Page 13 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Secession sounds good to people until they realize what they would lose in the process.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    it'll be like another 8 years under Bush to the left.
    There is no way in hell he will be reelected. It is not going to happen. In two years, the democrats will take back the house and senate. If he isn't impeached and removed from office, in four years he will safely lose to the most extreme version of far-left you've ever hypothetically considered.

In the mean time, we need to pressure the ACLU to act, donate actual money to their cause, and start actually signing petitions instead of lazily sharing them on social media. We need to insist that Trump deliver his tax returns, and it's at least somewhat less maddening to hear that Wikileaks is on board with that (fucking finally).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    In the mean time, we need to pressure the ACLU to act
    If you join the ACLU, you'll find that they have been doing stuff, already (you'd get regular emails plus their "Stand" magazine).

See this.

Here's the latest cover of Stand, mine arrived a few days ago:

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    If you join the ACLU, you'll find that they have been doing stuff, already (you'd get regular emails plus their "Stand" magazine).
    I've been following and offering meager donations as I go to the ACLU.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    There is no way in hell he will be reelected. It is not going to happen. In two years, the democrats will take back the house and senate. If he isn't impeached and removed from office, in four years he will safely lose to the most extreme version of far-left you've ever hypothetically considered.

In the mean time, we need to pressure the ACLU to act, donate actual money to their cause, and start actually signing petitions instead of lazily sharing them on social media. We need to insist that Trump deliver his tax returns, and it's at least somewhat less maddening to hear that Wikileaks is on board with that (fucking finally).
    What makes you think that? I thought there was no way the clown GWB could win in 2004, and yet it happened.

Also, nothing Assange can ever do will atone for helping Trump win.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    There is no way in hell he will be reelected.

2015:
    I'm announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.
    There is no way in hell he'll make it through the primaries.
    2016: I accept the party's nomination as their candidate for President of the United States.
    There is no way in hell he'll be elected.
    2017: Congratulations, Mr. President.
    There is no way in hell he will be reelected.

Yeah, about that...............

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Nobody will succeed. It's not even an option anymore. We had a Civil War and that got pulled off the table. Even if it were, the consequences are too great even for a state like CA. I'd leave CA so fast if they did do it.

I don't know what will happen, but if I HAD to bet: it'll be like another 8 years under Bush to the left. The left won't achieve any traction for about 4 years (they are fucked for the upcoming midterms). Then, we start seeing establishment Dems back in power because the left hasn't figured out how to change the Dem party.

The end.

It's basically the opposite of what I want to see happen.
    Well shit man. lol

Four months ago he was 'safely' going to be defeated in a massive landslide. So I'd say it's a little early to be tooting any kind of horn, let alone a fucking kazoo.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegro - is there new data showing this about Unions? I mean, it doesn't surprise me considering how much the Dems outright insulted the working class, but I didn't realize unions had visibly started to turn like that. Thats serious shit for Dems if so... Well, MORE serious shit.
    I know CHICAGO COPS who voted for Trump. Chicago Cops were always strict Democrats. For THEM to vote for Trump, there's some serious shit going on and it's not just hating Hillary. (Although, that was a big part of it.) They also hate the Democratic Mayor, Rahm Emanuel.

See this.

See also this.

I'm from Detroit, and in that whole area you still get a lot of pissed-off looks for driving a foreign car. I mean, seriously pissed-off.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    lol @ bozo the clown tweeting a pic of the giant crowd for his inauguration with the wrong date...shows Jan 21st, the date of the marches.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Triumph, The Insult Dog, speaks to Trump supporters:

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Triumph, The Insult Dog, speaks to Trump supporters:
    it was KIND of funny until the end, the end made me laff my ass off

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Yeah I posted that in the things that cheer you up thread, the end is funny but at the same time the reality of the joke is sad.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    He won't be impeached, regardless. If Congress remains in Republican hands for all 4 years, he's untouchable. If the Democrats regain enough seats at the midterm to stymie him, it'll lead to 2 years of gridlock and then the 2020 elections. If somehow the Democrats gain a huge majority in the midterms, they'll keep him in the chair for the remaining two years just to flex their muscles and make their future candidate for 2020 appear to be the only obvious alternative. Either way, Trump gets 4 years minimum and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. Best case scenario is getting a surge of fresh bodies in Congress during the midterms and hope they have some small sliver of integrity.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    He won't be impeached, regardless. If Congress remains in Republican hands for all 4 years, he's untouchable.
    Ah, but I'm old enough to remember Nixon, Watergate, and the Abuse of Power allegations, which garnered 10 Republican votes from the House Judiciary Committee, just enough to push Nixon into fearing criminal charges and forcing him to resign.

If anybody is likely to cross the Abuse of Power line, it's Trump.

See this. Nixon and Trump are equally vindictive, and that is what brought down Nixon.

These new transcripts make abundantly clear that Watergate indeed sprang from the bitter soil of Nixon's vindictiveness, the longstanding grudges and festering slights and wounds going back decades. Arguably the scandal began in 1971 with the publication of the Pentagon Papers, a classified 7,000-page Defense Department document on the origins and conduct of the Vietnam War that had been obtained by The New York Times. Nixon saw the publication as evidence of a great liberal Democratic Establishment plot against him. And his inability to do anything about it triggered a towering rage.

''We're up against an enemy, a conspiracy,'' he thunders to Haldeman and Henry Kissinger on July 1, 1971, in a newly published transcript. ''They're using any means. We are going to use any means. Is that clear?'' This included dispatching a secret White House team, ''the Plumbers,'' to dig up dirt on Daniel Ellsberg, the former Kissinger aide who said he was the one who had leaked the Pentagon Papers to the press. A few months later the Plumbers broke into the Los Angeles office of Ellsberg's psychiatrist to photograph Ellsberg's records, but found nothing, and left behind a messy crime scene. Since some of the Plumbers were caught breaking into the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate Hotel a year later, Nixon was understandably frightened that the Watergate investigation would reveal other illegalities, so a cover-up was vital, even if it meant paying the burglars hush money or trying to get the C.I.A. to obstruct the F.B.I.'s investigation using the pretext of national security.

If there were ever serious doubts that Nixon was directly involved in raising the hush money, these new tapes should put them to rest once and for all. There are several conversations here in which Nixon thanks a wealthy contributor, Thomas Pappas, for ''what you're doing to help out on some of these things. . . . I won't say anything further.'' (Nixon's lawyer and Judas, John Dean, called Pappas ''the Greek bearing gifts.'') Later, Nixon asks his longtime secretary, Rose Mary Woods, to reach Pappas and make sure he keeps his mouth shut -- ''I don't want to have anything indicating that I was thanking him for raising money for the Watergate defendants'' -- and cautions her not to talk on the phone.

[...]

His vindictiveness is, at times, comic. ''I'm going to get that Council on Foreign Relations,'' the President sputters. ''I'm going to chop those bastards off right at the neck.'' Furious at The Washington Post, he demands revenge: ''They don't really realize how rough I can play. I've been such a nice guy around here. . . . But when I start, I will kill them.'' He's going to revoke the F.C.C. license of one of the Post-owned television stations and, what's more, ''They're off the guest list, they don't come to the Christmas party.''

And there are his squirmingly embarrassing attempts at expressing affection: ''You're a strong man, goddamn it, and I love you,'' he blurts out over the phone to Haldeman shortly after announcing Haldeman and Ehrlichman's forced resignations. ''I love you, as you know. . . . Like my brother.'' (Haldeman's response: ''O.K.'')
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-in-the-coming

Okay... Jesus christ I hope this is not true.

I'm just running out of words at this point. This is all starting out so much worse than what I was anticipating. So, so much worse.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Shit isn't anywhere near as bad as its probably going to get.
    @elevenism has been telling me that he has had this really bad feeling that things are gonna get scary, but I thought it was just his anxiety talking; now I think it was his intuition talking. It IS gonna get scary, because Trump is fucking STUPID and DEMENTED which is a dangerous combo.

This one will be historic. Luckily, we still have checks and balances but not before Trump creates lots of constitutional carnage.

The GOOD thing is that most of us can say, "don't look at ME! I VOTED FOR HILLARY!" And we can point and laugh at the idiots who were so pro-Trump.

Fucking Romney, it's too bad he sold his soul by meeting with Trump at the end. Because he was right all along and tried to warn everyone.

At least Lindsey Graham's soul is still intact, as is John McCain's and Rand Paul's. So they can work toward stabbing a wooden stake into Trumpula's heart.

Lindsey Graham to Trump: STOP ALLEGING VOTER FRAUD, YOU STUPID TOOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't know that it WILL, but there is certainly the potential. Societal and cultural collapse is continually balancing on the edge. There is catastrophic consequences when it breaks. I'm taking comfort in my decision to acquire/build weaponry and decent "earthquake" supplies. I'll just say that. It's way to emotionally reactionary to be afraid currently, IMO. But it never hurts to be ready.
    I have that, plus water and gas and cash. Because Trump is gonna cut off our debit cards and eat them.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-in-the-coming

Okay... Jesus christ I hope this is not true.

I'm just running out of words at this point. This is all starting out so much worse than what I was anticipating. So, so much worse.
    I can't recall the specific date but I figured it was going to be real awful real fast once the story broke about Paul Ryan telling the House to basically "buckle up" because they planned to hit the ground running.
    These evil fucks...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I was a fool to think Trump could run America well. He won't last. I'm pretty sure. He doesn't truly want to be President for 4 years. Whenever he mentions the work ahead of him, he grimaces.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wtf on this: https://www.buzzfeed.com/legacy_mobi...1YO#.tcpkbYbMk

USDA Scientists Have Been Put On Lockdown Under Trump
    “Starting immediately and until further notice” the department’s main research division “will not release any public-facing documents,” according to an internal memo. "This includes, but is not limited to, news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social media content."
    Now Trump has issued a total media blackout for both the EPA and the USDA.

Welcome to North Korea. We'll have to start calling him Kim Jong Trump.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Cory Booker took precious time away from grilling Linda McMahon to mark out a little today.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I don't understand your question.

But yes. I didn't think that all of this wild shit would be happening in week one. I thought there would be a slow to moderate build up to all of these wild things happening... Not just being slammed with back to back to back shit in a row.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    his outright lies delivered through his press secretary and Kellyanne Conway are what scare me. This shows you the level of disinformation and North Korea style reality distortion we'll be getting from Trump.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 01-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    his outright lies delivered through his press secretary and Kellyanne Conway are what scare me. This shows you the level of disinformation and North Korea style reality distortion we'll be getting from Trump.
    See this: Journalists Should Stop Interviewing Kellyanne Conway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Everyone is saying this but is it really a new issue? That shit has been happening for ages. The only difference is that Trump's cabinet isn't trying to hide it as much as the last administrations were. Are we all saying "we like it better when our politicians lie to us about their intentions"??
    I think what's weird about this shit is the subject matter:

"My inauguration was the BIGGEST IN HISTORY" (no it wasn't, who cares).

"I actually won the popular vote because those Hillary votes were from a bunch of illegal Mexicans" (no, they weren't).

Sends Press Secretary and "Counselor" Conway out to defend His Excellence.

SEE ALSO THIS.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I just didnt understand how, during the election, Trump could be viewed as Hitler v2... but then you are shocked at the bad stuff he is doing in the first few days (that isnt even that bad)... I'd figure you would have expected this stuff if you truly thought he was Hitler v2. That's all.

If it's the rapid deployment, ok i can get that. I'm just not sure it is rapid in context. Trump has a LOT of media scrutiny on him making every little thing well known. Some of it is bullshit (like him "removing" LGBT issues and climate change from the whitehouse website). I don't know how it compares to prior administrations, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Trump is following a similar pace as prior presidents.
    I was given shit for comparing his tactics, appeals, and propaganda to the rise of the third reich, framing their approach to be akin to something proto-fascist, but even then I wasn't saying he was Hitler 2. I was saying the similarities should be alarming. We didn't know then if he was just being full of shit and appealing to bigots and xenophobes. Now that he's in office, we're seeing him actually pursue what he promised to do, and so things have only gotten worse, now that we can say that he wasn't just spewing bullshit to get ignorant votes.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    If it's the rapid deployment, ok i can get that. I'm just not sure it is rapid in context. Trump has a LOT of media scrutiny on him making every little thing well known. Some of it is bullshit (like him "removing" LGBT issues and climate change from the whitehouse website). I don't know how it compares to prior administrations, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Trump is following a similar pace as prior presidents.
    I've actually been wondering about this a lot. I've always had the impression of U.S. politics moving at a really slow pace, which I've often found a bit frustrating. I remember Obama using some metaphor that running the country wasn't like driving a speed boat, but more like trying to steer a big barge (or something like that). This was one of the few things giving me a tiny amount of comfort. "Well, maybe the slow bureaucracy will make things harder for him." But it seems like he's just blazing through all these massive changes. Is he just disregarding a bunch of stuff that previous president's did not? That wouldn't surprise me. Or is it, like you said, that it just feels this way cause we get a news update every time he blinks? I don't know, but I keep thinking "Hey! how come Obama couldn't just ram all this stuff through???!?!?!"

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I've actually been wondering about this a lot. I've always had the impression of U.S. politics moving at a really slow pace, which I've often found a bit frustrating. I remember Obama using some metaphor that running the country wasn't like driving a speed boat, but more like trying to steer a big barge (or something like that). This was one of the few things giving me a tiny amount of comfort. "Well, maybe the slow bureaucracy will make things harder for him." But it seems like he's just blazing through all these massive changes. Is he just disregarding a bunch of stuff that previous president's did not? That wouldn't surprise me. Or is it, like you said, that it just feels this way cause we get a news update every time he blinks? I don't know, but I keep thinking "Hey! how come Obama couldn't just ram all this stuff through???!?!?!"
    Ocean Liner.

The ban on foreign aid to groups that provide abortion counseling (known as the "Mexico City Policy") is something that every President does pretty quickly, undoing the prior EO; Obama undid GW Bush's EO; GW Bush undid Clinton's EO; Clinton undid Reagan's EO.

From Wikipedia:

One of the first acts by the Obama administration after assuming control was an order signed by Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel that suspended all pending federal regulations proposed by outgoing President George W. Bush so that they could be reviewed. This was comparable to prior moves by the Bush Administration upon assuming control from Bill Clinton, who in his final 20 days in office issued 12 executive orders.

Due to the economic crisis, the President enacted a pay freeze for senior White House staff making more than $100,000 per year. The action affected approximately 120 staffers and added up to about a $443,000 savings for the United States government.

Obama also announced stricter guidelines regarding lobbyists in an effort to raise the ethical standards of the White House. The new policy bans aides from attempting to influence the administration for at least two years if they leave his staff. It also bans aides on staff from working on matters they have previously lobbied on, or to approach agencies that they targeted while on staff. Their ban also included a gift-giving ban. However, one day later he nominated William J. Lynn III, a lobbyist for defence contractor Raytheon, for the position of Deputy Secretary of Defense. Obama later nominated William Corr, an anti-tobacco lobbyist, for Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services.

In his first week in office, President Obama signed an executive order suspending all the ongoing proceedings of Guantanamo military commission and ordering that the detention facility would be shut down within the year. He also signed an order requiring the Army Field Manual to be used as guide for terror interrogations, banning torture and other illegal coercive techniques, such as waterboarding. Obama also issued an executive order entitled "Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Personnel," setting stricter limitations on incoming executive branch employees and placing tighter restrictions on lobbying in the White House. Obama signed two Presidential Memoranda concerning energy independence, ordering the Department of Transportation to establish higher fuel efficiency standards before 2011 models are released and allowing states to raise their emissions standards above the national standard. He also ended the Mexico City Policy, which banned funds to international groups that provide abortion services or counselling.

In his first week he also established a policy of producing a weekly Saturday morning video address available on Whitehouse.gov and YouTube, much like those released during his transition period. The first address had been viewed by 600,000 YouTube viewers by the next afternoon. The policy is likened to Franklin Delano Roosevelt's fireside chats and George W. Bush's weekly radio addresses.

The first piece of legislation signed by Obama was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act on January 29, which promoted fair pay regardless of gender, race, or age. Lilly Ledbetter joined Obama and his wife, Michelle, as he signed the bill, fulfilling his campaign pledge to nullify Ledbetter v. Goodyear.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Stupid human mankind makes me so fucking angry. With everything going on right now, I more and more realize that some day I want to live alone, in peace, on an island, and not have to worry about any of this shit. As someone from Europe it's really hard to watch American politics right now; every fucking day another stupid fucking thing. I'm not saying that it's any better over here, or anywhere else for that matter, but to see a nation being divided like this ... it's just crazy. I genuinely believe that people are just fucked up. They pick sides and fight each other and hate each other and there is just so much bullshit floating around I can't even comprehend it. Everything feels so fucking pointless because there will NEVER be agreement.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. It's probably my own fault, I read way too much comments on YouTube. Makes you honestly lose your faith in humanity.