Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
NOTE: I copied this from the "This Isn't the Place" thread since I started to diverge from the song itself into general ARG territory.

I sort of take the lyric "I thought we had more time" as a meditation on the fact that, when Year Zero was released a decade ago, though things looked rather grim, they didn't look this grim.

Now we actually have people really pitching the creche schools that were part of the fictional ARG; there's really a "Syria - before and after" (from the comic exhibit, I think); the U.S. president wants to demolish pretty much any and all climate protections; he and a large number of people who believe in him want to build a wall between countries and dole out the kind of tax cuts that would make this not so much an interesting artistic depiction of an idea as a sad rendering of a reality; there's a huge rise of quasi-fascist movements around Europe...

Year Zero was supposed to be a work of speculative fiction. It seems far less speculative just ten years later. I'll bet he, as author, thought we had more time before his speculative fiction became less outlandish and something more akin to next year's journalism. I did, too.

I know it's not truly Year Zero-level bad yet but...it ain't exactly lookin' good.
This is spot-the-fuck-on with what I believe.