Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Random score thoughts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    my man digging DEEP....post was made 487 weeks ago haha
    Not too difficult since he didn't post much on there.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Waxwork Records are still selling the deluxe Lost Highway soundtrack on splatter vinyl: https://waxworkrecords.com/collectio...s/lost-highway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not strictly related but Leopold Ross’ score for Monarch is great

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Not strictly related but Leopold Ross’ score for Monarch is great
    I was actually thinking while watching it how obvious it was that Atticus has shown him a thing or two. Felt very TR/AR-esque at times to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just finished watching The Bear with all of its NINE cues from Trent and Atticus (including two NIN tracks). That and Refused being the main leitmotif… it speaks to me cousin.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Imagine my utter lack of surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Random score thoughts

man it’s hard to stop awaiting/treating every new score as a whole artistic album. by now they’ve settled on their sound and it’s clear to me they have decided to focus less on every single detail and just get the scores done as they have more of them to do. they’re good and fine to put on but they lack the emotional depth and artistry to me.
    i keep hoping i’ll get wowed once again with every score but i guess dragon tattoo and gone girl just set the bar too high, sigh.

some thankfully hit the emotional spot though (flood, vietnam war, empire) and i’d say mank hits the artistic one.
    when i listen to them i enjoy them greatly, but when i just think of them they feel like less of an achievement i think
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 03-27-2024 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It feels that way to me, too, and I think in retrospect it started with Before the Flood - it's a good soundtrack album given the mixture of the three artists contributing to it, but it didn't feel as cohesive or "statement"-y as the first three scores did. I think at that point we started to get a split between the scores that come off more like jobs - Patriots Day, Bird Box, Empire of Light - and the ones that feel more like artistic statements or passion projects - Vietnam War, Watchmen, Waves, Mank, TMNT...you have stuff that falls in the middle for me, like mid90s, Soul, even The Killer despite it being a Fincher thing. I think another delineating factor is how much a score deviates from the typical TRAR soundtrack template - mid90s is a generally brighter, more optimistic sound to my ears, Waves is full-on ambient work, Watchmen and TMNT have some of that NIN drive to them, higher energy than the quiet, plodding tone of something like Bird Box or Vietnam War. The lines get blurry, and personal preference is a big factor in that, too.

I think the way I feel about it is that Mank was the last TRAR release where care was put into the packaging, how the music was presented to the audience, and even then it took two full years for that nicely-considered package to reach our hands. The last four scores have been unceremoniously dumped out onto Bandcamp, no Null numbers, no nothing. Reaching back to Ghosts V-VI, we got the free digital releases and nothing else (though that was much more understandable given the context of their releases). I think that makes it a lot harder to care about these scores as artistic packages when it feels like giving them to us is an afterthought. It makes me laugh a little every time I see that vinyl mission statement at the top of the web store now, when nothing that's been released in the last three-plus years has gotten any sort of physical release besides the HEALTH collab single and the super-late Mank box.

I'm not one of those guys that's trying to shine a flashlight through Trent's window demanding that he confirm for me that The Killer is Null 17 and that he and Atticus have five secret NIN albums in the can, but I just feel like even a barebones single-sleeve vinyl release of these soundtracks would be nice. Or even a gimmick cassette. Just something to make it feel like they matter a little is all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    According to their GQ interview (which was taken down for some reason), their next film scores will be for Luca Guadagnino's Queer and Scott Derrickson's The Gorge.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    the quiet, plodding tone of something like Bird Box or Vietnam War
    Huh? The full scores don't track with that description, certainly not the extended BB.

I also want to own more scores on vinyl (and Definitive Edition NIN reissues) but I can see why they don't really have the energy or time to see them through to completion given how fraught with complications physical record releases are now, even for artists on a major label let alone independent artists like TR&AR. It would be nice if the With Teeth company leads to a new production workflow that makes more physical music being possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With vinyl production, if you're not trying to having it available on release, how viable would it be to do batches of pre-orders for something? I've lost track now of how many soundtracks from them I don't own on vinyl as they just don't exist. Not to mention those NIN releases which have never been pressed or are only available for silly money on Discogs.

I'd be really interested to see what the logistics around this and the finances look like for an operation the size of NIN. I don't even know what the market looks like for NIN physical release now in terms of numbers.

So for reissues like Year Zero, there's a month-long preorder window where you pony up the cash on the understanding that you may not get it for 6 months or so (which isn't far from what happens with some new releases).

Same for the soundtracks, they're maybe not available on day one of release, but you preorder and that then gives them a guaranteed amount of money with which to order stock and they maybe add on 10% to have available for sale via the website?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I also want to own more scores on vinyl (and Definitive Edition NIN reissues) but I can see why they don't really have the energy or time to see them through to completion given how fraught with complications physical record releases are now, even for artists on a major label let alone independent artists like TR&AR. It would be nice if the With Teeth company leads to a new production workflow that makes more physical music being possible.
    I really wish this excuse (or better put, our collective presumed excuse in absence of any statement from TR) would stop being used as if there's any basis in reality. Sure, back in 2020 through 2022 (being generous there), there was a huge backlog of records waiting to be pressed. In 2024, that's not a valid excuse for not doing vinyl releases. Every other artist who wants to press vinyl manages to get it done, and TR is a smart, connected guy, so if he wanted it done, it would get done. There has to be some other reason, but presumably, they just don't care about it. And that's sad. I guess doing partnerships with other brands is more interesting to them these days.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's not their call. It's the film studios, and if a studio doesn't care about it, then that's their decision. Trent and Atticus may want to put everything they've done as composers out on vinyl, but if the studio doesn't want to foot the bill, then their hands are tied. Vinyl is cool, but it's also a niche product, no matter how much its grown in popularity in recent years. If a studio doesn't think they're going to make a nice profit off of it, it's not going to happen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Why does everything have to be vinyl now? The music is available, why not simply enjoy it as it is?
    so many soundtracks don’t even get a release, all of theirs is out, it’s all good!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    With vinyl production, if you're not trying to having it available on release, how viable would it be to do batches of pre-orders for something?

They have thankfully avoided the whole pre-order issue when they’ve previously sold vinyl. With Teeth and then The Social Network/Quake were all shipped quickly after ordering. They’re in a position to be able to foot the bill on manufacturing, whereas some smaller labels and artists selling on Bandcamp don’t have that luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's not their call. It's the film studios, and if a studio doesn't care about it, then that's their decision. Trent and Atticus may want to put everything they've done as composers out on vinyl, but if the studio doesn't want to foot the bill, then their hands are tied. Vinyl is cool, but it's also a niche product, no matter how much its grown in popularity in recent years. If a studio doesn't think they're going to make a nice profit off of it, it's not going to happen.

I don’t think that is necessarily the case when it comes to TR/AR scores. They could have it in their contracts that releases shall receive a digital and physical release. I have to imagine something like Bird Box wouldn’t have received as nice of a release as it did unless TR/AR made it happen, not the studio. And Bird Box was a music they apparently didn't even like working on. I think TR/AR have more of a say over it than the film studios, that’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Why does everything have to be vinyl now? The music is available, why not simply enjoy it as it is? so many soundtracks don’t even get a release, all of theirs is out, it’s all good!

It doesn’t have to be released on vinyl, I’d settle for CD’s. As a collector, I just like having music on a physical format. As much as streaming and digital downloads has become the norm, I guess I’m just old school. My initial post was in response to @botley saying the same thing, a hope that they’d get back to doing more physical releases of their music.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This circular discussion has been going on for a while now...and as much as I'd love to have everything possible available in whatever format everyone chooses to consume...planning, manufacturing, releasing vinyl / cds / physical takes bandwidth from other things. And let's not kid ourselves, a vinyl release of a movie score is not going to sell like gangbusters. So if they have the leeway written into their contracts (which may or may not be true) putting in the work to get that done right just might not be worth it when they've got so much other shit on the plate. Sure, they could do it out-of-house but we know how TR likes to keep things in-house to ensure everything is done right.

One exception comes to mind: the new design outfit Mutant, newly formed from the Mondo people. They've started to release some vinyl and I think that could be an option for them to entrust some seriously talented and detail-oriented people to take on a physical presentation project while they do whatever else they have going on.
    Last edited by cdm; 04-15-2024 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I think TR/AR have more of a say over it than the film studios, that’s all.
    They don't. At the end of the day, the music is the property of the studio, and they have the final say as to what is done with it. Obviously they seem to have a good relationship with Netflix as far as letting them put out nice vinyl versions of Bird Box and Mank, but that's not going to be the case with every studio and every project they work on. Trent and Atticus can plead their case, but it always comes down to dollars and cents, and if a studio doesn't think something is going to turn enough of a profit, they're not going to put the time and effort into it. It's much cheaper and less time consuming to put them out digitally, especially since that's how the majority of music is consumed these days.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    One exception comes to mind: the new design outfit Mutant, newly formed from the Mondo people. They've started to release some vinyl and I think that could be an option for them to entrust some seriously talented and detail-oriented people to take on a physical presentation project while they do whatever else they have going on.
    I had heard about what Spencer and Mo were doing since leaving Mondo after the Funko buyout, but hadn't checked it out yet. That does look cool, though I have to admit, another company doing vinyl and posters in an already crowded field seems risky. Anyway, back to the point, it would be cool to see some of these scores released by companies like Mutant, I don't see TR/AR handing over creative control on something like that to another company. Then again, they're doing a lot of collaborations in other areas, so who knows. While I've complained about limited releases before, if they did limited runs of some scores, they could probably sell them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be quite happy to get CD copies of the soundtracks if vinyl isn't possible. As much as I love steaming, there's something nice about having a physical thing to play, read the liner notes etc. Not to mention you own a copy if you can't get online or when things drop off streaming platforms.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The digital release of Boys Noize's [MIXED] score for Challengers is being handled by Sony/Milan Records, who often do bespoke soundtrack album releases with cool vinyl variations. So I have some hope that the vinyl drought is ending...

Also, @trollmanen , I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the complications from the pandemic-related pressing backlog have vanished completely. Indie artists of my acquaintance are still having to endure insultingly-long lead times, warehousing issues, exorbitant upfront costs, and endless QC issues getting their shit pressed on vinyl.

I still think it would be fun to do period-appropriate cassette releases for the scores to movies set in their heyday like mid90s, Empire of Light, and Bones and All.
    Last edited by botley; 04-16-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm not in the business, so my thoughts are merely speculative based on what I've seen the last few years with artists I follow. With vinyl still being very popular, I'm sure there are still issues to overcome, from supply chain to QC, which has always been an issue. It's just frustrating as a fan, especially with something like the DE reissues of Year Zero and The Slip as to why they haven't happened after SOOOO MANY YEARS. With there seemingly being less emphasis on physical release of score work, it seems that it's just not a priority. Which, fair enough, streaming is basically the norm now. I just miss physical products is all. I'm sure there are many factors going into their thought process.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    This circular discussion
    Pun not intended? lol

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pulled this from the Challengers thread to not clog that up with my ranting...

Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    Milan Records responded to me directly and said they are working on both a CD, and Vinyl release!
    Excited for this but geeez does it really frustrate me that of course the new Zendaya move soundtrack gets a vinyl release. I still do not understand why there is such a gap in the TR/AR score release catalog on vinyl. Yes, I know COVID hit pressing plants and distribution hard but...thats over and done with. Pressing plants are thriving and are back to 6-8 week turnaround times. Also, we got a repress of TSN during this time period. So what's the reasoning for either labels or even TR's team not revisiting the ones that are missing?

• Patriots Day (this was pre-covid...also, still listed on the nin.com store as coming soon)
    • Waves (if I had to pick only ONE to be released on vinyl on this list, it's this)

(note: in between these we got Mank and Soul -- Soul vinyl release makes sense [cough Disney] -- but Mank is a very niche score, A. Fincher passion project B. no theatrical release [right?] C. is 1930's big band/film noir style and not traditional/"what TR&AR were known for" up to this point -- if I am not mistaken, Trent's team released this one.

• Bones and All (Luca... maybe after Challengers, this will see the light of day)
    • Empire of Light (I guess the lack of success with the film yields no vinyl release?)
    • TMNT (don't even get me started...even MY KIDS are wanting a vinyl for dad to throw on the turntable for this one. Successful, wide audience, huge franchise...what happened?)
    • The Killer (ok... soooo we release Mank...Fincher? check. Netflix? check. TR/AR? check....so why did this one get ghosted?)

Which brings us to today, Challengers getting a vinyl release. I am curious if it was an unknown actress and not one of the biggest GenZ stars out there, if it would still be getting this much hype and subsequent vinyl release. This is NO offense towards Zendaya (she's great) or the score (I LOVE it)...I am just really bummed that we're missing so many great ones. Yes, I have Spotify to listen to them but but but... lol. I want my physical copies. haha

I'm sure some of you will have strong rebuttals on why I am being a cry baby and other reasons, but come on... let a poor ole guy rant a little hahaha. cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Random score thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Pulled this from the Challengers thread to not clog that up with my ranting...

Excited for this but geeez does it really frustrate me that of course the new Zendaya move soundtrack gets a vinyl release. I still do not understand why there is such a gap in the TR/AR score release catalog on vinyl. Yes, I know COVID hit pressing plants and distribution hard but...thats over and done with. Pressing plants are thriving and are back to 6-8 week turnaround times. Also, we got a repress of TSN during this time period. So what's the reasoning for either labels or even TR's team not revisiting the ones that are missing?

• Patriots Day (this was pre-covid...also, still listed on the nin.com store as coming soon)
    • Waves (if I had to pick only ONE to be released on vinyl on this list, it's this)

(note: in between these we got Mank and Soul -- Soul vinyl release makes sense [cough Disney] -- but Mank is a very niche score, A. Fincher passion project B. no theatrical release [right?] C. is 1930's big band/film noir style and not traditional/"what TR&AR were known for" up to this point -- if I am not mistaken, Trent's team released this one.

• Bones and All (Luca... maybe after Challengers, this will see the light of day)
    • Empire of Light (I guess the lack of success with the film yields no vinyl release?)
    • TMNT (don't even get me started...even MY KIDS are wanting a vinyl for dad to throw on the turntable for this one. Successful, wide audience, huge franchise...what happened?)
    • The Killer (ok... soooo we release Mank...Fincher? check. Netflix? check. TR/AR? check....so why did this one get ghosted?)

Which brings us to today, Challengers getting a vinyl release. I am curious if it was an unknown actress and not one of the biggest GenZ stars out there, if it would still be getting this much hype and subsequent vinyl release. This is NO offense towards Zendaya (she's great) or the score (I LOVE it)...I am just really bummed that we're missing so many great ones. Yes, I have Spotify to listen to them but but but... lol. I want my physical copies. haha

I'm sure some of you will have strong rebuttals on why I am being a cry baby and other reasons, but come on... let a poor ole guy rant a little hahaha. cheers
    it looks like they’re bothering to release only something they have a cool idea for (mank, bird box, watchmen) or whenever the studio itself wants a release (challengers, soul)

which i think is reasonable nowadays

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    it looks like they’re bothering to release only something they have a cool idea for (mank, bird box, watchmen) or whenever the studio itself wants a release (challengers, soul)

which i think is reasonable nowadays
    Makes me sad.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd be shocked if Patriot's Day got any sort of release now. They famously hated working on the project, or at least clashed with the director and perhaps others. I know they were at least planning it since it was "coming soon" on the store, but after 8 years, it just seems like it's time has passed, there would definitely be no interest in it now aside from hardcore fans.

As far as the rest, digital only is probably the best we're getting. That's probably one reason these FYC and other promo CD's of the score go for so much, as it's likely the only physical release it's going to have.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    They famously hated working on the project, or at least clashed with the director and perhaps others.
    But see they HATED working with the Bird Box team... and that got a very nice vinyl boxset release.

I never got the impression that they clashed with Peter Berg, he is a huge TR fan. I can see them not liking working on a Hollywood-type movie like that but still not a reason to not release the album. That said, you make a valid point about it being 8 years...likely dead in the water. bummer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    But see they HATED working with the Bird Box team... and that got a very nice vinyl boxset release.

I never got the impression that they clashed with Peter Berg, he is a huge TR fan. I can see them not liking working on a Hollywood-type movie like that but still not a reason to not release the album. That said, you make a valid point about it being 8 years...likely dead in the water. bummer
    The key difference being I guess is that they were proud of the work they did for Bird Box,no matter how shit the film was. And BB on top of being shit also used music poorly. Patriots Day at the end of the day doesn't bury and misuse the score. There's no hidden potential behind Patriots Day,it is what it is.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There are two things at work, one is the films themselves and Hollywood/music industry horse-trading, the other is where they are at with preparing other work. These guys don't just do one score at a time and move on, there are always irons in the fire and that includes preparing and/or supervising the physical media production themselves. Yes, the lavish ("self-indulgent" I believe is what it was called on nin.com) box set release of the Bird Box extended score was not just about how proud they were of the work, but also about a composers-approved alternative to the actual film soundtrack, which was pretty shabby in terms of music being sidelined in the mix. I think it's great. People on this board were saying it would never see the light of day and yet it did make it out there, eventually even going on sale at places like Merchbar. That said, I don't think they'd have been able to do that if the film had been a flop and crappy or not, it was a viral hit.

Patriots Day is sometimes shown on cable TV but is otherwise largely forgotten nowadays, so the vinyl release is probably not ever happening even if they had already signed off on test pressings and approved the artwork (which from the mock-up photo looked like it might have been a special embossed or die-cut sleeve). I agree that the TMNT score is deserving of one, and hopefully will get a cool physical release someday.

Personally, I would like to see a NullCo Blu-ray scores box set, with everything mixed in Dolby Atmos.
    Last edited by botley; Yesterday at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Personally, I would like to see a NullCo Blu-ray scores box set, with everything mixed in Dolby Atmos.
    That would be interesting, and they certainly have enough work to make something like that, but they would probably run into the same issues they have with physical releases of individual scores; a bunch of different music studios and rights holders.

The whole hi-res/surround/Dolby Atmos thing seems to be so fragmented that it's hard to see them doing anything physical with it. In terms of people who really care about hi-res audio, it's a niche audience compared to music consumption as a whole. And then looking at those who do listen to it, how do they comsume it? Stream from another device, Blu-ray, etc. Surround mixes seem to be a thing of the past, it doesn't seem like there's a big market for that.* They did an Atmos mix of The Social Network a few years back, but I don't even know where you can find that.

*I'd still love to get the one they supposedly did for The Fragile, and would gladly buy a setup to play it.