Thread: What, in your view, occurs subjectively after death?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What, in your view, occurs subjectively after death?

Personally, I subscribe to the doctrine of generic subjective continuity (as advanced by Thomas Clark)/existential passage (Wayne Stewart), which can be conceived of as a secular version of Buddhist doctrines of reincarnation, scrubbed of notions of karma or the different Hells and Heavens that populate certain Buddhist traditions. The theory, roughly, is as follows.

1. Nothingness cannot exist for the subject. The vulgar notions of "eternal blackness" or darkness or silence that most atheists posit requires the existence of an eternal soul to experience this state, the existence of which I do not accept (much of Western materialism has imported this notion of the soul over wholesale from Christianity).
    2. Spiritual reincarnation, of the kind advanced by Hinduism and certain other Buddhist traditions, is equally fallacious, because there is no core soul or 'self' to incarnate.
    3. If nothingness cannot be experienced, then it follows that there must be a next experience for the subject. This requires some parsing: I do not think there is anything continual, anything retained in this except for experience. No karma, no past-life memories, no identity. Nothing continual except the subjective first-person perception of Self, a qualia which is innate to the universe.

This is close to notions of open individualism (Daniel Kolak, Arnold Zuboff), but I am agnostic as to the nature of the experiencer - open individualists maintain that there is only one subjectivity in existence which experiences itself as all things; I do not believe that this is demonstrable. It is also not dissimilar practically from Alan Watts' view that "energy can neither be created nor destroyed, so it goes elsewhere", except in my view it isn't any sort of energy that is transferred, but a repetition of the ontological patterns of being.

What seems most likely to me is that the universe will at some future point duplicate itself, whether through Poincare recurrence (if the acceleration of the universe should ever cease) or through a spontaneous reduction in entropy after the heat death of the universe - there is some evidence now for repeated iterations of the universe, in the form of remnant cosmic background radiation with no explicable source - to an arbitrarily identical degree necessary to reproduce a biologically and temporally identical iteration of me, and that my subjective experience, stripped of memory, will be reproduced in this new universe. (I also hold that, if the universe should cycle endlessly, it may be possible that I will find myself in an indeterminate universe, and a version of me with an identical history up to some particular point will be produced, at which point its history will branch off). This would be, basically, analogous to Nietzsche's Eternal Return.

I am not, however, completely adverse to the more random conceptions of radically different experiences suggested by proponents of generic subjective continuity/existential passage, assuming that 'my" experience does not require a biologically and temporally analogous body to exist in, though I think, if this subjective experience can be experienced in forms radically dissimilar to my own, that nothing can be said about the exact nature of what the next experience "I" feel after death will be.

Suggested reading supporting comparable hypotheses:

Tom Clark - Death, Nothingness and Subjectivity
    Wayne Stewart - Metaphysics By Default
    Reddit - Open Individualism (this concept makes metaphysical claims I am not prepared to advance - that there is only a single subjective experiencer in the entire cosmos - and is closer to idealistic panpsychism than materialistic naturalism, but it's close enough to be relevant)

Recommended viewing:

Last edited by Einzige; 08-30-2020 at 07:21 PM.