Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I'm just going to pretend this doesn't exist and go to my happy place.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is being turned into a movie again.
    Why? Do you know anything particular that dooms it? It could be good. It's a solid story, it all depends on how it will be treated. Shirley we can hope?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I can't see that book being properly adapted to a film. Maybe a mini-series. There's just too much there. I know that's what adaptations are, and the movie is never as good as the book, but still. I doubt it will even come close.

That being said, I'm not entirely pessimistic. It could be good. It'll be interesting to see an updated version.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    First look at David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis. NSFW

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That looks fucking cool!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Whoa! Did Cronenberg make a good film with Pattinson? I mean, Goblet of Fire was okay, but it's nice to see him take on more serious roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That looks much more interesting/Cronenbergery than the Sigmund Freud one from last year. Count me excited/intrigued!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ANyone here watch Luther starring Idris Elba?

It was recommended by a friend.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    ANyone here watch Luther starring Idris Elba?

It was recommended by a friend.
    Yup. In my opinion it's been hit-and-miss, but the two double-lengthers which comprised the second season were a great watch. Some of the narrative points stretch credulity, but the show's carried by its performances... well, one performance really. Idris Elba is the ideal lead, he combines a hulking, charismatic physical presence with sensitivity and a knack of absolutely nailing emotional tone. We already knew that from The Wire, but yeah, he's amazing.

Personally I found it more watchable than Sherlock, especially during the second season, in which the long-episode format suited that show nowhere near as well as Luther (largely thanks to the latter's stories being more easily followable).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrismonkey View Post
    That looks much more interesting/Cronenbergery than the Sigmund Freud one from last year.
    Anything was better than that one.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Anything was better than that one.
    Except for M. Butterfly. That was an OK film.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Except for M. Butterfly. That was an OK film.
    I've blocked parts of that one from my brain. That movie felt like it was 3 hrs long. Still, I think I liked it more than A Dangerous Method. Looking forward to this new one though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I cant fucking stand Robert Pattinson ( he is not even that good looking) but that Cronenberg film does indeed look brilliant.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I read about that yesterday. I'm so going to see this.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh man, this could go sour really easy. It's hard to follow up a movie like that, especially after this long (I know, I know, it's not like its been decades). On the plus side, Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell have signed on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

teaser for the total recall reboot

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Oh man, this could go sour really easy. It's hard to follow up a movie like that, especially after this long (I know, I know, it's not like its been decades). On the plus side, Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell have signed on.
    Yeah, I mean, I'd be happy if it were good. Not even great. If it were great, then that would be awesome, but I'm not expecting it to top the first one or anything. Just a good follow up would be nice.

And yeah, the entire cast coming back is a great thing. Especially Paul Rudd, who can do almost no wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    I've blocked parts of that one from my brain. That movie felt like it was 3 hrs long. Still, I think I liked it more than A Dangerous Method. Looking forward to this new one though!
    I'm not sure if I even made it through that one. I know I started it, I know I saw a chunk of it, and I know I was bored out of my mind. I have a feeling I started fast forwarding at some point.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ashton Kutcher is going to play Steve Jobs

Seriously. They've confirmed this is not an April Fools' joke.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Ashton Kutcher is going to play Steve Jobs

Seriously. They've confirmed this is not an April Fools' joke.
    Oh, goddamnit! I wish it was an April Fool's joke.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Sorry but I don't think that's a good idea. Let's be honest here, the Farrelly Brothers hasn't made a very watchable movie since Me, Myself, & Irene and The Three Stooges looks like it will be their nadir. Still, I don't know how they could top The Heartbreak Kid which was truly one of the worst movies I had ever seen.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I can't say their movies are bad now only because I haven't seen them (I completely lost interest in them after Me, Myself and Irene). I honestly don't think I've seen a single one of their movies in the past twelve years or so. And nothing they've done has looked even remotely watchable (let alone good) in that time and all their movies since then have almost universally been panned, so it seems like they just suck now.

That being said...Dumb and Dumber is one of my top five favorite movies, and it holds a special place for me because I've loved it since it first came out (when I was eleven) and it's become a sort of idolized movie for my best friend and I. So I'm sure all of that is kind of clouding my judgment a bit, but I really am excited to see this. I'm hoping maybe they can pull it together for this one. I don't even expect it to be great or as good as the first one; if they can just pull off good I'll be more than happy. If they manage to pull off great then I'll be over the moon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is unbelievable. I've always wanted a true Dumb and Dumber sequel. Take this however you want, but this is the only comedy sequel I would want more than Bill & Ted 3 (which does have a script apparently).

I'm with theruiner here - the original is my one of my top comedies ever (at least top 3), and despite the brothers not doing anything good a long time, it's impossible for me not to be excited about this. I think the first Dumb and Dumber is unquestionably the Farrellys' best film (which has their best character leads), so the fact that they wanted to do it, Jeff Daniels wanted to do it, and of course Jim Carrey now wants to do it, is more than enough to convince me that this will be a worthwhile venture. The interest of those 3 parties is essential, and it's there.

I've dreamt of this day. Jim Carrey has changed so much since the first one that it's hard to remember how fucking brilliant he is in it. On par with his performance in Eternal Sunshine. Daniels is no slouch either obviously, especially considering how great a dramatic actor he is. Those 2 together again, as Harry and Lloyd, is just amazing... to say the least.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    In other Jeff Daniels-related news, here's the first peek at The Newsroom, Aaron Sorkin's first project with HBO

Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    saw that before Game of Thrones yesterday. Looks really good.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Aaron Sorkin and HBO? Consider me very fukken interested

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thought this was pretty funny.