Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primitive Race

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Primitive Race

So.
    On March 23rd, the following was posted on Twitter: "We're an industrial project by some of your favorite artists. More will be revealed in good time."

Since then, two of the "handful" of members have been revealed: the first, Luc Van Acker, one of the founding members (heh) of Revolting Cocks and, second, Chris Vrenna, creator of Tweaker and former member of NIN, Marilyn Manson and dozens of other bands.
    As I've had some interaction with Vrenna (I interviewed him on my podcast a few months ago) and have a lot of time on my hands, whoever's posting on the band's official Twitter account asked me to spread the word about Primitive Race.

And that's what this is.

At the moment, I only know two things: both members thus far are connected to Metropolis Records (so I wouldn't be surprised if other members happened to be on or affiliated with them also), and that, according to the mystery Twitterer, Rey Roldan knows who they all are.

Personally, I enjoy RevCo and love Tweaker, so Primitive Race is looking pretty intriguing as of right now.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, you can watch the mystery unfold and throw blind conjecture at them on Twitter (@primitiverace) and on Facebook (
    https://www.facebook.com/primitiveraceband).
    They've been revealing members as their number of followers and "likes" increases, so, the more interest you show, the more interesting this'll get.

Thanks for taking the time.

pg

Oh, and they've denied Reznor's involvement, but, he's the only thing connecting Van Acker and Vrenna as far as I can tell, so I'm still not 100% convinced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yup. I'm so excited for this band here! I can't wait find out more from 'em. Today, they announced that Raymond Watts (<Pig>, KMFDM, etc.) is in on it. It honestly just keeps getting better and better. I wrote a post about em a week or so ago that you can check out here:

http://gutterbubbles.blogspot.com/20...tive-race.html

Hopefully more good names come outta this one!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Sounds like the Damage Manual all over. I'm curious to see what they come up with. Interested in hearing some new Watts vocals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Primitive Race

Anyone been following this development?... https://www.facebook.com/primitiveraceband and/or http://www.primitiverace.com/

So far the announced members are Luc Van Acker, Raymond Watts and some guy named Chris Vrenna

It's a interesting approach that they're using to introduce not just the project but it's members; but seems a bit to masturbatory name dropping for me... i.e. how about you let us judge you on your output/product vs your name associations O_o

ps I did have to raise an eyebrow and giggle at their 'Release Date' being, and i quote... "Soon"
    Last edited by anodyne304; 05-01-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yep, I indeed have. I think what they are trying to go for is more early 90s-style industrial, and while I would like to see a revival of that (aggrotech sucks, seriously), it would be better if there was more of a revival coming in from newly-formed bands.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Of course I'd rather a Pig album instead. But if this is what it takes to get Watts to put something out (and something a hell of a lot better than Pigmartyr), then great, bring it on.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Add my name to the list for those who rather a new Pig album. He's supposedly been working on one though. I'm curious to hear what comes from this, but hopefully it doesn't interfere with Pig. Also, I think it's mind boggling just to see these guys even work together. Who would ever have thought you'd hear material with Raymond Watts AND Luc Van Acker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FYI, they have an official site/'landing pad' now... http://www.primitiverace.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Exciting...!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Primitive Race - feat. Raymond Watts, Chris Vrenna, Dave Oglivie and more

Hey, has anyone else heard about this project?

"Superband Primitive Race has released a first teaser via SoundCloud and continues work on the debut album. The band Primitive Race is a growing supergroup, currently consisting of Chris Vrenna (Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, tweaker), Luc Van Acker (Revolting Cocks), Raymond Watts (PIG, Schwein, Schaft, Mekon, former KMFDM), Dave Ogilvie (Skinny Puppy, NIN, Marilyn Manson, Jakalope, Marianas Trench), Erie Loch (Blownload, Exageist, Luxt), Mark Thwaite (Peter Murphy, Gary Numan, Mob Research), Graham Crabb (Pop Will Eat Itself), Chris Kniker (Lords of Acid Producer).

The band's upcoming debut single "Long In The Tooth" will feature remixes from Front Line Assembly, Paul Barker's (Ministry) latest project Bells Into Machines and more. It will also be supported via an official lyric video. For now you can hear the bands teaser below where we added 2 extras."

http://www.side-line.com/news_commen...=50304_0_2_0_C

This might be promising!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i've been following them on twitter for awhile now, and i've held off listening to any teasers. i want to be totally surprised by what they bring to the table when it finally gets here, same thing with Bells Into Machines. both projects have killer lineups and could potentially make some awesome additions to what gets labelled as "industrial" these days. besides, i'm a sucker for anything that includes Raymond Watts and Dave Ogilvie. well, and Chris Vrenna, for that matter.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    We now have...three Primitive Race threads yay!
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...earchid=166851

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    We now have...three Primitive Race threads yay!
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...earchid=166851
    Hahaha... so we do... My bad!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    First video/Track has been released.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    There is no exaggerating how great it is to hear Raymond again. Me likey a bunch.

According to an interview on The Swining, Ray said that a new Pig album was done and recorded, but he wanted to get En Esch involved to help finish it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    There is no exaggerating how great it is to hear Raymond again. Me likey a bunch.

According to an interview on The Swining, Ray said that a new Pig album was done and recorded, but he wanted to get En Esch involved to help finish it.
    F'ing awesome! Had no idea Raymond was working on another Pig offering, it'd been so long I kind of thought he was done. Hopefully it brings more to the table than Pigmata/Pigmartyr ... decent songs but nowhere near the nuance and layering his earlier stuff had. He's still got a lifetime pass from me for his body of work, would love to hear a new album - especially if he got En Esch involved!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    To be fair, pigmartyr/pigmata was aimed to be more accessible. I'm going to assume from the more recent songs, that it will be a legit Pig album rather than a Watts album.

As for the song. Fucking awesome. After all the talk and no substance, the project needed to wow me. I think it did.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the debut album finally came out last night/today on Metropolis' Bandcamp page. I went ahead and downloaded it, and it's okay. kinda suffers from supergroup syndrome where the people involved outshine the actual project and it just turned out kinda.... all right. Not bad but, I kinda would have pirated it first if i'd been able to find it anywhere. oh well *shrug* anybody else give it a listen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought it off iTunes and agree with the "it's OK" assessment. Interesting idea, but I don't know if it really does anything to set itself apart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I had it on preorder from amazon, but cancelled after I heard the first 3 tracks released on the album. Didn't grab me at all like I thought it would, especially the song Graham Crabb does vocals on.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I looked for it on torrent sites this morning when I received the e-mail that it was out, but no luck. Then I went on with my day and forgot about this til I came here now and saw the thread bumped. Decided to give the torrent sites another go, and it was there... boy, am I ever glad I never paid for this. I listened to the first 3 tracks and skimmed the others and I had to turn it off. First song was OK... but nothing after it captured my attention.

The best song from this project was that song they did with Raymond Watts (listening to that now actually). I think this project would have had some wings if Watts was singing on all the songs. Oh well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not real happy I bought this on iTunes, didn't even make it through the whole thing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I started listening to it on Google Play. Definitely not what I was hoping for. I was kind of expecting something along the lines of Pigface.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 08-13-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I started listening to it on Google Play. Definitely not what I was hoping for. I was kinda of expecting something along the lines of Pigface.
    Agreed. To me, it sounds like a generic release on Metropolis. The Long In The Tooth single was promising, and then the album comes out and just is kinda bland.
    And I don't know what the fuck happened with Graham Crabb. Everything that guy has done vocals on for the past 3 years has made me totally cringe. It sucks cuz I love all the old PWEI albums. Haven't had a chance to hear their new one cuz they won't release a digital version and it costs about $30 with shipping for one CD to the states. Fuck that.

Still have high hopes for the Bells Into Machines album tho, whenever that sees the light of day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Primitive Race just released their second album, "Soul Pretender", and having been unimpressed by the first one, let me say: this is MILES ahead of the first. Huge leap forward in sound and substance. Anybody else give it a listen? I'm really digging it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    gotta check it out, crover is drumming on this one, should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I want to check the new album out to hear Chuck Mosely but I really lost whatever taste I had for this band when their organizer/manager/bass player tweeted that he hoped the Chicago Cubs died in a plane crash when they got to the World Series last year. I get it that the guy is from St. Louis and a big Cardinals fan, but fuck, the world is a shitty enough place and you want people to die because of baseball. Fuck that guy.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I gave it a spin yesterday, but nothing really stood out for me.
    There were at least 3 really solid tracks that I go back to still on the first record, but as for this one, it all just seemed to be the same song.
    At least the other record had a variety, or at least it felt that way. Did the other record have multiple singers? I feel like it did, and that's what's different.

Meh, On paper it sounded like this was going to be a killer idea, and I really wanted to like this project, but I just can't get into it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    I want to check the new album out to hear Chuck Mosely but I really lost whatever taste I had for this band when their organizer/manager/bass player tweeted that he hoped the Chicago Cubs died in a plane crash when they got to the World Series last year. I get it that the guy is from St. Louis and a big Cardinals fan, but fuck, the world is a shitty enough place and you want people to die because of baseball. Fuck that guy.
    This guy once came at me on the old ETS because I said something critical about Prong, who he was managing at the time.
    I check out Primitive Race's Youtube channel and he's still doing it - answering back to criticisms about his band. Bleh.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    This guy once came at me on the old ETS because I said something critical about Prong

lol