Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    So, last night I discovered Stormtrooper in Drag.

I can't stop listening to it. I am fucking mesmerised by it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    oh, man. that's my favorite gary numan song, hands down. i fucking love it. i was so excited it was included as a bonus track on the new pressing of Dance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, man. that's my favorite gary numan song, hands down. i fucking love it. i was so excited it was included as a bonus track on the new pressing of Dance.
    I'm not very good at describing music with words, but this song has something I can't put my finger on that makes it almost addictive. Everything about it is perfect.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    I'm not very good at describing music with words, but this song has something I can't put my finger on that makes it almost addictive. Everything about it is perfect.

it's unique in gary's catalogue for a multitude of reasons - it has a groove that's not usually present; it has a flirtatiousness in the vocals that's very rare; gary's playing bass and paul gardiner is playing guitar; his voice isn't following a keyboard line, it's just doing its own thing; idunno, everything about it just makes it really interesting and fun and rewarding to listen to, so i love it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Whoa what?! Gary plays bass on that song!?! You just blew my mind

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yea man, one of my all time favorite Numan tracks. Dance is a underrated era.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Stormtrooper" is a BANGER. Really pleased with the Dance reissue.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    If y'all like that weird ambient stuff check this shit from 1984:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just booked to see Gary Numan play with the Skaparis Orchestra in Cardiff. Looking forward to it

https://garynuman.com/orchestral-shows-ticket-update/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just booked to see Gary Numan play with the Skaparis Orchestra in Cardiff. Looking forward to it

https://garynuman.com/orchestral-shows-ticket-update/
    heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though
    I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...
    I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???
    Bit of a shame the orchestra didn't add more - been watching the Alter Bridge at The Royal Albert Hall Blu Ray - that's how to do it! Glad you enjoyed it though.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sweet! I know he did a show with a small string section before, back on the Jagged tour. This concert series should be amazing!

Here is their conductor's announcement about the shows. Live DVD recording at the Royal Albert Hall!
    Last edited by botley; 04-11-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Gary Numan 2018 Tour Dates:
    04/28 – Mexico City, MX @ Control Fest
    07/09 – Montreux, CH @ Montreux Jazz Festival
    07/21 – Manchester, UK @ Bluedot Festival
    09/04 – Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
    09/05 – Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
    09/07 – Austin, TX @ The Mohawk
    09/08 – San Antonio, TX @ Paper Tiger.
    09/09 – Dallas, TX @ Canton Hall
    09/10 – Oklahoma City, OK @ Tower Theatre
    09/11 – Kansas City, MO @ The Truman
    09/13 – St. Louis, MO @ The Ready Room
    09/14 – Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart’s
    09/16 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
    09/17 – Millvale, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre
    09/18 – Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
    09/20 – Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club
    09/21 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    09/22 – New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
    09/23 – Wilmington, DE @ The Queen
    09/24 – Cleveland, OH @ House Of Blues
    09/25 – Louisville, KY @ Headliner’s Music Hall
    09/27 – Omaha, NE @ Slowdown
    09/28 – Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
    09/29 – Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
    10/01 – Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre
    10/02 – Seattle, WA @ Neptune
    10/03 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
    10/05 – San Francisco, CA @ Bimbo’s 365 Club
    10/06 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
    11/12 – Cardiff, UK @ St. David’s Hall ^
    11/13 – Birmingham, UK @ Symphony Hall ^
    11/15 – Newcastle, UK @ City Hall ^
    11/17 – Manchester, UK @ Bridgewater Hall ^
    11/19 – London, UK @ Royal Albert Hall ^
    11/20 – Glasgow, UK @ Royal Concert Hall ^

^ = w/ The Skaparis Orchestra

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Great, great. Play Boston ONE DAY after I leave for tour. Asshole.

(jk love you Gary!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper A.D. View Post
    Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link
    If you buy the vinyl the download code includes Cold in mp3. I never ripped the vinyl because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I have an MP3 version but would still prefer a lossless one

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Gary and Gemma popped over for tea with Toyah and Robert Fripp and I'm a little bit giddy about it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hello. Gary Numan show tonight at HOB Cleveland cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. NO OFFICIAL word yet. Downtown near HOB a tour bus was involved in an accident near HOB about 2 hours ago. An elderly man was hit and killed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Gary Numan/Tubeway Army

on a NIN forum with everything Gary means to Trent, and there's no Numan thread? Lets have some respect for the king....His new (2017) album Savage ranks right up there with his early stuff....The guy is still putting out top notch material....Clearly the stuff he did from 1978 to the early 80s is classic and much like with Bowie, you skip a decade through all the shitbomb sellout pop mid 80s through early 90s albums albums and get right to the mid 90s....Starting with Sacrifice in 94, every album he has put out has been good to great. Dude is still at the top of his game. Clearly Trent gets a major assist because NIN is an obvious influence on the post 94 stuff...Ironic how Gary influenced Trent and then TR influenced Gary....and Tubeway Army is still fucking legendary
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 10-09-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    new EP is fucking sick

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    New EP?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    New EP?
    https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=39763

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Ah ok. That came up part of savage extended , that’s why I wasn’t popping up as a separate thing on my streaming service.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

Ooh never knew about this comp, thanks for the rec! Early Numan is best Numan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FCUK.

Of course I know the name "Gary Numan", I do know he made some probably important album "Cars" decades ago :-), I like NIN "Metal", didn't like the recent live version on NIN channel very much, generally I don't look out for someone "new" to add to my list of approved artists :-) (the last one to make it was Steven Wilson before Hand.Cannot.Erase.) and don't trust recommendations anymore, but yesterday I tried innocent link in depechemode.cz comments and it was "My name is Ruin" - and my jaw dropped. WHAT? Then "The end of things" and it was done deal. I just listened to the whole Savage and Fallen EP (loud speakers, dark outside, just the fireplace burning) and I can't remember the last time I was this hypnotised by new music (maybe The Background World, but I know NIN), it's fucking amazing, where do I live with what people that noone mentioned this, it's great, I had no idea it could be this good! WOW. And he's only 60 (wow), so I'm here right from the start! :-) Some random memories from listening: Dead Can Dance, Alan Wilder remixing Nitzer Ebb, Blade Runner... can't remember, too overflown with the music. There's certain similar vibe to the tracks, but it's not all the same, and I was surprised it ends already. And it is loud but at least with this setup it worked beautifuly. And Gary signs much better than I thought he can. Got the get some t-shirt or something to let the world know! Mega.

Fun detail: when I enter "recently added" on my DLNA server, there is also "The START of things" from mid90s. :-)

Update:
    "Am I awake or lost in old dreams?"
    "Can any part of this be real?"
    Perfect, will also pay more attention to the lyrics once I'm capable of not be blown away so much. Also, from some comments here it seems like I'm better off with not knowing previous work, all is completely new to me. :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 11-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.