Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion what was the "definitive" album of the 1990's?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

In your opinion what was the "definitive" album of the 1990's?

Which album, in your view, is the "definitive" album of the 1990's. It doesn't have to be your personal favorite album released that decade, you can even dislike or hate it. By "definitive," I'm talking sales, cultural impact, legacy, etc.

According to this list the soundtrack to The Bodyguard is the biggest selling album of the 1990's. I wouldn't rank it as the "Definitive" album of that decade, however, as apart from "I Will Always Love You" I don't remember any other song from it. Yes, it sold a ton of albums, but seems more like a relic from the early 1990's than an album that captured the zeitgeist of that decade.

I'm tempted to go with Nirvana's Nevermind, which, and sorry to sound so cliche, really was a game-changer that influenced rock music/fashion for the decade, as well as being one of the decade's biggest sellers (10 million sold in U.S.). Pearl Jam's Ten would be another contender.

Many people on this board might pick The Downward Spiral or The Fragile, while I would pick Soundgarden's Superunknown as my personal favorite album from the 1990's. But the "definitive" album? One choice really stand out for me--Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette.

Can you understate how frigging huge that album was? I didn't even own that album when it was massively popular but you couldn't escape from it. The songs--"You Outta Know," "You Learn" and especially "Ironic" were everywhere. And this was an album that appealed to all kinds of people. You would hear her songs alongside Pearl Jam and The Smashing Pumpkins on rock-oriented stations, but she was also played on soft-rock, college, and adult-contemporary radio too. At Applebees, the mall, Trader Joe's--you couldn't escape those songs.

In addition to the huge singles and massive sales, the album just sort of screams "1990's," in all it's angsty, Generation X glory. So while Jagged Little Pill isn't my personal favorite album of the 1990's, it gets my vote as the "definitive' album from the 20th century's final decade.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    In terms of pure influence, it has to be "Nevermind". It's impact early on in the 90s reverberated throughout the rest of the decade and beyond. There are other influential albums to be sure, but that one had to be the most influential of the decade (for better or worse).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    In terms of pure influence, it has to be "Nevermind". It's impact early on in the 90s reverberated throughout the rest of the decade and beyond. There are other influential albums to be sure, but that one had to be the most influential of the decade (for better or worse).
    All true and many people (probably a majority) would go with Nevermind. But for just a moment in time, say the fall of 1995 to early 1998, JLP infected the public like the bubonic plauge.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Nirvana’s Nevermind, and I don’t even think it’s close.

GREAT album, but not my favorite. The influence was huge and changed pop culture seemingly over night. Instead of teens wearing tight denim and leather, it went to more baggy jeans and flannel (just for starters).

EDIT: not JLP’s fault, but it helped that Nevermind came out in 1991. It was THE trendsetter.

EDIT 2: Nermind’s legacy was cemented with Kurt Cobain’s death, fairly or not. I wonder how they would be looked at had he lived and the band stayed together- I know it wouldn’t have been the same, and say that they wound up producing a bunch of mediocre albums?
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-25-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Hey @RhettButler , according to that list it looks like Shania Twain’s Come On Over was the best selling album of the 90’s followed by Metallica. The Bodyguard is a bit down the list unless I’m seeing something you’re not...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Hey @RhettButler , according to that list it looks like Shania Twain’s Come On Over was the best selling album of the 90’s followed by Metallica. The Bodyguard is a bit down the list unless I’m seeing something you’re not...
    Yeah, but 16 million, 16.5 million, 17 million... it's kind of negligible at that point. I know Metallica's s/t was super popular (I bought it at least twice), but sales are just one component of what would make the album the "definitive" one of the decade, and for me, JLP really captured the flavor, spirit of the times, combined with sales. As for Shania Twain, never heard her music, don't know anything about her. Really no right or wrong answers. I was just hoping for people to throw their 2 cents in and argue their pick.

ETA--According to that list the Bodyguard is certified 18x platinum but sold not quite 14 million copies. I don't get it.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Songs of Faith and Devotion (Depeche Mode, 1993). :-)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    In my life, it's The Downward Spiral or Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    For better or worse, Korn's self-titled basically spawned a genre.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    why is it all rock?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I cannot say there is only one album that represents the whole 90s... it was 10 years worth of amazing music that all still influences artists today. Too many different genres as well. I can see a top 10 list or something, but not just one album.

I would say...

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu 36 Chambers
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Guns N Roses - Use You Illusion I & II
    Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Even ten albums is not enough to represent the 90s. I'm more of an electronic music lover, so there's albums for me that are major that others may not pick.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-25-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    that's the thing on a mainstream influential level...

Sure, Nevermind "wins" there in the rock world, it's definitely the album that had the biggest influence... or maybe it's OK Computer?
    Prodigy - Fat of the Land, was not my jam as much as it is to others, but it's so fucking influential.

Dr Dre - The Chronic is so undeniable...

Also, depending on where you're at, Loveless. And if it was up to me, it'd be Loveless.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Worthy mentions...

Beck - Odelay
    Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill
    The Fugees - The Score
    Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled
    Portishead - Dummy
    Moby - Play

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    why is it all rock?
    Brah, some of this is subjective. And Shania Twain and Whitey Houston is not rock. :P

im all for TDS and The Chronic, but to have to pick one? It’s a no brainer for me.

If were throwing in honorable mentions I have to put in (with the above) Pantera’s Far Beyond Driven. They pretty much single handedly made metal still relevant in the mainstream rock scene through the alternative years. Probably the heavisedt album to reach #1 on the charts.

EDIT: and Tool’s Aenima. Might be “the best” album from the 90’s along with TDS and The Chronic (subjective, of course).
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-25-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Kriss Cross - totally krossed out

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    "Nevermind" is the definitive album of the 90s for what it accomplished and how it lit the match to start a revolution but it clearly wasnt the best album of the 90s. Shit, its not even Nirvana's best album (hello "In Utero")

Other revolutionary 90s albums (whether it was commercial or artistic or both)

Radiohead - OK Computer
    Dr Dre - The Chronic (the Nevermind of gangster rap. Game changer)
    Snoop - Doggystyle (biggest rap debut ever)
    Pearl Jam - Ten (hate to admit it but that was as big as Nevermind)
    NIN - Downward Spiral
    Beck - Odelay was huge for the sampling and mashing of styles a decade ahead of its time
    Depeche Mode - Violator (the definitive electronic album)
    Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
    Metallica - Black album
    GNR - Use Your Illusion (hate to admit it but these were massive)

I'll throw in Faith No More's "Angel Dust' for being the most groundbreaking/original/experimental album to come out of a "rock" band, that had the balls to release it on a major label. An album that has inspired many bands and even genres (hello Deftones)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Marilyn Manson: Antichrist Superstar

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I would like your take on how this is higher up on your list than “To The Extreme” and “Please Hammer Don’t Hurt Them”.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I would like your take on how this is higher up on your list than “To The Extreme” and “Please Hammer Don’t Hurt Them”.
    If you want to discuss what the LEAST essential album of the 1990's was...

Remember in 1994 when Vanilla Ice tried to reinvent himself with the dreadlocks and songs about smoking weed?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    If you want to discuss what the LEAST essential album of the 1990's was...
    Remember in 1994 when Vanilla Ice tried to reinvent himself with the dreadlocks and songs about smoking weed?
    ICP would like to have a word, and Meeting of The Juggalos, with you.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    ICP would like to have a word, and Meeting of The Juggalos, with you.
    That Vanilla Ice song is pretty bad and laughable (like all his songs) but I would still pick it over ICP.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Dr Dre - The Chronic is so undeniable...
    Yes.

Nevermind was big early to mid 90s but grunge was short-lived and essentially dead by the late 90s, replaced in popularity by the more urban sound of stuff like Korn, Kid Rock, eminem, or Limp Bizkit. In terms of far-reaching cultural and musical impact, I’m with Jinsai on Dr Dre - The Chronic.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Yes.

Nevermind was big early to mid 90s but grunge was short-lived and essentially dead by the late 90s, replaced in popularity by the more urban sound of stuff like Korn, Kid Rock, eminem, or Limp Bizkit. In terms of far-reaching cultural and musical impact, I’m with Jinsai on Dr Dre - The Chronic.
    I love The Chronic and I say that as someone who doesnt particularly like hip-hop. That album definitely deserves to be listed here. As for grunge, I'd say it sort of ran its course by late '94, but then you have your post-grunge bands (Bush, Sponge, Silverchair, etc.) that were popular into the late 1990's. Nevermind did reverberate throughout the decade.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-26-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    spice girls

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    LOL first tape I ever had.

It's tough. I'm thinking in terms of influence and continued cultural relevance. It's IMO a toss-up between Nevermind and The Chronic.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    ...As for grunge, I'd say it sort of ran its course by late '94, but then you have your post-grunge bands (Bush, Sponge, Silverchair, etc.) that were popular into the late 1990's. Nevermind did reverberate throughout the decade.
    Yeah, in no way am I downplaying Nevermind or Grunge in general. Nevermind was huge and so was Pearl Jam - Ten, sea change albums definitely. In my mind postgrunge was big step down from the likes of AIC, PJ, Nirvana, or Soundgarden. Over time it sort of devolved into stuff like Creed, Puddle of Mudd or Nickelback which didn’t really help the legacy. That said, I did like albums like Sixteen Stone and even My Own Prison (god help me). But in a vacuum, strong arguments can be made for the Nevermind album to be king of the 90s.

btw, since we derailed this into a Grunge/Postgrunge remembrance, shoutout to Core and Purple! These still get way more playtime from me today than anything from PJ or Nirvana.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think STP have held up rather well.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The funny thing is, I actually considered writing Vanilla Ice "to the extreme" as well. Just can't beat those backwards clothes!

ICP
    Speaking of ICP... I feel really dirty admitting this, but I went to check out an ICP show that rolled through town a couple weeks ago just for shits and giggles...
    That was hands down the worst concert I had ever seen. They were 40 mins late getting on stage, and only played for 40 mins, and they were literally just rapping OVER their CD's!! They would rap every other word, and you could hear the missing words on the sound PA... Also... got soaked in rootbeer... After the show, they decided to cancel the rest of their tour the next day.... Wish my show was the one that got cancelled so I could have got my money back.

Also, a guy in the crowd, well a couple of them, were extreme jackasses. One guy and his buddy came up to me with beers in their hands. One guy mumbeled some "Ya! Beer!" kinda bro language to me, so I went along and gave him a cheers. He downed his beer, and I simply took a sip of mine and he was like "that's not the right way to do it" and then his buddy proceeded to pour his beer on him... and I'm just like "uhhh... that was a waste of a beer" and he was like "You wouldn't understand. It's a juggalo thing" suuuuure...... wasting money on beer to shower yourself in, sounds like an idiot thing. They proceeded to act obnoxious for the rest of the show, flailing around, one guy almost getting his ass kicked out. Good times.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 08-26-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    RE: The Chronic. As good as that album is and as I much as I love it, I don’t think it’s as transcendent as Nevermind. People were already into hip hop culture when that came out. Straight Outta Compton (I know, it was released in the 80’s) had a bigger pop culture and musical impact than TC.

That intro into Dre Day is still fucking awesome. One of the best beginnings to any album.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Nevermind - Nirvana