Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    While I'm glad to see they haven't given up on the Ziggy era, this release has cash grab written all over it. The cover is terrible, and it looks like one of the many fan created bootleg pressings from recent years. Since they're not coming out and explicitly saying these are different mixes, it seems like this release is just taking tracks that are already available on the Five Years box set and creating a new running order for a vinyl release. I'm a huge Bowie fan, and am really hopeful that they can treat this period right and release a stellar boxset sometime this year. The boxsets for Space Oddity and Hunky Dory are great packages even though they could have included material that is present elsewhere to have a more cohesive release. Starting out with this reminds me of 2019 when they created all these elaborate boxsets for various sessions of Space Oddity material only to include it all in the final boxset. Sadly, I think I'll skip this one.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Since they're not coming out and explicitly saying these are different mixes, it seems like this release is just taking tracks that are already available on the Five Years box set and creating a new running order for a vinyl release.
    It's not a newly created running order, it's literally the same as what Bowie and Ken Scott prepared in late '71/early '72 as a proposed running order before the album was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I'm a huge Bowie fan, and am really hopeful that they can treat this period right and release a stellar boxset sometime this year.
    All indications are that this is indeed coming later in the year.
    Last edited by botley; 01-08-2024 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's not a newly created running order, it's literally the same as what Bowie and Ken Scott prepared in late '71/early '72 as a proposed running order before the album was finished.
    I'm aware, but my point still stands that it's not new music in that it's not even alternate mixes or takes, which would have made it much more interesting sort of like what they did with the Divine Symmetry release. It's just repackaging music that, let's be honest, anyone interested in this release probably already has. True, it gives a wider release for these b-sides, and yes, it's historically accurate to something created at the time, but it just seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe I could give them a pass if it didn't look so bad. The inner sleeve looks cool, but that cover is just lazy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    All indications are that this is indeed coming later in the year.
    With this release, it certainly seems so. It's just very strange that they didn't keep up with the 50th anniversary releases and are a bit late on this one.
    Last edited by trollmanen; 01-08-2024 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Still no Tin Machine box? zzzzz....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Still no Tin Machine box? zzzzz....
    From all I've read, it seems like it's one of the Sales brothers that held that up, apparently wanting more money. The first Tin Machine album was funded entirely by Bowie and he held all the rights to it. When it was last reissued in 1999 by EMI, it was credited as being an album titled Tin Machine by David Bowie, at least on the spine, which maybe was just to fit with the rest of the reissues. Apparently Tin Machine II was a collective partnership with each member owning 25%, and I'm guessing the same applies to the Oy Vey Baby live album too. TM II was reissued on vinyl a few years back, but not the live album, and given that those albums were on a now defunct label, I'm not sure where the rights are now. I'm thinking Parlophone, and now Warner, don't hold the rights to TM II, or at least they didn't until recently. Tin Machine hasn't seen any remastering since 1999 and all the reissues through 2015 use the same 1999 audio. Bowie's label did digitally release the truncated Paris 1989 live release back in 2019. And of course there is lots of bootlegged material that is out there that could end up on a box set. So it's not for lack of material, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if we'll get the demos he supposedly recorded after Blackstar at some point.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I wonder if we'll get the demos he supposedly recorded after Blackstar at some point.
    Would love a deluxe version of "Blackstar".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I doubt it. Tony and Donny have only mentioned that Bowie referenced working on some demos via emails. From all I've read, he didn't share them with anyone. I seem to recall Tony being asked about it and basically shooting down the idea they would be released. Not that Tony is in control of that, but he seems to be the only person who publicly talks from the Bowie camp, so I'd take it for what it is. If they ever did see a release, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hope we get the full version of the title track. Remember it was shortened for because itunes didn't allow songs over 10 minutes to be bought individually from an album.