Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I was trying to inject some levity into the situation. The point is that his wife is IN HTDA so how can you avoid talking about the family? (not kids fair enough)

I wasn't even talking about this shit, I came in because people were being obnoxiously called 'weirdos' and stalkeriffic just for wondering if having a family might effect Trent's work ethos. Okay it's off-topic so I'll shut up but why does every thread have to end up in some row or shit-talking somebody in this place?
    Vvvvvv
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^I was trying to inject some levity into the situation. The point is that his wife is IN HTDA so how can you avoid talking about the family? (not kids fair enough)
    Maybe because we're talking about NIN, not HTDA. I can see family talk in the HTDA forum, since he and his wife are both members, but NIN is Trent, not Trent's family.
    Can we get back to speculating about something we don't really know anything about, and not arguing about something that's none of our business? This is getting ridiculous if I have to be a voice of reason.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Whats none of our business? Whether they tour this year? I really dont think anyone's privacy is being violated just because we mention his family as a factor in whether they tour or not. Some of you are being a bit strange about this, nobody is prying or posting personal information that TR hasn't announced publicly (as far as i see, I mentioned that they have a toddler and a new baby, and this might dampen chances of a tour. In what was anyone's privacy violated?)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Can we knock this ^^^^ and VVVV nonsense off, please, and stop editing posts in the past to reply to ones in the future?

Oh I better write something Fragile DE related. Erm, we know Rob is working on the art, but do you think they'll either pull out some unused Carson photos or possibly commission him again?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Can we knock this ^^^^ and VVVV nonsense off, please, and stop editing posts in the past to reply to ones in the future?

Oh I better write something Fragile DE related. Erm, we know Rob is working on the art, but do you think they'll either pull out some unused Carson photos or possibly commission him again?
    I would like to see some of the promo posters from that era, reprinted and put into the DE (example: TDTWWA single poster and the green 9.21.99 The Fragile poster.) Post cards from that era or the Fragility tour might be cool too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Point taken, and I can see how it would be annoying, but I usually use ETS with an iPad and it is a pain in the arse to try and move or faff around with text and quotes without a mouse or copy & paste facilities, trying to put the cursor to a specific point with clumsy fingers if you do something wrong is also a nightmare

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I would like to see some of the promo posters from that era, reprinted and put into the DE (example: TDTWWA single poster and the green 9.21.99 The Fragile poster.) Post cards from that era or the Fragility tour might be cool too.
    The Fragile was my favorite era for art, I would love to see reprints of posters and shirts!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    The Fragile was my favorite era for art, I would love to see reprints of posters and shirts!
    I would have to agree! I also thought The Fragile era had the best live lineup with Danny Lohner, Charlie Clouser, Robin Finck, and Jerome Dillon (although I'd have to say that Dillon and Chris Vrenna are tied for best NIN drummers).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Point taken, and I can see how it would be annoying, but I usually use ETS with an iPad and it is a pain in the arse to try and move or faff around with text and quotes
    I agree it can be awkward for the writer. I'm writing this on an iPhone. However, I think we should optimise for the (hopefully >1) readers. Even an untrimmed quote is ok. Have you tried tapatalk? It makes stuff a little bit better. I was put off by the price but it's really good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    But then I'd be one of those people who have 'sent by tapatalk' after everything they say which is also a bit annoying.

Anyway has anyone seen that David Carson's website has the fact that he's working on The Fragile deluxe in Spring 2012?

http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/t/tag/news/

Looks like it will be getting a PHM style makeover?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-21-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added link

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    But then I'd be one of those people who have 'sent by tapatalk' after everything they say which is also a bit annoying.
    That is indeed extremely annoying but what puzzles me is that isn't a default in the app... those people must have chosen to add that

Anyway has anyone seen that David Carson's website has the fact that he's working on The Fragile deluxe in Spring 2012?

http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/t/tag/news/

Looks like it will be getting a PHM style makeover?
    Thanks for sharing. Awesome!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I hope they don't change the cover though, or at least no more than a "deluxe edition" sticker

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I hope for a thick cloth slipcase like that of AATCHB SE, but black instead of grey and with glossy red logo/title text

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    An email subject from Amazon reads: "Amazon recommends The Fragile..." Needless to say I got super excited and opened it, only to see that it was the regular edition, for 12.99. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I hope for a thick cloth slipcase like that of AATCHB SE, but black instead of grey and with glossy red logo/title text
    That would be awesome!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I think you can turn off the "posted from Tapatalk" thing. I have posted from that app a couple of times, and I'm posting from it now, so if my memory on the topic is wrong, that will be appended to the end of my message.

I personally have put any notion of The Fragile coming out on the same back burner as the NIN mercy refresh. If it happens - cool. But I am no longer actively thinking about it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess I always assumed there's some label bullshit behind any delay.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I can't even begin to imagine how much crap red tape must be involved in this, since I imagine the rights are joint owned by Interscope or whoever they are now. The annoying thing is, this is the deluxe edition that I really want, but the record company might force compromises in quality and of course, some of the money will go to the record label too. Still, c'est la vie

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    NIN mercy refresh?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I dunno... this is pretty much just easy money for the label. I would venture more that TR's 50 million projects, babies, and perfectionism get in the way. Blaming the label seems like kind of a copout, especially when Iovine is singing Reznor's praises elsewhere.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think there's a good possibility that it all comes down to just how deluxe Interscope is willing to allow this to get. Let's not forget that The Fragile performed very poorly in the charts after its first week, so maybe they aren't too excited to pour funds, time and resources into a really amazing reissue if they fear similar sales this time out. As we speak, they are probably arguing with TR about how many different editions to make and how much they should cost.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I think there's a good possibility that it all comes down to just how deluxe Interscope is willing to allow this to get. Let's not forget that The Fragile performed very poorly in the charts after its first week, so maybe they aren't too excited to pour funds, time and resources into a really amazing reissue if they fear similar sales this time out. As we speak, they are probably arguing with TR about how many different editions to make and how much they should cost.
    I feel like very little work is actually required on their end, and it's all up to how much freedom they want to give Trent.

or it could be finished and they're just waiting for the HTDA album to be finished for a combined release.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    NIN mercy refresh?
    Yeah I wondered that, what the hell is a NIN mercy refresh?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Fragile is probably the only album I would buy a huge/expensive deluxe version of...especially if vinyl is included. TF is the only main album that I don't have on vinyl.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I do not know if this is the right thread to ask this question, I guess not but I also do not know if it justifies a new one.

My brother is writing an ongoing series for a magazine about under- and overrated albums. Next one will be why The Fragile is underrated.
    I gave him a lot to do with but I seem to lose the point and go all psychological about Trent.

Can some of you give some ideas on why it's underrated?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    The Fragile is probably the only album I would buy a huge/expensive deluxe version of...especially if vinyl is included. TF is the only main album that I don't have on vinyl.
    It's also the only one which differs substantially on vinyl.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    So I do not know if this is the right thread to ask this question, I guess not but I also do not know if it justifies a new one.

My brother is writing an ongoing series for a magazine about under- and overrated albums. Next one will be why The Fragile is underrated.
    I gave him a lot to do with but I seem to lose the point and go all psychological about Trent.

Can some of you give some ideas on why it's underrated?
    long story short, it was considered a disappointment after the downward spiral. there was so much hype around the fragile--- tons of press, a well received VMA performance, ads everywhere, and when it dropped, it came off as dense and uniniviting. not enough hit potential, dissonant, sprawling, a lot of music over lyrics, etc. while it's my favorite release by far, i completely understand why some of the kids who loved the fast & dirty crunch of downward spiral and expected more naughty commercial singles couldn't hang with that sort of opus. it's many hardcore fan's favorite release, but a disappointment to the general public, and quickly slipped down the charts.

speaking of, i found a second copy of the vinyl on a wall in NYC for a mere $100. liberated it for a friend who stupidly sold his for $15 to a second hand shop many moons ago. i almost feel as if he doesn't deserve a second chance. still have mine, got it for $17.99 at hot topic :P.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You lucky SoB lol. I'm hoping for a super duper deluxe re-release that includes vinyl as I said. I'm going to hold off on buying one on eBay until we find out about this. I'd rather give my money to Trent than someone on eBay.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So I am high right now, The Fragile is one the main albums I put on when I just want to lose myself in the music, the perfect balance of instrumental and traditional songs. I cannot wait for this re-issue to drop already. I need to smoke some "train wreck" and re-live this album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To frankieteardrop: Thanks, this sums it up very well. It's greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    long story short, it was considered a disappointment after the downward spiral. there was so much hype around the fragile--- tons of press, a well received VMA performance, ads everywhere, and when it dropped, it came off as dense and uniniviting. not enough hit potential, dissonant, sprawling, a lot of music over lyrics, etc. while it's my favorite release by far, i completely understand why some of the kids who loved the fast & dirty crunch of downward spiral and expected more naughty commercial singles couldn't hang with that sort of opus. it's many hardcore fan's favorite release, but a disappointment to the general public, and quickly slipped down the charts.

speaking of, i found a second copy of the vinyl on a wall in NYC for a mere $100. liberated it for a friend who stupidly sold his for $15 to a second hand shop many moons ago. i almost feel as if he doesn't deserve a second chance. still have mine, got it for $17.99 at hot topic :P.
    As did I when it first came out on vinyl That pretty much sums it up for why is was a commercial let down. It was still moderately successful though. It went double platinum and was critically acclaimed. I also knew a lot of people back in the day that owned the Downward Spiral, but really would only listen to Closer or Hurt. They just didn't "get" the rest of the album. But yeah, The Fragile is my favorite too...can't wait for the re-issue!