Thread: Fragility 1.0 Tour Projections Source Tape

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashback8 View Post
    I believe his name was in the credits for either the "Fragility 2.0" special on MTV or in the tour program sold at the American (and European?) shows. He may have been working out of David's studio, or at least working in collaboration with David.

Yeah. This bit me in the ass awhile back. Let's just say that I received a very interesting Betacam tape that a lot of NIN fans would love to see. Unfortunately, even after taking the tape to a place that specializes in difficult transfers, the tape snapped about halfway through. I suppose I could've spent a fortune and tried my luck with some firm in Hollywood that handles even more difficult transfers. As is, the tape was stored in a shed for many years. Not ideal in the least.

(Regarding the tape's contents, I'll just say it's kinda like the older brother of the tape we're discussing. I'd have to dig it out of a box...somewhere in order to provide proof of my story. In any event, the intention was to share the goods. Next time....)
    I'd throw in the pot for helping you get whatever this is restored.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikranax View Post
    I just wanted to say man, thank you for having that mindset. Even though it didn't come to fruition, I still appreciate the thought. Just curious, is it the younger brother of Hate yet older brother of Fragility? Even the mention of something like that is cool.
    You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I'd throw in the pot for helping you get whatever this is restored.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible to get the tape restored. I'm told the tape literally snapped, even with a technician watching to try to ensure that such a thing wouldn't happen. I'm not sure it's possible to fix the tape. Even if the snap could be fixed, who knows what else could happen. At this point, I'd only trust the tape to some top-tier team in Hollywood. I don't know how much they charge for this kind of stuff, assuming they can fix it. I suspect it's far more than I'd be willing to pay, even if I did take donations (which, to be honest, would feel wrong for various reasons).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    At this point, I'd only trust the tape to some top-tier team in Hollywood. I don't know how much they charge for this kind of stuff, assuming they can fix it. I suspect it's far more than I'd be willing to pay, even if I did take donations (which, to be honest, would feel wrong for various reasons).
    I'm about to start a job as a controls engineer at universal studios in Orlando. While I'll be nowhere near the movie production teams (I'll be working on new rides and attractions), once I'm established a bit, I believe I'll have some interface with people that may at least know who I could contact for a personal project like this.

I'll hit you up if that's ever a possibility.

Do you have the specs of the tape?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'm not sure it's possible to fix the tape. Even if the snap could be fixed, who knows what else could happen.
    Assuming the tape's one-sided, you should be able to fix the snap with some scotch tape. Analog FTW! Having said that, you're right to be concerned about what else might go wrong, considering that even happened. My guess is you'd need to sit next to the playback machine with its case off and watch for strains in the media during playback.

This was my biggest concern with the Fragility 1.0 tape I got. I actually bought a HiFi (stereo) VCR years before, with the express purpose of using it to rip VHS tapes in the future, knowing that these players were going away. The first thing I did when I got that Fragility 1.0 tape was put a different tape in the VCR, and the VCR immediately chewed up that tape. Bullet dodged, but I was also irked that this thing I bought for this purpose finally came up to get used, and failed at its job. Eventually I enlisted the assistance of @ItsJustDave and his superior equipment, and that's how I saw the slate with the production company, and incredibly, was able to convince the guy who still ran it to dig through his archives and send me his only copies of the footage on digital betacam. You know .

Anyway - this stuff's not black magic, so much as there aren't as many people who have the equipment and know how to use it.

I would love a PM about the contents of this particular tape!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I'm about to start a job as a controls engineer at universal studios in Orlando. While I'll be nowhere near the movie production teams (I'll be working on new rides and attractions), once I'm established a bit, I believe I'll have some interface with people that may at least know who I could contact for a personal project like this.

I'll hit you up if that's ever a possibility.

Do you have the specs of the tape?
    Thanks. I appreciate it. IIRC, it's a Betacam SP tape in the PAL format.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Assuming the tape's one-sided, you should be able to fix the snap with some scotch tape. Analog FTW! Having said that, you're right to be concerned about what else might go wrong, considering that even happened. My guess is you'd need to sit next to the playback machine with its case off and watch for strains in the media during playback.

This was my biggest concern with the Fragility 1.0 tape I got. I actually bought a HiFi (stereo) VCR years before, with the express purpose of using it to rip VHS tapes in the future, knowing that these players were going away. The first thing I did when I got that Fragility 1.0 tape was put a different tape in the VCR, and the VCR immediately chewed up that tape. Bullet dodged, but I was also irked that this thing I bought for this purpose finally came up to get used, and failed at its job. Eventually I enlisted the assistance of @ItsJustDave and his superior equipment, and that's how I saw the slate with the production company, and incredibly, was able to convince the guy who still ran it to dig through his archives and send me his only copies of the footage on digital betacam. You know .

Anyway - this stuff's not black magic, so much as there aren't as many people who have the equipment and know how to use it.

I would love a PM about the contents of this particular tape!
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. When I got the tape back, the guy said that I was pretty much SOL. Who knows, maybe the firm he represented was far more incompetent than they made themselves out to be. (Wouldn't be the first time that has happened!) He claimed the tech took the case off and was watching, so who knows.

Anyway, I'll send you a PM. The bad news is that I've lost track of the tape over the course of a couple of moves. The good news is that I'm pretty sure I still have it. I'm actually moving again (uggh) pretty soon and will crack open a few boxes as I'm going through everything.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Assuming the tape's one-sided, you should be able to fix the snap with some scotch tape. Analog FTW!
    Sadly, the video heads would be scratched at the splice & that's not an easy repair. You'd have to repack the reel into two cassettes & lose roughly 30 seconds around the break.

I picked up a Sony J-30 to transfer my Digibeta reels, but it's NTSC which doesn't help for any of these PAL tapes.

I can't remember who mentioned working at Universal, but here's an oldie (that I transferred from Digibeta) of my first cable TV job (the studio was on the backlot of Universal Orlando).