Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Want to get to this show badly. Hoping they come to Cleveland for the tour next year.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @swykk:
    lots of water, and some fruit snacks or protein bars in pocket, some motrin (start the night before and follow recommendations on bottle), an ankle support wrap (sold at grocery stores usually same isle as vitamins and aspirin), and most importantly REALLY GOOD shoes that have already been broken in...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I'm more than a bit concerned about how my dumb body is going to hold up at an all day likely hot outdoor show (injured my ankle recently but it seems to be healing; neuropathy is the real bastard) but fuck it, I'm in anyway. Excited to see Ministry and New Order for the first time and the ninth time for NIN. Would be happy to do a meet up with ETS people too. Let me know.
    I'm right there with you. I have been healing from this surgery pretty well. I'll be 3 months from the day of. I got some dumb virus the last few days, and I feel like I took a few steps back in healing. I still want to go for the same reasons as you. Thinking about wearing the ets shirt I bought.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichalvindore View Post
    @swykk:
    lots of water, and some fruit snacks or protein bars in pocket, some motrin (start the night before and follow recommendations on bottle), an ankle support wrap (sold at grocery stores usually same isle as vitamins and aspirin), and most importantly REALLY GOOD shoes that have already been broken in...

I have most of these things covered. Thank you for the suggestions and hope to see you there.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    What are the odds of New Order being on a different stage, and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    What are the odds of New Order being on a different stage, and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?
    At Lollapalooza, they were on exact opposite sides of the festival. The crowd not waiting for The Killers all fled after New Order, because it was immediately before NIN. The crowd seemed to clear out from right before NIN, too. We all did a big crisscross. I am hoping that this was a lesson to organizers. I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by mostlymad; 08-03-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?
    I brought this question up in the live discussion thread. I would assume if they do an extra show it will be on Thursday or Monday night. Maybe Wednesday night, though. I would be surprised if they did a show on one of the other two festival nights.
    Edit: if they even can do a show on one of the other festival nights? Wouldn't that be written into their contract with the festival that they can't conflict, or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magnolia; 08-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    At Lollapalooza, they were on exact opposite sides of the festival. The crowd not waiting for The Killers all fled after New Order, because it was immediately before NIN. The crowd seemed to clear out from right before NIN, too. We all did a big crisscross. I am hoping that this was a lesson to organizers. I guess we'll see.
    I'm strongly considering going to this and want to be able to get onto the rail again, so ultimately if it means missing half of the acts I'm interested in to do it, I'll do it, but New Order is the only other band on the list that is a must-see for me -- they're absolute legends, I've never seen them and randomly buying a CD of Substance helped form my taste in electronic music at an early age.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm strongly considering going to this and want to be able to get onto the rail again, so ultimately if it means missing half of the acts I'm interested in to do it, I'll do it, but New Order is the only other band on the list that is a must-see for me -- they're absolute legends, I've never seen them and randomly buying a CD of Substance helped form my taste in electronic music at an early age.
    I wish you luck with rail. I'm not going to try that this year. Too close to the surgery. I really want to see them and Saul Williams on top of NIN, so I might just do a wander, like I did with Lollapalooza. I got good spots then. I hope it's the same this time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I have most of these things covered. Thank you for the suggestions and hope to see you there.
    well i broke down and booked a room. it will be a 31 hr drive one way. i will still need a last minute ticket, lol

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    well i broke down and booked a room. it will be a 31 hr drive one way. i will still need a last minute ticket, lol
    a 31 hour ONE-WAY drive? holy fuck. no way in hell that trip is cheaper than round trip flights from virtually any point a to b in the states.

unless you wanted a serious roadtrip.

good luck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    a 31 hour ONE-WAY drive? holy fuck. no way in hell that trip is cheaper than round trip flights from virtually any point a to b in the states.

unless you wanted a serious roadtrip.

good luck.
    actually driving is cheaper. did the math and roundtrip air plus the 25 min ride (cabbie, etc) from/to midway airport. driving is cheaper..
    i'll have to see how finances go in order to take the flight vs driving. i still have to buy a ticket to the show.
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 08-03-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I'd guess Trent will want to hang out and see QOTSA on Saturday but Sunday? Sunday is probable. I'm personally hoping for The Riv.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Chicago is a big Foodie town, and last time T & M were here in Chicago they ate at a few of our Foodie restaurants. And with four kiddos, there are a ton of Chicago things to do. So, who knows how long they'll hang out with no tour ahead of them.
    hey, do you guys have an ethiopian restaurant? i love ethiopian food. they are all over the place in seattle, wa and a cpl in portland, oregon. used to visit when in those towns.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

What about the possibility of riot fest hosting a nin show a day or two before the festival like panorama just did with Tame Impala?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    actually driving is cheaper. did the math and roundtrip air plus the 25 min ride (cabbie, etc) from/to midway airport. driving is cheaper..
    i'll have to see how finances go in order to take the flight vs driving. i still have to buy a ticket to the show.
    ... but how much is your time worth?

edit: sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. FLY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
    Last edited by kel; 08-03-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i see ponchos in RIOT FEST merch as well as an item allowed into venue. what are the chances of it raining that weekend?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have bad news for everyone. my friend Buck, who does all the booking for Riot Fest, has assured me that there will be no NIN show outside of their performance at Riot Fest.

i'm pretty bummed about it, but there's not much that can be done.

@Eichalvindore what are the chances of it raining where YOU live that weekend? there's no way to know until we get closer to the date. the weather in chicago is more fickle than me in a record store.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i see ponchos in RIOT FEST merch as well as an item allowed into venue. what are the chances of it raining that weekend?
    I think it was a show in 2006 where I was at rail and people were throwing water everywhere. I came out of that one soaked. It was inside.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have bad news for everyone. my friend Buck, who does all the booking for Riot Fest, has assured me that there will be no NIN show outside of their performance at Riot Fest.

@Eichalvindore what are the chances of it raining where YOU live that weekend? there's no way to know until we get closer to the date. the weather in chicago is more fickle than me in a record store.
    Is there something contractually that tells him this? Otherwise, why would anyone working for riot fest necessarily be in the know about an nin show that is possibly to be played after their riot fest appearance?
    Last edited by somewhat_; 08-04-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

He wouldn't necessarily know yet, or at all. That weekend is still 5 weeks away.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i booked a stay for an extra night just in case.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Is there something contractually that tells him this? Otherwise, why would anyone working for riot fest necessarily be in the know about an nin show that is possibly to be played after their riot fest appearance?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    He wouldn't necessarily know yet, or at all. That weekend is still 5 weeks away.
    i believe it is a contractual thing. all of the bands playing at riot have contracts, and if they want to play an aftershow or a separate show while in town, i believe it has to be part of their contract. he knows how into NIN i am (he literally pushed for them to get booked so i would FINALLY come to riot fest, not joking) so he wouldn't keep anything back from me regarding this. i asked him very specifically if there was any chance NIN would be playing any show besides their headlining slot at the fest and he said "absolutely not." i poked a little more and said "it just seems likely since they did it in LA and NY already, and a lot of people are speculating on it," to which he replied, "people are stupid. it's not happening. sorry."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Bakkersfield was a special warm-up show and Webster Hall is an historic venue closing in now under 2 weeks that NIN has played at before, so I think both of those dates could be seen as somehow special/different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason for a unique Chicago show.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Bakkersfield was a special warm-up show and Webster Hall is an historic venue closing in now under 2 weeks that NIN has played at before, so I think both of those dates could be seen as somehow special/different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason for a unique Chicago show.
    I wasn't at the NY 'surprise' performance. i will go out on a limb and say if Mariqueen was there, it may have been set up so she could 'safely' and with much great respect from NIN fans, watch her husband do his thing and rock out.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Cubs win the pennant again? NIN plays at Wrigley Field?
    Last edited by botley; 08-06-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So, what are the odds of Saul coming onstage, and is it still possible there will be some special Year Zero stuff considering the Survivalism single was used for promo art, and no other show this tour has reused old images? Considering that this will be the first show after the (fairly wide) break between dates, I'm kind of expecting them to add/swap out at least a couple of songs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    about as good as odds for a surprise pig face or 1000 homo dj's on stage reunion for a cpl songs..
    now that would def be true old school
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 08-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So, what are the odds of Saul coming onstage
    Answer: No offense: Who the fuck knows? It's like the question about the odds of if it will rain.

Stats don't mean 100% of anything. But, at a prior Lolla where NIN and Saul Williams were there, there was no collaboration. Same with Coachella '05 with NIN and New Order. (I was mostly there for GANG OF FOUR, I think it would've been cooler for a TR/Go4 live collaboration but whatever.)

I think, when it comes to art and music, the artists are mostly moved by the moment, and the schedule, and not by fan expectations.

At the Metro the other night, the Foo Fighters (NOT appearing at Lolla this weekend) brought Perry (Lolla) Farrell up and they all did Jane's Addiction's "Mountain Song."

BUT, they'd done that before, too.

And so has Saul and Trent.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-06-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I've read some pretty extensive articles in Chicago newspapers over the years about Lollapalooza and Pitchfork and non-compete agreements (see RADIUS CLAUSE of said "contract") and about how certain artists (not necessarily named herein) who have violated the terms of said contract, and how the concert organizers and promoters in said contract have not pursued litigation because the artists violating said contracts have a lot more money and legal power than the organizers and promoters regarding said alleged breach of any non-compete (radius) clause, plus Attorney General Lisa Madigan has found said radius clauses to be unfair business practice.

TL;DR No breach of contract litigation happens because the artists allegedly breaching the contracts have a lot more money and legal power than the concert organizers, PLUS the artists have the backing of local legislators (SEE ALSO. SEE THIS, TOO.)

FWIW.

Note that that this does not necessarily mean that NIN will be performing any side show while in Chicago. I'm just saying that they COULD, as many artists HAVE.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-06-2017 at 08:34 PM.