Thread: Harvey Weinstein

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I agree. It’s a slow process but we need to do it. However, women can’t (and shouldn’t be expected to) do it alone; men have to speak out and put their own heads on the block to denounce this as unacceptable, too. The men need to add their voice. And boys need to be taught that this behavior is reprehensible.

We all also need to note that the VAST MAJORITY of Weinstein victims did NOT seek or get money. And the ones who did get money most likely would have MUCH preferred that it never happened.

And the press has known about this for years: https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-10-...pt-allegations
    Last edited by allegro; 10-15-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I agree. It’s a slow process but we need to do it. However, women can’t (and shouldn’t be expected to) do it alone; men have to speak out and put their own heads on the block to denounce this as unacceptable, too. The men need to add their voice. And boys need to be taught that this behavior is reprehensible.

We all also need to note that the VAST MAJORITY of Weinstein victims did NOT seek or get money. And the ones who did get money most likely would have MUCH preferred that it never happened.

And the press has known about this for years: https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-10-...pt-allegations
    Values are values, and they go beyond gender. It doesn't matter if our kids are boys or girls, they should have a clear understanding of boundaries, respect, appretiaton, sympathy, empathy, support, and love for each other and everyone around them.

People should respect people, regardless of their gender.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Values are values, and they go beyond gender. It doesn't matter if our kids are boys or girls, they should have a clear understanding of boundaries, respect, appretiaton, sympathy, empathy, support, and love for each other and everyone around them.

People should respect people, regardless of their gender.
    Well yeah but it doesn't currently work like that, unfortunately. I think we'll get there but it might still be a few generations before there's a dent in amount of overall harassment. We have an admitted assailant in the white house right now. The president is the poster child of misogyny. It was part of his campaign schtick. So i still think we have a long way to go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Well yeah but it doesn't currently work like that, unfortunately. I think we'll get there but it might still be a few generations before there's a dent in amount of overall harassment. We have an admitted assailant in the white house right now. The president is the poster child of misogyny. It was part of his campaign schtick. So i still think we have a long way to go.
    No doubt about that! But the fact he is a male is irrelevant. What matters is these people's disgusting and sick behaviour, which has nothing to do with their own gender and more to do with their sociopathic/psychopathic behaviour, how they treat others and their complete inability to deal with power.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    No doubt about that! But the fact he is a male is irrelevant. What matters is these people's disgusting and sick behaviour, which has nothing to do with their own gender and more to do with their sociopathic/psychopathic behaviour, how they treat others and their complete inability to deal with power.
    No, the fact that he is a male is extremely relevant. To say that it's not is like shouting "all lives matter" after another unarmed black guy gets murdered by a police officer (and if you don't understand what's wrong with, then I don't think I'm going to be able to get through to you).

Men are the overwhelming majority of perpetrators of sexual assault / harassment / rape. Can guys be victims of it? Sure. But I'm smart enough to know that we are far and away the cause of the problem. It would be beyond tone deaf to ignore the sex of someone when discussing stuff like this.

Let me be blunt: when it comes to sexual assault as a whole: men are the problem.

The justice system itself needs work (it's flaws with the system that often discourage women from reporting things). But that wouldn't even be an issue if men would get it in their heads that women are not objects there to be used and manipulated. There needs to be a complete and drastic shift in our cultural values, specifically, with how men treat people. I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard a woman make a lewd comment about a guy she found attractive. I'd be well into the thousands if I was still keeping track of how many times a guy has made a lewd comment about a woman he found attractive. So I'll say it again for those in the back: when discussing an abuser, point out that he is male is extremely relevant.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    No, the fact that he is a male is extremely relevant. To say that it's not is like shouting "all lives matter" after another unarmed black guy gets murdered by a police officer (and if you don't understand what's wrong with, then I don't think I'm going to be able to get through to you).

Men are the overwhelming majority of perpetrators of sexual assault / harassment / rape. Can guys be victims of it? Sure. But I'm smart enough to know that we are far and away the cause of the problem. It would be beyond tone deaf to ignore the sex of someone when discussing stuff like this.

Let me be blunt: when it comes to sexual assault as a whole: men are the problem.

The justice system itself needs work (it's flaws with the system that often discourage women from reporting things). But that wouldn't even be an issue if men would get it in their heads that women are not objects there to be used and manipulated. There needs to be a complete and drastic shift in our cultural values, specifically, with how men treat people. I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard a woman make a lewd comment about a guy she found attractive. I'd be well into the thousands if I was still keeping track of how many times a guy has made a lewd comment about a woman he found attractive. So I'll say it again for those in the back: when discussing an abuser, point out that he is male is extremely relevant.
    It isn't relevant, because his actions are not defined by his gender, just as they are not defined by his race, religion, the colour of his skin or eyes, nationality, etc.

I won't debate about the whole objectifying women and blaming men for everything bad that happens to them. Blaming men for this is taking the power away from women and putting them in the same position as children, and I believe that's awfully wrong.

You make a lot of points that have absolutely no direct connection with this case. Lewd comments and all that stuff... I could make a similar case about money talk and gold-digging whores, but that would be considered awful, sexist, an infantile generalization, mysoginist, and what not. But apparently reverse sexism and stupid generalizations are fine and acceptable when the ones being trashed are men.

All we have in common as men is the XY. Everything else is just generalizarions and bs made up to fit an agenda.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It isn't relevant, because his actions are not defined by his gender, just as they are not defined by his race, religion, the colour of his skin or eyes, nationality, etc.

I won't debate about the whole objectifying women and blaming men for everything bad that happens to them. Blaming men for this is taking the power away from women and putting them in the same position as children, and I believe that's awfully wrong.

You make a lot of points that have absolutely no direct connection with this case. Lewd comments and all that stuff... I could make a similar case about money talk and gold-digging whores, but that would be considered awful, sexist, an infantile generalization, mysoginist, and what not. But apparently reverse sexism and stupid generalizations are fine and acceptable when the ones being trashed are men.

All we have in common as men is the XY. Everything else is just generalizarions and bs made up to fit an agenda.
    Are you mental?

We live in a world where the system is set up to protect men who abuse more than it is to protect the women who are abused.

And you want to have this discussion without bringing gender into it?? Tough shit, it's part of it.