Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Killer (2023)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Although probably not one I will revisit as much as others, in some ways this is a perfect score. It doesn’t draw attention to itself and works as sound design/pure atmosphere, a perfect compliment to the film. The production especially is fantastic. It is note-worthy that 2-time Oscar winning, big name composers are more concerned with serving the film by preparing a more ambient score than something that is more ‘in your face’ or traditionally them. Brilliant work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think I’m likely to relisten to this more than “bones and all”

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Also, very minor spoiler, but the phrase "nine inch nails" is actually spoken in the movie.
    UPDATE: It appears to be “nine *gauge* nails.” Someone get on making those t-shirts!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I think I’m likely to relisten to this more than “bones and all”
    Same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This one is probably only gonna get better on repeat. Subtle and very fitting of the film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I read through the whole thread to see if this had been caught, but it seems not:

The track "Consequences Are Automatic" reuses a lot of the samples/drones from the NIN track "The Cursed Clock". It almost sounds like a rethink of the track as much as "A Familiar Taste" was of "35 Ghosts IV"

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    I read through the whole thread to see if this had been caught, but it seems not:

The track "Consequences Are Automatic" reuses a lot of the samples/drones from the NIN track "The Cursed Clock". It almost sounds like a rethink of the track as much as "A Familiar Taste" was of "35 Ghosts IV"
    Ah yeah, I noticed there was a similarity to one of their other instrumental tracks but didn't dig around to see what it was. Good call!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Loved the movie, watched a few times since the Netflix release -- LOVE Tilda Swinton in this. And the score has been on repeat as well. Good stuff all around.

Now...

V I N Y L R E L E A S E P L E A S E

(edit):

Also, is it safe to say that neither this nor Mank will get physical blu-ray/4k releases?
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 11-22-2023 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Also, is it safe to say that neither this nor Mank will get physical blu-ray/4k releases?
    Criterion released blu-ray and dvd versions of The Irishman so not all hope is lost...but that may be our only chance unless Netflix rethinks their strategy. A physical release does kind of undercut their whole business model, so who knows.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I read recently that the main reason Mike Flannigan cut ties with Netflix was because they refused to release physical versions of his shows, so I wouldn't count on it. Scorsese may be an exception because he's Scorsese.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I read recently that the main reason Mike Flannigan cut ties with Netflix was because they refused to release physical versions of his shows, so I wouldn't count on it. Scorsese may be an exception because he's Scorsese.
    Netflix is weird with their bluray releases. Stranger things 1 and 2 get releases, but not 3 and 4. Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor get releases, but not Flannigan's other shows. Wednesday just got announced for a release. Disney is releasing their streaming stuff to disc now, so maybe the good word of mouth on those will cause Netflix to loosen their grip a little.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    The Killer FYC is available now. No WAVs this year, just MP3s:
    https://film.netflixawards.com/the-killer
    https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...omment=1994359

I haven't compared it yet, but it looks different from the OST album.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Haven't listened to all the tracks, but the Brute tracks have the film audio removed from them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone else played the (excellent) game Inscryption? Some of the dub sounds throughout the soundtrack, especially in songs like "Rolodex" and "Fight", remind me of Leshy's "voice" in the game
    Last edited by Paul; 11-29-2023 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Has anyone else played the (excellent) game Inscryption? Some of the dub sounds throughout the soundtrack, especially in songs like "Rolodex" and "Fight", remind me of Leshy's "voice" in the game
    I have! Didn't make that connection, though!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I watched the movie on Netflix last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. The ending caught me off guard but I appreciated it after I thought about it some more, by design I suppose. Regarding the score I thought it was buried in the mix, at least that's how I experienced it without a surround system...does it stand out more in the 5.1 mix? Overall, decent film and I'll probably re-watch but I don't see it winning any awards.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Regarding the score I thought it was buried in the mix, at least that's how I experienced it without a surround system...does it stand out more in the 5.1 mix?
    I'd say so, yeah.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I don't think Netflix is streaming a stereo version (in English anyway), the version you're hearing is the 5.1 mix folded down, however your TV or sound bar does that... possibly imperfectly.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'd say so, yeah.
    I agree with this. Although I caught snippets of the soundtrack, the Smiths playing constantly throughout the movie was more front of mind in terms of music. Generally, I can tell a TR/AR score but if I were to go in not knowing they scored this, I probably would not have noticed. The movie was good but not Fincher's best by any stretch. Definitely worth watching but you won't come out of the movie saying "what a masterpiece"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    The Killer FYC is available now. No WAVs this year, just MP3s:
    https://film.netflixawards.com/the-killer
    https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...omment=1994359

I haven't compared it yet, but it looks different from the OST album.
    did you do it yet? any differences that make it worth ripping this whole version? (or at least extras)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    did you do it yet? any differences that make it worth ripping this whole version? (or at least extras)
    I haven't. There are definitely differences though, so if you collect/keep track of those kinds of things, you'll want to download this version.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I haven't. There are definitely differences though, so if you collect/keep track of those kinds of things, you'll want to download this version.
    I guess I'm not that much of a completist. From the entire collection of FYIs that were available, I only kept In Evidence and Dinner With Sean from Social Network. Nothing else.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I guess I'm not that much of a completist. From the entire collection of FYIs that were available, I only kept In Evidence and Dinner With Sean from Social Network. Nothing else.
    Ah, yes, if you're mostly interested from a musical perspective, the soundtrack albums are better bet. Trent and Atticus seem to put a lot of care in assembling the released albums, to make sure that they present a coherent experience as a musical album. The FYC's (usually) represent the score as it has been assembled in service of the picture, and while that may be good for the movie, it doesn't necessarily make for the best music listening experience. On a technical note, it seems like a lot of the FYC's have been assembled by studio personnel, as there have been errors and mastering problems with some of them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Surprised no one posted this yet. Ren Klyce talks about the score a bit starting at 6:35.