Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Ultimate reissue:
    Multitracks
    Everything in 5.1 (the main album is going to be anyway, assuming they're not doing only one track in it)
    All the videos
    Appendage in decent quality
    Any kind of essay or notes on the making of it would be neat
    Demos
    Delicious cake

Any or all of those would warrant its existence imo

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs before they started to painfully cutting it down to just two, right? He certainly joked about the specific number of CDs, but that should be pretty good indication that there's shit-ton of material still left unreleased in any form, even including everything you mentioned plus the stuff that ended up on Niggy Tardust

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs...

it was more along the lines: "we had written 40+ songs and unless we went on to release 6 CDs we had to cut" (42? 47? not exact quote)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Fair point about the multi-tracks and cake.

I'd love to have a great-big-hard-back book that highlights the making of the album, recording process, making the video's, album art, lyrics etc..and generally the story behind what is and always will be my favorite album of all time.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs before they started to painfully cutting it down to just two, right?
    That sounds more like a classic TR mindfuck.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I want the vinyl mix on cd.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    But realistically what we're going to get is a reissue of the standard album plus a 5.1 mix

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I honestly wouldn't mind a package similar to the TDS deluxe edition. Full album remastered plus a 5.1 mix, with a third disc containing B-sides (or in this case, the tracks that were left off of the CD version) and demos (more demos than B-sides, obviously). If Trent and Co. decide to bless us with more than that, I'll be thrilled, but if that's all we get, I'll be more than happy.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I want the vinyl mix on cd.
    Me too, but with Appendage added as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Kind of a noob question, but what version of TF is considered the "director's cut" if you will? I know he's commented that the cd was really what everything was designed around, but is that the "preferred" version?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tortfeazor,
    answer is just above your question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Tortfeazor,
    answer is just above your question
    Que? Are you talking about the vinyl mix?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Que? Are you talking about the vinyl mix?
    I think he's implying that the preferred mix is the Vinyl cut + appendage. I'm not sure I agree. Sure, the vinyl has two extra tracks, but appendage, whilst interesting, is clearly filler. I don't have much time for "the new flesh" either, tbh, although I do like 10 miles high.

There are virtually no segues between songs on the vinyl mix, which I think add to the experience rather than detract. It also lacks the "with decay" part of Ripe. I think the decay-less version is certainly interesting, but not preferred, to me at least.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i don't know, ask Ryan the almighty. i've mostly seen people on forums agreeing about it. if you want more songs (Deep? Perfect drug? AATCHB?), then just tell us about it, we don't bite. i've erased my own wishlist long time ago.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    TPD should've been on TDS DE - although Deep NEEDS to be on this, it's the only NIN song on neither a halo nor a seed.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    TPD should've been on TDS DE - although Deep NEEDS to be on this, it's the only NIN song on neither a halo nor a seed.
    Just curious, why do people usually associate TPD more with Downward Spiral than Fragile? Surely the Dave Ogilvie engineering gives it more of the latter's DNA.
    Agreed on Deep, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Kind of a noob question, but what version of TF is considered the "director's cut" if you will? I know he's commented that the cd was really what everything was designed around, but is that the "preferred" version?
    The remaster, hopefully.

As you said, I believe the CD version was supposed to be the main cut. The vinyl's 'alternate versions' of a few songs are mostly just adding a couple of additional loops to fill out the runtime, and of course many of the segues are removed because the tracklist is cut into smaller divisions. The two additional songs on the fifth side were a couple of the album's final outtakes (two of many, allegedly), and were again added because of the contraints of the format: partly to fill out the side's runtime, and partly to provide a more meaningful start and finish to the side. I guess Trent hadn't realised at the time just how obsessive us fans would get over every bit of material he produced, regardless of whether or not he considered it worthy to make the cut.
    I can't remember the story behind Appendage on the cassette variant, I think it was another case of maximising the available storage. The track's essentially a remix by Charlie Clouser; aside from the original Please material I'm not sure how much Trent had to do with it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    TPD came out in 1996 - before even Closure - so in terms of which album it's connected to, it's TDS. In terms of sound, it's nothing like most other NIN, so I don't think you can put it on an album just by ear.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    TPD came out in 1996 - before even Closure - so in terms of which album it's connected to, it's TDS. In terms of sound, it's nothing like most other NIN, so I don't think you can put it on an album just by ear.
    The song was finished in 1996, but it only appeared (be it in film, soundtrack or single form) in '97, close to when work started on Fragile. Seems pretty fair to call it a halfway point chronologically - isn't it more relevant to categorise it based on the people involved? I do agree though that it stands apart from both albums musically.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'd agree it's a halfway point, or even something entirely itself (TPD era?). But Closure is no doubt TDS, and it just gets complicated to start ordering things out of synch.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    ....although Deep NEEDS to be on this.....
    Please NO​! This song has nothing to do with TF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Doesn't TPD appearing on one of the We're In This Together singles render it Fragile era by default? Throwing a previous era's track on a current era's disc doesn't seem like something TR would do. Assuming he had total control over what went onto those singles...

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I say leave out both TPD and Deep and save more space on CD for unreleased stuff!

We'll probably see both songs together anyway when interscope finally decides it's time for greatest hits album.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I say leave out both TPD and Deep and save more space on CD for unreleased stuff!

We'll probably see both songs together anyway when interscope finally decides it's time for greatest hits album.
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    Please NO​! This song has nothing to do with TF.
    Got to think of the fanbase at large though: not everyone buys anything beyond just the albums, it would be rather petty to leave two relatively hard to get songs (if you buy CD albums or don't live in a country where you can easily download) because they're not AS rare as some obscure demo for Starfuckers.

Yes, there will be more Starfuckers, I can feel it in the force. And Starsuckers NEEDS to be on there, because it's awesome.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Just curious, why do people usually associate TPD more with Downward Spiral than Fragile? Surely the Dave Ogilvie engineering gives it more of the latter's DNA.
    Ogilvie had very little to do with the sound of The Fragile; his credit is for "additional engineering" (which, in the case of that record, seems to mean 'engineer on a couple of tracks'). his work was much more prevalent in the TDS era, where his remix work was (comparably) everywhere. the only other major credit he has in the TF era, beyond his "Starfuckers" remix, is for mix engineer on AATCHB.

not to mention the engineers don't usually have much input on how anything sounds, though TR may have approached that divide differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    The vinyl's 'alternate versions' of a few songs are mostly just adding a couple of additional loops to fill out the runtime...
    it's actually the other way around – the CD and cassette versions have edited out the so-called "extended" parts of the vinyl mixes!

"The Perfect Drug" doesn't feel at all like TF until the ending, but the manic energy of the rest of the track fits TDS quite well. it really is quite the connecting track between eras. if it appears on TF deluxe, i will raise an eyebrow, as it wouldn't really fit at all.

but "Deep" would fit just fine. it sounds like "Where is Everybody?" and "No, You Don't" had an abortion. how does that not fit the sound of TF?!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

it's actually the other way around – the CD and cassette versions have edited out the so-called "extended" parts of the vinyl mixes!
    Is this substantiated or supposition?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is this substantiated or supposition?
    It's complicated.
    "Appendage" was added to Please to fill the tape out.

There are a few songs on the vinyl that are extended versions of what you might have on CD -- La Mer, Even Deeper, and maybe Where Is Everybody? However, the vinyl only has "Ripe", there's no "Decay"

There's a quote from TR on the topic of the different formats at NINwiki.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ indeed. and as per TR, my comment is substantiated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trong Rizbox quote on NINwiki
    Simply splitting the sides up didn't work as well this time so we decided to include the other two tracks we had been considering ('10 miles high' and 'the new flesh') as well as use the full unedited versions of all the other songs on the record.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    Please NO​! [Deep] has nothing to do with TF.
    Agreed entirely.
    Last edited by cheddamash; 02-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Considering that Deep came out in between Things Falling Apart and And All That Could Have Been, I wouldn't see its inclusion on the reissue as much of a problem. That's not to say it HAS to be on there, but I wouldn't go apeshit if it was.

As far as The Perfect Drug goes...that's a bit more complicated. I'd love to see it released again in some form, but the reissue doesn't seem like the proper place for it. It exists in a weird time frame all its own. It WAS included on one of the We're In This Together singles though, so perhaps an inclusion wouldn't be so out of place. I doubt it'll be on this release though, especially given Trent's "meh" feelings on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to think TFA remixes get included in 5.1 or possibly some other newly worked remixes