Page 46 of 147 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 4404

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    I don't see how the fact that Europe had a violent past means we shouldn't take measures to prevent more violence and divisiveness.
    The final paragraph of my post addressed exactly that assumption. Why are you posing that question when I've already addressed it? I made it quite clear I don't think that. Why have you not taken that into account?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Wasn't there a guy that survived both 9/11 and the bataclan attack?
    I survived the Omagh bombing and was trapped in the midst of the Lee Rigby murder... what's your point?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sorry to triple post, but Sallo I am not saying you're full of Shit, shut up..I'm saying reality and a realistic attitude lies in between what you're saying and what the people trying to shut you down are saying.

If we all are going to quote stats and personal experiences as trumping abstract opinion, then I would ask you all to hear me out as I have first hand experience of terrorism. Neither liberals or alt right/conservative have fully adjusted opinions on the matter

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I survived the Omagh bombing and was trapped in the midst of the Lee Rigby murder... what's your point?
    Read the two posts above

The final paragraph of my post addressed exactly that assumption. Why are you posing that question when I've already addressed it? I made it quite clear I don't think that. Why have you not taken that into account?
    I missed it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Sorry to triple post, but Sallo I am not saying you're full of Shit, shut up..I'm saying reality and a realistic attitude lies in between what you're saying and what the people trying to shut you down are saying.

If we all are going to quote stats and personal experiences as trumping abstract opinion, then I would ask you all to hear me out as I have first hand experience of terrorism. Neither liberals or alt right/conservative have fully adjusted opinions on the matter
    This conversation has been going on for awhile now and i admit i don't know exactly what were discussing anymore, but what was it exactly that i said that you don't agree with

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Looks like a little wiener...sounds like a little wiener

Has probably felt powerless and rejected his whole life, and this is how he gets a sense of power, belonging and purpose. It is that simple...
    Harlan Hill. He's also almost certainly a cartoon dreamt up in a Fox think tank. He even looks like the Gamergater MRA wearing-a-fedora meme... but with a shitty bow tie instead.

So I was bored, and decided to actually look this insufferable guy up. The banner on his Twitter feed reads TV + Startups + Politics. Millennial
    The bold lettering was his choice, not mine.

I went back and looked through his early tweets and other blips on the radar. Not much to see there. His early tweets were centered around his startup web development company Coraloo (now defunct). A Tea Party leaning site wrote a piece talking about how a group called NoVoucherTax had ties to a group he was running, and claims it was a wolf-in-sheep's clothing attempt by progressives to misrepresent the Tea Party some time in 2011. Not really sure what that means in the long run... Other than that, I didn't really find anything about him from that time.

His first Tweet was in July 9th, 2010. It's full of social media news, Steve Jobs worship, posts about food...

His first politically related tweet was on July 11th, 2011. RT @AspenInstitute: I have more followers in my state that read my twitter feed than read my local newspaper - @CoryBooker #Aspenideas

I'm not entirely sure what is being actually discussed here. It was liked by one person though... which is more action than most of his early tweets get. Anyway, that's the first mention of a politician. In october he posted a link to an article about Obama occasionally writing personal checks to constituents in need. Makes a mention of the popularity of Huffpost outpacing Politico and CNN Politics a little bit later. A while later he endorses Democrat Mildred Poonan, who went on to lose the primary to represent the Congressional District of Maryland.

Back to talking about smart phones, gadgets, Steve Jobs, pizza, Steve Jobs, Apple, weather, gadgets, Steve Jobs...

November 2012, slams GOP for ignoring climate science, makes a post celebrating Obama's re-election.
    December 2012, he makes a post about the declining popularity of Republican Rick Snyder. No further commentary or discussion really... crickets...

Through 2013 and 2014 he makes a small number of tepid pro-Democrat comments. None of these comments that I saw (I admit, I was skimming... I'm not going to actually sift through the thousands of tweets) mentioned Bernie Sanders in a positive light. I saw no evidence that he was a die-had Bernie fan.

In November 2015, he makes a quick note of congratulating Democrat John Bel Edward's victory.

On December 4th, he bitches about progressive cry babies.

December 24th, he appeared on Fox New's show Happening Now. He is introduced as a democratic strategist and political consultant, with a vague and unlisted number of qualifications. I guess this was to frame a counter-point to their Republican Strategist. Harlon Hill proceeds to bash Clinton and agree with the Republican counterpoint and the host. He forgot the bow tie for this one.

In preparing for that interview, he was asked on Twitter if Hillary should be held to task for enabling in her husband's rapes and abuses of women. His answer: "Yes I do."

Two days after his appearance on Fox, he tweets a snipe at Bernie Sanders, saying "every time a D takes a swing at Trump it cements his lead."

Fox News brings him back on, this time to talk about how Bernie Sanders and Trump have a lot in common. The host even laughs at one point and says "hey, you're starting to sound more like a Trump supporter than a Democrat!!!"

Maybe that 's why a day later he appeared on O'Reilly and took a stance accusing both parties of being responsible for partisan divisiveness... saying that it wasn't ALL Obama's fault.

On another fox interview, he shouts down a democrat trying to defend a statement made by Clinton that both the host and Harlon are twisting and intentionally misrepresenting. The guy never really gets to present his point, and Harlon finally sums up this pathetic attempt at trying to seem defiant and bold: "The difference between you and me is that I am not afraid to hold Hillary Clinton to task and you ARE!" Fox has regularly propped him up to fill this purpose since, and his regular featuring on their channel has come full circle to establishing him as a political commentator.

On January 4th, 2017, he appeared on Info Wars alongside Roger Stone, who is a shitbag on an entirely other level.

Fast forward to just the other day, where he is now best known for having his ass laughably handed to him on CNN while he tries to defend Donald Trump for shushing and deriding a question about the rise in anti-semitism.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    What the fuck is intergration?
    I dont know...i hear the words.intergration and assimilation all the time..i dont know if they are the same thing...i think its about melding into the society you enter..Adapting to it....

I was responding to the poster who was implying the US is an immigrants utopia everyone should immitate immune to the trappings of Europe...
    U.S have had 4 islamic terror attacks in the past 18 months..minor ones..,the pipe bomber...Ohio State..San Bernadino and the guy that shot up the army centre...
    the UK has had none...most European countries have not.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So I was bored, and decided to actually look this insufferable guy up.
    Honestly, I like both of them for the choice of topic.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    I dont know...i hear the words.intergration and assimilation all the time..
    There's gotta be a perfect way to respond to this, but I'm sure it requires a meme, and I'm at a loss.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    There's gotta be a perfect way to respond to this, but I'm sure it requires a meme, and I'm at a loss.
    The person mentioned the word intergration...i dont really know what the difference between intergration and assimilation are...
    The French prefer Assimilation..UK prefers...intergration....

the U.S in 1925 passed a bill that restricted anyone who was not from North Western Europe from entering...
    your country has been hostile to intergration/assimilation ...
    you were not that much different to South Africa prior to the 1960s...
    Its like when Germany moans at the UK about democracy...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I dont know...i hear the words.intergration and assimilation all the time..i dont know if they are the same thing...i think its about melding into the society you enter..Adapting to it....
    Is there a weird joke with the spelling that only I'm not getting?!

I was responding to the poster who was implying the US is an immigrants utopia everyone should immitate immune to the trappings of Europe...
    Clearly not what I said.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Well, I definitely don't hear the word "intergration" all the time, never heard it before this thread... so I also do not know what it means.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Clearly not what I said.
    oh what bullshit you were so condescending...you were clearly saying America has a better way of 'intergrating'...compared to the terrorist infested Europe...read your post again...dont keep coming back with empty snarky comments...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well, I definitely don't hear the word "intergration" all the time, never heard it before this thread... so I also do not know what it means.
    It basically means 'to merge'. I live in an area that sees a lot of eastern european immigrants and I hear it all the time

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    It basically means 'to merge'. I live in an area that sees a lot of eastern european immigrants and I hear it all the time
    ok, I think I get it... Let me try to use it in a sentence.

"With Betsy DeVos now taking on the role of Secretary of Education, we're probably going to start hearing the word 'intergration' more frequently in the coming years."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ok, I think I get it... Let me try to use it in a sentence.

"With Betsy DeVos now taking on the role of Secretary of Education, we're probably going to start hearing the word 'intergration' more frequently in the coming years."
    Amen. Intergration (with an R in it) is NOT an English word.

The resident English majors have spoken.

Edit: Note that the original poster of that word speaks another language as a first language, not English. But, I think it was just a typo.

For the record: It's INTEGRATE.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-22-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's kinda like irregardless (not a word).

We hear that all the time, too. And it makes me want to stab people.

Kinda like "jive" when people mean to use "gibe" / "jibe."
    Last edited by allegro; 02-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Edit: Note that the original poster of that word speaks another language as a first language, not English. But, I think it was just a typo.
    @hellospaceboy spelled it right..
    Either way, I was just joking around about it. The word sounded funny to me.

My pet peeve is probably "expresso"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Amen. Intergration (with an R in it) is NOT an English word.

The resident English majors have spoken.

For the record: It's INTEGRATE.
    What the fuck are you talking about?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    InteRgrate is not an English word.

INTEGRATE is the correct word.

See also.

The antonym is segregate.

See etymology HERE.

integrate (v.)
    1630s, "to render (something) whole, bring together the parts of," from Latin integratus, past participle of integrare "make whole," from integer "whole, complete," figuratively, "untainted, upright," literally "untouched," from in- "not" (see in- (1)) + root of tangere "to touch," from PIE root *tag- "to touch, handle" (see tangent (adj.)).

The meaning "put together parts or elements and combine them into a whole" is from 1802. The "racially desegregate" sense (1940) probably is a back-formation from integration. Related: Integrated; integrating.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-22-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Just politics and stuff.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    You guys are insanely pedantic. He simply misspelled interragrate.

Interragrate = interrogate + integrate. It's basically how Trump wants immigration to happen.
    Nah, he didn't. It's probably a typo of integrate.

And Interragrate is not an English word, either.

It's: Integrate

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I'm attempting to diffuse the pedantry with some trolling is all
    Possibly it's a linguistic portmanteau of 'intertwine' and 'grateful?'

The political intrigue thickens...

Anyway, sorry for the drift. I needed to brighten my day up a bit. Back to the regularly scheduled nightmare.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Possibly it's a linguistic portmanteau of 'intertwine' and 'grateful?'

The political intrigue thickens...

Anyway, sorry for the drift. I needed to brighten my day up a bit. Back to the regularly scheduled nightmare.
    It brightened my day that you just used "portmanteau!" LOVE IT.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    oh what bullshit you were so condescending...you were clearly saying America has a better way of 'intergrating'...compared to the terrorist infested Europe...read your post again...dont keep coming back with empty snarky comments...
    First of all, yes, it is spelled integrating.

And "saying that in the US the culture allows for better integration" is exactly what I said. I stand by that.

YOU translated it as "implying the US is an immigrants utopia everyone should immitate immune to the trappings of Europe..." and that is not the fuckin' same.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    @hellospaceboy spelled it right..
    You bet your ass I did! English might be my second language but I pride myself in my grammar... could I say because....

I...

fully...

INTEGRATED!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    First of all, yes, it is spelled integrating.

And "saying that in the US the culture allows for better integration" is exactly what I said. I stand by that.

YOU translated it as "implying the US is an immigrants utopia everyone should immitate immune to the trappings of Europe..." and that is not the fuckin' same.

US Muslim Population...3.3 Million out of 325 Million
    UK Muslim Population...3.4 Million out of 65 Million
    France Muslim Population...6-7 Million out of 65 Million

Its not the same . If the US had the same demographics of France you would have 35 Million Muslims....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    US Muslim Population...3.3 Million out of 325 Million
    UK Muslim Population...3.4 Million out of 65 Million
    France Muslim Population...6-7 Million out of 65 Million

Its not the same . If the US had the same demographics of France you would have 35 Million Muslims....
    I think what he is saying, what is hard to explain unless you live here, is that we don't separate Islam that way. We aren't a secular nation. We are a nation based on freedom of religion, far more than heritage. And, as @Sallos indicated, we're not a nation state. Our country is inhabited ENTIRELY by immigrants, except for Native Americans (f/k/a "Indians") who were the first inhabitants.

The only reason this immigration "ban" came up is due to terrorism, and we know a LOT about that, given that we experienced the BIGGEST terrorist attack in World History. But, we have every kind of religion and heritage and culture here. We were FOUNDED due to freedom of religion. Nobody is expected to "assimilate" due to religion. And, being "American" is far more than just a citizenship; being "American" means FREE. "Land of the Free."

We happen to be a primarily Judeo-Christian nation. But that demographic is changing with the huge influx of Asians. Chinese and Indian immigrants are currently our biggest group of immigrants.

So I think what @hellospaceboy is saying is that we don't have our own culture or specific religion, here, because we are a melting pot of all cultures and religions.

He said it's NOT the same as Europe; go read the last sentence of his post carefully.

Let's do the math, here, though, as to whether or not the U.S. has experienced Islamic terrorism. These affected more then 3 people:

* Orlando: 50 dead, 50 injured
    * Boston Marathon: 6 dead, 280 injured
    * San Bernadino: 16 dead, 24 injured
    * St Cloud, MN: 9 injured
    * NYC/NJ 2016: 30 injured
    * Columbus, OH: 11 injured
    * NYC 9/11: 2,996 dead, 6,000+ injured

Last edited by allegro; 02-22-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It should also be mentioned that, here in this country, this Trump immigration ban is being compared to the Japanese interment camps during WWII and to Jews escaping the Nazis and being denied Visas in the U.S..

The former, while having been declared unconstitutional, was instituted because we were at war with Japan.

The latter is mostly blamed on Anti-Semitic people in the Immigration Dept.