Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: St. Vincent

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Agreed with everyone. I was really hoping for an album full of bangers but instead its more or less a continuation of the self titled sound with a bit more of a darker edge. Overall I still enjoy it much much more than Daddy's Home.

It's pretty neat how much influence TR&AR clearly have on this album though. The second track really sounds like Trent wrote it with her. I can even perfectly imagine his voice singing background vocals on it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    "Big Time Nothing" lyric video
    This is the god damn jam

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, this is a really good album. I thought every album post Actor was kind of middling and I didn't care for self titled 10 years ago, but this slaps. There's a lot of variety here that I'm loving.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "All Born Screaming" is exactly the course correction we needed after (white collar)-Daddy's Home. I think the song "Powers Out" could be put at the end for a better sequence or just removed off the album. Otherwise, fantastic. The first three songs encompass her entire range, perfect 1 2 3 punch, that.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    "All Born Screaming" is exactly the course correction we needed after (white collar)-Daddy's Home. I think the song "Powers Out" could be put at the end for a better sequence or just removed off the album. Otherwise, fantastic. The first three songs encompass her entire range, perfect 1 2 3 punch, that.
    Curious, why would you remove Powers Out? Just not feeling it? I thought it was one of the stand out tracks.

This record is very good to my ears. No skips for me. And since you mention Daddy's Home, why exactly do people not dig that one as much?

In truth, I slept on her last couple records. I have no idea why because I loved S/T back when it came out. I went back and listened to all the stuff I missed and was fucking blown away by how solid it all is, and this one might be the best record I've heard this year which says a lot because it's been a good year for music so far.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    And since you mention Daddy's Home, why exactly do people not dig that one as much?

For me, it felt like the album never gelled at any point ; I got what she was trying to do, and I liked that she was trying it, but the landing didn't stick.

There's something that remains extremely mysterious to me in music, where a song/album will be good, but never make my ears prick. And I know, somehow, that it lacks just a little something, a spark, a push, to make it great. All Born Screaming sounds better to me than Daddy's Home, but that's because I'm way more familiar with that style and sound. But here again, it feels like the songs never really lift off like they should, or even like they think they do. "Broken man" is a perfect example, it builds up until it hits the ceiling, but... I find the ceiling is quite low, somehow ? It roars, but politely.

I find the album pleasant, it's cool. But there's nothing here, music or lyrics, that elicit a real emotional response. I always have a feeling that she's never quite daring enough, never going all in.