Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Anyone? Y'all bought records but don't have record players?
    Yeah. it's 2017.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd not seen this advertised anywhere at all, but pleased to see that this is being shown on the BBC. First two episodes on iPlayer now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ja-vu-18581961

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Anyone? Y'all bought records but don't have record players?
    I've been listening to the vinyl since I got it, but I didn't do a digital rip or directly compare it to the streaming/download version, until today. Unsurprisingly, the vinyl appears to be more dynamic in its mastering (dramatically so, when it comes to "What Comes Back" — which keeps crescendoing throughout on the vinyl, whereas the digital version starts hitting the 0dBFS mark about two minutes in and just stays there for the remainder). My turntable has a slightly wonky belt-drive rather than being time-clocked precisely, but after I corrected the speed in a DAW everything lined up pretty well with the digital version.

I can't comment on the CD specifically, since I don't have it, but I suspect any discrepancies in timing on the liner notes are probably just misprints, because those two tracks are basically the same in terms of content for both the digital and vinyl formats. Again, the CD may differ. What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).
    Last edited by botley; 09-28-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).
    Ah, I see. It's basically a difference of opinion as to where one song ends and the other begins. The CD timing is the same as the digital. I agree though, it sounds like the vinyl timing is probably more correct.

Thanks for checking, botley.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    received my vietnam war cd from pbs.org today. love this soundtrack so much.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)
    Lots of Ghosts, precise tracklisting in each end credits

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like the others said, there's a LOT of ghosts tracks. The instrumental version of The Wretched also made an appearance in one of the early episodes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As per the episode credits, this is what i have so far for additional NIN & TR&AR tracks:

Ep 1
    A Familiar Taste – TSN
    13 Ghosts II
    Later Into the Night – TGWTDT
    32 Ghosts IV

Ep 2
    32 Ghosts IV
    34 Ghosts IV
    1 Ghosts I
    12 Ghosts II

Ep 3
    28 Ghosts IV
    Pieces Form the Whole - TSN
    1 Ghosts I
    34 Ghosts IV
    32 Ghosts IV

Ep 4
    12 Ghosts II
    Pinned and Mounted - TGWTDT
    The Wretched (Instrumental)
    13 Ghosts II
    The Beginning of the End (Instrcumental)

Ep 5
    12 Ghosts II
    13 Ghosts II

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've become obsessed with the wailing guitar over the last 2 minutes of What Comes Back

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i also heard the wretched in a couple episodes. definately ghosts 1, 2, 13....and more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.
    Wow. Nothing like that on my copy — small mark on side three, not affecting play, but otherwise mine was pristine. Looks like you got a manufacturing defect, I'd still ask if you can return it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    You ppl may not have access to recordings... (I forgot how cool is Free.fr for freedom) here are credits for 1&2

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Are any of these tracks from Ghosts or TSN or TGWTDT different at all? I remember reading that they would be "reworked".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is turning out to be my favourite of their soundtracks. Can't even put my finger on why.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    cause its damn good! TR +AR are getting better with every score.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah they are. I liked all of the soundtracks so far without really loving any of them, but this one in particular has resonated with me. It might be something to do with the way it reminds me a bit of Still....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.
    I'd go with no, a lot of albums haven't had it lately, wonder if there's some labels not liking it

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-O...tnam+war+score

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world
    Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).

The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.

http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).
    The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.
    http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt
    I stopped at the autorip initial question, I see.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Thanks, I couldn't find it in the UK store at the time but I was also using mobile and Amazon hides some categories of products in the mobile view I think. I've since found it. http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt £9.59 in MP3.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Already asked that. No it doesn't, even in USA, but the other vietnam war is

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

I like that even Atticus' autograph is shy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i keep wanting to listen to the whole soundtrack again but just end up putting "before and after faith" on repeat. there's such a thing as a track being TOO good, TR/AR. tone it down a bit.

sidenote, i just finished the first episode. finally understanding what the fuck that war was about is brutal and fascinating. man, thank goodness we got over that shit and EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.