Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    just once, on the heathen club tour. saw the beacon theatre show from the back row orchestra, amazing all the same. don't know why i didn't make the reality tour... maybe i thought i'd catch him next time around.
    That must have been a great show! What a setlist, holy fuck!

@onthewall2983: As if the Ziggy shows couldn't get more over-the-top, there's Jeff Beck playing a talk-box guitar solo...
    Last edited by botley; 04-26-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Here's the set list from my first Bowie show:

http://www.littleoogie.com/david_bow...3-07-30_1.html

Here's the set list from my second Bowie show:

http://www.littleoogie.com/david_bow...7-09-12_1.html

Yes, I'm old. (Well, not as old as David Bowie.)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-26-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    @botley It's very amusing to actually see him using the talk box. I read an interview where he said as soon as Frampton was using them he stopped using them.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ I've seen Jeff Beck at least 4 times and he was probabably joking. He's friends with Frampton. Joe Walsh has some really funny talk box stories involving Frampton. Poor Frampton, who was a kid while in Humble Pie, people forget that he's a great guitarist. He constantly gets slammed about that damned talk box. When I saw him live last summer, he was saying some really funny shit through that talk box, the guy is hilarious. /Peter Frampton slamming :-)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^^ I've seen Jeff Beck at least 4 times and he was probabably joking. He's friends with Frampton. Joe Walsh has some really funny talk box stories involving Frampton. Poor Frampton, who was a kid while in Humble Pie, people forget that he's a great guitarist. He constantly gets slammed about that damned talk box. When I saw him live last summer, he was saying some really funny shit through that talk box, the guy is hilarious. /Peter Frampton slamming :-)
    Frampton doesn't get a lot of cred as a guitarist. He was one of the few things in Never Let Me Down that was tolerable. Plus, his guitar work in the Glass Spider tour was superb including singing the chorus of "Sons of the Silent Age" with Bowie. That was a highlight. After all, he and Bowie are old schoolmates.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    This was the Bowie show I went to:

http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-O...elease/2136152 (+ they played Little Wonder as the encore)

One of the greatest days of my life!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Awesome.

I saw this one, too:

http://www.littleoogie.com/david_bow...4-01-16_1.html

I actually somehow managed to score 7th row tickets at the last minute because I didn't even know he was touring, duh. It was kinda depressing to be among the YOUNGEST people in the audience (we're not young). And to see him at this type of venue after having seen him sell out two nights at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit in the 80s was a bummer.

Oh, yeah, guess WHO ELSE saw a show on that tour: http://movies.msn.com/celebrities/ce...8&gallery=3429
    Last edited by allegro; 05-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Oh, yeah, guess WHO ELSE saw a show on that tour: http://movies.msn.com/celebrities/ce...8&gallery=3429
    wow, gorgeous picture.

I was really broke during the heathen and reality tours, but in hindsight I should have get a second job or sell my body or whatever...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Wow... did Trent ever get a shot at Charlize Theron?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh, wow, watching restored version of D.A. Pennebaker's 1973 concert film on Paladium. So awesome.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Oh, wow, watching restored version of D.A. Pennebaker's 1973 concert film on Paladium. So awesome.
    Where can I see this?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Palladia channel on Comcast. Sorry, typo in above post. Typing from iPhone.

http://www.palladia.tv/
    Last edited by allegro; 06-01-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone pick this up? Just got it via mail. Very cool that they included a 5.1 24/48 DTS (and Dolby) DVD copy of the previously released SACD with it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-mars-20120530

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I've already got the SACD, and as far as I can tell, this new reissue offers no benefit over that release in any way (except for the surround mixes of the bonus tracks, which I'll be torrenting). The fucking balls on EMI, reissuing this album *again* after no less than seven previous remasters and repressings! Even if it were the best-sounding version of the album, bar none, there's no goddamn way I'd reward that kind of straight-up greed by supporting their shitty dead-format parade.
    Last edited by botley; 06-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought the vinyl of Ziggy Stardust. Ive just started out in vinyl and its a nice addition to my collection.
    The added bonus of the DVD is neat too because I can put it on my mp3 player easily or just play it up on the TV.

A bit expensive at 23 quid on the high street but a nice package all things considered

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I've already got the SACD, and as far as I can tell, this new reissue offers no benefit over that release in any way (except for the surround mixes of the bonus tracks, which I'll be torrenting). The fucking balls on EMI, reissuing this album *again* after no less than seven previous remasters and repressings! Even if it were the best-sounding version of the album, bar none, there's no goddamn way I'd reward that kind of straight-up greed by supporting their shitty dead-format parade.
    Yeah, it can be annoying when there are too many re-releases of the same album. You wonder what version is the best, most of the time it's not worth buying again like in your case, and you also worry if they've crushed the dynamics. I got it because it was my first time (officially) owning any version, so it was good for my case as it included both surround and vinyl in one pack. Got into vinyl within the last year and planned on picking this up sooner or later, though they sure are milking this one. If you already own one of the many past re-releases, it probably isn't worth getting. I guess one potential advantage of this release is that it was mastered by Ray Staff, who engineered the original. I don't have a way to compare them, so I can't add anything here regarding that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If i could go back in time and hear that 10/10 Live version of Sunday...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Here's the set list from my first Bowie show:

http://www.littleoogie.com/david_bow...3-07-30_1.html

Here's the set list from my second Bowie show:

http://www.littleoogie.com/david_bow...7-09-12_1.html

Yes, I'm old. (Well, not as old as David Bowie.)
    I saw him on both those tours, too (as well as the Outside tour).
    Scoot over, grandma.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Reconnected with 'Heathen' a couple of days back. It's a solid album from start to finish.

I'm secretly hoping for a stripped back Rick Rubin esque comeback from him in the next couple of years...

Oh - also - his cover of Waterloo Sunset (from special editions or Reality) is addictive - I don't think I've ever been able to just listen to it once in a sitting.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    as much as i'm dying for bowie's comeback, i really hope it's not with rick rubin on the decks...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Isn't he paranoid about having a heart attack onstage? I figured that's why he's been away for so long

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I meant Rubin-esque - stripped back and... age appropriate. I wouldn't want to see him trying to be a 40 year old when he clearly isn't anymore.

If he is taking requests though, the sequel to 1. outside would be nice.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i followed what you were saying, just riffing off it and hoping rubin isn't actually the one to get him out of it. i don't think bowie would do that though. as for age-appropriate, he tried that with hours and it was a mixed affair. and of course the sequel to outside would be nice, but i reckon it'll come in the form of outtakes from the vaults (if at all) and not in the form of a new record.

i'd be ok with permanent retirement if he actually made some sort of announcement. with the heart problems, a young daughter, and a back catalog as rich as his, it seems only natural, but it's that thread of hope that's frustrating...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Agreed 100% on some sort of announcement, just let us know it's over... or not over... it's painful holding out hope and seeing years go by without a hint of activity.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Someone gave me a copy of this on vinyl recently. I hadn't even heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_Ups_(album)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    it's spotty, but not without its charm. 'sorrow' is a gem (as is the brel cover that appears as the single b-side), but it's the only 70s record that i generally skip over.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I especially love Pin Ups on 8-track tape. The running order is different (and better, in my opinion) compared to the LP/CD version. It looks like this:

1. Rosalyn/Here Comes the Night/Friday on My Mind
    2. Where Have All the Good Times Gone/Sorrow/I Wish You Would
    3. See Emily Play/I Can't Explain/Don't Bring Me Down
    4. Shapes of Things/Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere/Everything's Alright

But yes, the Jacques Brel tune ("Amsterdam", with just Bowie and 12-string guitar) is superior to just about everything on the album proper. You can only get it on the 30th Anniversary Edition of Ziggy now.
    Last edited by botley; 10-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Awwwwww yeahhhhhhh I've always loved Sorrow. (except it reminds me of an ex who included it on a mix tape he gave me, he was such a whore)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Pin Ups never really did it for me. Then again, I've only listened to it from start to finish maybe once, and that was a long time ago.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Pin Ups never really did it for me. Then again, I've only listened to it from start to finish maybe once, and that was a long time ago.
    Nah, as far as his 70's albums go I found Pin Ups always a snoozer, minus the iconic cover.