Page 5 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    3 Doors Down is also a pre-internet band, and it's a very average band...
    Silver-lining, my total ignorance can be interpreted as a testament to my good taste !

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    What does anyone here think the likelihood of the border wall being built is? Trump consistently vowed to build it throughout the campaign, and it seemed like something his supporters ate up. But he also vowed that Mexico would fund the wall, but now that farce has been exposed it sounds like he’s asking congress for the money, and continuing the pretense that Mexico will pay but later. Congress wouldn’t do it would they? If the republican thing is to shrink the federal government, then why not tell the southern states that if they want a damn wall then their state has to fund the construction and maintenance of the thing? It’s easy to vote yes, but let’s see you vote yes with the hand your own wallet is in.
    It is getting built, plans are already in the works. Things will get done quickly. There is/was a plan posted on the Trump candidate website outlining everything that will get done in the first "number of days" I can't remember how long.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Why does everyone hate Trump? (I'm not American so I'm not privy to all the ongoing and bad things he has done).

He's not even president yet and he's been marked as a terrible president.
    As mentioned above, you have the internet. Look up literally anything about him, his campaign promises, his picks for government positions, any of his tweets, any of his press conferences, any sentence that's come out of his mouth in the last year or two. Look at what repercussions have occurred across the US since the election, perpetrated by people saying it's ok because Trump is the president now.

His influence doesn't magically start after inauguration.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Things Sarah never thought would happen in her life: Defending Donald fucking Trump for being kink shamed.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

There are 8903280843.9 legitimate reasons to criticize him. No need to latch onto irrelevant shit.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Things Sarah never thought would happen in her life: Defending Donald fucking Trump for being kink shamed.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

There are 8903280843.9 legitimate reasons to criticize him. No need to latch onto irrelevant shit.
    Of all the suspected things about him, his sexual preferences are the thing in which I'm the least interested. Unless it's criminal, I don't give a fuck. It's downright childish, mind your own ass. That's what I hated when our press tried to make a whole thing because our president cheated on his wife, or when the previous one married a singer/model right after his divorce. I don't give a fuck. Sexual preferences and behavior isn't a gauge of probity.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Lol, 3 Doors Down. They must have been a North American thing only, because I remember the name but not a single track of theirs. I looked up their biggest hit and, nope, don't remember it all. Christ, I remember Staind and Puddle of Mudd.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Trump is definitely the dumbest president you guys have elected. This news story is awesome.

Trump threatened to impose the tariff on US-bound BMW automobiles produced at plant in Mexico, scheduled to open in 2019.
    Trump also accused German cars producers of unfair behavior. There is a Mercedes-Benz in front of every house on some American streets, he said.

"How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none, you can see nothing over there, it's a one-way street,” Trump said. The US president-elect added he is pro-free trade, but not at all costs. “It must be a clever trade for me,” he said.

To this, Gabriel [Germany's Economy Minister] replied that "the US needs to build better cars."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    "How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none, you can see nothing over there, it's a one-way street; Trump said."[/I]
    There are Chevrolet in Germany, but those are actually Daewoo with the Chevrolet sign instead of the original Daewoo sign. I think the idea for that was to give the cars a more expensive feel. (Both brands belong to General Motors). But ultimately it failed and I think now they stopped selling those altogether.

So yeah, not many Chevrolets on the streets here. And even the few cars you will see are made in Korea and not in Great America.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    It is getting built, plans are already in the works. Things will get done quickly. There is/was a plan posted on the Trump candidate website outlining everything that will get done in the first "number of days" I can't remember how long.
    Except it isn't, and none of the details regarding the plan to build it have been clearly outlined. What good is this wall (now that he's offered the one bit of clarification that it "will be a wall" and not partially a fence) if it's just a wall. You need to hire security to patrol it, set up surveillance cameras, etc... and I don't think this is what Trump was implying when he was saying he was going to create jobs. Outside of the ludicrous cost it will incur to just build a physical wall across the entire Mexican border, there are upkeep, maintenance, surveillance, and management costs. How thick is this wall? How tall? Do you think nobody is going to try to, uh, harm or deface it in some way? You're going to need a pretty alert team (again, across that entire border) to make sure someone doesn't... I dunno... fly drones loaded with cocaine over it in some unmonitored section.

And I think you're thinking of "the first 100 days." If you think even 50% of his 'first 100 days' promises are actually going to happen, I've got a border wall to sell you. It's tremendous.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

The whole piss-play thing is an absurdist side-note to a larger issue, and I think it's being thrown around because it's the sort of thing that his sexually prudish legion will find horrifying. There's the added intent in the kink there that involves him wallowing in a gesture meant to disrespect the Obamas, but it's still not the biggest true concern in there. I say this, all the while believing that the whole thing is almost certainly (at least for the most part) nonsense.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Guess my question was more about congress and less about Trump. He claimed the whole time that Mexico was going to pay to build the wall, but Mexico has exposed his hogwash and bluster with a firm “no!” So now supposedly he is going to congress for the funds. Would congress agree to fund this albatross? I don’t keep up with politics that much but it sounds like republicans control the majority of the government at this point, so could they do it?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Guess my question was more about congress and less about Trump. He claimed the whole time that Mexico was going to pay to build the wall, but Mexico has exposed his hogwash and bluster with a firm “no!” So now supposedly he is going to congress for the funds. Would congress agree to fund this albatross? I don’t keep up with politics that much but it sounds like republicans control the majority of the government at this point, so could they do it?
    no... the whole idea of "the wall" was fantasy and fever dreams... Conceptually it's idiotic and implausible in any effective way. You can't build this unnecessary and totally unworkable gut-punch to our economy without someone grabbing you by the shoulder and telling you to slow your roll.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    there will be no wall, obama had a super majority. look what he got done,
    noything to see here back real house wifes of keristain America.
    Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    there will be no wall, obama had a super majority. look what he got done,
    noything to see here back real house wifes of keristain America.
    Louie

There already is a wall

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    My main fear is that Trump will tweet us into World War 3.

When he said "let there be an arms race," i imagine there were serious meetings held by governments around the world, to discuss the implications.

And now "NATO is obsolete."

That's fucking comforting.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

THANK YOU.

Latch onto supporting assault. Latch onto his abuse. Latch onto literally every other Russian allegation. Latch onto his temper. Latch onto his danger. Latch onto something that actually fucking matters. I know piss makes for easy jokes, but obsessing over that is like constantly making fun of his hair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    but obsessing over that is like constantly making fun of his hair.
    Thank YOU. I hate this man but I also hate that shit ^^^.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    oh man, please don't make me boycott Girl Scout Cookies! PLEASE?!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Today in her commencement hearing Betsy DeVos revealed that she does not understand the sifference between proficiency and growth, doesn't oppose guns in schools and doesn't think we should federally protect disabled children and that instead it should be left up to the states, as well as refusing to say that she doesn't think we should get rid of public schooling.

Our next Secretary of Education, everybody!

But y'know Hillary's emails and all that right they were totally equally poor options obviously and Trump can't really be that bad

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    no... the whole idea of "the wall" was fantasy and fever dreams... Conceptually it's idiotic and implausible in any effective way. You can't build this unnecessary and totally unworkable gut-punch to our economy without someone grabbing you by the shoulder and telling you to slow your roll.
    I understand the disdain for this man but you hit the nail on the head. Yeah he's in "charge" and has a loud mouth but to think any sane politician (even as morally bankrupt and corrupt as some can be) would greenlight or not fight his bullshit ideas and theories is a joke in an of itself. The wall idea was a joke even to the extent my Hispanic co worker even used it as joke fodder when he said he was gonna help build it. Any one that believed that crap for a second is naive. It's outrageous, so outrageous and literal no one should be offended to believe it.

He has a lot of hot air and pipe dreams but I guarantee 80%-90% of his plans or ideas never get off the ground. I bet everything he said prior to the election won't happen either, just like most front runners say and do.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Hillary 2020!
    Strawman 2017!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Double post: Really troubled by Betsy DeVos.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Double post: Really troubled by Betsy DeVos.
    Yeah, she's horrifying. Elitist, inexperienced, ignorant and unprepared. Her commencement hearing was a nightmare come to life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Inauguration of the Mechanical Trump

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Forgive me, as I haven't actually clicked on the link. Has he started a line of individually wrapped cheese products for sandwiches? As much as I hate the man, I'm pretty much always willing to try new imitation cheese.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Forgive me, as I haven't actually clicked on the link. Has he started a line of individually wrapped cheese products for sandwiches? As much as I hate the man, I'm pretty much always willing to try new imitation cheese.
    Fitting. It's a dating site for his suppprters. Just as fake.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I understand the disdain for this man but you hit the nail on the head. Yeah he's in "charge" and has a loud mouth but to think any sane politician (even as morally bankrupt and corrupt as some can be) would greenlight or not fight his bullshit ideas and theories is a joke in an of itself. The wall idea was a joke even to the extent my Hispanic co worker even used it as joke fodder when he said he was gonna help build it. Any one that believed that crap for a second is naive. It's outrageous, so outrageous and literal no one should be offended to believe it.

He has a lot of hot air and pipe dreams but I guarantee 80%-90% of his plans or ideas never get off the ground. I bet everything he said prior to the election won't happen either, just like most front runners say and do.
    That’s the part that has me questioning things now. Not that long ago I thought this guy’s candidacy and campaign for president were a joke. Most, including the establishment republicans treated him as a joke. The only person with a media presence who took Trump serious was, Trump. And now here we are with president Trump. Suddenly the absurdities of yesterday seem more like the realities of today. It doesn’t feel like a big leap at this point to think maybe he could garner the support necessary to do something like the wall, especially if it is seen as popular among the voters who have put the republicans in a strong position right now. I’d like to think congress will put him in his place, checks and balances and all that, but damn things just feel weird right now.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Out of curiosity, I just checked and NIN has 3.6 million likes "only". Goddamn...I know NIN is not a band with mass appeal, but I'd imagine that they'd have more likes than 3 doors down! The world is twisted.
    Well, I would imagine it's mostly because we don't use Facebook for liking NIN since we have this forum?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scottish...twilight-zone/

President Trump: The Inauguration
    4pm, BBC One/STV

After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns with one of the most ambitious, expensive and controversial productions in broadcast history. Sci-fi writers have dabbled often with alternative history stories – among the most common is the “What if The Nazis Had Won The Second World War” setting – but this huge interactive virtual reality project, which will unfold on TV, in the press, and on Twitter over the next four years, sets out to build an ongoing alternative present.
    The story begins in a nightmarish version of 2017 in which huge sections of the US electorate have somehow been duped into voting to make Donald Trump president. It sounds far-fetched, and it is, but as it goes on it becomes more and more chillingly plausible. Today’s feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead.
    It’s a flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble into, if we’re not careful.”

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Here's where I'm concerned though:

Supreme Court.

First of all, I'm still utterly outraged over the Republicans refusing to do their job and deny President Obama his SCOTUS appointment. There should be a mandate that any staged block like that results in a forfeit of vote and those who are willing to do their job can proceed. Now, the right are going to have at LEAST one person to put on the bench; quite probably more than that. By 2020, the Supreme Court will be staggeringly conservative, and we'll be facing the repeal of hard-fought victories as well as the creation of new ass-backwards, precedent-setting cases. Especially from a civil rights perspective, we'll probably be knocked back for the foreseeable future.

Secondly, on a similar note, Republicans control everything on the federal level now. If it were a Democrat-controlled house or something, that would be one story. But the left has no stopping power now. Anything the right wants to do, they can. Sure, he's said a lot of whackadoodle stuff that'll never happen. But there's pretty much no one to stop him from doing what he does decide to push forward with. And that (in addition to his twitter feed and general temperament) is what worries me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)