Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post
    I think the best thing in the world would be if TR announced that Aaron North has fully recovered and will be a part of the 2017 lineup.
    Aaron North AND Robin Finck!

Trent is relegated to trambourines only.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Aaron North AND Robin Finck!

Trent is relegated to trambourines only.
    meh, I could do without Finck for a while. that bluesy way he started to play in isn't very exciting.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    meh, I could do without Finck for a while. that bluesy way he started to play in isn't very exciting.
    Who do you propose though? We all know Aaron North is not happening, and I don't want a "Pino Palladino of guitar players" to join the line up. A NIN guitarist should be shredding and going crazy.

Maybe Josh will be reinvited, to which I can't make any comments, because I don't know his style of play when he has the spotlight. But personally I want a new face, if we won't get Finck - whom I still dig.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Who do you propose though? We all know Aaron North is not happening, and I don't want a "Pino Palladino of guitar players" to join the line up. A NIN guitarist should be shredding and going crazy.

Maybe Josh will be reinvited, to which I can't make any comments, because I don't know his style of play when he has the spotlight. But personally I want a new face, if we won't get Finck - whom I still dig.
    Richard fucking Patrick.
    He can take the mic from TR each night to tell how much he liked being in NIN in 1989-91 and got all inspired and wrote that HMNS song that kickstarted his Filter thing and later he wrote that song Jurassitol that's about his time in Nine Inch Nails and here goes that song Me I'm Not.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    richard fucking patrick.
    He can take the mic from tr each night to tell how much he liked being in nin in 1989-91 and got all inspired and wrote that hmns song that kickstarted his filter thing and later he wrote that song jurassitol that's about his time in nine inch nails and here goes that song me i'm not.
    did you know richard patrick's nickname was piggy and it might or might not have inspired the song called "piggy" on the critically acclaimed hit record, the downward spiral?

[edit: FUCK, I wrote it in all caps..... fuck you board, you took away half the fun... ]

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I did not know that "Jurassitol" was about his time in Nine Inch Nails. Huh. That's an old favorite. And I guess that makes a lot of sense, given his feelings upon departure.

When I was sixteen, at my first job, I used to rock out in my car, singing "Jurassitol" about my first boss--who, as far as I could tell, never even learned my name, preferring instead just to call me "The Faggot." Good times!
    so for continuing de-rail, but i want to kick your old boss in the balls (and i'm a pacifist). that word makes my fucking blood boil.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

someone new, young, and fucking mental.

I giggle at the idea of Annie Clark being the new guitarist tho, that would be epic and so wrong on so many levels yet SO GOOD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I giggle at the idea of Annie Clark being the new guitarist tho, that would be epic and so wrong on so many levels yet SO GOOD
    I like this idea. Being in the NIN touring band is like some weird rite of passage for many people. I don't like the idea of gender quotas in bands but another great female rock guitarist/instrumentalist would be Emma Ruth Rundle.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I like this idea. Being in the NIN touring band is like some weird rite of passage for many people. I don't like the idea of gender quotas in bands but another great female rock guitarist/instrumentalist would be Emma Ruth Rundle.
    dude, emma would be an AMAZING addition to NIN. the way she textures things would be a really cool way to do some stuff live. i've never really heard another guitar player quite like her. plus her voice is so similar to tori amos, so i'd finally get more of what i wanted out of trent & tori's voices together haha

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

St Vincent is releasing a new album next months. Touring with NIN would be perfect. They match very well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Holy fucking Christ. She's wicked talented and completely nuts. That could be so amazing...or an unbelievably terrible, Vicodin-baked-into-my-pizza combination. One thing's for sure: 98.75% of the "fans" would not be happy.

Actually, now that I think of it, what would the reaction be to any female (non-Mariqueen) addition to the live band be? I feel like there would be an...unfortunate amount of revolt.
    People were pissed when they announced the backing vocalists for Tension.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Actually, now that I think of it, what would the reaction be to any female (non-Mariqueen) addition to the live band be? I feel like there would be an...unfortunate amount of revolt.
    Mm, I'd certainly like to think that the NIN fanbase is more open-minded than that, but I fear that you might be right.

In re: the backing vocals for Tension (which I personally loved), I suppose part of the outcry on that front was because it was sort of legitimately changing the live "sound" of the band, whereas just having a woman on guitar would still, you know, be playing guitar. Hopefully folks'd be accepting of that.

(Re: Annie Clark, I do think she'd be able to do some really wicked stuff playing guitar for NIN, though I can't imagine she'd be happy just being a member in someone else's band.)
    Last edited by xolotl; 01-09-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: slightly more brevity, rephrasing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My mind would be fucking blown if she would. And blown again if Trent could afford her. I wonder what the effect on casual fans/fans of St. Vincent would be. Fascinating scenario. Kudos to the original poster.
    As cool as this is, where did this idea come from? Just the OP? As for Mariqueen in the performing band, I highly doubt it. Even if they enjoyed the experience as a married couple from the HTDA shows, I'd think they'd want to keep it to that project 'home'.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My mind would be fucking blown if she would. And blown again if Trent could afford her. I wonder what the effect on casual fans/fans of St. Vincent would be. Fascinating scenario. Kudos to the original poster.
    I'm sure if Trent could afford Pino Palladino along with the backup singers for the Rolling Stones, this would be no issue.