Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Welp, Gary sure went with that "sand/Arabian" image to match the album's sound that he mentioned in the last Pledge update video, judging by this new promo picture:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    lol, someone here comments "not sure about the Islamic font though Gary, it might attract some unwanted attention" -

https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOf...414028/?type=3

People are such annoying idiot fucks.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    [COLOR=#FB2C33 !important]ACCESSPASS UPDATE[/COLOR] 21 APRIL, 2017Friday. April 21, 2017. New Image concerns.

Hello Everyone,
    As you may have seen the new UK tour has just been announced. Shows in Europe will be announced very soon and a North American tour hopefully will be confirmed in the next few weeks. I’m also looking at many other places around the world so, if things come together as I hope, I will be able to add a constant string of shows around the world in the coming months. I am very excited and optimistic about the next twelve months and what could happen with this album.
    The reason for this update though is as an explanation. A few people seem concerned about the imagery of the new photos, the tour flyer mostly I guess, the type face used, the title itself combined with those things and so on. It seems that some misunderstanding is occurring and that some of you feel that it could be taken as, amongst other things, showing support for ISIS, an insult to Middle Eastern culture and decency, and so on. So, I would obviously like to clear that up before it goes any further because none of that is intended.
    The majority of the songs on the new album are taken from ideas I’ve been working on for a novel. Yes the same one I’ve been talking about for years. My Science Fantasy epic that will probably never see the light of day but, much as the short stories I was writing around Replicas time did for that album, so this permanently unfinished book is giving me a huge amount of material to write new songs about. The ideas for the book gave me songs for Dead Son Rising, a few for Splinter and now quite a few for Savage.
    Savage then is a theme album by and large. Set in a post apocalyptic future where the earth has been devastated by global warming and what remains is mostly harsh, barren and desert like. The various cultures of the few that survived have, over generations, essentially merged into one. That merging driven mostly by the necessities of surviving in the environment that remains. The book (and therefore the album) is based upon concerns about the catastrophic effects of ignoring global warming, and how the survivors must adapt, and nothing at all to do with comparing existing cultures, terrorism, religion or nuclear war. The title Savage does not refer to a person, or to a culture, but to the environment the people exist in in this fictional future. The new photo is meant to depict a scene from that blighted future, it is certainly not meant to imply that people that live in a desert region are ‘Savage’. The clothes I’m wearing are not desert clothes, they are pseudo military looking (and meant to look worn out in the harshness of that world) and represent the way we may all need to look if policies designed to stop the effects of global warning are abandoned or ignored in certain vitally important key regions of the world over the next few years.
    The world the album describes is savage and the people in it need to be to survive, but that’s all there is to it. It’s fantasy, but based on my fears about what’s going to happen to future generations if we don’t do what needs to be done to protect the planet. It is not particularly political, not anti religious (for once), not anti anything other than the almost unbelievably ignorant decisions in one part of the world to walk away from agreements and commitments concerned with combating climate change and protecting our environment.
    Not every song is about this, I have other things that have found their way in to the album, but the image and style of ‘Savage’ is very much guided by the concerns mentioned above. Concerns that are forming the heart of the book that in turn supplied the bulk of the ideas for the album. It is absolutely not a dig against the Middle East or the people that live there, on the contrary, it’s a dig against certain Western powers who are ignoring overwhelming proof that they need to change their thinking and stop dismantling all the good that was about to be done to fight climate change.
    And with that I will step down from my little soap box and get back to finishing the song called ‘Savage’. A song more aptly described as fitting a sweeping landscape scene in a film rather than forming part of a rock album, but it seems to work and it’s very grand and epic. Rather beautiful in fact, even if I say so myself
    The album is very close to being finished now. The main album is done apart from one vocal/lyric, I’m finishing off the extra track for the Deluxe CD this weekend and the final song for the vinyl version will completed by the end of next week. I’ll do another audio or video update around then and play you some more things. But, by the skin of our teeth, it really does look as though it’s going to be ready on time.
    A word of thanks to Joseph Cultice for taking such extraordinary photos in a genuinely harsh environment. I’m very grateful to his skill and enthusiasm in getting the visual side together.
    I’d also like to thank Ade Fenton who, as always, is doing a remarkable job on the production and turning my rough ideas into music to be proud of.
    I will update the campaign again before it’s all over but I still wanted to say, yet again, how much I appreciate your support, and your patience, with this campaign and the making of the album. I know only too well how badly I messed up with my initial release date and your understanding of that was very heartwarming (mostly). I am, as ever, so grateful for your interest.
    Bye,
    Gary Numan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Bed of Thorns is the best I've heard from Gary in years. I had sort of lost interest as I felt nothing from the last couple of albums, so never even knew he had something coming out until now. On my 3rd listen in a row now. The chorus is really reminding me of something Type O Negative might have written circa October Rust.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of Gary's last two albums and I'm looking forward to the next one. If he's playing any shows in my area I will definitely be there.

Also I think his way of communicating with his fans is incredibly cool!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sunday, April 30th, 2017. Songs Written

Just a very quick text update to let you know that the song writing for the new album is finished. The song titles are (unless I change a few over the next week or so, which I might):

Bed Of Thorns
    Mercy
    If I Said
    I Heard A Voice
    Ghost Nation
    My Name Is Ruin
    Cold
    And It All Began With You
    Save Me
    I Belong Here
    Where Will You Be (When The World Comes Apart)
    If You Had Seen

A few too many I, Me and My’s in that lot to be honest so I will need to rethink one or two at least. I will do another video or audio update this week to let you hear some clips of the more recent songs, and clips of some finished versions of earlier songs. Not mixed finished, but production finished. I think we are due a bit of an update on the overall campaign in fact, a bringing up to date of all that’s gone on.

The main CD will have 10 songs, the Deluxe CD will have 11 and the Vinyl will have 12. I have yet to decide which songs will go on which versions but I will do that tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will also start on the sleeve artwork for the three versions (CD, Deluxe CD and Vinyl) and the Pledge t-shirt and poster. I leave LA for the UK on May 13th so I hope to have everything done by then and present the finished music and artwork to BMG while I’m there. Mastering is on the 19th in London and that is the last thing to be done as far as creating the album itself is concerned. There is a lot more to do after that of course.

I should feel excited and happy but I just feel shattered to be honest. I’m actually leaning towards grumpy this evening which is a bit odd. Still, it’s a huge thing to have got done, lots of stress and a vast array of emotions, for a long and very concentrated period of time, so perhaps it’s not that surprising that I don’t feel quite like throwing a party just yet. Maybe because I still have some concerns.

I still want to have another look at the main verse melody on Where Will You Be for one thing. I think that could be better. So, maybe I’ll tweak it a bit more before starting on the artwork. Give or take a tweak though, it’s done.

Gary N.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I love how honest he is in these updates. A bit of a grump

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm interested to see how the final product turns out considering how much he's been through since Splinter came out. His mother's passing, the passing of a lot of his animals, court cases, stress from idiot fans... Lyrically I wouldn't be surprised if a fuck or two appears. Hell, maybe even a fist fuck.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Man, here I thought he was just riffing off Dune imagery. I'm excited for this.

Also, I've had My Breathing and Call Out The Dogs on repeat all day, coincidentally.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 05-03-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    New live DVD, Legacy, filmed last year during the "classic era" tour in Liverpool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^I love how honest he is in these updates. A bit of a grump
    It was worth signing up to his Pledge campaign just for the videos, and not even the musical content, just him chatting away, and regularly over-sharing personal info! Guy is a legend. Have a ticket for Brixton in October. It'll be the third new album tour in a row I'll have seen him on, having not seen him since 1986, so he must be doing something right....!
    Last edited by simonn; 05-05-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Interesting to note that "When the world comes apart" is a line from "Magic" and "Mercy" was a demo song title from the Jagged sessions that eventually became a song on Dead Son Rising:

14th May, 2017. Savage Running Order for All Formats

I have retitled a few of the songs and have worked out what I think is the best running order for the three versions, CD, Deluxe CD and Vinyl. Final song titles and running order is as follows:

Ghost Nation
    Bed Of Thorns
    My Name Is Ruin
    The End Of Things
    If I Said
    When The World Comes Apart
    Mercy
    Pray For The Pain You Serve
    Broken

The extra song for the Deluxe CD is ‘Cold’.

The extra songs for the Vinyl version are ‘Cold’ and ‘What God Intended’.

My apologies for not getting the video/audio clips out as I said I would, I will very soon, but I’ve been too busy on other things, artwork mostly, which is looking great. I’m really happy with it.

I have a big and important meeting with BMG tomorrow (I flew into London this afternoon) and then I drive to Bath to work with Ade on the mixes.

Mastering Friday so everyone has to be ready for that.

UK tour dates for the album are announced and on-sale, Europe as well, North America coming very soon and then we’ll start pitting tours together in other regions. Very exciting times (but I really will get those music clips out to you as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone,

Gary N.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @botley just shot you a PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_(Gary_Numan_album)

Just made the page if you'd like to contribute.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go on Pledge and put in a pre-order for another copy of the vinyl. I got in on the autographed edition before they sold out. I'm kind of glad the album has taken a while to come out; as much as I love Gary, I wouldn't want him to rush his productions now. Definitely getting tickets if he ventures in the south east US.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Gary's interview from Music-News.com - May 18, 2017 - via Steel and You (Youtube).

Last edited by REPLICA; 05-19-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Credits.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I love Numan's enthusiasm for making field recordings and sticking them into his music. It has been a recurring technique of his going back (I believe) to The Fury, if not earlier.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I found this online two nights ago - never heard of it before. Anyone want it?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Aren't those just retitled tracks from The Radial Pair soundtrack?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Possibly. However, Magic has the "ayyyy ohhhhh" part but I haven't got the time right now to listen to them all:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ru5w5y

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I dunno, sounds to me like someone just cut together mostly bits without lyrics from the official versions, and looped them over and over. Rubbish outfakes.

The 'instrumental demos' don't sound much like what Gary was doing in that period, probably yet more fan creations.
    Last edited by botley; 05-20-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I dunno, sounds to me like someone just cut together mostly bits without lyrics from the official versions, and looped them over and over. Rubbish outfakes.

The 'instrumental demos' don't sound much like what Gary was doing in that period, probably yet more fan creations.
    Ah, crap. Well, in other news, GN posted on twitter (so did Ade) that Savage is completely finished and mastered now. Can't wait to hear this beast!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Did some wikipedia updating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_(Gary_Numan_album)

Savage is the upcoming twenty-first studio album by English musician Gary Numan. The album was first announced to be a part of a fan-backed Pledge Music Campaign on November 12, 2015.[1] As of May 2017, the campaign has reached 245% of its intended 100% goal. Gary initially intended Savage to have a 2016 release, but was delayed to the second half of 2017. As of May 20, 2017, mastering of the album has been completed as announced on Numan's official Twitter account.

Recording, Working Titles & Song Notes

Since its inception, Savage has gone through many different lyrical and musical changes, many of which fans witnessed via the Pledge Campaign. In order of appearance, working demo song titles included:

• Dome
    • Kontakt 7 (Bed Of Thorns early title)
    • March
    • I Heard A Voice
    • Save Me
    • I Belong Here
    • Where Will You Be (When The World Comes Apart)
    • If You Had Seen

It is worth noting that when the world comes apart is a line sung in the 1994 Sacrifice song Magic, and Mercy (appearing on the album proper) was an early demo title during the 2006 Jagged sessions, which would eventually become We Are The Lost from Dead Son Rising.
    A 'pre-Ade Fenton' mp3 of "Bed Of Thorns" was made available to download on September 3, 2016.
    Furthermore, a demo version of "Bed Of Thorns" appears on the soundtrack to the 2017 film Ghost In The Shell. To quote Gary: "I have a new song Bed Of Thorns on the recently released Ghost In The Shellalbum. To be exact it's my early demo version of the song. The version that will come out on my Savage album in a few months is considerably different."
    "Bed Of Thorns" debuted live on October 2, 2016.
    On May 13, 2016, Gary added a video and the following text to Facebook regarding the ballad If I Said, wherein his daughters, Persia and Echo, sing the song in unison:
    "Please forgive the proud Dad in me but this is a clip of Persia and Echo singing the 'If I Said' piano demo. I'd just finished the lyric and they had just that minute come home from school. They didn't really know the tune at all so it's a little wayward in places. They are both dyslexic, so them reading it at all was enough to make me watery eyed, but having your own children sing one of your new songs is about as special as it gets."

Pledge Campaign Perks & Offers

In addition to the AccessPass (regular album video updates and being able to hear demos and works in progress), the following items and offers were - and very few still are - available from the campaign:

• Digital Download of New Album
    • New Album on CD
    • New Album on Deluxe CD
    • New Album on Double Vinyl
    • New Album Poster (Signed)
    • New Album Bundle
    • Private Listening Party US
    • Private Listening Party UK
    • Mesa Boogie Guitar Rig (Signed)
    • New Album on Signed CD
    • New Album on Deluxe Signed CD
    • New Album on Double Vinyl (Signed)
    • Q Awards Wristband (Signed)
    • Boarding Pass from Classic Album Tour
    • Lighting Plans - Classic Album Tour
    • Live Arrangement Sheet (Signed)
    • Lyric Cheat Sheet (Signed)
    • Your Name In The Liner Notes
    • Classic Album UK Tour Schedule Sheet
    • Handwritten Lyric Sheet from the New Album (Signed)
    • Handwritten Lyric Sheet - Back Catalogue (Signed)
    • 'White Label' Test Pressing (Signed)
    • Handwritten Lyric Booklet
    • Drawmer DL 221
    • Korg WaveStation SR
    • Roland D-550 (Rack Synth)
    • Mastering VIP
    • Alesis XT20 ADAT
    • Alesis QS 6.2 Synth
    • Yamaha CS-5 Synth
    • Stage Top [Gary's shirt]. [Worn at] Classic Album Shows
    • Roland System 100. Model 101
    • Saturn Vocal Microphone (Signed)
    • Fender Bass Guitar (Signed)
    • GEM S2 Turbo synth/WorkStation
    • Oberheim. OBXa
    • Gibson SG Guitar (Signed)
    • Your Song Remixed [by Gary Numan]
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Looks like What God Intended is now on the album. If I Said is the deluxe exclusive and Cold is the vinyl exclusive:

Saturday. May 20th, 2017. Mastering

Yesterday the album was mastered at the Alchemy Mastering suite in West London. The final running order is now as follows, and these song titles are now confirmed:

CD:
    Ghost Nation
    Bed Of Thorns
    My Name Is Ruin
    The End Of Things
    Mercy
    What God Intended
    Broken

Deluxe CD:
    Ghost Nation
    Bed Of Thorns
    My Name Is Ruin
    The End Of Things
    Mercy
    What God Intended
    If I Said
    Broken

Vinyl:
    Ghost Nation
    Bed Of Thorns
    My Name Is Ruin
    The End Of Things
    Mercy
    What God Intended
    If I Said
    Broken
    Cold

BMG are also releasing a cassette version but I don’t know at the moment the running time allowed for that so I don’t know how many songs we can have on it. At least the same as the standard CD though.

Thanks to the four Pledgers, Richard, Michael, Stephen and David, who bought the Mastering VIP option and who sat in for the entire Mastering session yesterday. It was a long process. Matt Colton the mastering engineer at Alchemy Mastering worked his usual magic. We made quite a few changes to the mixes as the day unfolded. Nathan Boddy, who mixed the album, was standing by in his studio in East London. Ade would call Nathan and say what adjustments we needed, Nathan would get on with that and then send the files via Dropbox back to the Mastering room for Matt to continue working on. We’ve not done it that way before so it was interesting but it worked out really well.

We will now live with the Mastered versions for the weekend, make sure everything is perfect and approve them on Monday.

I fly back to Los Angeles tomorrow so I’ll finally get some audio posted here for you to listen to. Sorry for the delay on that.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ, by the sounds of these clips I feel like this is going to be better than Splinter. All the tracks are so strong - and that Arabian-electro part of "My Name Is Ruin" makes me jizz every time I hear it:

>>

Tuesday. May 25, 2017. Music Clips & Dust Jacket Artwork

My apologies for the delay in updating you with clips of finished versions of some of the new songs. Although the album was mastered last Friday we decided to make some changes early this week and so that required new mixes and remastering. All done now though. The songs have been sent to BMG and the paperwork for registration with the label and publishers has all been completed.

I got back to Los Angeles on Sunday evening and had intended to have a day off before starting on the remaining three songs that will be used for exclusives, giveaways, that kind of thing. The Manchester explosion shook me very badly though and I haven’t really had the heart to start on new music just yet. So, I’ve used the time to fill in the various registration forms that I mentioned, work more on the artwork and other album related nitty gritty.

Anyway, you will find a few short clips of the mastered versions of some of the new songs:

Ghost Nation
    Bed Of Thorns
    My Name Is Ruin
    Mercy
    If I Said (which will be on the Deluxe CD and Vinyl but not the Standard CD)

You have seen roughly how the main sleeve is going to look already so I’ve also added a look at one side of the inner dust sleeves for the album. This is still a work in progress but will give you a good idea.

The release date has been set but I need to wait until BMG okay the announcement. All I can say is it will definitely be before the UK tour.
    I have made a start on the hand written items, lyric sheets etc, so I will start to send them out in the coming weeks although that may not happen fully until mid July.
    The campaign is still ongoing and will probably run until a week or two before the album is officially released, so time left yet to see how the extra songs turn out, the sleeve, a video possibly (certainly), what’s going to be the single and the many other parts of the project.
    Much to do still

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    just came across this:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...electro-tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So Gary got the lyrics he wrote for Ghost Nation tattooed on his arms...

https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOf...ce=48&__tn__=E

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've been checking https://garynuman.com/tours2/ to see if there are any North American tour dates posted. Still waiting. But it looks like the Euro tour is nice and beefy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I've been checking https://garynuman.com/tours2/ to see if there are any North American tour dates posted. Still waiting. But it looks like the Euro tour is nice and beefy.
    From his Facebook:

A quick recap on my touring plans for 2017.
    In late July I'm doing a short four date mini tour. This before the new Savage album is released.
    In September/October the main UK Savage Tour.
    In late October a short European tour.
    In November/December a North American Tour, the dates for which will be announced soon.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ACCESSPASS UPDATE 15 JUNE, 2017

Thursday, June 15th, 2017. New single, video and other things

I think it’s true to say that I have a long history of choosing the wrong singles to promote albums. So, with Savage, I’ve asked BMG and the PR teams to choose. They have gone for ‘My Name Is Ruin’ which, worryingly, is the one I’d have chosen. However, the decision is made and so that song will now be the flagship introduction to Savage.

Later today I’m driving out to the desert, quite near Palm Springs actually, to start shooting the promo video for the song. The next few days are going to be extremely hot in the desert, 112 degrees F upwards apparently (44.5 C) so we intend to shoot in the very early morning and then again at night, keeping out o the hear as much as possible during the day. The director for this video, I’m delighted to say, is Chris Corner from IAMX who shot the ‘I Am Dust’ video in 2014, one of my all time favorites.

The video will be for the full length album version, which runs for just over six minutes, although there will be shorter radio edits made of the audio. I’m not sure if we’ll make shorter video edits as well but it’s likely. A photographer is coming along for both days of the shoot this time so I hope to have some cool behind the scenes type pics posted soon.

My daughter Persia sings on the ‘Ruin’ song so she will be in the video as well. She’s already dyed her hair and eyebrows pure white in preparation so she looks rather like a beautiful miniature alien at the moment. We also have a couple of camera fitted drones that we’ll be using so I’m hoping for some spa tabular shotes as the next two days unfold. We will be shooting Friday and Saturday.

I have no release date for the single as yet but I understand that BMG are announcing the album release date around the 26th of June and so possibly the single release date as well. The US Tour Dates for Savage will also be announced around June 26th or soon after.

I finally finished the vinyl album artwork yesterday so now I have to get on with the CD, Deluxe CD and cassette designs, plus the July merch and October merch items (which will be different). Also the Pledge poster and t-shirt is done but I will get them manufactured and sent out in late April/early September. This Pledge campaign will be closing a week or two before the album release but I’ll let you know exactly when asap. The lyric booklets that were part of the Pledge campaign have arrived and so I’ll begin to plough through that as soon as I can. Savage is a particularly wordy album lyrically so I’m beginning to regret the hand written lyric part of the campaign (Not really).

Other news; I’m behind schedule with writing and recording the extra three songs that are part of my BMG deal. I have made a start but I won’t have anything for you to listen to until the end of next week. However, I then fly to the UK on the 27th and won’t be back in Los Angeles until August 12th so I’ll have to finish off those three songs then.

The decision to release images and audio of the album is now with BMG so I can’t show you the album sleeve just yet, although if you’ve seen the tour flier with the Eastern looking font and desert image you’ve got a pretty good idea already.

It seems like a lifetime ago this projected got underway. I only hope you think it was all worth it when you hear the finished album. But, plenty to do before then so more updates soon.

I’ve added a clip of the Mastered version of ‘My Name Is Ruin’ as a reminder, and a Mastered clip of the song I co-wrote with Ade Fenton called ‘What God Intended’.