Page 61 of 147 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 4404

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    thanks for the update good to review and clarify history very rocky times in US history that are kind of glossed over civil rights Nixon, Vietnam china, red scare
    -Louie

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It's not a technicality; he wasn't impeached.
    I know he was not formally impeached. "Technicality" was probably not the proper word for what I'm trying to say, but honestly I'm frustratingly at a loss to summon up the right word. Nixon resigned of his own will because he knew he would be forced to resign if he didn't. No one wants to bear the shame of being the first person to ever be fired from a job that has so many contingencies and protections in place that it becomes nearly impossible to be fired.

It would be satisfying if Trump were the first president ever to be told "you're fired."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I know he was not formally impeached. "Technicality" was probably not the proper word for what I'm trying to say, but honestly I'm frustratingly at a loss to summon up the right word. Nixon resigned of his own will because he knew he would be forced to resign if he didn't. No one wants to bear the shame of being the first person to ever be fired from a job that has so many contingencies and protections in place that it becomes nearly impossible to be fired.

It would be satisfying if Trump were the first president ever to be told "you're fired."
    No, you aren't understanding the impeachment process. You don't just get "fired" for these kinds of charges; YOU GO TO PRISON.

Nixon asserted his innocence even during his infamous "I am not a Crook" speech.

But, he was facing IMPRISONMENT if found guilty during the Senate trial. It didn't get to a Senate trial, it didn't even get to the prerequisite House Vote on impeachment.

He was pardoned of any and all POTENTIAL wrongdoing by President Ford.

Bill Clinton was impeached, but the Senate committee did not find him guilty of perjury or obstruction of justice (CRIMINAL offenses) so he didn't go to prison and it in effect overruled the impeachment vote of the House, so Clinton served out the remainder of his term. But, Clinton was in fact facing PRISON for perjury and obstruction of justice charges. He did lose his law license, though.

Many Nixon cabinet members and associates involved in Watergate DID GO TO PRISON.

See WATERGATE SEVEN.

The Watergate Seven has two meanings: (1) it refers to the five men caught June 17, 1972 burglarizing the Democratic National Committee’s headquarters in the Watergate Hotel and their two handlers, E. Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy (two Nixon campaign aides), all of whom were tried before Judge John Sirica in January 1973; (2) it refers to the seven advisors and aides to United States President Richard M. Nixon who were indicted by a grand jury on March 1, 1974 for their role in the Watergate scandal. The grand jury also named Nixon an unindicted conspirator. The indictments marked the first time in U.S. history that a president was so named.
    INDICTED. For a CRIME.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-29-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    No, you aren't understanding the impeachment process. You don't just get "fired" for these kinds of charges; YOU GO TO PRISON.
    It was a joke playing on The Apprentice. I thought it depended upon the nature of the impeachable offense. For instance, if the charge was treason, I would assume prison follows. But no, I didn't understand that it was a prerequisite part of the impeachment process.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It was a joke playing on The Apprentice. I thought it depended upon the nature of the impeachable offense. For instance, if the charge was treason, I would assume prison follows. But no, I didn't understand that it was a prerequisite part of the impeachment process.
    Grounds for impeachment is a crime committed.

See this.

Impeachment in the United States is an enumerated power of the legislature that allows formal charges to be brought against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed. Most impeachments have concerned alleged crimes committed while in office, though there have been a few cases in which Congress has impeached and convicted officials partly for prior crimes. The actual trial on such charges, and subsequent removal of an official upon conviction, is separate from the act of impeachment itself. Impeachment proceedings have been initiated against several presidents of the United States. Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton are the only two presidents to have been successfully impeached by the House of Representatives, and both were later acquitted by the Senate. The impeachment process against Richard Nixon was technically unsuccessful, as Nixon resigned his office before the vote of the full House for impeachment, but successful in the broader sense of leading to Nixon's departure. To date, no U.S. President has been removed from office by impeachment and conviction.

Impeachment is analogous to indictment in regular court proceedings; trial by the other house is analogous to the trial before judge and jury in regular courts. Typically, the lower house of the legislature impeaches the official and the upper house conducts the trial.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    you guys are gonna have a stroke.

just pretend it isn't real. stop looking at it. you will feel better.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    you guys are gonna have a stroke.

just pretend it isn't real. stop looking at it. you will feel better.
    I'm thinking the opposite. It actually worries me that there have been less protests, and less activity in this thread. I worry that little examples like this are showing b/c beginning to treat all thus as normal, or at least that theyre getting complacent.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'm thinking the opposite. It actually worries me that there have been less protests, and less activity in this thread. I worry that little examples like this are showing b/c beginning to treat all thus as normal, or at least that theyre getting complacent.
    I've said it before, but it can't hurt to repeat it, because we need to be aware of it: it's protest fatigue, and it's totally "part of the plan." Steve Bannon is an evil guy, but he's smart and he knows what he's doing.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post

People believe this bullshit so much that over $200k has been put into various GoFunMe campaigns that promise to buy the Internet history of Congress and make it public. It doesn't work like that! https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ne-elses.shtml
    I think the intent behind the gofundme drive is hopefully scare some GOP congress to get paranoid and believe that this could come around to, at the very least, result in a career-damaging embarrassment and reconsider their decision. Regardless of whether or not the proposal realistically enables that, some of these people aren't so savvy when it comes to internets, so I think the drive might achieve the desired result.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Plus, the people behind these campaigns don't strike me as understanding this. The guy who made Cards Against Humanity was making a tweet without any research. It was a "yeah that'd show em!" But he clearly has no idea.
    I think the Cards Against Humanity guy felt it was a humorous joke... and since then, it's exploded the way things do in a viral way.

A lot of people are broadcasting their ignorance, and that contributes to funding. A lot of it is a general "fuck you." A lot of it is misinformed slacktivism. A lot of it is what I'm talking about above. I considered donating for that reason, and from gauging my friends' couched responses to the drive, I know I'm not alone, even if I pretty much try to surround myself with people who I don't think are complete morons, and that might contribute to my own social media echo chamber...

All the same, maybe I'm ok with surrounding myself excessively and exclusively with people I consider intellectuals, talented artists with a drive and message, and activists with whom I agree with. Given the state of current political discourse, and where I think this is going to go in general, it's a way to stay sane
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-30-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    1. Google and Facebook don't have my Social Security Number (or the contents of my private email); Comcast and AT&T, however, for sure have the former and members of Congress are asserting that the ISPs can sell contents of email (causing this "hysteria").
    https://consumerist.com/2017/03/28/h...l-information/

" ... the free market will prevent ISPs from going too far in exploiting customer data"
    HAAAAAAAAA HA HA HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAA Oh you delusional whore.

2. Google and Facebook have an Opt Out privacy option; Comcast and AT&T allegedly will not.

3. Why would anyone be afraid of somebody knowing and selling your search history? The supermarket knows your shopping history, Comcast and AT&T know your television habits, and they all sell that info. I refinanced my HELOC last month and I have received no less than TWENTY pieces of mail relating to bullshit mortgage scams because the County Recorder sold my name on a mailing list, and the DMV sells that info too. This is common, but none of it presents the risk of identity theft or is an invasion of privacy. Web search privacy doesn't exist, never has.

5. These reports (source: members of Congress) indicating the ability to sell your address and SSN and email contents are what's disturbing people. It's not like citizens are jumping to their own made-up conclusions. The hand-wringing is not coming from the public, it's generated by the media and from members of Congress who oppose this action. It is certainly complicated. https://arstechnica.com/information-...o-stop-them/2/

6. There is a bill that's floated around in the House Ways and Means Committee (introduced by a Republican) relating to the protection of Social Security Numbers. The use of SSNs should have never become so commonplace in the first place; it's nuts. SSNs shouldn't even be allowed online anywhere. Then you are commonly asked for the last 4 digits and those are the holy grail; the first 5 are code and are easy to figure out, the final 4 aren't.

7. I guess even a VPN won't totally protect your privacy. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/99776682/.

There's this, though: https://www.letsgetsafe.org

Oh and in Illinois there's this: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...329-story.html
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've said it before, but it can't hurt to repeat it, because we need to be aware of it: it's protest fatigue, and it's totally "part of the plan." Steve Bannon is an evil guy, but he's smart and he knows what he's doing.
    Meh even the Freedom Caucus told Bannon to GTFO. SEE THIS.

There are still protests all the time. You're just not seeing all of them covered by the media or in your info circles. But people are WAY too worked up, now, because they inundate themselves with political news all fucking day. 40 years ago, you maybe read the paper in the morning then watched one news program at night. And there was just as much turmoil, tons of protests, etc, but we didn't have 10 cable news networks and Twitter feeds and Facebook to inundate you with news 24 hours per day. The OVERSATURATION is what is leading to news burnout, anxiety, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I think the intent behind the gofundme drive is hopefully scare some GOP congress to get paranoid and believe that this could come around to, at the very least, result in a career-damaging embarrassment and reconsider their decision. Regardless of whether or not the proposal realistically enables that, some of these people aren't so savvy when it comes to internets, so I think the drive might achieve the desired result.
    I think it's important to bring up just so people realize how little privacy they do have in the modern world a friend works in big data and targeted advertising Netflix is constantly working on algorithms to define your viewing habits to sell just wait until they can really scrape mobile data you'll walk down the street and get notifications to buy a hamburger because you're passing a mcD's
    don't want to live in this world no more,
    want to sail away to a distant shore,
    and live like an ape man
    -Louie

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    here's a little of how much xfinity bribed made in political "contributions" for your browsing data
    http://resistancereport.com/class-wa...owser-history/
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think if i was the fed's i would be looking in Ivanka and her husbands direction
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    i think if i was the fed's i would be looking in Ivanka and her husbands direction
    -Louie
    Nah. I think Ivanka is her Dad's security blanket. She's his favorite, according to family. He sometimes actually LISTENS to her. She's a crazed liberal compared to the rest of them. And The Donald has grown to rely on her husband, as well.

Don is out of his element so he's surrounding himself with people who can figure shit out for him.

I'm not being ageist, but I think Trump's age isn't helping, either. My Boss is Trump's age and I spend, HONEST TO GOD, the MAJORITY of my time, now, reminding my Boss of details, deadlines, pretty much EVERYTHING, and I'm constantly covering his ass because he now has the attention span of a rat and can no longer juggle multiple transactions. I started working for him 7 years ago, and it's been a steady decline in mental agility.

My Boss also doesn't read entire emails; he'll read the first sentence and that's it. So he constantly looks like a dumbass, "how much is the purchase price in this transaction?" (me: Dude, read the client's email, it's IN the email.)

Trump allegedly doesn't read much of anything, either. This is why he only watches cable news shows. That's why he gets so much shit so totally wrong.

I suspect that Ivanka's job will be explaining shit to Dad, maybe with a PowerPoint presentation with bullet points.

I seriously doubt that Trump is a "mastermind" of any of this Russia shit; I think he's just viewed as a flunky puppet who's too stupid to know that he's being manipulated.

Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I wouldn't consider it ageist to say that we don't want an elderly megalomaniac who is genetically predisposed to dementia to be president, especially when he is the oldest person to ever be elected... it falls in line with the billion other issues when you see troubling evidence of senility.

If Trump actually read stuff, he'd know how insane the words coming out of his mouth sound on paper:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I dunno why he keeps referring to Wharton as if it's fucking MIT.

It's not.

Forbes doesn't even rank it in the Top 5 (it's their #7).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, really, this is all pretty true and hilarious.

I SINCERELY doubt that the guy has ever read the Bible. Seriously who the fuck has read the entire bible like it's epic fiction? The guy can't read a memo, I'll bet that he has never read the Bible. I doubt he's cracked open the Bible. I bet the closest he's gotten to a Bible is moving it around on a table.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    watching the intelligence committee on you tube on a former project I actually had dinner with Clinton watts I found him very intelligent and able to view "big picture" ideas and concepts and not "quick fix" solutions, understanding the idea of not changing a vote but influencing the vote
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    understanding the idea of not changing a vote but influencing the vote
    There's been accepted psychology about voting behavior for a long long time.

The law, however, does not put much stock in "voting influence."
    Last edited by allegro; 04-07-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    allegro i always find your posts well thought out, well put and educational and informative two things i greatly admire, i think, or at least hope we are beginning to understand the term "hack", it no longer means breaking into computers, I try more now to define it, gaining access to information and using that information to ones personal gain, without getting into tldr: territory, the more we understand things the better we are able to defend them just my .02
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, really, this is all pretty true and hilarious.

I SINCERELY doubt that the guy has ever read the Bible. Seriously who the fuck has read the entire bible like it's epic fiction? The guy can't read a memo, I'll bet that he has never read the Bible. I doubt he's cracked open the Bible. I bet the closest he's gotten to a Bible is moving i saw this as is and old physiological power move to show you are in control, I read something that stated when going into a conference room slightly rearrange the chair leaving yours for last just before you sit down, I've, never tried this, but do find it interesting
    -Louie

i saw this as is an old physiological power move to show you are in control, I read something that stated when going into a conference room slightly rearrange the chair leaving yours for last just before you sit down, I've, never tried this, but do find it interesting
    -Louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 03-30-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: i got issues

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm starting to like George W. Bush post-presidency as well. Shit, I'd rather have him for four more years than four minutes with Il Duce.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    You sure he wasn't talking about the poncho?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    liberals have truly been driven insane if we're arriving at a point where we sincerely miss Bush. I can't think of a proper analogy to portray how absurd that is. Maybe... It's like acid rain on your wedding day? It's a free ride when you've already paid (and the car is a hearse)? Maybe it's like good advice that you just can't take, because it's being delivered to you in a language you cannot understand, and you're deaf?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i don't miss that idiot chimp
    -Louie

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    So trump wants to take away my pain meds and is deploying Chris Christie, who is obviously a fucking clone or, more likely, a robot, to spearhead the operation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As good ol J.R. used to say, business is about to pick up