Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just finished the game. I honestly have no idea how that was a bad ending. It was a really tough choice but it was really beautiful once I'd made up my mind. It made perfect sense, even if it was hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    I just finished the game. I honestly have no idea how that was a bad ending. It was a really tough choice but it was really beautiful once I'd made up my mind. It made perfect sense, even if it was hard.
    I don't think that's the problem. I've not seen the ending for myself but it seems as though the problem is that the ending is the same (bar a couple of colour palette changes) no matter which choice you make, no matter whether you're Renegade or Paragon, no matter anything you've done over the entire course of the three games.

Again, I've yet to clear it to see what the fuss is all about but if this really is the case, I can see why people are pissed.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    I don't think that's the problem. I've not seen the ending for myself but it seems as though the problem is that the ending is the same (bar a couple of colour palette changes) no matter which choice you make, no matter whether you're Renegade or Paragon, no matter anything you've done over the entire course of the three games.

Again, I've yet to clear it to see what the fuss is all about but if this really is the case, I can see why people are pissed.
    That, and the fact that a lot of the ending(s), I felt, didn't make much sense. But yeah, for the most part, no matter what you do, you'll get a different color ending, or a couple seconds of difference. My main gripe, though, is that I felt the ending was a huge contradiction to the entire series. Seemed like an ending that would thought up and put together in just minutes. Felt lazy, and half-assed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would say the choices you make in the first 2 games make a pretty big dent on the whole game of 3 rather than just the end. I can see how if people weren't there, solutions wouldn't present themselves. The ending has a choice, and without going into spoilers, it questions your emotional attachment to everything you have done be it renegade or paragon. In one way it asks the player to actually *think* of the choice their Shepard would make, with the experience of the 3 games behind them.

I just took a gander at some of the other endings (and might consider doing a new play through from 2 onwards) and yeah the end scenes look similar, but what they mean not just for your character but the galaxy is entirely different depending on what you choose.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Your actions mattered for everything BUT the ending. Certain people survived, certain things happened. The ending was it's own isolated thing. And i've restarted playing the first game. But don't get me wrong, ME3 is real fun. But the ending jumped a lot of sharks, and in my eyes and many, it failed. If they flesh it out some more, help make sense of things, it could work without having to actually make a new ending.

And on a unrelated note - I've noticed when people type in spoilers, they black it out. How do you do that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Soooooo basically the ending is the same, but the 'meaning' of the ending should be different for you depending on how you arrived at it?

Yeah, I dunno. I'm hoping I've got the wrong end of the stick about things and I'll be wowed when I get there, but I'm going in with incredibly low expectations.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Hula, play the game and get through it first. Best advice I can offer you.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Soooooo basically the ending is the same, but the 'meaning' of the ending should be different for you depending on how you arrived at it?

Yeah, I dunno. I'm hoping I've got the wrong end of the stick about things and I'll be wowed when I get there, but I'm going in with incredibly low expectations.
    Play it for yourself. It's a very fun game from beginning to the end. You won't regret the journey one bit. And when you reach the end, try basing your own opinion of it. Not everyone dislikes the ending. You could enjoy it. If you don't, then you could wait it out until dlc comes around and helps fix things. But i'd finish no matter what people may say about the ending.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought the ending was fine. Great game.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I would say the choices you make in the first 2 games make a pretty big dent on the whole game of 3 rather than just the end. I can see how if people weren't there, solutions wouldn't present themselves.
    That's actually not the case though. If certain people aren't there, they're actually just replaced with someone else, and your choices throughout the game AND in the end are essentially identical, regardless of which choices you made in the previous games.

And I would say that it's difficult to understand what the differences in the ending truly mean. I think those things are what frustrate players. If the differences were in any way clear, I think it would have been a lot more satisfying...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Here's a random question...soooo I've decided to start up the series for the first time, currently about halfway through my second playthrough and at level 55 (only wanna get to 60 of course). Already bought 2 and 3, but waiting to hit 60 first. My question, if anyone knows, is once I hit 60 can I immediately jump in to ME2 and import my character? I already read up on what the bonuses, etc. are, but I'm just wondering if I don't have to get through the campaign first to make it register...if that makes sense. Can I just hit 60, save it, and then jump in to ME2 or do I have to quickly get through the ending first before importing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty sure you need to clear a game to import the save file to the next one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thanks, just as I saw this I found a pretty extensive page that concurs with what you said. Here's hoping I can get to 60 in this playthrough so I don't have to blast through the entire game a 3rd time. So far it's not looking good I think...oh well.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    You have to beat the game but you do know that when you import your character to Mass Effect 2 he'll be the same level as the import right? That is if you want to abandon your current playthrough and use a completed game file, assuming you have one still.

You liking the series, October? Last we talked you said it was all right. How do you like Saren?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'll just get him up to 60, see if I can do it in this playthrough and the achievement. As for ME1, it's alright. Whoever designed the physics of driving the Mako when you're on a rocky planet must've been high on angel dust. It's terrible. Saren as a villain is alright I guess. Once I got the level X spectre weaponry it made this second playthrough fairly uneventful as I seem to be pretty OP'ed. Couldn't care less about beating it through on a harder difficulty, just wanna hit 60, and then get through ME2 and ME3 and I'll probably be done with it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I'll just get him up to 60, see if I can do it in this playthrough and the achievement. As for ME1, it's alright. Whoever designed the physics of driving the Mako when you're on a rocky planet must've been high on angel dust. It's terrible. Saren as a villain is alright I guess. Once I got the level X spectre weaponry it made this second playthrough fairly uneventful as I seem to be pretty OP'ed. Couldn't care less about beating it through on a harder difficulty, just wanna hit 60, and then get through ME2 and ME3 and I'll probably be done with it.
    I love Saren, he's such a dick.

As for the game mechanics they are rocky and bad in some respects but it did lay groundwork to this explosive series. I can't wait to see how blown away you are by 2 and 3.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

WWMSD?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Im sure enthusiasm will kick in when you get your handa on 2. The first one keeps those expectations in check and when you finally get to number 2 is when egerything starts to work like it should.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Say what you want about the ending, the disappointment in it and whatnot. All of that is moot once you get to this moment -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post

WWMSD?
    His name, was Marauder Shields.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Saren you jerk, we knew we'd see you again or your presence.

In other news, rumors say the possible DLC for ending will add to it not be an alternate ending.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Saren you jerk, we knew we'd see you again or your presence.

In other news, rumors say the possible DLC for ending will add to it not be an alternate ending.
    Thought that was already said. They've been perfectly clear they they're content with the ending and aren't changing it. They're mostly going to fleshit out, help it make more sense, and probably expand from it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    That's actually not the case though. If certain people aren't there, they're actually just replaced with someone else, and your choices throughout the game AND in the end are essentially identical, regardless of which choices you made in the previous games.

And I would say that it's difficult to understand what the differences in the ending truly mean. I think those things are what frustrate players. If the differences were in any way clear, I think it would have been a lot more satisfying...
    Yeah, I looked up a few things in the wiki and found they just overwrote the fact characters weren't there, thats more of a cop out than just letting the player have to figure something out themselves. That said it wouldn't be much of a game if it locked out half the next in the series just because someone you didn't care about dies at the end of the second. Although choices you make in the first and particularly the second can condemn whole races, I wouldn't say that was a small thing. Its the same problem Heavy Rain had really, you can try and give players all the choice in the world but in the end you need to tell a cohesive story and stories have beginnings, middles and ends. I still really enjoyed Heavy Rain, and I really enjoyed Mass Effect, from 1 to 2 to 3 I don' think I've felt as invested in a series for a long time. I still think the end was a great way of bringing a lot of the underlying themes to the foreground. It was climatic enough to not make me think they are just going to jump in with a Mass Effect 4 or have a cliffhanger or something dumb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just finished Priority: Rannoch. Holy shit was that intense.

It feels like I'm steadily getting closer to the end and it kind of sucks. I'm really loving ME3 right now, whatever people have to say about how it ends, and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable withdrawal symptoms once it's all over...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, I looked up a few things in the wiki and found they just overwrote the fact characters weren't there, thats more of a cop out than just letting the player have to figure something out themselves. That said it wouldn't be much of a game if it locked out half the next in the series just because someone you didn't care about dies at the end of the second. Although choices you make in the first and particularly the second can condemn whole races, I wouldn't say that was a small thing. Its the same problem Heavy Rain had really, you can try and give players all the choice in the world but in the end you need to tell a cohesive story and stories have beginnings, middles and ends. I still really enjoyed Heavy Rain, and I really enjoyed Mass Effect, from 1 to 2 to 3 I don' think I've felt as invested in a series for a long time. I still think the end was a great way of bringing a lot of the underlying themes to the foreground. It was climatic enough to not make me think they are just going to jump in with a Mass Effect 4 or have a cliffhanger or something dumb.

I don't think it should have been about just locking out something, but potentially tading one thing for another. That way you get dfferent stories, and replay value! My second playthrough in ME3 was so depressing because I did everything so differently, and things turned out astonishingly similar, you know?

I'm curious just what the hell they'll do with this DLC ending thing...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    One thing that I've been wondering about lately. Spoiler: Since the mass relays are no more. What happens to the citadel and everyone on it? It WAS a mass relay afterall. Another thing that doesn't make sense to me. Granted, the protheans "locked" it... Hopefully they can make sense of all this. And that turian does look a whole lot like Saren. Spoiler: Project Lazarus?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's a Marauder you naabs, a shop of this image by Patryk Olejniczak:

http://hisnamewasmaraudershields.tumblr.com/

Has more or less become the avatar of fanboy butthurt across the internet.
    Last edited by Beef of the Sea; 03-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ah nice. Never saw that before. I was thinking it was some sort of DLC teaser. Makes total sense now.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    One of the ME writers spoke about the original intent for ME3's ending. I like it. I also like the part where it makes more sense. I still think it ignores a lot of choice, but at least it makes more sense.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...fect-3-endings
    Last edited by playwithfire; 03-28-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I bought Mass Effect 2 for my PS3 today. I own and have it on Xbox and beat all the DLC but I still figured why the hell not get it for my PS3?

Haha, damn.