Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Grunge thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feel like shit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Grunge music reminds me of being an angry teenager. How can you not like distorted guitars, big-muff tones, soft-loud dynamics, hopelessly depressed front-men, flannel, sweat, long-hair, and "lite" moshing? Bands like Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, Tad, and Sonic Youth created the template for this "genre" and albums like Nevermind/Ten/Dirt/Superunknown took it into the mainstream. I am a sucker for these bands and even enjoyed a lot of the post-grunge stuff (until Creed ruined everything). Albums like "Wax Ecstatic", "Razorblade Suitcase", "Live Through This", and "American Thighs" all still get spins on my iPod.

Watching some of the bands that were unfairly "categorized" as grunge mature into great artists was exciting too. Lest we not forget what people said about "Pablo Honey" when it came out. 6 years later, Thom Yorke was signing "Idioteque" on SNL. Silverchair sounded like a local garage band on "Frogstomp", yet a scant 4 years later they were writing/arranging songs like "Emotion Sickness". Even STP's transformation from "Core" to "Tiny Music" was pretty awesome. To me, no other sub-genre of music has better embodied the spirit of an age than those 1992-1996 grunge bands. Just watching a video like "Even Flow" brings me back to the sights, sounds, and smells of my neighborhood head shop (where one could by pipes, bootlegs, posters, t-shirts, and whip-its). That has to count for something...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I have a great deal of affection for this style and period of music. It was the sound of my teens. Pearl Jam is still my third favorite band and I used to also love AIC, Nirvana, etc. I still love Superunknown and Down On The Upside by Soundgarden and the Temple Of The Dog and Mad Season albums. On the subject of the quasi-grunge bands, I also love Purple and Tiny Music... by Stone Temple Pilots (the first and fourth albums are also not bad), I liked Live back before Ed Kowalczyk became a douchebag and I even liked Bush for a little while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually liked Bush's The Sound of Winter. I don't know what that says lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've always had a soft spot for The Toadies

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    are the Toadies grunge though? just always saw them as a straight rock n roll band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've always considered them post-grunge.
    Dark lyrics, a little distortion, what ever.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Top ten "grunge" related albums? Trying to avoid repeating the same bands.

10. Foo Fighters- Colour and Shape
    9. Bush- Sixteen Stone
    8. Screaming Trees- Sweet Oblivion
    7. Mudhoney- March to Fuzz
    6. Stone Temple Pilots- Purple
    5. Singles Soundtrack
    4. Pearl Jam- Ten
    3. Alice In Chains- Dirt
    2. Nirvana- Nevermind
    1. Soundgarden- Superunknown

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    First five are in order, the rest are indeterminate.

1. Pearl Jam - Ten
    2. Soundgarden - Superunknown
    3. Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    4. Mad Season - Above
    5. Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies (technically an EP, but basically an album)

Screaming Trees - Dust
    Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles
    Temple of The Dog - S/T
    Nirvana - In Utero
    Mark Lanegan - Whiskey For The Holy Ghost (not sure if that one counts)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Mudhoney are on tour. Got my Boston tix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, since you're gonna bump this thread, I was thinking about this grunge jam the other day:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Paw, local boys done good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Grunge. If ever there was a style of music where the 'canon' is the only necessary collection, grunge is that music. Kill every creation after the first generation.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Grunge. If ever there was a style of music where the 'canon' is the only necessary collection, grunge is that music. Kill every creation after the first generation.
    Saw Bush last week and they rocked. I like some post-grunge bands--Bush, Silvechair, early Creed, early Collective Soul, etc.

RE: Alice In Chains. They are considered grunge by many, but really they were/are more metal or guitar rock. They had more in common with Van Halen, whom they toured with, than a band like Nirvana or Soundgarden. Jerry's solo work is also awesome.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-28-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Paw, local boys done good.
    "Paw" was an awesome "forgotten" band, i've always considered them even "grungier" than Alice In Chians (a band i love but i consider more metal than grunge).
    "Dragline" in an awesome album, "Death to traitors" is good, i think they have another one but i've never heard it...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Again, not really "grunge," but one of my favorite AIC songs:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^I own "Music bank" by them and you can tel that in the eraly days AIC's influences were more hard rock (like some "dark" Gun's N' Roses).
    This song clearly shows this hard rock vibe along with some tracks from "Facelift".
    From the early demos this one is my favorite:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love Alice In Chains, but yeah, much more hard rock (Van Halen, GN'R) than "grunge" sounding. To me, this is grunge:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Mudhoney is a great band, never got the recognition they deserved and yes they are "balls to the wal"l grunge, lol
    If you look at the "big 4" of grunge (Nirvana, AiC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam), you can see that they all had very different backgrounds; Nirvana was more a Punk/alternative kind of band, Pearl Jam came from The Who, Neil Young and other classic rock roots, Soundgarden had a hard rock and even post punk background and AiC that were more hard rock and heavy metal oriented...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-28-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Soundgarden and AIC are the only grunge bands I'd consider Metal tbh. I like grunge, but not a lot of it is really metallic, and those two are the only ones which I can confidently consider Metal.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Mudhoney is a great band, never got the recognition they deserved and yes they are ball to the wall grunge, lol
    If you look at the "big 4" of grunge (Nirvana, AiC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam), you can see that they all had very different backrounds; Nirvana was more a Punk/alternative kind of band, Pearl Jam came from The Who, Neil Young and other classic rock roots, Soundgarden had a hard rock and even post punk background and AiC that were more hard rock and heavy metal oriented...
    Mudhoney never had "the hit," that one cross-over song, and that's not really a bad thing. Saw them twice and they rocked, great shows. Looking forward to the July show.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Mudhoney never had "the hit," that one cross-over song, and that's not really a bad thing. Saw them twice and they rocked, great shows. Looking forward to the July show.
    They played last year here in Mexico and i missed them, i deserve to get my ass kicked for it...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Paw was big news around here, the Kansas City, Missouri & Lawrence, Kansas music communities. Every two or three years one band 'gets signed.' Right now it's Radkey, in the mid 90's: Paw. I saw 'em cover Nirvana's 'School' at the River Market. Best song of the set. Lesser news: my high school's grunge band named themselves Dragline.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Dragline" is a great underrated album, love it from top to bottom; "Gasoline", "Jessie", "Couldn't Know", "The Bridge" and "Lolita" are my favorites...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Dam that river by AIC could be an appetite era GNR song, easily. But I think grunge is one of those things where you can tick some boxes and leave some empty and still count.

So early SP, Nirvana, AIC and so on could arguably be considered not grunge & slot pretty well into other genres, but for me they have that vibe.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    To what extent are the Melvins considered grunge? I guess they were quite influental and I always get a "grungy" feeling listening to earlier records, but I don't know where to actually pinpoint them...

Either way, I was too young to fully grasp that movement, but listening back my favorite bands are Soundgarden, AIC to some extent, Stone Temple Pilots and Screaming Trees. I like Pearl Jam, like I enjoy Nirvana, but those are not essentially my favorite bands. Other than that, I do enjoy early Bush and Silverchair is fairly underrated band imho, at least in Europe.

For the past few days (especially after having seen Lanegan pull out some Screaming Trees on his last concerts I've seen him do this year) I've been listening to the Screaming Trees heavily and this is one of my most favorite songs:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    To what extent are the Melvins considered grunge? I guess they were quite influental and I always get a "grungy" feeling listening to earlier records, but I don't know where to actually pinpoint them...
    I think the Melvins are more in the sludge-metal, experimental rock side of things, i would never call them "grunge" yet i would put the Melvins along with bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies, R.E.M. and Dinosaur JR. as groups that influenced Grunge's sound, lyrics and attitude...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Mudhoney tonight for the third time, and man they rocked. I don't think Mark Arm sounds any different now than he sounded 25 years ago. I can't believe Mark Arm is 53!
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-12-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw Mark Lanegan tonight in Boston, awesome show. It was just Mark and his guitar player, mostly acoustic stuff. Last time I saw him he played with a whole band. A few ST songs, but mostly solo and some covers. He played "You Only Live Twice" and "Mack the Knife," which was great to hear. The Brighten Music Hall is small, maybe a 400 seat venue, and I was may 15 feet from the stage. And my God, can that man sing!
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-21-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)