Thread: Dark Souls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm not passing any judgments yet... but I feel the same way about the general progression. I have NO idea where the hell to go.

Also, I always enjoyed the level of challenge in the previous games, but in this one? It's just frustrating for the most part so far. The combat also feels much more "wait for the guy to swing a certain amount of times, then dash in and slash him before retreating" repetition to it...

I'm hoping I warm up to this.

I generally have as many as 4 "walls" that I can go check out if I get stuck somewhere, and then see if any of them will finally give. This morning I realized that the covenant I joined ramps the difficultyof the game! and they don't tell you that... I also realized that I had essentially skipped a very large portion of the early game and basically had completed some portion in the middle. also missed a few key bonfires and bosses along the way. It is very, VERY easy to just miss crucial things.

That's the part I like less about this game. Entire chunks of the game are hidden behind bullshit walls and obscure cliff faces. There is also some kind of discrepency in atmosphere that I don't like as much. Ultimately it is a much easier game so far but finding out where to go and what to do.... I mean I get it, we're supposed to communicate with each other to get things done, but it's fucking ridiculous sometimes. I couldn't get the network on for a few hours today, so who knows what little orange text I DIDN'T see...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yes exactly! There are so many hidden paths and walls (by the way to open a hidden wall just tap x or a on your controller) that my own orientation gets messed up.
    Then there is the Pharos Stones that may open a hidden path/wall/ or just doesn't do a damn thing. You are risking a stone every time you use one (which is very hard to come by). Its a gamble and its an element to the game I don't like.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    by the way to open a hidden wall just tap x or a on your controller
    ugh, really?!

I'm starting to get the feeling that the only way to play and enjoy this one is with a complete wiki guide by your side.

With the previous games, it was really great to go collecting and hunting down all the hidden crazy stuff in New Game + with a guide, but this? It just feels... irritating to try to figure it out yourself, but if you just go exploring, chances are you're going to find yourself lost, screwed, and frustrated

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah you have no idea how many times i whacked at a wall trying to open a hidden door while i had read a message saying it was a hidden wall. At first i though the message was just a trolling message but i summoned someone for help clearing the area to get to the boss and i led him there and he sent me a pm telling me just to tap x to open the hidden wall.
    Also black firebombs can open certain hidden paths if the wall or path looks cracked.