Thread: Anthony Fantano, the internet's busiest white supremacist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    actions speak louder than intentions.

you can be married to someone who's black and still be racist (not saying he is, i'm just saying it's possible).

if someone comes on your podcast (which you later edit) and you don't feel the need to dissuade them from "humorously" discussing the rape and beating of someone, nor do you feel the need to excise it from the final product, then you're contributing to rape culture and you're part of the problem. for all the other shit that he did that may or may not have been satirical, this to me stands out as one of the most fucked up. i noticed that none of you who are defending him have addressed it since i brought it up before. how is this an ok thing to do?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

you can be married to someone who's black and still be racist (not saying he is, i'm just saying it's possible).

if someone comes on your podcast (which you later edit) and you don't feel the need to dissuade them from "humorously" discussing the rape and beating of someone, nor do you feel the need to excise it from the final product, then you're contributing to rape culture and you're part of the problem. for all the other shit that he did that may or may not have been satirical, this to me stands out as one of the most fucked up. i noticed that none of you who are defending him have addressed it since i brought it up before. how is this an ok thing to do?
    No one's defending it because it is fucked up. There's no excuse for it, and I think it was a major misstep, and he should be criticized for it. That said, I don't think he's racist or alt-right, considering that he's has been openly against both, and this article is trying to paint him as that. If this article was about that one incident, I would have no issue with it. It's the rest of the article that I think is a problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I agree. I think the combined actions of being married to a black woman and promoting music by black artists speak incredibly loudly.

I seriously doubt that, but ok. Either way its not like who he is married to is the only evidence against his being a racist.

I've made a rape joke before. Not proud of it, wasn't funny, but I'm not a rapist, given that I've never raped anyone. You might say my actions (having not raped anyone my entire life) speak louder than my intentions (to make someone laugh via a stupid, poorly thought out joke) or words (as the saying typically goes.)

You can certainly say "actions speak louder than words/intentions", and I completely agree, but you should apply it evenly in all areas of the discussion. You're saying his inaction (not speaking up against rape humor in the podcast) being tacit support of rape culture, is more telling as to who he is than his other actions (having a black wife, supporting black artists, also not raping people) Seems like you're just applying value to the points that back up your side of the discussion and not looking at the whole picture, singling out one lone inaction and disregarding others.

And if we follow your logic, and say he should have spoke up against the rape humor (which I don't disagree with, I just don't think not saying anything makes him guilty by association) with his WORDS, would those words speak louder than his other ACTIONS? You know like how he doesn't rape people, making him by definition not a rapist? Or what if he was a rapist, but he spoke out against rape culture on his podcast, would that be ok? Of course not. My point is if you're going to place the most value on people's actions (which I 100% agree with) than you need to do it across the board. He's not a rapist, and the simple act of not speaking out against it once doesn't make him a supporter of "rape culture".

You can't say actions speak loud and then say that his lack of words on the subject is one action that speaks louder than all his other cumulative actions that indicate otherwise.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 10-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.