Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Numanoids whats the best live album to check out? I own every Numan album and EP ever made from 1977-1982, 1994-2018, yet I never bothered to check out the live albums outside of his Peel sessions disc (which is sick)......I know hes got like 50 live albums...Anything tops from the Excile/Pure/Hybrid era?
    While it isn’t a live album, “New Dreams For Old” is a really good compilation of obscure and reworked tracks that I really dig.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Just got Scarred in the mail today. Fucking sick album. That Pure tour was def one of his best tours.
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 01-23-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Random Numan thought: I’m surprised “Ancients” hasn’t appeared in more film soundtracks and the like. It’s so... big and emotional.

”Words so beautiful, they float like rain drops...”

There are two other versions aside from the original, right? The “Earlier Version” from the Crazier single and the “Grayed Out Mix”.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I believe there's another alternative version on the Mutate bonus DVD. Lovely double-dip Hybrid rerelease to soak the fans... I think I passed when this was new, and now secondary market pricing suggests I shouldn't have. Sigh.

Back on topic - your post prompted me to revisit Hybrid, which really is fantastic. Ancients and Crazier are a couple of my all-time favorite Numan tracks, and the new versions of the older tracks are stellar as well. Unfortunately, I think my reaction to this stuff made it much harder to get into Jagged when that album finally followed. I revisited that as well last night and promptly fell asleep. Anyone else struggle with that one?
    Last edited by roolfdriht; 01-10-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Redundancy

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Jagged Edge (remix versions/alternate versions) stomps the shit out of Jagged. Jagged was apparently a mess and he delayed it for 3 years and switched producers midway and finally dumped it out after record company execs and fans kept hounding him about the delays etc. I think even he has stated its a weak effort....Jagged Edge came out a year later and was much better. The alternate versions and re-worked versions are much more intense and focused. Thats the definitive version of that album. Plus its 2 discs worth of music

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The only thing that chaps me about Hybrid is the use of auto-tune on some tracks, which really doesn't suit his voice. I'm glad he had Ade Fenton produce Jagged instead of the Sulphur team, because (to my knowledge anyway) Fenton never touches that shit.
    Last edited by botley; 01-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jagged Edge (remix versions/alternate versions) stomps the shit out of Jagged. Jagged was apparently a mess and he delayed it for 3 years and switched producers midway and finally dumped it out after record company execs and fans kept hounding him about the delays etc. I think even he has stated its a weak effort....Jagged Edge came out a year later and was much better. The alternate versions and re-worked versions are much more intense and focused. Thats the definitive version of that album. Plus its 2 discs worth of music
    Also in my collection but gathering dust thanks to my "meh" reaction to Jagged. I shall revisit post-haste - thanks!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I believe there's another alternative version on the Mutate bonus DVD. Lovely double-dip Hybrid rerelease to soak the fans... I think I passed when this was new, and now secondary market pricing suggests I shouldn't have. Sigh.

Back on topic - your post prompted me to revisit Hybrid, which really is fantastic. Ancients and Crazier are a couple of my all-time favorite Numan tracks, and the new versions of the older tracks are stellar as well. Unfortunately, I think my reaction to this stuff made it much harder to get into Jagged when that album finally followed. I revisited that as well last night and promptly fell asleep. Anyone else struggle with that one?
    Yes, the one on Mutate is called “All I Know (Ancients Alternative Version)”. Can anyone confirm if that differs from “Ancients (Earlier Version)”?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The discogs listing suggests All I Know is ~2 minutes shorter, so quite possible it's a different version. However, confirmation from someone who's actually listened to both would definitely be appreciated. A quick scan suggests the former isn't on YouTube for easy comparison.

Another random Numan thought while I'm at it - the myriad US releases of the live albums with different covers and names vs. the UK originals is pretty aggravating. Trying to identify legitimate holes in my collection is nigh impossible, especially with a number of late 1990s CD purchases in storage hundreds of miles away. Curse my spotty memory...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Yes, the one on Mutate is called “All I Know (Ancients Alternative Version)”. Can anyone confirm if that differs from “Ancients (Earlier Version)”?
    Yes, it's a lot different, including alternate lyrics. So there are four studio versions: the Hybrid LP one, the two "Crazier" B-sides, and "All I Know". He also performed it live a few times in that period.
    Last edited by botley; 01-10-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Speaking of Fenton. One album that slipped under the radar is Fentons 2007 album 'Artificial Perfect'....Numan sings on 4 of the 9 songs on the album, so its basically like a Gary Numan solo EP. The songs are awesome. Real NIN 'PHM' sounding with Numan on vox

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Speaking of Fenton. One album that slipped under the radar is Fentons 2007 album 'Artificial Perfect'....Numan sings on 4 of the 9 songs on the album, so its basically like a Gary Numan solo EP. The songs are awesome. Real NIN 'PHM' sounding with Numan on vox
    Numan performed “The Leather Sea” live from that a few times as well. Maybe “Healing” also. Creepy as hell music video for “Healing”.

Fun fact: during that time, an interviewer said to Fenton/Numan, “So, your new single, The Leather Sofa...”

I mentioned that to Ade in person once and he laughed being reminded of it. “What a tosser” were his exact words, I think.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-10-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    On the topic of Artifical Perfect, there is an extended version available of “One Day” as well. Love that song.

Slide Away and Recall, the other two songs with Numan on vox, are also brilliant. Can’t go wrong with that record. Ade really needs to release another.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-10-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oh damn! It's official and on Amazon! Beggars Arkive of I, Assassin on dark green vinyl!

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.14.46 AM.png

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CGN3A3NKAA05NF

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ^ i still have mixed feelings about that album. it's really the drum programming that kills me. i love the bass, synths, and vocals, and the songs in general. but there's something about the sounds of the drum programming that just pull me out of the music. :/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So glad Gary mentioned not only The Downward Spiral, but also my beloved Songs of Faith and Devotion (Depeche Mode) as albums that helped him reinvent himself.

(sorry if mentioned before)

And I still listen to complete Savage + EP at least once a week and just loving it, it still hits me so deep. Strange thing is I don't seek very much his previous stuff... this is just so good and I need nothing more. :-)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I have every Numan album/EP/ and a bunch of his live stuff from 1977 through the I, Assassin album. Then from 1994s Sacrifice to now...Theres a 10 year window from Warriors to that piece of shit Machine/Soul album from 1992 where I do not own any of those albums. I know Numan hates that era as well.....Most of the albums in that era I have never bothered to listen to outside of a song here or there (and did not like what I heard)...My question is, are ANY of those albums redeemable? Or is it all dance pop with backup singers? I heard Metal Rhythm was decent, but thats about it...

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I have every Numan album/EP/ and a bunch of his live stuff from 1977 through the I, Assassin album. Then from 1994s Sacrifice to now...Theres a 10 year window from Warriors to that piece of shit Machine/Soul album from 1992 where I do not own any of those albums. I know Numan hates that era as well.....Most of the albums in that era I have never bothered to listen to outside of a song here or there (and did not like what I heard)...My question is, are ANY of those albums redeemable? Or is it all dance pop with backup singers? I heard Metal Rhythm was decent, but thats about it...
    “Time To Die” (inspired by Blade Runner) and “I Wonder” are both great songs IMO.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Excited, and relieved, to be able to announce that the Making Music campaign for the new album will launch tomorrow (Friday, March 22nd) at midday UK time.

The campaign will give you the option of watching, via regular updates, the making of the new album from the very beginning to the very end. If you just want to watch as it progresses, that’s fine. If you like what you hear along the way, or sooner, and you want to pre-order the album you can do that as well. If you want to buy any of the other items that are available you can also do that but, if you are interested in those, it would make sense to get in quickly. Most of the items available are single items, the white label test pressings for example (not all but most), the acetates, musical equipment used in the studio and on tours, clothes and more. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

We did this before with Savage and your participation, through those pre-orders, was a big factor in getting that album to Number 2 in the UK chart, and for the success of the album overall. You really did make a huge difference. I’m hoping we can do something similar with this campaign, and this album.

So tomorrow, Friday, March 22, midday.

The address is: https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es

Last edited by Erneuert; 03-22-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Making Music pre-order section of the site is now live.

In addition to the new album, I ordered the original track sheet for "White Boys and Heroes" from the I, Assassin sessions (this would be the engineer's documentation of what elements were on the multi-track tapes). There appears to be another recording on the same sheet, with a title I've never seen before, "R Box One". No idea what that is. Exciting! Too bad I won't have it in my hands until... gulp... 2020.

While acquiring this holy relic would be enough for some, I also wanted to get an original white label test pressing/master acetate... but they're just too expensive for me to afford right now. Especially the classic-era ones, holy shit!! $926 for white labels of Telekon or Dance.
    Last edited by botley; 03-22-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Gave another run through some of Gary's mid to late 80s work. Outside of a few shitty pop friendly songs here and there, there is a lot of good stuff on those records. I forgot how good Strange Charm was. Sacrifice in 94 is when he fully embraced the darkwave and industrial tones but he was flirting with those sounds as far back as Strange Charm and Berserker. I think the dude was just conflicted during that era. Part of him wanted to do edgy stuff and the other part of him wanted to be a pop star. I find Numans mid 80s albums a lot more redeemable than Bowies mid to late 80s work which borders on unlistenable (Tonight, Never Let Me Down)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is the first time I bought an album when recording hasn't even started yet. :-)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Gave another run through some of Gary's mid to late 80s work. Outside of a few shitty pop friendly songs here and there, there is a lot of good stuff on those records. I forgot how good Strange Charm was. Sacrifice in 94 is when he fully embraced the darkwave and industrial tones but he was flirting with those sounds as far back as Strange Charm and Berserker. I think the dude was just conflicted during that era. Part of him wanted to do edgy stuff and the other part of him wanted to be a pop star. I find Numans mid 80s albums a lot more redeemable than Bowies mid to late 80s work which borders on unlistenable (Tonight, Never Let Me Down)
    “No Shelter” from The Fury era was a massive, epic sounding instrumental. That goes back to, what, 1985?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    “No Shelter” from The Fury era was a massive, epic sounding instrumental. That goes back to, what, 1985?
    Fury was '85....Another underrated album....I think it was one of the bonus tracks on the reissue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    This is the first time I bought an album when recording hasn't even started yet. :-)
    Same here! I picked up the signed delux CD. I was considering getting a lyric sheet for Absolution... but, £150 man.
    Last edited by Trains; 03-26-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    So the early album title name Gary is going with is “Intruder,” according to the first Making Music video.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Liking the videos so far. Is he overplaying his 'it's all gloom and doom' hand though...? I can't believe an artist like him can';t afford to hire an IT wizard for a day or two to upgrade his IT system...!! Or couldn't he get on the blower to Trent and ask him for a moody copy of the latest Pro Tools...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Liking the videos so far. Is he overplaying his 'it's all gloom and doom' hand though...? I can't believe an artist like him can';t afford to hire an IT wizard for a day or two to upgrade his IT system...!! Or couldn't he get on the blower to Trent and ask him for a moody copy of the latest Pro Tools...
    Gary would probably rather go through the struggle himself; if he runs into something he can't solve on his own, he'll call up someone who can... but from what I gather, he is someone who prefers to have hands-on involvement with all the technical aspects of making his music. It's kind of his hallmark, going back to the very first albums when he was just starting out, and demanded they try all sorts of weird mixing choices the engineers were extremely leery about. If this is what he needs to do to feel comfortable while experimenting and writing in his studio, so be it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So I bought the Deluxe CD edition with the pass and everything else. I’m probably going to go to see him in Cardiff and the London Roundhouse (although a bit miffed to find the Roundhouse suddenly has set seats rather than unreserved seating, as I bought them at a different time to the others in my group I’m sat on my own!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Grabbed this pic from the latest Making Music video - for anyone wondering what's going on, he's doing an unboxing of his new kit for the studio...

Last edited by simonn; 04-19-2019 at 02:24 AM.