Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
I'm basically hamstringing myself by trying to avoid computers here. The reason is my other big hobby which I'm really tiring of now is/was open source software, Linux etc., and I work in IT as a day job, so music making is meant to be a tonic to all that. But I think I'm setting myself up to fail. Plan B is to set up my old laptop as a pure music machine. Hopefully it's powerful enough to do what I want with…
As a web developer I spend all day programming in front of two screens. So it's no wonder that, coming from a background of making music on computers, I worked less and less on music when it meant coming home and sitting in front of two monitors and programming. So I started moving outboard. The Tempest is a dream to program rhythm on. I can do all kinds of fun stuff live on my MS2000. Likewise my humble but effective guitar collection. I've been trying to make music that I can perform without interacting with the computer, which helps bring back the excitement of creating, without the fatigue of sitting in front of a computer even more hours of my day. And when I want to hit record, I interact with Vegas through my ProjectMix IO.

This has forced me to keep my outboard arsenal fairly minimal, which I think helps keep me from diving into the sound-design deep end, which is fun and all, but not as satisfying as recording and finishing a god damn song.

That said, most of what I've been recording recently has been live drums, with my wife on Mandocaster and vocals. I've got one or two songs that use electronics for our little band, but they're not quite ready for prime time.