Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tribute to Ced Sharpley who recently passed away -

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Apr2012 13

‘FILMS’ COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED

We are pleased to announce the winners of the recent ‘Films’ competition. All of the videos listed below will appear as stage projection visuals on the forthcoming Machine Music tour.
    Dominion Day – Neil Pascoe
    Bombers – Richard Herrero
    Berserker – Keita Lynch
    This Wreckage – George M
    Call Out The Dogs – Stefano Meneghetti
    Some of the videos we received are so good, we’ve decided to use them as stage projection visuals for other songs in the set and to this end, we have asked second placed entrant, Cale Wilbanks to create a re-edit of his This Wreckage entry for We Are Glass. George M will also be re-editing some of his work for Crazier and RIP.
    We would like to thank everyone that entered the competition for the time and effort they have put into creating some really great visuals for us and we very much look forward to seeing everyone on tour.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I only really like the one for Berserker. Completely original and not over the top, but creative. Will look good up on the screens.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    That one is great in the way that it creates an interactive element to the female vocals and reminds one of the original Berserker "look" at the same time. It was always a bit weird picturing Gary perform tracks from that period nowadays, with no one else even pretending to sing/play those parts (sax, electric violin, whatever) in his current band. This elegantly solves that issue, providing it syncs up well with the performances onstage.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.numan.co.uk/news/

MACHINE MUSIC TOUR AND DVD UPDATE

A lot of work is going in to the Machine Music Tour now which starts on May 22 in Leicester. You may have noticed already a lot of features and interviews in various newspapers and magazines and also on radio. The media support has been extremely strong and positive and it’s kept me very busy. There have been lot’s of meetings with various people looking at the stage show and lighting, the projections that we will be using, sound systems and so on. Choosing the winners of our film competition was actually very difficult. If I’m honest I hadn’t really expected to get many things that were good enough and suitable but I was amazed at the quality of so many of the entires and they will be a very powerful and welcome addition to the projection element of the new show. We also have some stunning new lights that we will be trying out as the tour progresses.
    The biggest task though has been deciding which songs to play. The set list includes many songs that haven’t been played for a long time. In fact the set is mainly made up of songs that we don’t usually play and that’s meant that the band are already at work learning things they are completely unfamiliar with. Going though the hundreds of tapes and files that I have in storage looking for those rare parts and sounds has taken a lot of time but we are determined to recreate those old songs the way they were made, the way you know them. It will be a radically different set to what we have been playing and I’m unlikely to play a set like it again for many years so it should be quite an interesting and exciting experience.
    Going back to places we haven’t played for a while is always enjoyable. For example Leicester, at the very start of the tour, should be a great night,. Other places like Newcastle and Cardiff that we don’t visit as often as I’d like are also on the tour and it will be good to play there again. One of the most exciting things about this tour though is having ‘Officers’ as support. Officers are without doubt one of the best new bands around and are going to be massive. I’ve already recorded a track with them and I’m glad to be involved at this early stage of what will, I”m sure, be a fantastic journey for them.
    We also have new merchandise designed specifically for the tour based around the DVD artwork and we will also have the Machine Music DVD itself available to view on screen and to buy.
    I think this tour is going to be quite special so I hope to see as many of you as possible in May and June, I’m really looking forward to it. GN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Do you know if the DVD will become avaliable after the tour? I'd be quite keen to get one.

Guess it'll be on ebay if not haha.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.artrocker.tv/features/art...e-evil-gallery

@voidnz - I'm sure it will be.

Numan + Unknown Pleasures cover = amazing.

http://www.artrocker.tv/features/art...-video-history

NUMAN WEEK: Gary Numan on his video history

As Numan Week comes to a climax, we hear back from the man himself as he takes us for a whirlwind tour of his video history

Last edited by Ryan; 05-05-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gary Numan … My family values

The musician talks about his family, IVF and living with Asperger's syndrome

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/may/05/gary-numan-family-values-aspergers?newsfeed=true

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://officersmusic.tumblr.com/post/22390333359

_OFFICERS announce new track with GARY NUMAN/

OFFICERS are proud to announce that they have collaborated on a brand new track with electro pioneer and godfather Gary Numan.
    Entitled ‘Petals’ the NUMAN x OFFICERS track will be given away on a first come first served basis, exclusively during Numan’s forthcoming Machine Music Tour. The track will be available as a limited edition (100 copies only) physical collaboration package, handmade, and designed by acclaimed British artist STUART SEMPLE.
    The edition will comprise a silver envelope, revealing 3 individual CDs each with a unique version of the track, and a mini art print specifically designed, numbered and signed by Stuart for this unique collaboration.
    Along with the NUMAN X OFFICERS track, the additional CDs will include a unique rework from uber producer, re-mixer and superstar DJ JAGZ KOONER and another special remix by LOSERS - headed up by XFMs legendary Eddy Temple Morris.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I bought Officers' album on Numan's recommendation and it is really impressive. It will be cool to see what they come up with together.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I haven't been keeping up with Numan like I should be in the past few weeks...

Gary has been confirmed to play at Guilfest (July 14) and at Hop Farm Festival (June 30).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.thisisnotretro.com/interv...interview-2012

I BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE A NEW ALBUM, 'SPLINTER', IN THE PIPELINE? WHERE ARE YOU AT WITH THAT?

I've written a huge amount of stuff for it, with around six songs being completed from a song-writing point of view. Plus there are dozens of other partial songs left to pull apart and put back together so it's well under way. I've still got a lot of production work to do but Ade Fenton, my producer, is already well into that so the pace is picking up now.
    It should be finished in the next three months and we then need to choose a suitable time to release it as we have a lot of other things going on...
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-09-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    http://www.thisisnotretro.com/interv...interview-2012

It should be finished in the next three months and we then need to choose a suitable time to release it as we have a lot of other things going on...
    I have been joking with my friends since 2009/10 that Gary would release this new album the way Trent used to release his albums... SOON. But seriously, I think it'll come out around the tail end of the year or early next year.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I have been joking with my friends since 2009/10 that Gary would release this new album the way Trent used to release his albums... SOON. But seriously, I think it'll come out around the tail end of the year or early next year.
    They are planning a huge world tour next year so I imagine it will be timed to coincide with that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They are planning a huge world tour next year so I imagine it will be timed to coincide with that.
    Yeah, that would seem to be the best time to release it. I hope Gary and the crew try to fit in some south US venues - Atlanta, GA - Charlotte, NC - or Knoxville, TN would be great for me. I'm sure they will be looking into a (super) deluxe edition of that album (Splinter) as well - I still haven't saved up enough money for the big edition of Dead Son (Rising).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    GARY NUMAN DEAD SUN RISING (GRAYED OUT MIX):

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/si...ads.php?id=373

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Machine Music DVD is limited to 3,000 copies.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Lots of excellent interviews and promotion lately!

Interviews:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ie_15_05_2012/ (starts about halfway in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ds_Gary_Numan/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ame_KweiArmah/ (starts about 19 mins in)

First show of the Machine Music tour starts Tuesday at Leicester! Looking forward to reports and videos.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-19-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This is the best interview I've read in years. http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music...ian-gary-numan

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ^ Printing now to read this morning on the train.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That was great. I'm glad they covered the moving to la thing properly.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That was great. I'm glad they covered the moving to la thing properly.
    THIS -----^

Also, I'm surprised that this is one of the best interviews I've read in a long time. I thought it was interesting how they asked about drinking, I would have never thought to ask Gary if he drank or got drunk - I mean as a kid I would have figured it.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 05-20-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Changing my "THIS" arrow

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    lol at Gary getting pissed for the first time in his 50s. He comes across really cute sometimes. And innocent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bloc Influences - Gary Numan

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    From NumanME forum:

Just received my confirmation for the gold VIP at Brighton. The signed cd is a new track called 'A Shadow Falls On Me'(demo).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    One of the things I really liked about early Numan albums is how it isn't from his pov: ie the lyrics are like excerpts from a dystopian scifi novel and you only get this snapshot of what feels like a bigger picture.

Contrast with reznor who wrote very first person until yz where he actively tried to write from different perspectives. (yep even the Numan esque machine bits on tds felt first person to me, as if that was all allegorical and the central despondent theme was personal).

Later Numan is much more personal and IMHO I've felt he's straying too far into NIN territory. I really felt like a lot of DSR was too close to NIN covers.

So, in line with him realising that his voice is a usp, I hope he considers returning to the story telling like approach he used on earlier albums.

I can but dream!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think tracks like "Dead Sun" & "When the Sky Bleeds..." put the lie to that critique. It actually seems like he has struck a conscious balance between the two perspectives now.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    SPOILER:

Set list for first Machine Music gig:

Berserker
    Metal
    The Fall
    Bombers
    Crazier
    Call Out The Dogs
    Dominion Day
    This Wreckage
    Absolution
    That's Too Bad
    In A Dark Place
    Down In The Park
    Rip
    Love Needs No Disguise
    Warriors
    I Die: You Die
    We Are Glass

Encore:

Healing
    Cars
    Are 'Friends' Electric?
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-22-2012 at 07:39 PM.