet is weird) and it exploded. Within a day that drawing has amassed almost 14,000 likes, and looking at the analytics over 250,000 people had seen it...which is insane! My follower count exploded as well and my DM's are now filled with people asking about commissions.

It's such a strange feeling having gone decades of teachers saying i have "no future in art" and friends saying "stop drawing and just be normal and come drinking" to seeing thousands of people loving what i'm doing. The internet is still a cluster fuck, but this has been a bright spot in a dim couple of years!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It's windy and rainy.

It's Friday.

It's October 1st.

I've been blasting this tune every October 1st for almost 20 years.

Happy October, y'all.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tom Green replied to me on twitter. #lifegoals

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Tom Green replied to me on twitter. #lifegoals

MY MAN.

Dude, I just can't get into the rhythm of Twitter. I DID have Lord Have Mercy from Flipmode Squad re-tweet something I tweeted.
    @allegro and thelastdisciple, give me some tips, or anyone else who cares to do so.

It seems like that's where all the discussion is happening

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    So it's been awhile since i had an update on my side hussle. A few months back i noted a few of my drawings went viral, around 3k likes on Twitter, which was awesome. Since then my followers have grown slowly and i started doing Commissions for extra cash which is going really well, and i'm getting much better at drawing. I decided to randomly get involved in the latest "meme" drawing challenge (this happens every few weeks) this time a character dressed in nothing but an apron (the internet is weird) and it exploded. Within a day that drawing has amassed almost 14,000 likes, and looking at the analytics over 250,000 people had seen it...which is insane! My follower count exploded as well and my DM's are now filled with people asking about commissions.

It's such a strange feeling having gone decades of teachers saying i have "no future in art" and friends saying "stop drawing and just be normal and come drinking" to seeing thousands of people loving what i'm doing. The internet is still a cluster fuck, but this has been a bright spot in a dim couple of years!
    Jeeze, those people around you were/are so… encouraging.

Happy for you!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Jeeze, those people around you were/are so… encouraging.

Happy for you!
    Yeah, i mean they weren't the worst people, but they were the only people after school that wanted to be friends with me, but we really didn't have anything in common. I spent a good 10 years trying to enjoy drinking/nights out/football and it made me so depressed. It wasn't until i made the move to move away and just cut ties that i started to find some happiness in myself and found how much joy i get from drawing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Yeah, i mean they weren't the worst people, but they were the only people after school that wanted to be friends with me, but we really didn't have anything in common. I spent a good 10 years trying to enjoy drinking/nights out/football and it made me so depressed. It wasn't until i made the move to move away and just cut ties that i started to find some happiness in myself and found how much joy i get from drawing.
    Where can we see your work?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Where can we see your work?
    Oh mainly on Twitter (https://twitter.com/haysey_draws) and Insta (https://www.instagram.com/haysey_draws) it's mainly anime stuff, comics and the odd film review.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Oh mainly on Twitter (https://twitter.com/haysey_draws) and Insta (https://www.instagram.com/haysey_draws) it's mainly anime stuff, comics and the odd film review.
    Awesome work!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Awesome work!
    Thank you kindly