Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1614

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    I keep on seeing this one being mentioned but haven't seen anyone point this out yet:
    The marks look like distorted copies of the marks in the "Anxiety" gauge. The first group would be from .4 - .6, the gap is from .6 to the indicator, the second group is the marks after the indicator.

Also: I still don't believe there's an ARG to be found.

The sawtooth pattern is on the journal aslo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Has Anyone here ordered the journal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    unfortunately my hopes on this ARG have gone cold until the promotional stunts for the next EP start (or at least the tour gets moving a bit more). i think we won't be getting any clues for a while, but if trent really takes this as seriously as we're hoping he'll take, the promotion for the final EP will be a ride, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh - and definitely there's something up with those marks. it's just too weird there's the exact same mark in two distinct artworks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Does anyone here have expertise or know someone who can help with deciphering the video? Someone who understands video scramble and other encoding? I'd think a pro could size it up and recognize what technique is being used.
    kind of like when an audio tape it analyzed and cleaned up in crime investigation to identify the speaker and what's being said
    This may be nothing, but it reminds me a lot of a fucked up zoetrope. Like if an animated image or video were split into individual frames and then placed in a sequence. Although, of course here, those individual moments are utterly unrecognisable.

I imagine that there'll be plenty of pareidolia surrounding this topic until someone figures out what the hell we're supposed to do with the video.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i noticed the resemblance there too.
    being new to these boards and still negotiating how they work and trying to wrap my head around all of the ARG talk, etc... i guess i need to go back to school for some re-edumacating to keep up with you all...
    btw, there was an image somewhere and the words polybius cipher were used; out of curiosity was the nihilist or the rail fence cipher attempted for decode on this image?
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-22-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: fucked it up again

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtapt View Post
    The sawtooth pattern is on the journal aslo
    Yeah, almost as if it's a sigil to mark things associated with this trilogy of EP's...
    (which is why I don't think they have some deep secret about them.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesitation_Marks View Post
    Has Anyone here ordered the journal?
    I'll bite

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Another movie thought... Butterfly Effect, where the main character (Ashton Kutcher) kept purposely returning to the past to fix things, but every time he found himself in a present where something else was terribly wrong, until he decided to not be born at all. And it was revealed this happened to his mother before and he was not "meant" to be alive, and his father had the same ability and was locked in a mental hospital.
    (love this film)

As for the control panel, true this is not powerful digital computer, so what it is, who built it, for what... how would future quantum computers look, with them having all the states at the same time?
    Last edited by Substance242; 07-22-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtapt View Post
    I'll bite
    I did, also. After some thought. I have the Fragile notebook, and it was lonely.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Does anyone here have expertise or know someone who can help with deciphering the video? Someone who understands video scramble and other encoding? I'd think a pro could size it up and recognize what technique is being used.
    kind of like when an audio tape it analyzed and cleaned up in crime investigation to identify the speaker and what's being said
    Something else that occurred to me. It looks like the video was initially subjected to some kind of digital corruption due to the way it's broken up into blocks, but the final product looks somewhat analogue, as though it was maybe recorded onto tape and then gone through some kind of destructive process, perhaps in the same manner as the multi-generation ending of The Background World.

The image quality reminds me very much of some of the first television images, which were created in 30-lines by the Baird company. An example of this can be found . There's also apparently a converting contemporary TV (then) into 30-line and recorded onto audio cassette. This may be of no use but it does show that this sort of degradation was probably analogue at some stage.
    Last edited by katara; 07-22-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    I did, also. After some thought. I have the Fragile notebook, and it was lonely.
    My fragile one went missing. ;(

But if either of you find anything interesting tied to it make sure to hit us up. Be a really funny place to hide a secret

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I think the machine printed out this oddly formatted text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post

There has to be something there!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hold it real far away and turn to the side. You can make out two letter. All the spacing of the letter are the same.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    Hold it real far away and turn to the side. You can make out two letter. All the spacing of the letter are the same.
    I see it... but they don't look like letters to me just shapes. Maybe like those letter symbols that have been posted a few times?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I feel like the lines that everyone are talking about on all the artwork and the machine might be lines created by the machine, something like a lie detector test does. Maybe measuring a meter

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

No need to over think things. This “machine” is the toaster Trent uses to heat his pop-tarts in the morning. The EP is about the time it was on the fritz and overheated the pop-tart, causing burns to his tongue and blistering the roof of his mouth. We’ve all been there, sucks a fat one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only read the last 20 pages of this, but the e-mail at the bottom of amplifychaos.com is just a dead link.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
    I work for the government (well state government) believe me they are all about saving money and cutting corners and in a dystopian future they may not have the ability anymore. Maybe some event has wiped out modern day computers and analog is all that is left.
    I work for the Department of Defense, more specifically, the Army. Everything is digital and we rely on computers and mobile phones. Rarely are things printed, bounded, kept on a bookshelf. Back in the 80s that was the norm, but nowadays, no way. If the power goes out, networks are down, email isn't working, nothing gets done. If something was to wipe out our networks, yeah, that would be catastrophic. You've seen it happen at airports, so imagine it on a larger scale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post

What's this from? Something to do with Fyf festival I assume?

It looks awfully like Morse code on there. At least --..-..- at the top (and probably more, but it's hard to make out in the scan; maybe .-..-.). There also looks to be -.-- (Y) towards the bottom right.
    Last edited by Malashaan; 07-22-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malashaan View Post
    What's this from? Something to do with Fyf festival I assume?
    It's the official announcement posted by the NIN Twitter account a few months ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    People who don't use Echoing the Sound asked me to consolidate info for them, so I did using mostly this site but also, reddit, social media tips, and my own findings. I just popped them into a Google doc, so if you have anything to add or change just drop a comment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...njOBzeU5Q/edit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    It's the official announcement posted by the NIN Twitter account a few months ago.
    Thanks, found it. The first part (--..-..-) could be "mix" or "meet it," or if where it starts to get blurry is three dots, it could be "meet us."

In fact, I just noticed there appears to be some more in the bottom left near where it says Fyf the second time. Taking the top stuff, then bottom left, then bottom right (and making some guesses at what the less than clear symbols are and trying different combinations of where the breaks between letters are) potentially gives:

-- . . - ..- ... -. . -..- - .- -

which is "meet us next at"

That is certainly a plausible reading of what is there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    I work for the Department of Defense, more specifically, the Army. Everything is digital and we rely on computers and mobile phones. Rarely are things printed, bounded, kept on a bookshelf. Back in the 80s that was the norm, but nowadays, no way. If the power goes out, networks are down, email isn't working, nothing gets done. If something was to wipe out our networks, yeah, that would be catastrophic. You've seen it happen at airports, so imagine it on a larger scale.
    In russian army we have these old soviet analog machines made of shit and sticks that looks like the "Unit K" on the AD cover (or some cool 60s modular synthesizers). Just saying. These machines are heavy as fuck. We once we commanded to move one of these to another floor of the "top secret building" i shouldn't talk about and oh god that was an impossible quest. Well, whatever. Just remembered this from my good old army days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So the in the group [NIИ] Our Иothing [NIИ] on FB may possibly be onto something in The Background World spectogram They say it's about 1:40 . When it's pointed out what is there is certainly noticeable. Not sure if it's actually anything though.

-Someone suggested it could be 10110 which comes out to .22 in bianary. (Which I double checked)
    -Another suggestion was 13118. Possibly January 31st 2018.

Last edited by Hesitation_Marks; 07-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    /insert funny story here:
    As I just typed about my dream, I paused and looked at the wall behind monitor and realized there are repeated "K" letters. Freaky, what is this matrix trying to tell me?? :-) Don't worry, I'm OK, I am in a room which is not painted yet (new house) and it's just some marks on the fabric. Or, IS IT?? ;-) Strange morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been thinking a lot about the physical component for NTAE. Why the weird powder. I'm assuming that each physical component for the 3 EPs will be used together to give more insight into the story.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Does this description of Bleedthrough's concept sound familiar to anyone right now?

The initial concept of the album was an exploration of “loss and possible discovery of self, along with alternate layers of reality and perception set inside a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from; with lots of feedback”. Around this time mysterious quotes and binary codes appeared on the NIN website, including a passage from the book The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin, containing the phrase "bleed-through".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice that you went there.