Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Anyone have anything to say about Denver, Colorado?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    It's probably my favorite city to fly in to... Never visited the city, just used it as a lay-over point a few times.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sooo...

I'm back at looking into buying a new computer. Definitely Apple, but debating whether pulling the trigger on a MacBook Pro (15") or a 21.5" iMac (and waiting 2-3 weeks for it to be back in stock).

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there any point telling someone (one of your best friends) that you're in love with them if you're like 99.9% sure they don't feel the same way?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What is the best site to watch films online. A site that has links to the latest released films, not just blockbusters, and has links to many older films too? Where you dont have to pay. They dont have to be the best quality.

Have not watched films online much in recent years, im very 5 years ago remember the whole TV Links ALLUC era and those sites seem to have gone to shit.

I know MegaVideo is not around anymore. But if anyone has any links or sites.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    Sooo...

I'm back at looking into buying a new computer. Definitely Apple, but debating whether pulling the trigger on a MacBook Pro (15") or a 21.5" iMac (and waiting 2-3 weeks for it to be back in stock).

Thoughts?
    I would take the money you are going to waste on a Mac and get yourself a super computer. Just sayin

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Yes. Do it. Even if it's awkward, it'll be better than not doing it at all and wondering for the next few years if anything could have happened.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yes. Do it. Even if it's awkward, it'll be better than not doing it at all and wondering for the next few years if anything could have happened.
    I am in a similar situation, but this girl (one of my best friends) is in a different country. Should I still have a go at telling her my feelings, even if I'm 99% sure that she wouldn't feel the same way?

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I am in a similar situation, but this girl (one of my best friends) is in a different country. Should I still have a go at telling her my feelings, even if I'm 99% sure that she wouldn't feel the same way?
    i am so glad i am not the only one who is in this situation.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Questions

If you are there for at least 24 hours, drink a lot of water. Altitude can sap you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    "Is it true we have to bring our own water?"
    "If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back."

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Chicago. What are some good CHEAP places for 3 metalheads and 1 pretentious asshole to eat at?

dont say "mcdonalds is cool, so is BK" i can get that shit in MI. give me a nice hole-in-the-wall mom&pop diner. we LOVE those places, and those places love us. TRUST me, we are THOSE people.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post
    Chicago. What are some good CHEAP places for 3 metalheads and 1 pretentious asshole to eat at?

dont say "mcdonalds is cool, so is BK" i can get that shit in MI. give me a nice hole-in-the-wall mom&pop diner. we LOVE those places, and those places love us. TRUST me, we are THOSE people.
    Let Triple D and Man Vs Food answer it for you:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    If you are there for at least 24 hours, drink a lot of water. Altitude can sap you.
    Hah, well I'm going to be there for 10 months! I will definitely keep that in mind. Although I'll be spending a few months away, in other states probably. (AmeriCorps.)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Hah, well I'm going to be there for 10 months! I will definitely keep that in mind. Although I'll be spending a few months away, in other states probably. (AmeriCorps.)
    Well, shit I must have missed your post in Outbursts! Congrats on getting a spot.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Well, shit I must have missed your post in Outbursts! Congrats on getting a spot.
    Thank you! I'll be leaving in about a week- can't wait to get this rolling =]

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukey View Post
    Is there any point telling someone (one of your best friends) that you're in love with them if you're like 99.9% sure they don't feel the same way?
    That's a tough one, but if you're really in love and not 100% sure that the response will be negative, then step up and go for it! But at first ask yourself whether it is easier for you to live with the already mentioned fact of never knowing if it could have worked out and maybe seeing that person get together with someone else or stepping away from that friendship if the answer is "no". Both thing will hurt, but the feeling you will get if the answer is "yes" is one of the best things in life and I would try to get it even if there is only the slightest chance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post

Portillos. It's a chain, but a small one that's pretty much only in Chicago. Best hot dogs you'll ever have and very reasonably priced to boot. The italian beef sandwiches are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween
    Try the ginger miso soup at Taki on Colfax. It's excellent and also the best way to get over a cold if you get sick.

The art museum is worth a look around and it's free on the first Saturday of each month for residents.

And you should definitely catch a concert at Red Rocks. Best venue in the country.
    Last edited by themethatyouknow; 02-05-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Anyone got any tips for removing cat hair from clothing? I love my cat dearly, but he seems to shed a lot (had him since birth and this is his first winter-spring shedding season) and his hair is getting on literally EVERYTHING.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Questions

Lots of lint rollers !

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You can try putting your clothes through the dryer first before laundering them -- I've heard that gets more hair off than just a normal wash/dry cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I'm going to be moving to Los Angeles in the next month or so, is there anywhere I should avoid? Also, any good studio or efficiency apartment listings I should know about? Thanks!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I am portraying the baddie in a webseries and I'm supposed to have this annoying, high-pitched voice. The problem is, I don't know how to do it without damaging my voice. I want it to have this nasal sound, but it hurts my vocal chords. I've practiced diaphragmatic breathing for years, but I can't do this kind of voice through my diaphragm. Please, help?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merse View Post
    So, I'm going to be moving to Los Angeles in the next month or so, is there anywhere I should avoid? Also, any good studio or efficiency apartment listings I should know about? Thanks!
    Check out listings in Highland Park and Eagle Rock. A lot of people who used to live in Silverlake before it became infested with hipsters and expensive migrated there (if my apartment wasn't rent-controlled, I probably would've moved there, too). What neighborhoods are you considering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Check out listings in Highland Park and Eagle Rock. A lot of people who used to live in Silverlake before it became infested with hipsters and expensive migrated there (if my apartment wasn't rent-controlled, I probably would've moved there, too). What neighborhoods are you considering?
    Well, I was trying to transfer to Culver City or downtown(Westlake), but apparently Target HR moves on geological time, so I'm still waiting. But I've also put in for a promotion, so now I have no idea what neighborhood I'll be in, or if I'll be staying in Sacramento after all. Ugh.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merse View Post
    Well, I was trying to transfer to Culver City or downtown(Westlake), but apparently Target HR moves on geological time, so I'm still waiting. But I've also put in for a promotion, so now I have no idea what neighborhood I'll be in, or if I'll be staying in Sacramento after all. Ugh.
    Back in the late '80s/early '90s, Westlake was heroin central and, although it has definitely improved, it's still a little... sketchy. It's one of the most populated areas in LA (think of a frenzied anthill) and predominantly Latino. It's certainly affordable but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've lived in similar neighborhoods before. Also, bedbugs. Like, MEGA infestations. Some buildings just can't get rid of them.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 04-17-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yikes! Well, thanks for the info. I just applied to some openings in Ventura County, so that looks decent...but once again, this is all contingent on me getting the job. I really appreciate your help!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
    1.) What type of guitar should I be looking at? Acoustic or electric?
    2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
    3.) How dafuq did you do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
    2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
    1. If you're going to be playing alone I think acoustic is probably more fun. Electric requires more kit and investment and always having a plug.
    2. I wouldn't define myself as musically inclined but I used a lot of online tabs and tried to learn simple stuff at first (just a few chords) that still sounded good as a beginner (one example would be Cash's Hurt cover). That way you don't feel so shit and you're less likely to give up.
    3. It seems you already know it but patience. It can be so frustrating at first, but with practice, it will click, and it will be worth it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My husband has, like, 15 guitars and has been playing for nearly 40 years. He told ME to start with acoustic. I tried. MY FUCKING FINGERS HURT A LOT. I guess you eventually build callouses on the fret hand, but until then ... PREPARE FOR PAIN. You can learn to play guitar via YouTube videos if you just want to start with tabs (which is the cheating way to read music).