Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So since Pemberton was outright cancelled this year, anyone think it's likely they were in talks to play and didn't due to it being unreliable? I'm still just so puzzled at these extremely sparse dates with so much room in between.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    So since Pemberton was outright cancelled this year, anyone think it's likely they were in talks to play and didn't due to it being unreliable? I'm still just so puzzled at these extremely sparse dates with so much room in between.
    Maybe, maybe not. Pemberton already realeased the headliners in Muse, Chance, and ATCQ. I don't think NIN is in a position these days to be a top billed, must have act unfortunately.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Pemberton already realeased the headliners in Muse, Chance, and ATCQ. I don't think NIN is in a position these days to be a top billed, must have act unfortunately.
    uh...they're headlining riot fest?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    I meant more the lines of Coachella, Lolla, etc. The big ones. There seems to be a music festival in every city now, saturating the market a bit.

Eh, who knows. I'm sort of/kind of going off the last arena tour (Tension) which seemed like a mixed bag regarding ticket sales. NIN is also the only ticket left for FYF, the other single nights sold out.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    To be fair, Outside of Closer and Hurt not many people really know NIN enough to go see at a headline festival slot. Trent has a very dedicated following but not a real mainstream reach like many of the headliners out there now, most of whom have headlined almost every other year around the world. That's not a dig, but i suspect many regular festival fans probably see NIN as a bit of an unknown?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The guy has purposefully avoided having NIN become too mainstream for ages now since the release of Broken forward. I'd argue NIN has existed pretty delicately in between the spaces of being too niche or too common and it's allowed Trent to get away with just about anything -- pop hooks aren't forbidden but neither are out there experiments into noise. I can't imagine that he was sitting there making songs like Burning Bright and then complaining that they're not popular enough.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    They headlined the festival twice before. 2008 and 2014...

And to the person that asked, Yes, I do believe NIN was approached and even billed at one point, but dropped out. That was the word on the street anyway. Some guy on reddit that was making very, very accurate up to the minute predictions said they were on and bailed, which caused a delay.

All in all though, I'm glad they bailed. If they were announced, I would have dropped a bunch of money on hotel/travel/tickets to the festival and would be in hot water now trying to get my refund. I feel bad for everyone that got suckered into that, especially after the weak lineup dropped. People were still in denial that the the festival was on it's last legs.

Tons of festivals in Canada took a year off this year. Rock the Shores in Victoria, Heavy Montreal in Montreal. They knew this year was a bad year based on various things (low Canadian dollar, not enough talent available touring etc), but Pemberton decided to go against the grain and try and continue the show.

They ultimately shot themselves in the foot. I mean, they could have cut it down to a 2 or even 3 day festival instead of a 4 day one. They were way too in over their heads. Their estimated operating costs for the 4 day show was 22 million and they only racked in 8 million to date on ticket sales.

To be fair though, based on the statistics provided from the bankruptcy firm, the year NIN headlined (2014), they only sold 17,000 tickets per day and made an estimated 5 million. 2014 was the weakest year since the festival got revived from the dead in 2008 under promoters Live nation.

Their final year (last year) they sold 38,000 tickets per day and only made 15 mil. They had never made money in the 3 years they returned. And personally, year 2 and 3 were sub-par. For my tastes anyway. Looking back at the 2016 lineup, it's not as bad as I originally thought, but that's comparing it to the 2017 one, lol.

2014 was amazing. They pulled out all the stops for the first year back, yet it flopped? It was 3 days back then. NIN, Deadmau5 and Outkast were the headliners. I guess NIN can't pull in a festival audience after all? I read what someone wrote in this thread many, many pages ago when it was being speculated which festivals NIN might be at, and Lolla came up. Someone said that NIN's lolla preformance was very lackluster attendance wise, and therefore wouldn't be back. I was there at the show myself, I can't vouch on whether it was poor attendance, as I was pretty close up and too busy watching the show to look behind and see how many people were there.

I do know one thing, at Pemberton 2014, THAT was a deserted crowd. We left our campsite maybe 35-40 mins before NIN were set to go on stage, and we're able to still get front row against the gate. Almost any show/stage that festival you could get up front at any point you wanted.

Maybe they were on the bill and someone in the NIN camp warned them about their financial situation and they pulled out of it? Who knows. You could tell something was up with that festival this year anyway. The way they were beating around the bush with releasing their lineup and how their social media was ran. It got to the point where I was questioning whether I even wanted to attend or not if NIN was on the bill.

It's just sad that BC has lost yet another music festival. Traveling for shows gets expensive after a while. We always seem to the get the shaft unless it's a multi-platinum selling worldwide name like U2 or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga. That seems to be the only trash that can sell out shows in Vancouver there days. Quite sad actually.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    One of the reasons I'm still holding out a bit of hope for proper dates is the fact that qotsa haven't announced proper US dates yet for August/September.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    One of the reasons I'm still holding out a bit of hope for proper dates is the fact that qotsa haven't announced proper US dates yet for August/September.
    A co-headliner would kind of be a bummer. :/ Not much a fan of QOTSA to boot.

Good point though, kind of makes sense for both bands. I recall reading something on here about their co-headliner Aussie tour being a financial success.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I hope these festivals get streamed. I know Riot Fest did a stream last year.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I hope these festivals get streamed. I know Riot Fest did a stream last year.
    Wait, Riot Fest had a stream last year?! You mean I possibly could've seen the Danzig reunion?! Fuck.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    They're also headlining Sunday night FYF, aka the only night that hasn't sold out.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm wondering if NIN is going to get the standard 90 minutes for Panorama. Last year, the headliner that closed the weekend played almost two hours I think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Voodoo fest announcement next Tuesday morning.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Voodoo fest announcement next Tuesday morning.
    C u Next Tuesday

...i'm so sorry, i couldn't help myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ugh! Can you fuckers stop bumping this and making me think new dates have been announced?! Cunts!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh, no...I'm officially part of the problem. I'M a cunt. Goddamnit. But it does almost feel like a "tour announcement" thread is justifiable at this point. Almost.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Will Trent make an official announcement regarding the touring schedule? If so, when can we expect that? It's amazing that NIN takes to the stage next month after a 3 year hiatus. Hopefully we hear something official soon.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm sure that once we've all spent like $500 on festival dates he'll announce a ton of headlining shows whose presales all come with copies of the Tension blu ray just to fuck with us

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    when can we expect that? ... Hopefully we hear something official soon.
    See, you already know the answer.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Will Trent make an official announcement regarding the touring schedule? If so, when can we expect that? It's amazing that NIN takes to the stage next month after a 3 year hiatus. Hopefully we hear something official soon.
    My hope is that the last possible festival date announcement, next Tuesday, will be the catalyst for some kind of info regarding other plans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm sure that once we've all spent like $500 on festival dates he'll announce a ton of headlining shows whose presales all come with copies of the Tension blu ray just to fuck with us
    This will be my luck. How the 3 day tickets, was hopping I could sell the other days for like $50 or $60. I just could not wait for the single day tickets.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...OM&sh=08e5f588

Some old school advertising for Riot Fest date.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    My hope is that the last possible festival date announcement, next Tuesday, will be the catalyst for some kind of info regarding other plans.
    I'm almost under the impression that we'll start to hear more news about a possible fall tour when the new EP drops sometime before the first summer date in July. Almost in the way that the Tension 2013 tour was announced...with Hesitations Marks being announced, the new single and then the slew of dates all within 24 hours.

At least I'm hoping for that anyway...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The fact that another EP will drop before this tour means there will be new materials worth almost a full-length album.
    I wonder how many new songs will make it to the actual live set. Live NIN always intrigues me more than studio NIN.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion

No Voodoo. That would have been a decent indication at the possibility of a fall tour, but it looks like it might just be the three dates. I will give it another 2 or 3 weeks and then I'm booking my trips to NYC and Chicago.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 06-06-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    The fact that another EP will drop before this tour
    wait what

(I think I missed something)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    ^ There's a lot going on in the other threads on this board. Any of them, really.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    No Voodoo. That would have been a decent indication at the possibility of a fall tour, but it looks like it will just be the three dates. I will give it another 2 or 3 weeks and then I'm booking my trips to NYC and Chicago.
    The phrasing in his note gives me hope ("before the first shows we do this summer")

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    The phrasing in his note gives me hope ("before the first shows we do this summer")
    Agreed. It's very interesting that he chooses to say "the first shows" instead of "the first show". That means there are a couple of shows (three) and those are the first.

Well, he could also specifically mean the first two shows at the end of July and then there's only the third in September and that's it. But I don't accept that at all.
    Last edited by niggo; 06-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.